Hunter Talent Calulator

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
AnotherHunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Hunter Talent Calulator

Unread post by AnotherHunter »

The new talent calculator is out that now. Any suggestion for a good MM build?

http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#c
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Re: Hunter Talent Calulator

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Here is a PVP Gnome Killer spec I made for MM.

Last edited by Adam-Savage on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

He asked for MM, Adam. :P
I'm working on a MM spec, I just need some input from people who got into the beta to finish it up.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

Saturo wrote:He asked for MM, Adam. :P
I'm working on a MM spec, I just need some input from people who got into the beta to finish it up.
Removed the BM and put in a PVP Marks spec.
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by kamoodle5 »

*EDITED*
Last edited by kamoodle5 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Err, Kam? You have one point in Go for the Throat, but two points in Sic 'Em! which is impossible. >_>

Here's the one I came up with for PvE for funsies: http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#ceb0zxzZzxVdGIuMzGIdiox. (Based for level 85.) I am now annoyed that the rapid killing talent has been split into two, so now it takes four points to get both effects. >_< There's a bit of leeway in the talents; can move points into focused aim as needed. It remains to be seen how useful the new efficiency is, and seeing termination AND rapid recuperation as other focus-reducing talents....well, it worries me a bit. Still, they've put it so low in the tree that it's pretty much required, so...might as well.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Kalliope wrote:Err, Kam? You have one point in Go for the Throat, but two points in Sic 'Em! which is impossible. >_>

Here's the one I came up with for PvE for funsies: http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#ceb0zxzZzxVdGIuMzGIdiox. (Based for level 85.) I am now annoyed that the rapid killing talent has been split into two, so now it takes four points to get both effects. >_< There's a bit of leeway in the talents; can move points into focused aim as needed. It remains to be seen how useful the new efficiency is, and seeing termination AND rapid recuperation as other focus-reducing talents....well, it worries me a bit. Still, they've put it so low in the tree that it's pretty much required, so...might as well.
Yeah, I was surprised myself I was able to fill in two points for Sic 'em when I only put one for Go for the Throat. They might need to fix that. There was another small chain in Survival that's like that. I was able to fill in all three for Thrill of the Hunt when I only put one in Hunting Party. But if Sic 'em doesn't say it requires all two points of Go For The Throat, then that's fine by me.
Kalliope

It's a talent calculator issue. Remember, this isn't an official Blizzard one. It's a mistake.

YouTube Edition

kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I know. We can't cheat. Hence that Blizz talent in the bottom of Survival.
Kalliope

So you might want to fix your spec. ^_^

YouTube Edition

kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

It does seem useless to have both points of Go For The Throat cuz it said 3 Focus regeneration for the pets on both points when the hunter makes crits. If it said 6 on the second point, that'd be all right.
Last edited by kamoodle5 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

I'm not even seriously looking at a talent spec yet, it's far too early and there are obviously some very glaring problems with the Marksmanship tree right now.

Careful Aim is poor. It will probably be solid for early leveling but for post-80 and certainly for end-game it's pretty useless, and the fact that it's a prerequisite for Readiness is bad. Chances are that end-game Hunters are actually going to be running into the Crit cap so the extra Crit chance from Careful Aim is near useless.

Resistance Is Futile is terrible for Markman Hunters, this talent would be better placed in the BM tree. Marksmen are not going to be using Kill Command given it's hefty 50 Focus cost. Unless the combination of standard Focus regen with Fervor, Termination, Rapid Recuperation and any Haste benefits from things like Bloodlust collude to give a massive Focus regen in a final burn phase of a boss that we would be overflowing in Focus, RiF is not going to have any use for us. And again it's a prerequisite talent for the excellent Marked For Death.

That said, looking over the trees chances are the talent build will be something of an 11/53/12 split in the end. Hopefully I will not have to rely on Focused Aim for hit.
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Why do I even bother then? Like I said, I am no good with MM. I guess I should've keep it quiet.
Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Nah I'm just saying that it looks too early to really try putting together a spec. I believe there are serious flaws with the MM tree, and even if talents don't change, it's odd that you can take 1 point in a prereq talent in order to get the the "main" talent.

It's great to see the new talents and get a feel for what Blizzard have in mind for us, and it certainly looks like Hunters of all three specs will have lots to do which is nice. But once I see confirmation of a launch tree then I'll put together specs.
Kalliope

I agree with Anansi entirely. They ruined the HELL out of Careful Aim *AND* it's a forced talent. RiF DOES seem like a PvP BM hunter talent. the only reason I stuck it in my spec was because Marked for Death seemed decent for PvE.

As for the prereq talent points being goofy, it's not locked in properly because (most likely) of an issue with the calc not being set up correctly.

YouTube Edition

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Kalliope wrote:I agree with Anansi entirely. They ruined the HELL out of Careful Aim *AND* it's a forced talent. RiF DOES seem like a PvP BM hunter talent. the only reason I stuck it in my spec was because Marked for Death seemed decent for PvE.

As for the prereq talent points being goofy, it's not locked in properly because (most likely) of an issue with the calc not being set up correctly.
Careful Aim should be fine for early leveling but it should not be a forced talent under and circumstances. RiF is completely useless, GC has even said that Kill Command is intended to be a signature BM ability, so why make a talent based on KC be a required deep-level Marks talent? Makes no sense at all.

If the prereq talent spending is indeed broken in the calculators, that means we will be forced to take *three* useless talents. Two ranks of Go For The Throat is not necessary, 3/3 Careful Aim is wasted and 3/3 RiF is more than useless. That's a net 7 wasted talent points. Even if in the burn phase on a boss we have the Focus to spend on Kill Command to get use out of RiF, that Focus would be far better spent on Kill Shot and other core shots.

I've never seen a talent spec so screwed up as the current Marksmanship spec. Hence my thinking that it's going to be revised and working on a spec now is not helpful.
Kalliope

Anansi wrote:I've never seen a talent spec so screwed up as the current Marksmanship spec. Hence my thinking that it's going to be revised and working on a spec now is not helpful.
Pretty much this. It was just interesting to do a preliminary pass to see how many points are wasted at this stage, even though it (hopefully) won't remain that way.

I'm also kind of annoyed on behalf of the survival hunters that the bottom of the tree is PvP talent heavy. I haven't done a breakdown with any potential specs, but I hope that's also on Blizzard's list of concerns.

YouTube Edition

kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I got rid of those links. I've also worked on a BM spec that is closest to what the current best BM talent speccing is like. Yet, I know this topic isn't about BM speccing so I won't show it.
Kalliope

kamoodle5 wrote:I got rid of those links. I've also worked on a BM spec that is closest to what the current best BM talent speccing is like. Yet, I know this topic isn't about BM speccing so I won't show it.
Anansi's commentary wasn't about YOUR specs; it was about the futility of attempting to come up with a workable spec in any tree at this stage of beta testing.

It's not always about you. :roll:

YouTube Edition

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

Kalliope wrote: Anansi's commentary wasn't about YOUR specs; it was about the futility of attempting to come up with a workable spec in any tree at this stage of beta testing.

It's not always about you. :roll:
Right, exactly. I wasn't critiquing anyone's proposed spec, I was criticizing Blizzard's mess of a Marksmanship tree commenting that it's not realistic right now to try and build a spec because the tree is clearly broken.

Other classes don't look too bad, I've been able to put together what looks like a workable raid and heroic Resto spec for my Shaman.