Hunter Woes

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Shaiandra
Realm: US WrA [A/H]

Hunter Woes

Unread post by Shaiandra »

I was all fine with bracing for the sudden weirdness, but the most annoying thing?

:| My pet doesn't move with me, it has to think about it first.

I noted someone else posted about the spec weirdness, I thought it was just me...

*Sigh*

I just... *Shakes head*

No words, none at all...

To skies unflown,
To waters unexplored,
To paths not yet walked,
To creatures who have yet to run beside me,
I say to you, this challenge you give, I accept and conquer.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Re: Hunter Woes

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Yeah this was reported numerous times in the Alpha and Beta, I have no idea what they did to our pets AI, but they seem really laggy and unresponsive compared to what we have ever had before. Many reports of them not attacking targets, assisting, and returning to your side intermittently between kills even when your still in combat.

We have heard nothing about it and had no feeeback, we're all pretty much in the dark on this one I'm afraid.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yup, it's infuriating. I wonder if it's a server issue. Maybe pets are now controlled by a different server to us or something :P Or maybe, like Bendak pointed out with Hati dismissing, pet movement and attack checks are on some kind of ticker so they only check every few seconds to see if the character is doing one of those things. Either way, it's not good enough. Class quality has slid horribly backwards.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
PrimalTazza
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by PrimalTazza »

I feel like this may have been some sort of half-baked attempt at making the pets feel a little more... alive? I haven't had many issues with them not attacking things automatically. They seem to stray or linger a little when I approach a wall on my left side (where the pet would be walking) and if I stand still, it'll sort of idle around behind me. Before, if you stood by that wall, the pet would just stack on top of you. If you move too far and/or keep moving the pet will keep up more or less just fine.

If it's to make them stop stacking on us, I've seen NPCs and pets do some really weird things when it comes to pathing, so it may be the pet AI trying to account for all the terrain our hunter can go over that the pet would go around/get stuck on. Otherwise it seems to be a way to keep the pet from just making unnecessary movements if you lightly tap a move key or something. It'll basically give you time to move/turn as you want and THEN adjust itself appropriately.

Slightly off-topic, I've noticed jumping off roofs/cliffs/whatever that the pet will now teleport to the bottom before you even hit the ground.

Edit: I've been playing with this a little more. Get a little bit of space, then move towards the pet and run in a tight circle around it - it shouldn't move. Move a few feet away and it'll kick off after you. Again, it seems to want to avoid stacking on top of the hunter and keep itself from making tiny micro-movements. Before, if you quickly tapped both strafe buttons, you could make the pet dance back and forth as it frantically tried to put itself in the right position at your side. This behavior is present with my warlock demons as well, which I can appreciate since I'll be dragging this huge infernal around everywhere.

Art of my character Tazza by Isei! http://isei-silva.tumblr.com

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Speaking of hunter woes, I noticed I was pulling a lot of extra mobs as SV melee than I ever did as ranged. I was in Timewalking dungeons and would end up targetting side packs, which isn't a huge problem until ther old Pandaria legendary cape proc went off. Never happened when I was ranged and I've run a metric ton of Timewalking. The behavior is different, but I haven't narrowed down the culprit yet.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Quiv wrote:Speaking of hunter woes, I noticed I was pulling a lot of extra mobs as SV melee than I ever did as ranged. I was in Timewalking dungeons and would end up targetting side packs, which isn't a huge problem until ther old Pandaria legendary cape proc went off. Never happened when I was ranged and I've run a metric ton of Timewalking. The behavior is different, but I haven't narrowed down the culprit yet.
As BM in Beta I was having this happen with Dire Beast doing its AoE at its spawn point (which is out of melee), before it moved in.

I know you're SV, but it couldn't be something of a similar nature, could it? Something you summon that does an aoe before reaching melee?
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

I seem to auto-target a bit - so if I finish a shot on a dead target I end up auto-targetting a new one, sometimes one not already engaged. Or am I just getting thrown by the new rotation?
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

I don't know of anything I summon as SV, but it may very well be the auto-target part.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Bendak »

The pet lag was introduced sometime mid-Alpha. It wasn't like that originally. I don't think it's related to server issues at all.

I think it only really happens out of combat though. Like it only checks every few seconds if you have moved, then it moves the pet. My pet is still switching targets fine (as long as I macro /petattack into my Kill Command, etc.) Without /petattack it's pretty bad though. I also macro it into Multi-Shot.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Wain wrote:
Quiv wrote:Speaking of hunter woes, I noticed I was pulling a lot of extra mobs as SV melee than I ever did as ranged. I was in Timewalking dungeons and would end up targetting side packs, which isn't a huge problem until ther old Pandaria legendary cape proc went off. Never happened when I was ranged and I've run a metric ton of Timewalking. The behavior is different, but I haven't narrowed down the culprit yet.
As BM in Beta I was having this happen with Dire Beast doing its AoE at its spawn point (which is out of melee), before it moved in.

I know you're SV, but it couldn't be something of a similar nature, could it? Something you summon that does an aoe before reaching melee?
I would honestly put it on the cloak. When you're ranged, you tend to stand in areas that are "already clear", versus when you're melee you're usually in the 'danger zone' (omg I just heard Archer's voice right now). When that cloak proc goes off, it has a fairly wide hit range. I've had more pulls from the cloak proc then I ever did Barrage in Timewalking dungeons.

