Flying in WoD

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Flying in WoD

Unread post by Lisaara »

Wain wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:
Gimlion wrote: Well they made the flight paths long and scenic before flying, so people could see hidden things that were unusual and out of reach (for the most part...)
Omg, that’s right, I forgot about that. It was pretty well done at the time when it was a very fresh "Undiscovered" world. Some of them almost gave you a little zone "Preview" on the way in and out or even glimpses of caves or instances and the likes you would maybe not have noticed otherwise.
The dancing trolls! I was so disappointed when they turned out to be hostile. They seemed so happy for all those years.

If we're going to be grounded for a patch or two, it would be cool if the flight paths could preview some intriguing things we can't get to, build up the enthusiasm :)
"Hey...hey....see this awesome place? *zooms toward awesome place* Wanna go there? TOO BAD! YOU CANT! *U-Turns away*" Rofl. XD I just imagine that now. Thanks.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Junrei wrote:... Northrend made it hard to not have flying(which is one of it's biggest flaws) but Pandaria fixed that nicely. ...
It's actually possible to get the "explore Northrend" achievement without flying. It was the first thing I did on my main (feral druid), even before leveling at all. I got every subzone except for one in Storm Peaks (the one at the top of the pillar mountain, which I later found a spot to discover it at the base). It was thrilling to prowl through icecrown. I actually saw two of the rare spawns there, and probably should have tried killing them but I was so nervous sneaking past those undead giants.

I like being grounded during the leveling process, cataclysm quests were a disaster because you just leap frogged everything. The klaxxi quests also suffered as soon as a player could just fly around. But I still think there's better ways to keep people grounded during max level quest chains than to keep the whole continent grounded the whole expansion.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I couldn't get to Icecrown or Storm Peaks(certain areas) without flying. That's what I meant by 'disaster'. Pandaria didn't need secret passages to get you from point A to point B. Northrend did. I apparently didn't know how to get into those areas. I couldn't get into Sholazar Basin without flying either.

LisaaraPokefarm

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Sholazar had an entrance from the Tundra.

I liked Northrend and Outlands set up for flying...Max level with extra areas to quest in once you got flying, like Storm Peaks. Still one of my favorite zones. Outland flying lead to Netherdrake stuff and some things in Netherstorm I believe.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Junrei wrote:I couldn't get into Sholazar Basin without flying either.
But.. the road, as seen on the map of the zone, leads directly into Sholazar.
Even from the ground, you can clearly see that the road ahead leads into the next zone.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

This is one change I do not like at all. I understand their reasoning, but it doesn't convince me. I am fine with WoD starting that way, but the idea of all of WoD being no flying I don't like. I hope they keep their promise about flight paths being more direct and I really hope they make more direct ground paths than Pandaria did because many Pandaria ground paths were atrocious imo.

Either way, I'll give it a fair shot. They owe me no particular allegiance nor I them, so at the end of the day, I vote with my money. Pretty simple in my eyes.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Junrei wrote:
Danielfboone wrote:
Junrei wrote:I've done it with quest mobs too. How the heck do you think I put up with HFP? XD

I too like exploring on foot at first. I also didn't mind not flying on IoT or TI. I actually liked that aspect of it. It felt for surreal, more exploring to be done. You wanna get up to that cliff? You actually used your noggin to figure out how to get up there.
The first time anyone ever did Hellfire Peninsula, flying didn't even exist. What people do on alts running it later is irrelevant.
No, it's still relevant. You can't dismiss evidence of people doing it just because you want to support your view. Everything is relevant. Doesn't matter if it's current expansion or not. Not trying to be snippy or anything but I feel it's disrespectful to dismiss evidence like that.
Not at all. The point was that we very rarely have been able to fly while doing leveling quests so the blue's reference about flying over walls to kill a mob is not a good excuse at all since we could only do that in one expansion. You could not fly in BC until max level so what you can do now is not really evidence and does not apply to an upcoming expansion. His reasoning for possibly eliminating it therefore loses a lot of credibility. Even doing that in max level quests can sometimes be harder and more dangerous than going in on foot and eliminating other mobs around the objective before engaging it. Therefore, as I said, I don't do it. Also, even if it is done, how is it any different from Rogues or Druids (or even us Hunters with Camouflage) sneaking past mobs and not fighting them? You still have to be careful where you land.

As I have also said, I'm perfectly fine with no flying during leveling and even waiting afterwards until the first patch, but I'm totally against not having it for the entire expansion.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Sukurachi wrote:
Even from the ground, you can clearly see that the road ahead leads into the next zone.
There's a road? >>;

LisaaraPokefarm

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Junrei wrote:
Sukurachi wrote:
There's a road? >>;
:o

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

That road was the first place I went so I could mine Saronite..

But relating back to flying and gathering, it will help level the playing field some between max level and those still leveling.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Junrei wrote:I couldn't get to Icecrown or Storm Peaks(certain areas) without flying. That's what I meant by 'disaster'. Pandaria didn't need secret passages to get you from point A to point B. Northrend did. I apparently didn't know how to get into those areas. I couldn't get into Sholazar Basin without flying either.
For Storm Peak, there's a frozen waterfall coming down from the 'inaccessible' area. If you die in just the right spot, you get sent to the graveyard up above. You take the spirit rez there and the rest of Storm Peaks is accessible from there. Well, discovering every subzone is accessible, there's still a lot of stuff you can't explore fully. From Storm Peaks, you can drop down into Icecrown. The other tricky subzone to discover was one of the cliff temples in Sholazar. I didn't have to do any gimmicky stuff like spirit rezing to get there. I did however, splatter on the ground a fraction of a second after discovering that last subzone there.

