Something to think of on the forums

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Something to think of on the forums

Unread post by Boven »

There are a lot of people playing WoW and, as a result, a lot of different preferences and play styles.

When reading and responding to questions posted and opinions stated by others, it's always a good thing to remember that just because that person does things differently, they're not necessarily doing it wrong. There's no real 'wrong' way to play a hunter. Okay, there are some, like a melee hunter with no pet or something. Still, just because one person has no use for a talent or ability doesn't mean that another doesn't. It's unavoidable that we're going to encounter people in game and on the forums who feel differently about something than we do.

I was reminded of this by an entry in a friend's journal in which he posted the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFuniFSP2fo

There've been some snarky and downright unpleasant responses in some of the threads here on the forums lately. I hate seeing that kind of stuff, personally. I kinda figure when we see something we don't agree with or someone stating something we consider 'wrong,' then it's time to think a bit before responding. If and when we do respond, reread what's been typed. Try to imagine it from the other person's perspective and see if it actually sounds rude or insulting if read in a certain way.

Most importantly, be courteous and open to new ideas. Just because 'everyone does it that way' doesn't mean another way might not also be good.

And for the record, I'm in Archie's camp, even if he's the one being close minded in the above video.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Something to think of on the forums

Unread post by Lisaara »

I totally agree with you hun.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Because insisting that weapon damage sucks and then refusing to change your opinion is not wrong? It's the strongest stat for hunters, simple as that.

And yes, that's what the latest fighting was about, and it ended with someone getting banned for saying the fucking truth. -.-

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Saturo wrote:Because insisting that weapon damage sucks and then refusing to change your opinion is not wrong? It's the strongest stat for hunters, simple as that.
Sometimes it's also good to know when to let go. If someone is showing lack of interest in changing their opinions, no amount of sense or namecalling or what have you will ever change that. The only way a person will ever change their mind is because THEY decide to - others can't force it.

Just because someone else is being stubborn doesn't mean you have to follow them. ;)

Recently I've had a specific song playing in my head that really fits to the situation...
It's okay to not like things...
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Saturo wrote:And yes, that's what the latest fighting was about, and it ended with someone getting banned for saying the fucking truth. -.-

No, someone got banned for being needlessly pedantic and aggressive, not for saying the truth. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Edit: Removed snarkery. Play nice, Nub.
Last edited by Nubhorns on Thu May 12, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nubhorns wrote:
Saturo wrote:And yes, that's what the latest fighting was about, and it ended with someone getting banned for saying the fucking truth. -.-

No, someone got banned for being needlessly pedantic and aggressive, not for saying the truth. It's not what you say, it's how you say it. Nice shot at fearmongering though!
Your image made me giggle. Where do you find all these images? XD

(and on that last argument, I stated to correct me if I was wrong but I digress. I'd rather not bring it up again. Anyone whos curious can see the 4.2 topic for themselves)

@Golden - I love that song. XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Lots of places! I got most of the MLP-related ones from my boyfriend(who insists that he has about 500+ sitting around), and I pick up the others mostly on the Livejournal communities I lurk/read(Warcraftsues, Stupidfree, Deviantartsnark etc.). If all else fails a quick google for 'reaction GIFs' can get you quite a few. ;P

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nubhorns wrote:Image

Lots of places! I got most of the MLP-related ones from my boyfriend(who insists that he has about 500+ sitting around), and I pick up the others mostly on the Livejournal communities I lurk/read(Warcraftsues, Stupidfree, Deviantartsnark etc.). If all else fails a quick google for 'reaction GIFs' can get you quite a few. ;P
You might wanna check out Fandomwank on Journalfen sometime. I've seen some funny things there (and there's a crapton of MLP wank too....you might love it.)

LisaaraPokefarm

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

How was Makkie being needlessly pedantic? All he did was tell Talu to stop putting completely incorrect facts as the truth, though I will admit he got a little bit more aggressive after you did your usual thing and completely ignored any logic.

Also, keep the thread serious.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Golden »

He said it in such aggressive way that only awakens more displeasure and anger. If you go into a topic calling people "kids" and "whiners", people will immediately switch to defensive stance and will be even more reluctant to listen to what you have to say.
Last edited by Golden on Thu May 12, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

This isn't the first time Makkie's attacked Jess - because she's easy to bicker with or because she just posts on similar topics, I have no idea, and it's not relevant to the topic at hand anyway so we can ease up on the less-than-subtle stabs at her already - but he's been scolded for it before and he did it again. It's not that the mod came out of nowhere and murdered an innocent here - he got a short vacation for overstepping the line one too many times.

Like I said before, it's not what you say, it's how you say it, and there's a point where it's better to just drop it entirely. Both of those were ignored and someone got some time to think it over. He's not a martyr, he's someone who pulled a jerk move and got punished for it. There are places where you can viciously debate intricacies back and forth and make fun of someone when they don't agree with you, but this is not one of them.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Saturo wrote:How was Makkie being needlessly pedantic? All he did was tell Talu to stop putting completely incorrect facts as the truth, though I will admit he got a little bit more aggressive after you did your usual thing and completely ignored any logic.

Also, keep the thread serious.
All I'm gonna say on this matter is Makkie had been snarky to more than just me multiple times. Thats probably what got him into trouble. It wasn't just that one incident, I'm sure. I'm not a mod so I don't know why he was banned 100% but I got a good guess after what I've seen. And I'll let you think I ignored stuff when I didn't cause I admitted I could be wrong about some things.

