Feedback Wanted: Petopia Pet Ability Page

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Feedback Wanted: Petopia Pet Ability Page

Unread post by Mania »

I updated Petopia for the Patch 4.0 pet ability changes tonight since I may not be up by the time the servers go live tomorrow.

I'd like your feedback on the layout of the new ability page. Basically I list each family and its 1-4 skills: special ability, exotic ability, bonus ability and basic attack. And you can click on any skill to get all the details.

Is it easy enough to figure out? Is there other info you need or want on this page? Would a different organization be more helpful? Any other feedback?
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Feedback Wanted: Petopia Pet Ability Page

Unread post by Vephriel »

Very nicely done! I love the table organization, to me it's very straightforward and easy to digest without being overwhelming. I like the detailed information at the bottom, and the mouseover info is perfect.

I don't have any qualms with it. I suppose maybe one suggestion I could think of might be to add a visual representation of the Pet Species under their names? I know they're organized alphabetically and by talent tree, but being a visual person I have a much easier time quickly scanning and recognizing either a picture of a pet or their species icon. Again, that's just a minor thing I could think to suggest, definitely not required. (a thumbnail of an actual pet model would probably work best since some of the ability icons match the species ones and may look too repetitive)
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

You know initially I didn't think I'd have room for the family icons, but you're right that I do. I went with icons for now since that was quick and easy and I still have to write the two FAQs I keep putting off.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I like the icons for the families; that's pretty much how they get split up and identified on, say, Wowhead too. It *is* admittedly a little repetitive, but having visual representations for families with diverse appearances (spirit beasts, I'm lookin' at you) might be more confusing in some ways.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

(Off note: I only just now realized that the Spirit Beast family icon is half of a cat's face....I always thought it was an owl >.>)
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I've also added some FAQ that I could use feedback on:
Kalliope

On Calling Your Pets, you could incorporate the two graphics in with the text so the relevant graphic appears above the block of text describing it. Right now, it's all one big block of text. Also, I would mention that the pets appear "outward" from the whistle: pet 5 will be the furthest one away from the whistle and pet 1 will be the closest to it. You could also make it a sort of diagram by adding text with the pet number above the graphic, so it's easier to visualize.

In Using the Stable, regarding the stables being unlocked "as soon as you enter the game," it might also be a good idea to mention that hunters can't actually tame pets until level 10 and until then, they only have one pet, period.

Beyond those additions, I think you've covered everything. My questions would certainly be answered. :)

YouTube Edition

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Wed May 23, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

Awesome, I love it. I also learned a few thigns while looking at it. Like that Birds of Prey will be bale to do loops. And that Rhino bowling will be back! YAY!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Kalliope

FuzzyDolly wrote:And that Rhino bowling will be back! YAY!!!!
Single pin bowling! :lol:

YouTube Edition

Zinagaro
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Zinagaro »

This makes me very very happy. :D Fantastic work on the Pet Skill Table, Easy to use and locate everything.

Edit: Camouflage + Rhino + PvP Cliffs = Great Times

- I Be Indestructible Mon! -

"One thing I've learned about idiots - they are utterly without shame." - Worba

Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Kalliope wrote:
Unless different pets share ability cooldowns, I can see that expanded to 5-pin bowling! :twisted:
Kalliope

Anyia wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
Unless different pets share ability cooldowns, I can see that expanded to 5-pin bowling! :twisted:
Five hunter battleground team...go. :D

YouTube Edition

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

Anyia wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
See... now you guys are thinking! Imagine what a 40 man raid group could do in WG! Hmmm... maybe a Petopian event?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aasher
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Aasher »

Long-time fan, first post. First of all, great job on everything so far!

The other night I joined a small pug raid and was immediately asked by the raid leader if I had a core hound. He was trying to down some boss in record time and wanted the 'heroism' buff from a core hound. I didn't at the time, but I tamed The Beast right after. My stable had nearly 20 tamed animals, but the whole experience made me wonder what other unique pet buffs I had been missing in my stable. Until then I had tamed animals purely based on looks.

I soon figured that it might be better overall to tame 1 animal for each unique skill, instead of having (for example) 3 cool looking wolfs, 4 cats, etc. This way, I would never again be in a situation where I was missing that one desirable pet skill. There are 37 different pet families, but only 25 available stable slots (at level 85), so it's impossible to tame 1 of each family. After examining each family and unique skill I figured out that there are exactly 17 unique skills and 7 different kinds of exotic families. I concluded that it would be possible to tame 24 pets total and have access to every unique skill, regardless of spec, with one stable slot empty at level 85!

The gist of my post is this: it might be beneficial to list pets according to unique skill, instead of cunning/ferocity/tenacity...or have an option to sort both ways.

Here is a screenshot of the list I compiled:
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8103 ... 4at330.png

red = ferocity, green = cunning, blue = tenacity, "--" = infinite uptime
I considered web = pin, for this exorcise. "•" on the left, was the family I chose to tame.
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

Is there a way to sort abilities? Like "gives player buffs" and "root/snare" and "stun"? If not, that's all I'd ask to add.