Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by worgpower »

Damn that’s weird
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It seems to use the regular dreamrunner/windsteed skeleton and animations, but those face plumes don't seem to be compatible with it without some modification. If they stretched rather than went through the model maybe it'd look fine :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've added the new looks to the database:

None of them seem to be in the game yet.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Man, I hate when my ear stabs my neck too. Hope they fix that. Part of me thinks the frog won't be tameable though, considering we STILL have no new frogs aside from the plague toad. Would be nice to have a tree frog, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

EDIT: AH! I KNOW WHY I LIKE THE BIRDSTEED SO MUCH NOW. It reminded me of this critter from Neopets. Was one of my favorite petpets when I played that as a kid.
13385.gif
13385.gif (2.99 KiB) Viewed 3633 times

My Flight Rising lair

Times banned from World of Warcraft: 1
Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Also of interest, they've added a new Maldraxxus darkhound mount in this build which includes some colours not seen on the non-mount model. The texture files for this mount consist of a full-resolution regular (non-mount) skin on the left combined with saddle textures on the right. What this means is if you crop just the body texture half of the image and apply it to the non-mount model you get three new stitched darkhound colours, and they look great! Hopefully the art team at Blizzard can publish just the body halves for the regular darkhound model.

darkhound2_mount_draka_black-cropped.png
darkhound2_mount_draka_black-cropped.png (351.84 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
darkhound2_mount_draka_blue-cropped.png
darkhound2_mount_draka_blue-cropped.png (395.57 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
darkhound2_mount_draka_olive-cropped.png
darkhound2_mount_draka_olive-cropped.png (390.78 KiB) Viewed 3633 times

The mount also comes in green, but it's nearly identical to the existing green stitched darkhound appearance, just a little sharper:

darkhound2_mount_draka_green-cropped.png
darkhound2_mount_draka_green-cropped.png (381.78 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Digging the stitched dogs more and more every time I see them. I just can't decide which color I like more. Olive is in the lead right now for me, but I gotta see them ingame.

Also, a trivial suggestion; rather than calling them owl steeds, why not call them flightless hippogryphs? Because other than the lack of antlers and talons, they are totally hippogryphs.

My Flight Rising lair

Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I would love to see a normal version of the stitched darkhounds, especially black, and they could add a regular black to revendreth to replace those boring darkhound colors
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

worgpower wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:43 am Yeah, Blizz should of made grubs tameable a while ago too, there’s no reason to leave them out of the worm family, they only let people tame grubs for 1 patch and that’s it, let everyone have one, same with rodents that deserve tameability, anyone with me on this
This would be a great expansion to add both larvae and rats!
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

GormanGhaste wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:38 pm
worgpower wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:43 am Yeah, Blizz should of made grubs tameable a while ago too, there’s no reason to leave them out of the worm family, they only let people tame grubs for 1 patch and that’s it, let everyone have one, same with rodents that deserve tameability, anyone with me on this
This would be a great expansion to add both larvae and rats!
Not only those two, we need all the elephants, giraffes, Kunchongs, maybe cloud serpents, hellhounds(plz Blizz), horses, wicker beasts(not hounds), brutosaur, and other undead beasts like devilsaur, wind serpent, nerubian flyers and skitterers, and last but not least, the skeleton raptor, now you can tame anything in wow :headbang:
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

(More) Rodents, grubs, snakes and pigs should just be tameable already. :C

Did I miss any?
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

We can’t forget alpacas, camels, and aqir Goliaths
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Druids too!

My Flight Rising lair

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Well we can already tame some druids, ankylodon a, sabertusks, owlcats(if you learned the tome), grey pterrordax(most similar to zandalari form), and the great stags with and without the patterns, moose too
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I'll give you the owlcat since that's 100% a druid form, but the others are too much of a stretch. Ankylodons are lacking the tusks and cool jewelry, sabertusks are lacking the markings and jewelry, the pterrodax uses a skin that's too different from the current new pterrordax look, and the stags are missing everything other than the skeleton. I want tameable druids, not animals that druids base themselves on! Lemme tame those tauren bears from D.E.H.T.A.; nobody will miss them!

My Flight Rising lair

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

of interest: https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/1286487274725625857
Sadly, I no longer have a Twitter account, otherwise I would've said Kunchong, Aqir Goliaths, Cloud Serpents, Brutosaur, Alpaca, Maggots, Pigs, Wicker Beats, Aqir Worms and the Blood God Worm. for old models.

And for Shadowlands creatures: Maw Roaches, Tauraluses, all types of Gorm, Owl Steeds, those stitched Maldraxxus bats.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

I don't have twitter either, but man I want that frog with the mask.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Threw my lot in on there. Guy also pointed out something that made me think; Nighthold's scorpids. The excuse of multiple parts isn't valid anymore since we've got pets with multiple parts right now such as Osca and that one hippo. If anything, I'd like to see that now. Would be neat, even if scorpids are pretty bad pets.

My Flight Rising lair

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

WerebearGuy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:05 am Threw my lot in on there. Guy also pointed out something that made me think; Nighthold's scorpids. The excuse of multiple parts isn't valid anymore since we've got pets with multiple parts right now such as Osca and that one hippo. If anything, I'd like to see that now. Would be neat, even if scorpids are pretty bad pets.
It may work for pets made more recently, but we do not know yet if the Nighthold Scorpids have been built that way or not.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've updated the untameable models page with a bunch more stuff, including firehawks & phoenixes, skeletal / firelands hellhounds, the astral cloud serpent (Titan construct model), and the two ground snake models: https://www.wow-petopia.com/gallery.php?id=unusedmodels

phoenixes.png
phoenixes.png (673.77 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
infernalHH.png
infernalHH.png (2.14 MiB) Viewed 3391 times
astralCS.png
astralCS.png (288.7 KiB) Viewed 3391 times
snakes.png
snakes.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 3391 times
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Thanks Wain! I was looking for the skelly-dogs the other day, thought we might have already had them somewhere. I think they'd just be such fantastic hunter pets, especially with an undead. :D

The python models really feel overdue for the serpent family as well. I can see perhaps not adding the critter-resolution ones, but the MoP ones hold up very well.