9.2 PTR Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Re: 9.2 PTR Beast Thread

Unread post by Valnaaros »

DannyGreen wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:01 pm Spiders look coolest so far. the bears are cool, but The spiders are just great.

What kind of mechanical things are you expecting to see?
I kind of want to see the possible mecha turtle. We need more turtles. Maybe that mount bird. Though it seems to use the same thing as the 6 month blue chicken so I don't expect that.
There are wild versions of the bird mount, so we should be able to tame it :)
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Not a beast, but this is an early look of what I presume is Sylvanas' new model.

WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

It's funny how these are meant to be progenitors, but they just look like slightly altered versions of Earth animals. Very little imagination there, honestly. Progenitors should look weird as hell; for example, whales first looked like hooved rats. That's a progenitor. This? It's an abstract art project at best. Not that I dislike the floating rock aesthetic, but it does not feel like a progenitor thing at all.

@Val; what I meant by low-res is that the textures look like they're low quality. You shouldn't be seeing edges on the textures like that close up of the stag. It's extremely low quality texture work, like a small texture that was poorly upscaled to fit the model.

EDIT: The fun part I'm looking forward to is seeing which of these we CAN'T tame. I'm sure the itty bitty critters are a no-go unless they are mechanicals, but there's a lot that may not even be tameable.
Last edited by WerebearGuy on Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Flight Rising lair

Times banned from World of Warcraft: 1
Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Here is another, even if distant, view of the newt-like creature, being chased by a mechanical bear cub.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

@Werebear But that isn't what they are wanting to portray. They want it to be clear that when you're exploring this new zone, that you can see these beasts and be able to realize that they are the concept of beasts that ended up in the Shadowlands. That couldn't be conveyed if there was robotic flying cow and some npc told you that was the concept for the turtles in Bastion.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Most of them can just be thrown into Mechanicals, since that is basically what they all are (aside from the Devourers). That said, I think those that end up tameable will end up in whatever family you would expect for them to normally be in. The only one that cannot is the snail, which would need to have a new family.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

It's just that their wording and intentions don't seem to match. "Early Concept" fits better than progenitor. Minor detail is all.

My Flight Rising lair

Times banned from World of Warcraft: 1
Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Honestly, I'd rather they just make a new family called like, "Prototype" and have it be a book from the new Brokers that we have to earn to learn to tame. (With an account-wide unlock like most taming books)

Would feel weird if we just landed in Zereth Mortis and immediately were able to tame creatures that aren't technically "finished" lifeforms.

But if we had a book from the Brokers that taught us how, it'd make more sense, since they've been there for so long.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Maizou wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:45 pm Honestly, I'd rather they just make a new family called like, "Prototype" and have it be a book from the new Brokers that we have to earn to learn to tame. (With an account-wide unlock like most taming books)

Would feel weird if we just landed in Zereth Mortis and immediately were able to tame creatures that aren't technically "finished" lifeforms.

But if we had a book from the Brokers that taught us how, it'd make more sense, since they've been there for so long.
That makes sense, even though we were able to tame soulseekers straight away without skill, it’s a thing only mawsworn usually control and command

Edit-I noticed the new axolotl lizard thing uses the new warpstalker animations, so I hope Blizz gives us those animations, and maybe apply them to saurolisks, i hate the slow walk while running in super speed
Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

worgpower wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:49 pm
Maizou wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:45 pm Honestly, I'd rather they just make a new family called like, "Prototype" and have it be a book from the new Brokers that we have to earn to learn to tame. (With an account-wide unlock like most taming books)

That makes sense, even though we were able to tame soulseekers straight away without skill, it’s a thing only mawsworn usually control and command

Edit-I noticed the new axolotl lizard thing uses the new warpstalker animations, so I hope Blizz gives us those animations, and maybe apply them to saurolisks, i hate the slow walk while running in super speed
Well, the soulseekers are the spirit of a wolf infused into armor, so it makes sense we could tame them, they're just dead wolves. (As we learn when we craft the shadehound mount)

These are unfinished prototypes of lifeforms.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Maizou wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:51 pm
worgpower wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:49 pm

Well, the soulseekers are the spirit of a wolf infused into armor, so it makes sense we could tame them, they're just dead wolves. (As we learn when we craft the shadehound mount)

These are unfinished prototypes of lifeforms.
I just finished watching the video, and the wolves have some realistic running animations, while I’m obsessed with rigging, I noticed the new toads also have a little bit of head bobbing as opposed to the toads of bfa
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

I don't see "wolves" do you have any screen grabs?
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I wouldn't mind it either way, whether they just added them to existing families or made a new Prototype family. One thing to note is that since these are the concept forms of beasts in the Shadowlands, their behavior would likely be fairly similar, so we should still be able to tame them with the knowledge that we would have of the beasts in the Shadowlands.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

DannyGreen wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:08 pm I don't see "wolves" do you have any screen grabs?
It is these

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Here is a view of a couple of them running

Here is a close up view of the new spider
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

There might also be a new worm model.

There is also this thing, though I haven't seen anything like it in the trailer, unless it is concept art for the toad.
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

Valnaaros wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:09 pm
It is these

Oh... I thought they were foxes.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It is possible that they are. If so, they are using the vanilla Worg rigging instead of the fox rigging.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Here is another view of the wasps. Seems there are at least two variants: red and black & gold.

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Valnaaros wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:32 pm It is possible that they are. If so, they are using the vanilla Worg rigging instead of the fox rigging.
I think it’s a entirely new rigging, i hope it stands with its chest up, like a true wolf, we need cats that don’t sway back and forth towards the ground, something like a real lion and tiger would do