UPDATE: New monitor LIZARD is here (Image warning)

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

UPDATE: New monitor LIZARD is here (Image warning)

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I've been wanting a specific locality of water monitor (Varanus salvator) for easily 8 years and just now I've finally bought myself one.
The animal was a little pricey and is in need of help. So ....................... I spent the money just to at least give it the best it can get for the rest of it's life. I wasn't 100% sure I was getting him till tonight. I don't know to much of the back story on this one other then it was bought as a hatchling, which is about 7-8 inches long, kept for a bit then sold and returned. I guess the original owner took the animal back after the buyer became "afraid" of the monitor. I don't know how true this whole story is but I felt a bond that this animal was meant to be mine the second I saw it's photos in the classifieds.
He's 18 months old and appears to only be about 20 inches long. Had he been properly cared for he should be a good four to five foot long at this age. He's missing several toes, and it seems that all his toes on his left hand is missing. He also is missing several inches of his tail where from what the seller was caused by the previous owner but is now fully healed. He is, in my opinion, underweight from simply not enough food.
Not all rescues are "free" and this one will certainly be no exception. I will think of a name once I learn his personality. He seems very calm but with monitor lizards that plays a huge part on how healthy they really are. Meaning most healthy monitors do not tolerate human interaction very well. We'll see when he's fully heated, properly fed and housed and cared for. I will love him regardless however and he'll never be pawned off again.
Disclaimer: The below photos are from the seller and the animal is not in my care yet. Also the seller is not responsible in any way for the animals condition.
DSC08391-2.jpg
DSC08391-2.jpg (119.57 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
DSC08405-2.jpg
DSC08405-2.jpg (121.74 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
DSC08403-2.jpg
DSC08403-2.jpg (59.98 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
DSC08393-2.jpg
DSC08393-2.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
DSC08392-2.jpg
DSC08392-2.jpg (83.02 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Last edited by zedxrgal on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: New monitor for Christmas (pics)

Unread post by Vephriel »

What a beautiful reptile!

Though he may not be in prime condition, the photos show a remarkable sense of personality and alertness. Such an adorable expression, and I just love his markings. I really don't think he looks that unhealthy at all. It seems like with the proper TLC he'll come around just fine, and I'm sure you're going to provide him an excellent home. :) Looking forward to more photos of him, monitors have always been a favourite of mine, though I don't have the space requirements to own one myself right now.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

What a beautiful animal! And as Vephriel said, he looks like he does have quite a bit of personality!

Out of curiosity, what do they eat? I think if I ever wanted a big reptile I'd have to find a vegetarian, I just couldn't bring myself to feed them other critters, but he is GORGEOUS.
zedxrgal

Thanks. He's not all that unhealthy. He's just a bit underweight. He'll fatten up really quick though. lol
Acherontia wrote:Out of curiosity, what do they eat? I think if I ever wanted a big reptile I'd have to find a vegetarian, I just couldn't bring myself to feed them other critters, but he is GORGEOUS.

His diet here will consist of mice, rats, shellfish and whole healthy fishes. Depending on how much he grows he may get chicks.
Disclaimer #2: I do not feed live!!! NONE of my feeders are "pets" and are bred purely for feeding and are humanely euthanized.

zedxrgal

I took in the little salvator that, to me, look bivittatus locality who was in need of a proper home. It's missing most of it's tail, most of the toes on it's front right hand and over all was thin. Amazingly this little one has a really gentle temperament and is very willing to be interacting with me. I'm not naive to think that this will last however. Supposedly the animal is 18 months old and is barely 20" and that's including missing half it's tail if not more. It's really underweight so I hope to have it up to speed soon. I fed it two adult mice today which was it's first meal with me and it ate them with gusto!
For now it's in a big Rubbermaid that is 4'x3'x3'and this is extremely temporary until the weekend. For now though this is a step up compared to what it was being kept in from what I know.
The photos are really bad cause I took them last night with my cell phone but it will give you a pretty good look at him/her.

Thanks for looking. Will name him/her (unsure) once I see what it's personality is.

Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: UPDATE: New monitor is here (Image warning)

Unread post by Lupis »

That is a beautiful creature! He definitely looks like he has a personality all of his own.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Awww look at that precious face! <3

You're a lucky woman. :D
Davarra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kargath, Suramar, Eitrigg, Korialstrasz, Nagrand

Unread post by Davarra »

"Ohai!"

Sig and av by the very talented Kurenio!

