What happened to scaling to help lowbies?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

What happened to scaling to help lowbies?

Unread post by Jangalian »

Way back before the Lich King was released and ICC was the flavor of the week, there was a topic or post or something going around about how high-end players would be able to group with lowbies and be scaled down to that specific content so that those of us who were more knowledgeable about the instance or quest would be able to back up our lowbie friends.

What happened to that?

Also, if you COULD do this do you guys support it? I could totally get behind this.
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: What happened to scaling to help lowbies?

Unread post by Lisaara »

I don't mind helping friends but overall, i HATE carrying people. It's the same people that end up rolling on the items that I need, when I've been there longer and worked hard to get said items.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Jangalian
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Jangalian »

But this is the point to the scaling. You'd be COMPARABLE to the other guys running the instance, not much better.
( •_•) Many whelps!
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) Handle it.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Sad thing is, thats not the case, nor has it ever been. Those who want to be carried are the ones wanting to go with the high end people that are working for harder to obtain weapons.

I got my staff from ICC25 swiped that way. TWICE.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I don't really see the point. Either you roll a lowbie with your buddies, or you're there to carry them on your higher level toon. The important thing is that you're there helping them out in whichever capacity.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Yeah, I don't care how I help them, as long as I can.
It is an interesting idea, though.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kalliope wrote:I don't really see the point. Either you roll a lowbie with your buddies, or you're there to carry them on your higher level toon. The important thing is that you're there helping them out in whichever capacity.
Yeah. Same. If its your friends, then thats fine but a random pug rolling on your high stuff that you need too? No thanks.

LisaaraPokefarm

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

Taluwen wrote:I don't mind helping friends but overall, i HATE carrying people. It's the same people that end up rolling on the items that I need, when I've been there longer and worked hard to get said items.
In the few instances people have carried me, I've always let them all have first pick of everything. xD WFS dropped during a run I was carried through, but I let the player who had worked for it months have it without a roll from me xD

I'd really like this. See, I like running low level runs with my friends, but I love the challenge of a run. I want to remember the CHALLENGE. xD

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Raydex-of-the-dawn wrote:
Taluwen wrote:I don't mind helping friends but overall, i HATE carrying people. It's the same people that end up rolling on the items that I need, when I've been there longer and worked hard to get said items.
In the few instances people have carried me, I've always let them all have first pick of everything. xD WFS dropped during a run I was carried through, but I let the player who had worked for it months have it without a roll from me xD

I'd really like this. See, I like running low level runs with my friends, but I love the challenge of a run. I want to remember the CHALLENGE. xD
Yeah but you're one of the minority. The majority that do get carried, atleast in my experience, are greedy beyond belief and once they finally are all geared out due to being carried, they dont know any fights and think they're the best thing since sliced bread. Thats how bad players and trolls are born, usually.

LisaaraPokefarm

Mockingbird
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub (EU)

Unread post by Mockingbird »

They are talking about lower-level dungeons - you wouldn't need anything there anyway! (except for example, vanity pets).

It's an idea that is active in the City of Heroes/Villains games, called "mentoring" or something.

Basically, if a high-level groups with some low-levels, he can choose to be "lowered" to their level, meaning their damage/healing/health is adjusted accordingly, and the lowbies get the benefit of full XP (rather than getting hardly any because there's a high level boosting them).

I think it also worked the other way, where a low level can group with some high levels and is artifically boosted to their level, but gains no new abilities and doesn't earn XP (basically it lets them see the content, but not gain any loot/XP and is mainly for fun and/or PvP).

I think it would be harder to do in WoW due to the way gear has such a massive impact. (Maybe use the heirloom scaling, but I have a feeling that's all done manually rather than automatically)
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Mockingbird wrote:They are talking about lower-level dungeons - you wouldn't need anything there anyway! (except for example, vanity pets).

It's an idea that is active in the City of Heroes/Villains games, called "mentoring" or something.

Basically, if a high-level groups with some low-levels, he can choose to be "lowered" to their level, meaning their damage/healing/health is adjusted accordingly, and the lowbies get the benefit of full XP (rather than getting hardly any because there's a high level boosting them).

I think it also worked the other way, where a low level can group with some high levels and is artifically boosted to their level, but gains no new abilities and doesn't earn XP (basically it lets them see the content, but not gain any loot/XP and is mainly for fun and/or PvP).

I think it would be harder to do in WoW due to the way gear has such a massive impact. (Maybe use the heirloom scaling, but I have a feeling that's all done manually rather than automatically)
We have the random dungeon finder, which works kinda like that except with people your level spread across a series of realms. So putting the pretty much exact same system in with what we already have would be redundant.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Taluwen wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:They are talking about lower-level dungeons - you wouldn't need anything there anyway! (except for example, vanity pets).

We have the random dungeon finder, which works kinda like that except with people your level spread across a series of realms. So putting the pretty much exact same system in with what we already have would be redundant.
Well, it's not ENTIRELY the same thing. Your friends might be better at playing the game than some pugs. So I can see having more high level toons than a friend and wanting to help out without penalizing the friends for grouping with a high level player.

But the thing is, leveling isn't the big deal it used to be. The focus is on the end game. It's less of a problem than all that, really. It might be a nice option, but I don't see the proposed system as being worth the investment of resources to reach realization.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Itana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Itana »

It would be a great idea. Let's say you convinced a friend to start playing this game, but don't want to create a new character to play with said friend, since you love your main to pieces and all. If you just run your friend through everything with your main, your friend isn't going to learn anything and in a lot of cases get bored from everything being so easy, and might drop the game altogether. If you could scale however, you could play together as you wanted to, and your friend would actually have to fight the was he/she is meant to, and learn the class, mechanics and such.
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

They do this in Champions Online...I've done the "Sidekick" thing, where I was like 20ish and they were like 10, and it drops my lvl down to 10, but I'm like an Elite lvl 10, cause I do keep my current powers and items. It actually helps both sides, cause then I could actually get XP from the mobs now, and it would apply to my next actual lvl.