I kind of like finding secret passages, and there were a couple in Pandaria (less gimmicky than spirit rezing), but I can understand how one would find near mandatory flying (like in Storm Peaks) a disaster.
Slickrock wrote: But relating back to flying and gathering, it will help level the playing field some between max level and those still leveling.
That's the worst, isn't it? Fighting your way to a node, to get a skill point in mining, and someone swoops in already max level before one week is up. Cataclysm was too far in the other direction though, with lots of lowbies ninjaing all the mining nodes in northern Uldum for months.
Last edited by Xota on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Welp. Shows how observant I am!

LisaaraPokefarm

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Xota wrote:
Junrei wrote:I couldn't get to Icecrown or Storm Peaks(certain areas) without flying. That's what I meant by 'disaster'. Pandaria didn't need secret passages to get you from point A to point B. Northrend did. I apparently didn't know how to get into those areas. I couldn't get into Sholazar Basin without flying either.
For Storm Peak, there's a frozen waterfall coming down from the 'inaccessible' area. If you die in just the right spot, you get sent to the graveyard up above. You take the spirit rez there and the rest of Storm Peaks is accessible from there. Well, discovering every subzone is accessible, there's still a lot of stuff you can't explore fully. From Storm Peaks, you can drop down into Icecrown. The other tricky subzone to discover was one of the cliff temples in Sholazar. I didn't have to do any gimmicky stuff like spirit rezing to get there. I did however, splatter on the ground a fraction of a second after discovering that last subzone there.

I kind of like finding secret passages, and there were a couple in Pandaria (less gimmicky than spirit rezing), but I can understand how one would find near mandatory flying (like in Storm Peaks) a disaster.
Slickrock wrote: But relating back to flying and gathering, it will help level the playing field some between max level and those still leveling.
That's the worst, isn't it? Fighting your way to a node, to get a skill point in mining, and someone swoops in already max level before one week is up. Cataclysm was too far in the other direction though, with lots of lowbies ninjaing all the mining nodes in northern Uldum for months.
??? everyone will be on their ground mounts, riding for the same ore.. no dropping in from the sky, for now at least.

But remember, you'll also be mining in your garrison.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

Naw *pats Junrei* it's ok :)

Speaking of mining...remember when people would wall hack and get nods from underground in wintergrasp? You'd see a node, get all excited and find out you couldn't mine it cause some gold farmer had broken the world and was mining it under your feet?? Jeez i did. So many server restarts it wasn't funny ><

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Castile wrote:Naw *pats Junrei* it's ok :)

Speaking of mining...remember when people would wall hack and get nods from underground in wintergrasp? You'd see a node, get all excited and find out you couldn't mine it cause some gold farmer had broken the world and was mining it under your feet?? Jeez i did. So many server restarts it wasn't funny ><
Omg yes! I hated that! They did it in Pandaria too. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

Archaeology is going to be such a pain, even WITH more direct flight paths.

I think my biggest concern right now is for alts: cataclysm zones are NOT designed to be done without flying, but you can't buy 280 flying until 80 (edit: liar liar pants on fire, it's 280 at 70, I blame this campground internet for my ignorance!). Your (my) choice is go slow for five levels or spend 4-5k for five levels (ten if they remove the Pandaria flying restriction and make it cost significantly less). My most recent paladin leveled to 90 without having any flying at all but only because I had the
patience to run vortex pinnacle about a million times with warlocks who wouldn't turn their demon hunting glyph wings off... And I only really have the patience to do that like, once or twice every few years :/

I don't mind not flying (when I'm safe on a pve server) but you can't do deep holm without flying, vashj'ir's seahorse requires flying to use, Uldum without flying is very difficult, and twilight highlands is a mess.

And yeah. Being able to fly lets me retain a touch of sanity on pvp servers where I would otherwise never venture out of town except to raid.
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Xella, the no fly thing is just Draenor. Cata zones, panda, BC, or Wrath zones are still the same.

This error is what is making people panic. Blizz said repeatedly it's just Draenor. Nothing else. Everything else remains unchanged.(Not singling you out here. This is an enormous trend I'm noticing in places besides here).

LisaaraPokefarm

Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall-US

Unread post by Xella »

No no, I'm aware of that--sorry if I was unclear, my issue lies in how expensive premium flying is and how little you'll get to use it on alts, with expedited leveling and no flying at cap. 280 is at 70 so you can use that for twenty levels if they change Pandaria flying, but 310 is at 80 so it's even more of a status/luxury thing when you can't make use of it. It's kind of a stupid gripe and there are many like it, but this one is mine lol

(This is largely only an issue for me because I hate not buying all my training and having that stupid golden glow around skills I haven't purchased in the general tab :x)
Current main: Xella-Skywall | Art Stuffs | Brains.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Oooooh! That's a different concern all together. My apologies. Trust me, I agree 100% that flying is too damn expensive. Not all of us are AH wizards.

LisaaraPokefarm