Dismiss Pet button - Is it really being removed?

Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Dismiss Pet button - Is it really being removed?

Unread post by Torachi »

Been lurking through the Beta forums this afternoon, since Beta is down for patching/maintenance, and I've come across this thread, which is discussing the loss of the Dismiss Pet button. Apparently now, we have to either make up our own macro to replace it, or simply right click our pet's portrait and dismiss them that way.

I'm not particularly sure how I feel about this. I tend to be clumsy and jittery when it comes to doing things quickly, so for tames like Deth'ilac, where you need a "sacrifice" pet to use until that buff drops, this would end up being a nightmare for me. When under a lot of adrenaline and nervousness, I tend to multi-click a lot, so I'd go to click on the sacrifice pet's portrait, and have to go through four or five tries just to get the drop down menu, and correctly click on dismiss; by that time, Deth would be eating my face off. On top of that, my current UI mod literally requires me to use the Dismiss Pet button - using the portrait dismiss method just prompts a pop-up stating to use the button. I am not willing to give up my UI mod though. It cleans up the entire UI and increases frame rates like nobody's business, and I don't think I could go back to any other mod for the UI.

I get that they're wanting to do a lot of button pruning... but is removing the Dismiss Pet button really that necessary?

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Re: Dismiss Pet button - Is it really being removed?

Unread post by Redith »

they better not. That would be on a level of dumb I can't believe
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Last I checked, its only missing for premades. Copied characters still have it. I will confirm when servers come up from maintenance.

On my premade, I had to right click the pet portrait to dismiss. Be very odd to remove a button for a function that was still active manually.
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Torachi »

Quivering wrote:Last I checked, its only missing for premades. Copied characters still have it. I will confirm when servers come up from maintenance.

On my premade, I had to right click the pet portrait to dismiss. Be very odd to remove a button for a function that was still active manually.
Right, but the way people were talking on the forum post I linked, it sounds like they actually are considering it. :/ The more I think about it, the more I really hope it is a bug or something. It just sounds more and more like a bad idea. But I'll wait until the Beta comes back up from maintenance before I really start panicking or something about it. >.>

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

ShootsAlot
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by ShootsAlot »

They're moving it to pet interface apparently if you right click your pet thats how you dismiss it, I really want the button back, it's annoying to have to go into it and the worst part, it's right next to the release pet button so say you're really tierd and trying to dismiss pet you might actually get rid of it by mistake for good, I really hope they bring it back...
What did the buffalo say when his son left? Simple: Bison
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Rather clunky change...hopefully that gets fixed/re-instated.
For me it will just require a slight modification to the macro I use for it anyways.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Bah cant post against this change since its on the beta forum. I really hate this change. its clunky, unneeded and adds the risk of abandoning a pet. I have a rather crappy mouse as is so drop down menus are a nightmare to get to and i often end up cloicking things i do NOT WANT TO CLICK! I can easily see myself in the middle of an intense solo and in need to swamping out pets, and in my frantic rush hitting the wrong button.
If they want to get rid of button bloat then add dismiss pet to the call pet button or make it a permanent option on the pet bar that wont take up a visible ability slot. (like the move to command) if there is no proper button to click everyone will just me making macros to get around it anyway so it wont save us any space. it will just add extra complications.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I prefer having a button as well, but even if this does go through I'm sure we can just make a macro button and have everything be the same, so no big deal. :)
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Vephriel wrote:I prefer having a button as well, but even if this does go through I'm sure we can just make a macro button and have everything be the same, so no big deal. :)
That's very ture!
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I heard it was an unintended bug in the latest beta build but since I'm no longer in the beta, I can't confirm it. I hope it doesn't go live like that.
Moonlost
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (Horde), Moonguard (Alliance)

Unread post by Moonlost »

I right-click dismiss on live personally, as I like to keep my bars relatively clean. To those paranoid over the chance of abandoning a pet, don't forget that if you do accidentally click abandon rather than dismiss, a pop-up confirming whether or not you want to abandon will appear. I don't think we need to rabble rouse for that point.
Still, I do prefer to see the button there for those who do use it rather than have it taken away entirely. I'm all for choice of play, and if you prefer that button there, then awesome. There's no logical reason why it should be removed as far as I can tell.

But, yeah, I'm thinking this is mostly just a bug for the moment. Until I hear official word that they're removing it from our spellbooks, I'd not get too upset.

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

As of tonights beta build, it is still missing. I did a premade, level 1, and a copy and all are missing the button. You can dismiss by right clicking frame still.

I got a wild idea and thought maybe they combined it with Tame Beast (since it is exclusive with that ability) similar to how they combined Mend Pet and Revive Pet. No dice. Some are suggesting on the forum that summoning a pet would auto-dismiss the current, and do like a couple second pacify on the pet or something.

Anyway, if its not a bug, I guess a macro slot will get taken up needlessly: /petdismiss
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Torachi »

I really hope they decide against this change... it's not about the fear of abandoning the pet, since safeguards are already in place for that. It's the fact that for most, having to dismiss via the nameplate menu is extremely clunky and inefficient. I understand that there are some who do use this particular method, but that was already there, and it was as simple as not putting the button on your bars. If they remove the button altogether, though, the people who prefer using it will have to make a macro, and there will still be another button on their bars regardless. It all just kind of defeats the purpose of them removing it to "avoid clutter".

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

I wonder at the rationale behind some of the decisions Blizzard has made so far in beta and this is one of them. I understand they're trying to reduce 'button bloat,' but the Dismiss Pet button is something people actually use. Admittedly, I doubt folks use it anywhere near as frequently as they use other buttons. Still, some of us prefer doing it via the button rather than the two-step process involved in right clicking. Obviously, I prefer the button. Perhaps I'm in the minority and most folks do right click to dismiss. As with many other aspects of the game, folks have their personal preferences. That doesn't mean a button should be removed just for the sake of removing it. Hopefully the command to dismiss pets will still work and can be macro'd.
Scotty
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub & Hyjal (US)

Unread post by Scotty »

I must be in the minority with you, Boven. I use the button and have only used the drop down for my rare abandons. (Though I prefer the term "setting them free" more...)

I'll definitely make a macro for pet dismiss if they remove it completely. I for one will NOT be fumbling with the drop down menu to do something my #4 button on my mouse did before...
Divixon
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne Alliance

Unread post by Divixon »

have you tried to make a macro /dismiss pet?
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

The button is back in the spellbook as of tonights build.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Quivering wrote:The button is back in the spellbook as of tonights build.
Woohoo!

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Boven »

Thank goodness. While it's a minor thing, I'll be glad to have it back.
Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Torachi »

Thank you, Quivering, for the awesome news! [showers Quivering with lots of awesome stuffs]

Seriously, though, I'm extremely glad to hear that it's back. I haven't been to active on the Beta due to preparing for my little sister's wedding. This was definitely nice to come back to.

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)