New PTR option: race change

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

New PTR option: race change

Unread post by Kalliope »

Yep, that's right. If you have a character on the PTR, you can now change its race to another available one for that class. Just like on the beta!

This does not count new combinations.

So as an alliance hunter, I can change Kalliope to a dwarf or draenei. I could also change her gender. (Good god, no thanks to a male night elf.)

I haven't actually done it, so I'm not sure how many times you can change, but I assume it's the same as the beta.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: New PTR option: race change

Unread post by Sarayana »

That's kinda... weird. I mean, changing between existing race/class combos doesn't require testing, we've been doing that for a while now. :?

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

It's a smart decision. Blizzard knows there's going to be a frenzy of race changes come Cataclysm, so they're testing the load on the servers by letting everyone try it now at once.
Knobhead
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: EU-Jaedenar

Unread post by Knobhead »

Sarayana wrote:That's kinda... weird. I mean, changing between existing race/class combos doesn't require testing, we've been doing that for a while now. :?
It's stress-testing the service. The same is happening on the beta. The options can change randomly every hour to include faction change, race change, char customization. You can even have no option at all for some time.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Knobhead wrote:
Sarayana wrote:That's kinda... weird. I mean, changing between existing race/class combos doesn't require testing, we've been doing that for a while now. :?
It's stress-testing the service. The same is happening on the beta. The options can change randomly every hour to include faction change, race change, char customization. You can even have no option at all for some time.
I was gonna say that, but yes this ^ exactly. With blue confirmation even.

And trust me, it IS buggy rofl.

Anansi
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Anansi »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but after a fresh copy over of characters to the PTR, I had both the "Change race/faction" and "Customize" option. I played around with changing my Orc Shaman to Troll but never accepted, I realised that despite Trolls being the most awesome, Shockeye is an Orc. So I cancelled out. That removed the "Change race/faction" option completely from my UI leaving only the "Customize" option (which allows you to change appearance).

I haven't noticed that they change hourly, it's been pretty much this way solidly.
Galahandra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Mazrigos

Unread post by Galahandra »

On the beta we have options to change race, customise characters, and very occasionally change faction does pop up too...am waiting on this to test a mob in Darnassus that I think should be tameable :)
Dare
Realm: Borean Tundra

Unread post by Dare »

They did this so they may test the features for the new class/race combos on the beta. Good thing too, because going worgen leaves you in human form with no racials. Testing was needed.

Enjoy it on the ptr and beta, because come live it will not be there.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Yep, all the choices have been cycling through for me on the PTR - only one at a time, though. It's interesting to see, if nothing else. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Dare
Realm: Borean Tundra

Unread post by Dare »

Kalliope wrote:Yep, all the choices have been cycling through for me on the PTR - only one at a time, though. It's interesting to see, if nothing else. :)
I agree. Goblin hunter look fairly spiffy.