The amazing deflating-reinflating spider!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
MelRedcap
Realm: Aman'Thul

The amazing deflating-reinflating spider!

Unread post by MelRedcap »

Anyone who's ever tamed Zarakh, the level 19 spikey black-and-red spider in the Drae starting area, knows just how much she shrinks when she's tamed.

This much.
shrank.jpg
shrank.jpg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Yes, there really is a second, smaller spider in that picture. Look closer. :?

Aaaannyhoo, I tamed Zarakh with my Petopians hunter Hackk. And she was tiny. And then I logged in to her today, and, well... it might be my imagination, but I think she's bigger. And not just because she's levelled a little!
bigger.jpg
bigger.jpg (49.2 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
She's level 22 in that pic, and I'm nearly positive that she didn't come up to Hackk's knees the last time I logged out. Nearly.

Since I wasn't sure, Vephriel came to have a look, and agreed with me that maybe possibly my spidlet was bigger. A little. But we still weren't sure. :roll: And we were wondering how big she would end up at 80, so in the spirit of scientific enquiry (Mania would be proud!) Veph ran off and tamed a similar spider. Here we have Veph's level 75 spider and Hackk's (now named Gothickk thanks to a comment Veph made, hee) side by side for a comparison.
spiderfronts.jpg
spiderfronts.jpg (116.08 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
They don't grow much, do they? :(

Soooo... does anyone else who tamed Zarakh at some point in the past think that Blizzard have made her a little bigger? Or am I just confused? :oops:
MelRedcap, aka Hackk / Maledicta / Jillrobin
- Author of the in-progress NaNo story "Pinky and the Barrens", a saga of a gnome and a troll -
FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Re: The amazing deflating-reinflating spider!

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

I have her tamed on my PVP realm hunter. I haven't noticed, but I haven't been on him today. Next time I log into him, I'll check an dlet you know.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Ok I checked... nope it's normal size for me. Honestly, this is the ONE pet I wouldn't mind even smaller so it's harder to target.

fatman
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul (both sides)

Unread post by fatman »

I'm not sure but I remember reading one of the recent patch notes, before 3.3.2, that pets will grow larger when their level gets higher. I could have misread it though.
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by kamoodle5 »

It's true. They do grow as they level.

I'd also agree about the spider's size since the color patterns of the spider itself make her quite hard to spot in the ground unless if you're running around in a snowy region. It gives them an advantage.
MelRedcap

They do definitely grow with levels - that's why Veph's level 75 spider is bigger than mine. Still, given how teeny Zarakh ends up after taming, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Blizzard made her a bit bigger at low levels :)

(I love her even if she isn't bigger, heh!)
- Author of the in-progress NaNo story "Pinky and the Barrens", a saga of a gnome and a troll -
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

I've always noticed that the non tarantula spider skin/models always seem to shrink down so much. I never understood it. It's what turned me off/away from the Azuremyst isle spiders at first. I usually detest small pets.

I guess it wouldn't matter that much to a goblin or dorf but.
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

thats strange. she really shouldnt start growing that soon. most pets doesnt noticebly grow before they are 40(not that ive noticed atleast). My night elf(lvl 72) tamed this spider just resently and her spider is rather small (id say the same size as yours). though as she is a NE so it might appear even smaller for her.

But yes that big of a growth at just lvl 22 is rather odd.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Wolfwings
Realm: Garona, Zangarmarsh, Earthen Ring

Unread post by Wolfwings »

Makes you wonder how big pets will get someday!
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

They stop growing at level 60 though.
ImageImage
MelRedcap

*pounces Shinryu's icon*

Hitsugaya! Squee!
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Shinryu Masaki wrote:They stop growing at level 60 though.
Are you sure? My brother's level 63 hunter had the white devilsaur, while my level 74 hunter has the brown devilsaur. We haven't compared them side-by-side but my brother swears that mine is bigger than his (and we're both night elf females so it's not a race difference). Maybe it's just that that particular mob doesn't scale the same when tamed. It's possible, I suppose.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Edrawr wrote:
Shinryu Masaki wrote:They stop growing at level 60 though.
Are you sure? My brother's level 63 hunter had the white devilsaur, while my level 74 hunter has the brown devilsaur. We haven't compared them side-by-side but my brother swears that mine is bigger than his (and we're both night elf females so it's not a race difference). Maybe it's just that that particular mob doesn't scale the same when tamed. It's possible, I suppose.
Afaik Devilsaurs stay about roughly the same size as when tamed. They do get a smidge bigger I think when you hit 70/80 but not much.
FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Dp wolves end up different sizes depending on what skin you tamed? I know Worgs are bigger than wolves, but I tamed one from Mulgore and as it stto fnext to a guilides black one, it was snmaller. Now when I had tamed Timber for a while, Timber looked bigger than the black one. Is it just a visual trick because of coloring, or do wolves tamed in different areas end up different sizes?

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

It's completely related to the model, all devilsaur will be the same size thusly, whereas different Wasp skins different sizes.

So in another word, yes, the different models of Wolf may have a different size.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.