Special character names no longer permitted

Read-only since Patch 4.3 is now live.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Special character names no longer permitted

Unread post by Lisaara »

wildstormz wrote:Where is the proof link ??? I would like to see the link thanks.
Proof of what? Accented characters or the patch notes?

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

wildstormz
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shandris

Unread post by wildstormz »

Proof of Special character names no longer permitted been gone...I have toons i name Vyñstùss Etc... I'm hoping when new hero class comes i could still use the awesome writing.
Himeko
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Himeko »

Jessibelle wrote:
Himeko wrote:At least I use one special character if I have to in my names. I love the name Himeko and it's taken on almost all the US servers I play on, so I had to use a funny "o" at the end, same with Mio and Chikane. I try my best to keep it at the end so that it doesn't make it too hard on people. Besides, I use the character map that is on all computers, so I honestly don't understand why people QQ about the characters, but then it makes me realize just how not everyone knows how to use their computers properly, meaning more than for just gaming.
Thats why there's the easy google.com to google "Accented Characters" then use ctrl C for copy and Ctrl V for paste.
Oh I know, I just prefer to be all fancy and shit by using my character map. :"3

Himeko

Some say Legion will be the downfall of WoW, I disagree. WoD was the downfall and Legion will be there to raise WoW from the dead.
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

I think the WoW community as a whole swore into a pact many years ago that stated that they, as paying customers, must overreact over every change, no matter how small, as if it is the end of the world. It's interesting to see such a varied array of opinions on special characters of all things(and I don't know a single person who actually uses them properly, but that may just be me) but I, for one, welcome a time where I don't have to frantically mash alt codes trying to pinpoint Búttkïçkèr in a PvP situation.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

wildstormz wrote:Proof of Special character names no longer permitted been gone...I have toons i name Vyñstùss Etc... I'm hoping when new hero class comes i could still use the awesome writing.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/247 ... 4.3-on-PTR
Scroll down to the blue patch notes, it's the first paragraph.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nubhorns wrote:I think the WoW community as a whole swore into a pact many years ago that stated that they, as paying customers, must overreact over every change, no matter how small, as if it is the end of the world. It's interesting to see such a varied array of opinions on special characters of all things(and I don't know a single person who actually uses them properly, but that may just be me) but I, for one, welcome a time where I don't have to frantically mash alt codes trying to pinpoint Búttkïçkèr in a PvP situation.
You still dont.

Right Click > Whisper

Ta-da! No frantic button mashing.

And honestly, in pvp, you really dont need to be talking to anyone unless it's a rated BG. Even then, you got the BG chat and Raid Chat.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Jessibelle wrote:
Nubhorns wrote:I think the WoW community as a whole swore into a pact many years ago that stated that they, as paying customers, must overreact over every change, no matter how small, as if it is the end of the world. It's interesting to see such a varied array of opinions on special characters of all things(and I don't know a single person who actually uses them properly, but that may just be me) but I, for one, welcome a time where I don't have to frantically mash alt codes trying to pinpoint Búttkïçkèr in a PvP situation.
You still dont.

Right Click > Whisper

And honestly, in pvp, you really dont need to be talking to anyone unless it's a rated BG. Even then, you got the BG chat and Raid Chat.
You're missing the point here, though. This isn't for whispering them. It's for *attacking* them. Instead of clicking on someone, people /target them for whatever. But you can't /target a pet or person who's got accents in the name like that.

In fact, I suspect that might've had something to do with the 'no special characters' to be honest.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

Kurasu wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:
You still dont.

Right Click > Whisper

You're missing the point here, though. This isn't for whispering them. It's for *attacking* them. Instead of clicking on someone, people /target them for whatever. But you can't /target a pet or person who's got accents in the name like that.

In fact, I suspect that might've had something to do with the 'no special characters' to be honest.
-tilts head...- /confused

I really dont know if its just me or not...everyone plays differently I know. But I have *never* once tried to type out a name during a PVP event just to target someone...Tab Targetting, and having their health bars over their heads has always made it where I can either like I said tab target, or click the health bar when I see it. This has always worked well even if they are hiding behind rocks or trees.

