Rekindling the Fire: Ratha's Creature Kickstarter

User avatar
Moonlost
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3888
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 am
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)
Gender: Fembot
Location: Satellite of Love

Rekindling the Fire: Ratha's Creature Kickstarter

Unread post by Moonlost »

I hesitate to put this up, as I'm unsure on the policies of what essentially amounts to advertising. But at the same time, it's a wonderful little project which might well suit the interests of many petopians and it could use a little bit of help. If I'm violating forum rules here, please delete this.

There's a series of books out there called "The Named", which started with a little book called "Ratha's Creature" that was published in 1983. The book series follows the life of the titular Ratha, who belongs to a race of sentient, intelligent prehistoric cats. Specifically, she belongs to one pride who has learned how to herd and domesticate various herbivores, rather than hunting for their food like others of their kind do. They call themselves "The Names" for, unlike others of their species, they choose names for themselves and have the ability to speak.
The first book goes through how Ratha discovers how to manipulate fire, and subsequent books go through what this new talent means for The Named, and them learning that the world is not as simple as they once believed.
It's a series that delves into some complicated themes, with rich character development and a wonderfully crafted world that I've not really seen in another series. There's so much to it, but saying more than I have would be spoiling it.

Recently, a small team of artists (and the author herself) have pooled together their talent to craft a graphic novel of the first book, with the possibility of the same treatment for the subsequent books in the series. In order to help fund this creation (and give out nifty little extras), they've set up a kickstarter. They're not quite there yet, and I would be remiss not to spread the word of this wonderful little project.

Anything more I could say would only be a retyping of what's already on the kickstarter page. So I'll just throw down a link. Whether or not you're familiar with the series, at least have a look. This is a small project done by a small number of people with a lot of passion for this series, and I promise that it's worth just a fraction of your time.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/she ... phic-novel

Image

User avatar
Wain
The Insane
The Insane
Posts: 14059
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am
Gender: Male

Re: Rekindling the Fire: Ratha's Creature Kickstarter

Unread post by Wain »

It sounds like a worthy project and perfectly good to post on this site :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
User avatar
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 6722
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:00 pm
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Rekindling the Fire: Ratha's Creature Kickstarter

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Sounds like an interesting series, have downloaded the first book.
Image
User avatar
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 4488
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:21 pm
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: Female

Re: Rekindling the Fire: Ratha's Creature Kickstarter

Unread post by Rawr »

GormanGhaste wrote:Sounds like an interesting series, have downloaded the first book.
Indeed it does, I still prefer holding my book to having it on my computer so I will have to make another run to the bookstore this week. :mrgreen:

Image

Post Reply