Halo Reach any good?

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Halo Reach any good?

Unread post by Royi »

I'm thinking of picking up this game this weekend (95%) likely. I have played every Halo game and am a avid Halo fan. Just curious what other peoples reviews are in this new game. If anyone would be able to post some info about the new Halo I would appreciate reading it :)

Maybe like a Likes/Dislikes or a This NEW thing is the coolest thing ever! type response
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Mockingbird
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub (EU)

Re: Halo Reach any good?

Unread post by Mockingbird »

Played briefly (2p co-op, first level, hardest-but-one difficulty, no skulls)

Very fun, feels very Halo, elites are clever and tough, jackals are very fast, it's easy to die foolishly. (elites were sending one forward, and when their shield dropped they would run back and two others would pop out and hose down anyone trying to chase - seemed to do it with any convenient nearby scenery, rather than specific pre-set areas).

Only real downside is still the need to use a controller, not a mouse+KB.
Ungoro
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shattered Halls PVP EU

Unread post by Ungoro »

I like it! I'm not the biggest fan, and was drawn into it as a friend was interested in Halo ODST and got me into it. Nice campaign (Space mission is short but amazing!). Elites are difficult on legendary campaign, I managed to kill one that had an energy sword so I picked it up and it took 2 or 3 hits to kill (Not sure if that's the same with the other Halo games as I never played the first 3 and not sure if you can get energy sword on the ODST campaign).

Two new vehicles are great, the revenant taking over for the chopper and the hornet has been replaced with the falcon. The revenant is fun, but can tricky at first and the falcon has an interesting flight feature that when you get to a height you'd like to stay at you can press RB and stay at that height until you want to change. It has 2 machine guns that other players have to control, one on either side. New warthog has a rocket launcher on the back that rapidly fires 6 rockets, so it's pretty powerful and fun.

Forge World maps are stunning imo and are by far the prettiest maps in the game (Thus making them the best!) with great scenery, and great fun to play on and with enough patience and precision you can actually make an underwater map (Obviously you aren't on the sea floor, but my friend made a map and there are pathways under the water and you can survive it. There are also parts that are above the water too).

But yeah, from the view of a guy who sucks at Halo games and isn't a massive fan of the franchise, I approve of this game and I reccomend it.

Ungoro of Khadgar

<Disturbing The Peace>

http://dragcave.net/user/Ungoro

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

It had its ups and downs.
I'm not one for online play, so I can't say much about that, but...
1. The campaign. Was about three hours long. Shortest thing ever, I was extremely disappointed in it. The storyline, too, really could use some work. I won't give anything away, but I know I didn't approve. It just didn't seem -right-.
2. The gameplay was great. Much better then two and three. Powerups are actually useful and make it more fun to play. Some new weapons are out that can be great fun. Human shotguns, however, are a lot less powerful. Good and bad, depending if you're pointing the shotgun, or having it pointed at you! The other weapons have some of the fun features back, like locking on rockets. There are other neat new guns that are fun to play with. (Unfortunately, you really have to play forge to use them, and there are no NPCs to kill in forge. The campaign is too short to give you enough time for gun tests.) Also, they got rid of most of the stupid situations they put you in in Halo 2 and 3, those situations where you have to die six times to figure out how to do it. You can still die, but it's not required. It's more realistic. (Oh, and Pistols are useful again. Cherish them.)
3. Forge is much, much, MUCH improved. Not enough items, but it's still impressive. You really can make just about whatever you want. Battleship positioned to attack an island? Sure! Cannons launching explosives at said island? Go ahead. A giant, sun-blocking wall-o-death to save the island once you get really sick of all those explosives? Affirmative. If you like building things, you will -love- the new forge.
4. Character customization is in! You can buy new armor looks for your character to use in both Campaign and online play. It's very neat. Unfortunately, only Spartan characters have real, piece-by-piece armor customization. Elites have several sets of gear to choose from, but they can't choose a helm from Zealot set and the chest armor from Scout. It's still an improvement from last time, and some of the gear is incredibly beast. You can also buy the voices of other characters, such as members of your Campaign team, Cortana, John, and some others. (So you can at least pretend to be John.)
5. Assassinations? Are awesome. 'Nuff said.
6. Forge maps are HUGE. HUGE. Remember Sandtrap from 3? Bigger.
7. Did I mention hating the storyline? I think I mentioned that. I can see the idea they used working in other situations, but not in this one. I don't, in fact, even want to play the campaign again, just because of the storyline. Note to game designers - if the story stinks, people might not want to play it twice. (However, the game isn't out because of the story, it's out for Forge and Online play.)

Anyway, that's what I thought. Again, I don't know about online play. I don't like online play. Overall I'd give it an 8, maybe an 8.5, out of 10. Although the gameplay was much, much improved and it has a lot of nice features, the storyline and the terribly short campaign makes it something I won't be playing day after day.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

thats exciting info :)

Halo 2 was my favorite storyline out of them all, i loved the whole arbiter bit the most.

The pistol from Halo 1 was my favorite weapon (because it was OP when you learned how to get headshots) and i'm excited to hear that its back in good form again. Sad to hear about the shotgun, for that was my 2nd favorite weapon... heh.

I love big maps. Sucks that the storyline is short, but mainly i'll do multiplayer though once thats done.

Anyone know if theres still hidden skulls???
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~