I guess I could understand a healer wanting to make like a heal macro for his buddy he's PVPing with or something, but even then, that would have been made far before the PVP event even started....I dont know, just this whole thing with having special characters effects my ability to attack someone thing confuses me. Ive just never had this problem, ever.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I have. Not often, but if you're trying to pinpoint someone you know is lurking in a building or otherwise out of immediate view (thanks, Track Humanoid!) then skulking around outside and typing /tar (whatever) is your best bet.

Using /tar is good for making sure you catch people waiting to jump down and grab the flag in WSG too.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

The only time I hated special characters was while filing a ticket. Makes it a little obnoxious to go find a character map to use the codes or copy and paste into my ticket. ;-;
ImageImage
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Nachtwulf wrote:I have. Not often, but if you're trying to pinpoint someone you know is lurking in a building or otherwise out of immediate view (thanks, Track Humanoid!) then skulking around outside and typing /tar (whatever) is your best bet.

Using /tar is good for making sure you catch people waiting to jump down and grab the flag in WSG too.
Maybe its just something with my ElvUI I suppose. Ive always been able to see Enemy Health bars (Once I make them visible) through Walls / Ceilings / ect.

But I guess in any other situation I could easily be wrong too. Hmm....
Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

I can see the health bars too if I hit "V" I generally turn that on in PvP. So its in the default UI. :)
ImageImage
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kurasu wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:
You still dont.

Right Click > Whisper

Not really.

V = show enemy name plates

oooor

tab = will target the nearest enemy

LisaaraPokefarm

Catlover74
Realm: Area 52, Alleria

Unread post by Catlover74 »

Oh gosh. o_O

I use special character names for names like...
Sonya.. Ragehowl...
Stuff like that, you know, the names that are going to be obviously taken...
Sadly I'm not going to be too happy about this. :(
Dragon Cave | MagiStream | Tale of Dragons | Project Nyoka
Yeah, my usernames kind of vary site to site. I don't use Catlover74 much anymore though. 7/31/13
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

Meggers wrote:I can see the health bars too if I hit "V" I generally turn that on in PvP. So its in the default UI. :)
You make it sound like you usually do not have the health bars turned on. o.O
I am "blind" without the healthbars. If something is in my face I don't see it unless the health bar is on. Too used to always seeing the bars, I guess.

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Morven
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Morven »

I wonder if this also has to be about people reporting issues with players not being able to type the player's name. Easy to mispoint blame that way.
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Miyon wrote:
Meggers wrote:I can see the health bars too if I hit "V" I generally turn that on in PvP. So its in the default UI. :)
I am "blind" without the healthbars. If something is in my face I don't see it unless the health bar is on. Too used to always seeing the bars, I guess.
Well I used to have a Addon...hell if I can remember the name now that gave me pretty health bars over everything. But before that, never used them before, all through BC and +half of Wrath. =P
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Hmm. On the surface it makes sense, though I think some are downplaying the fact that if you want a name with an actual (RL) meaning, it can take forever to find one that isn't taken - or sometimes never. There are only so many words and with x million subscribers I think we have reached a point of diminishing returns with new toon naming.

Granted it looks sort of "eh" to see a (non-foreign) name that uses "fake letters", but what if (for example) that player is active, really into using that name, and the original nameholder meanwhile hasn't played their toon in a year or 2?

For myself, I'd rather have more tanks and healers with funny characters in their names, than have many of those players get frustrated and try something else because every name they can think of is already taken.

Just my 0.2
Meggers

Unread post by Meggers »

Miyon wrote:

I don't display them normally when I'm doing PvE crap or achievements, it clutters the screen. I'm a bit of a minimalist. XD
ImageImage
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Meggers wrote:
Miyon wrote:

I don't display them normally when I'm doing PvE crap or achievements, it clutters the screen. I'm a bit of a minimalist. XD
I have em on all the time. I'm a clicker so it helps.

LisaaraPokefarm