Otherwise it might be that Dragonsfire grenade. I've seen that cause some issues for me when I played SV.

I haven't actually had any accidental pulls from BM with Dire Beasts tho as of live. And I have them talented with Stomp.

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Bendak wrote:The pet lag was introduced sometime mid-Alpha. It wasn't like that originally. I don't think it's related to server issues at all.

I think it only really happens out of combat though. Like it only checks every few seconds if you have moved, then it moves the pet. My pet is still switching targets fine (as long as I macro /petattack into my Kill Command, etc.) Without /petattack it's pretty bad though. I also macro it into Multi-Shot.
I don't get to check live until I'm back from work trip, but on beta, target switching for aoe wasn't working well. For WoD, when your pet's target died, your pet would go to the next enemy on it's hitlist (in assist mode). So I macroed into a couple of my hunter abilities (notably multishot) to switch to my pet's target if my target was dead or didn't exist. If the pet doesn't switch target, and runs back to me, then /petattack won't really help when my target dies during aoe. IMO, pet AI, at least with assist mode, wasn't broke, but someone decided to 'fix' it. Maybe there were inefficiencies on the back-end that needed to be fixed, but the AI isn't approximating the old behavior. For example (I don't know if this is how it was/is working), but a fix for an open-ended bloated hitlist would be to make a finite hitlist, of like 5 enemies. Instead, it's like there's no hitlist at all, just a current target.
Shaiandra
Realm: US WrA [A/H]

Unread post by Shaiandra »

I didn't realize how attached to Fetch I was, till I don't have it anymore. They broke the loot-a-rang and I miss not having to go snatch long ranged loot.

I wish they'd have made that a passive thing

I've not done any group content since this nonsense started, almost afraid to. Has anyone come up with any macro's to compensate for this bugginess? I might as well start attaching them to things to deal with it till those oh so nice and wonderful people get their tails in gear and fix what they broke.

To skies unflown,
To waters unexplored,
To paths not yet walked,
To creatures who have yet to run beside me,
I say to you, this challenge you give, I accept and conquer.

Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Mardan Thunderhoof at Nesingwary Base Camp in Sholazar. Sells Fetch, Play Dead, Aspect of the Chameleon, and a toy that replicates glyph of the Aspects. :mrgreen:

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Rawr thank you so much! I thought those were things that we were not going to be able to get back till level 110!

Now I need to learn how to macro the play dead with my feign death ability.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Shade wrote:Rawr thank you so much! I thought those were things that we were not going to be able to get back till level 110!

Now I need to learn how to macro the play dead with my feign death ability.

I use the following macro for that.

#showtooltip Feign Death
/cast Feign Death
/cast Play Dead

Hit it again to "Wake Up" the pet when you get up. Play Dead will auto-change to Wake Up when used (like how Mend Pet becomes Revive Pet automatically when pet dies). Hope it helps :)

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Rawr wrote:Mardan Thunderhoof at Nesingwary Base Camp in Sholazar. Sells Fetch, Play Dead, Aspect of the Chameleon, and a toy that replicates glyph of the Aspects. :mrgreen:
Me love you long time!!!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

trying to stumble my way through Timewalking...Fuuuuu!!!

My pet lags behind when I move, died in almost every trash pull because of some AoE damage or something, I am BM, my pet should not be dying so fast when it's not even being targeted by a mob. One of my abilities seems to cancel out my auto attack so suddenly my character just stands there doing nothing, 2 of my abilities I can't really use because they pull mobs from back and front or off to the side and I ended up wiping the party 3 times because of it. Can't even rez them because mass rez was removed from the guild perks.
Play dead is great except 1) if you forget to wake the pet it won't follow you and 2) if you are out of LoS you can't wake your pet up till you are in LoS!

There doesn't appear to be any sort of cohesion between BM abilities, it feels clunky and very unfinished. Can't use 2 of my abilities most fights because they pull extra mobs so my DPS looks like Sht...
What am I suppose to be doing? /frustrated

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Pepsi Jedi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Sha'Halo

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

I've noticed the pet.... 'confusion' aspect too. The slow to attack. The randomly stopping and looking around to try and catch up later. Mentioned it to my wife when I was soloing Throne of Thunder tonight.

It's like any time there's a change in terrain the pet pauses and looks at it like "hurm.. do I REALLY want to do this?" Sometimes having to dismiss it and resummon it. Like they get stuck.

What ever they did to change the pathing needs to be changed back. BM is bad enough pre-legion with out the gun. Oten just standing around waiting for stuff to proc with nothing to do. I get it, it's designed for level 110, not 100 with out your artifact but still BM feels very 'empty' just now.

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Has anyone else noticed a targeting problem?

In timewalking dungeons I am following the group (I'm on a BM), picking off enemies and the group dies-my toon is already casting a shot at something around the corner out of my line of sight. It doesn't happen all of the time, but sometimes in the middle of a fight, I am shooting things far off in the distance-or my pet runs off and attacks something that is not even on the screen for me. What the heck?
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Shade wrote:Has anyone else noticed a targeting problem?

In timewalking dungeons I am following the group (I'm on a BM), picking off enemies and the group dies-my toon is already casting a shot at something around the corner out of my line of sight. It doesn't happen all of the time, but sometimes in the middle of a fight, I am shooting things far off in the distance-or my pet runs off and attacks something that is not even on the screen for me. What the heck?
YUP! Its especially fun with the Pandaria legendary cape proc that falls on who you target.