If you got a problem with me personally, leave it out of your open opinions and take it up with me personally in PM. I'm not a perfect person and I don't pretend to be such or to know all. People make mistakes.

LisaaraPokefarm

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Golden »

Seconding what Nub just said.

I think the biggest problem we have right now, is that people are holding onto their grudges against certain individuals and constantly looking for ways to bring it up. It's just a forum about a video game, can't we all just be friends? :( If you don't like someone, feel free to avoid their posts. Unless you have something nice to say, please find enough self control to not reply. Go punch a wall if that's what you like, but just quit with the (failingly) subtle attacks, because they're really affecting the community in a negative way.

</rant>

Because it's really starting to piss me off how some people just have to bring out their grudge about someone everywhere... It's not nice, it's not cool, you're just being childish about it.
Last edited by Golden on Thu May 12, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

The reason Makkie is "attacking" Talu is that she refuses to listen to any counterargument. His method is to make it blatantly obvious, but when that fails, who doesn't get pissed. Saying completely incorrect things, sticking your fingers in your ears and going LALALA isn't particularly innocent either.

I have never called (nor considered) him a martyr, nor was what he did a "jerk move". He's trying to teach someone immune to listening, which is apparently an impossible task.

I might also add that the "warning" system that's in place isn't getting used, at all. There are absolutely no warnings whatsoever issued before bans are issued out of the blue. The problem with this place isn't just with the people visiting it, but with the people who are "taking care" of it. I can agree that he might have overstepped the line in one of the posts, but is that any reason to be randomly banned? Nope. It might be a reason for a warning to be issued, but even that's a big Might.

GG, Petopia. GG. -.-

(And Saf, my ignore list is way overused. I'm just getting tired of all the idiocy being spread, both by users and by management.)

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Golden wrote:Seconding what Nub just said.

I think the biggest problem we have right now, is that people are holding onto their grudges against certain individuals and constantly looking for ways to bring it up. It's just a forum about a video game, can't we all just be friends? :( If you don't like someone, feel free to avoid their posts. Unless you have something nice to say, please find enough self control to not reply. Go punch a wall if that's what you like, but just quit with the (failingly) subtle attacks, because they're really affecting the community in a negative way.

</rant>
Agreed, Golden. I don't hate anyone here. Never have and never will most likely. I may not always agree with some people but having differing opinions doesn't mean we should be enemies. Plus text makes tone hard to portray so while the text could be totally innocent, someone could think it comes off as aggressive even if it wasn't the intention.

I'd really rather not see Petopia become the WoW Forums where everyones picking on each other and just being douches to each other.

LisaaraPokefarm

Ardawen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Lots of servers (all EU)

Unread post by Ardawen »

I don't post often, to be honest but i do prefer reading nice informative posts. I realy don't like it if people get nasty toward each other, so let's try not to go that way?
Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Silver Hand (H) Scarlet Crusade (A)

Unread post by Ashaine »

Golden wrote:Seconding what Nub just said.

</rant>

Because it's really starting to piss me off how some people just have to bring out their grudge about someone everywhere... It's not nice, it's not cool, you're just being childish about it.
^This. Just THIS. Not everyone is going to get along all the time. That's a given. But there ARE ways of handling things maturely. Just agree to disagree and move on. Bite your tongue if you have to, but let's try to keep this place friendly.

Ashaine Silverfel - <Dreadblade Assassins> - Silver Hand US - Faileas#1676
Deviantart | Facebook | Signature Shop | Flight Rising
"Not all who wander are lost."

Guildmaster • Hunter-Friendly RP Guild • Always Recruiting! • PM me!

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Saturo wrote:The reason Makkie is "attacking" Talu is that she refuses to listen to any counterargument. His method is to make it blatantly obvious, but when that fails, who doesn't get pissed. Saying completely incorrect things, sticking your fingers in your ears and going LALALA isn't particularly innocent either.

I have never called (nor considered) him a martyr, nor was what he did a "jerk move". He's trying to teach someone immune to listening, which is apparently an impossible task.

I might also add that the "warning" system that's in place isn't getting used, at all. There are absolutely no warnings whatsoever issued before bans are issued out of the blue. The problem with this place isn't just with the people visiting it, but with the people who are "taking care" of it. I can agree that he might have overstepped the line in one of the posts, but is that any reason to be randomly banned? Nope. It might be a reason for a warning to be issued, but even that's a big Might.

GG, Petopia. GG. -.-

(And Saf, my ignore list is way overused. I'm just getting tired of all the idiocy being spread, both by users and by management.)
There should at least be a warning system before a ban is issued (if that wasn't the case). Or maybe even do temp bans on both parties if its a he said, she said sort of thing.

Do Mods pay attention to the report button much? I have used it a few times when i see people bumping their own threads or creating multiple threads on the same topic, dont know if it ever does anything. Just curious is all.

And now a happy pic!
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

There is a warning system, but it's only been used, like, twice, both times by Mania. Whoever is on the mod account just bans right away, which makes the whole three strike system that's in place worthless. -.-

Mods only pay attention to the Report Post thingie when someone they like presses it, whenever it's for anything other than "QQ SOMEONE IS BUGGING ME BAN PLZ!" reports go completely ignored.

And now a happy pic!