Kaleos
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul/Nesingwary

Unread post by Kaleos »

Very nice! Seems he likes the camera and wanted to say hi. lol
For just one click a day, you too can sponsor a squiby pet. Do it! :D
Bellatryx
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Bellatryx »

Oh dear god hes a cutie!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Holy crap, he's ADORABLE!!! :3 I agree, he seems to have a lot of personality. :D

And your cell phone takes pretty darned good pictures, lol. :)

Congrats on your new friend!!!

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Nanotrev
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Hakkar

Unread post by Nanotrev »

Do some heavy research. It seems like you're doing well so far, myself owning a monitor. Eventually, he'll require his own room or a cage just as big as such, along with a tub he can submerge and turn around in, something he should have at all times. Best of luck!

The best books to get are made by the Advanced Vivarium Systems and will walk you through every detail. I have no idea if you're savvy with reptiles that reach in access of five feet, sometimes topping out at nine feet and fifty pounds. The only larger monitor than the one you bought is the Komodo Dragon. I'd like one of these myself but my family keeps me limited to my Savannah Monitor and my Gymnothorax fimbriatus (Fimbriated Moray Eel) along with my chameleon, who alreay has the run of our guest bedroom in his own tree, uncontained.

Edit- Also, I'm proud of you for feeding him whole food items. If you ever lose access to those items try lean meats like turkey, chicken, or tuna. I had a friend of mine who bought a water monitor but became afraid of it, and as you mentioned they hit around five feet at the most common captive size. A five foot long aggressive animal isn't something you want, but it sounds like you really like him and must handle him every day anyways. I hope you enjoy your new pet. They certainly can become a member of the family. =)

Edit #2 -You might want to try a bigger cage. Would you mind replying to this with how large his cage is and how large he is currently? I'd have him in a 50-55 gallon at his size (my guestimate being a foot or two) on newspaper with two large hides on each side of the cage as well as the water dish he can submerge himself in. If you should wish you can buy a lizard lead for him to walk on and keep his claws trimmed naturally as I do with my monitor, but be careful that he doesn't slip out of it.

Edit #3 - Also, one more thing. I'm not trying to lecture you. I'm only trying to help you have the environment the reptile needs in case you haven't jumped into something like this before. A well cared for monitor that's been tamed down is one of the best pets you can get. Just be sure to feed him in a seperate container so he doesn't associate you with food when he gets larger. As long as you never hand-feed him, both you, your fingers, and your pet should be happy!

=P
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I'm not sure how I missed this thread before. Egad, that's a gorgeous monitor! Look at all the yellow on his head - so beautiful. Is that why you're thinking bivittatus?
zedxrgal

@ Nanotrev - No worries my friend. You're talking to someone with 18 years of consecutive monitor keeping experience and .......................... honestly I don't know how long I've been keeping reptiles period. Goodness snakes I've been keeping them since I was a kid so it's certainly been a while. My largest monitor I've ever kept was a 7.5 foot Crocodile monitor. And he was missing several inches of tail. He was my love bug. So I'm no stranger to the bigguns or their care. ;) But I sincerely appreciate your commenting. It's rare these days to find anyone willing to help simply cause it's a reptile. :D

@ Mania - Yes it's a bivittatus. The head color is part of it but the banding pattern across the shoulders is really the giveaway. I consulted with a couple herpetologist friends I know just to be on the safe side.

Another minor update on this kid is that it's shedding like mad and has put on a bunch of weight and is now 98% healthy. Almost there. Also ....................... not as 'calm' or 'tame' anymore. :lol: Very inquisitive but still is ready to bite first and ask questions later. Guess that happens when it's been almost starved to death.

Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Wow so neat! Hes a little cutie

and I must say when it saw "new monitor" I was like.. oh what size did you get for your computer :lol:
he and I are alot alike we like.. the desert.. to much..

Glad to hear hes feeling better.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

zedxrgal wrote:@ Mania - Yes it's a bivittatus. The head color is part of it but the banding pattern across the shoulders is really the giveaway. I consulted with a couple herpetologist friends I know just to be on the safe side.
*nod nod* I was looking at the big swaths on the sides of his neck and I see now that they wrap down around his shoulders. Just gorgeous.
Kaleos
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kaleos »

Reading the title I still though computer monitor again, work is getting to me. lol

Does it have a name yet?! :D
zedxrgal

Yep. Named "her" Aro. :D
Now that it's healthy and has been so active it's looking as though this one is a female.

Kaleos
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Kaleos »

Awesome name choice I think. :D lol