Random Pet Challenge [v3.0]

Relate your epic tames and show off your pets.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: Random Pet Challenge [v3.0]

Unread post by Acherontia »

ZEROGOKI1983 wrote:Nice Pictures Zercon.
btw if they charge (talent) they get a chance to knockback there target. My own white condor (FockeWulf) can attest to that.
Not quite, sadly--it's just the animation of a knockdown applied to anything that can have the animation applied to them. It doesn't really do a knockback, or a knockdown :(
ZEROGOKI1983
Realm: Die Arguswacht (ger)

Unread post by ZEROGOKI1983 »

Acherontia wrote:
ZEROGOKI1983 wrote:Nice Pictures Zercon.
btw if they charge (talent) they get a chance to knockback there target. My own white condor (FockeWulf) can attest to that.
Not quite, sadly--it's just the animation of a knockdown applied to anything that can have the animation applied to them. It doesn't really do a knockback, or a knockdown :(
That bad. But still the mobs getting a face full of angry Condor is worth it.
Airwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Crusade (A)

Unread post by Airwyn »

Again, sorry for the late report!
This time I was tasked with taming the white turtle: http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/seaturtleskinwhite.html .
Upon looking at the picture, i was immediately put off by the red eyes. Its creepy! :shock: But I had to tame him anyways so I was off to Borean Tundra to tame one, found it on the far west coast where the hordies do their Vry'kul killin' quests and found the turtle. First thing I noticed: before the tame he was so little and after he didn't grow too much more. But I found him cute and his color stuck out next my purple-haired night elf. By the time I had tamed him my dailies for the day were done but I was going to take him to H UP to try for the mount. And what a mess that was! I had used camo and on the first set of mobs in the long hallway, he strayed too close and pulled them. Causing a quick death for me :oops: The next time I ran in and didn't call him until right before the boss. I didn't bring any potions and he was having trouble charging to the mobs that were beating on me. By the time the boss came down I had about half health and I died to a poison spear...I was upset needless to say :cry: So I went and bought some potions, tucked my turtle into the stables and picked up Jadefang and decimated the place. No mount tho :/

Other than that little incident, the turtle did fine. He held aggro well, didn't take much damage (the ability is great), and the swim animation is cute :) A good tanker but I did part ways with him as I want Terrorpene. I left him in Howling Fjord where he got a nice change of scenery.

Edit to fix some spelling.

Airwyn on Scarlet Crusade US

Amazing sig made by Ashaine! Thank you!

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

I was given the above guy, don't have screenshots of him at the moment, but I'll let you know about him. :)

Getting him:
Alliance: Not hard to get to at all once you hit levels 8-10. Take the boat from Stormwind to Darnassus, then fly to Lor'danel Darkshore. There is a large grouping of these guys there just south, southwest of that city, down near the water. Not a hard tame even at level 8 but be sure to pull just one when you are taming him.
Horde: Going to the Alliance areas can be an annoying trek at the low levels, but don't worry he is in one of your starting zones too. From Ogrimmar, take the zeppelin to Undercity. From Brill make the run into Silverpine Forest. These guys can be found all along the lake there right as you enter SPF from the direction of UC.

Sound/graphics:
Sound-wise, it sounds like a bear. The sounds that he makes are not bothersome and fit the pet, and he doesn't stomp-which can be annoying-so we're good there. I've always thought that bears look lovely, but the lack of options among them have made them never a favorite of mine, pet wise. You get an option of five basic natural colors, and then five diseased versions of them, all on the same built body (at least with wolves and cats you have different body types among the groupings). Any way we could get a grizzly type that stands upright instead of on all fours, or a cub (so adorable that would be)? Of all of those ten colors, none of them are unique, you can get them anywhere at low and high levels, and for myself, I prefer hunting down the more rare pets to fill my stables for the challenge of going and hunting down something hard to get. So while I have used bears in the past, I don't tend to keep them in the long run, letting them go to put a more challenging pet in that stable spot.

Food:
Eats meat so I'm happy. I tend to get carnivores in game for the most part, so having another pet that eats meat makes things easier.

Tanking/use:
That said, I have not used a bear in a long time. Picked up this guy when Gypsi was level 13 and questing over in Darkshore and used him for awhile on her. He held aggro better then the other tank pets that I had at that level (crab), but was a bit obsolete as I was not going solo (I'm leveling Gypsi with a friend who is leveling a worgen druid). Between a kitty druid and a ferocity pet (normally a wolf/cat) I never pulled aggro at that level anyways. Good when solo'ing as a lowbie hunter though, just did not apply to me in this case as much.

Roll again? Gypsi is level 40 right now, but roll up to level 42, as I'll get her there tonight most likely.
Juxia

Unread post by Juxia »

This time Hoatzin was given the grey raptor:

Already having travelled to the Barrens for Echeyakee it was a simple case of hopping on a gryph to Booty Bay.....

Then jumping on the boat and heading to Ratchet......

I decided to head up to see if Takk the Leaper was up, after all, why tame a common beast when there might be a rare even if it is for a challenge like this!! On my way up I stumbled across King Reaperclaw. Rather handy really, if Takk wasn't up I could just pop back down and tame this guy.

I did a quick patrol of Takk's spawn points and, alas, he wasn't up. I did however find the nest so my main hunter will soon be taking delivery of a cute little Leaping Hatchling.

I turned round and headed back down to where I'd seen King Reaperclaw, targeted him and jumped into the tame. He brought the two raptors he was patrolling with along with him but they didn't hit particularly hard so it was a trouble free tame.

I absolutely love this skin, it's my favourite raptor skin in game. Once tamed he became a very nice size next to my human and I think they look great together. I named him Xanadu, purely because, for some unknown reason, I always pick that name for raptors!!!

I love the gentle bobbing raptors do when they're idle and their running, walking and swimming animations are all very nice and smooth.

First we headed into an instance, we joined a half completed run through Gnomeregan. We had several melee group members and I think Xan's armour reducing ability really came in handy. After the instance we sampled some PvP and again, Tear Armour comes in really useful. We finished almost top of the damage done table (not bad for someone with no heirlooms!!), killed several flag carriers and returned four flags. Sadly this made us a target and Xan became the object of a directed campaign of violence :cry:

Raptors seem to be a great all round pet, their ability will be a boost to DPS when solo and is likely to always be appreciated in groups. Whilst I decided not to keep this particular raptor, he has made me reconsider my pet options for this hunter. Instead of collecting the various lions as was my original intention for her she will instead be collecting the rares from the Barrens; Takk the Leaper, Dishu, Humar the Pridelord, Snort the Heckler and, when he returns in patch 4.0.6, Azzere the Skyblade.

I'm very glad I had a go of this challenge, I'd never thought of this theme for my hunter without it and she'll now have a much more interesting and well-rounded stable because of it!!

I released Xanadu back into the wild not far from where I tamed him, amongst some raptor nest. I hope he feels at home there.....

Attachments
HoatzinXanadu.png
HoatzinXanadu.png (343.2 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
HoatzinXanadu2.png
HoatzinXanadu2.png (401.26 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
HoatzinXanadu3.png
HoatzinXanadu3.png (632.31 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
HoatzinXanadu4.png
HoatzinXanadu4.png (451.66 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
HoatzinXanadu5.png
HoatzinXanadu5.png (563.61 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
HoatzinXanadu6.png
HoatzinXanadu6.png (569.77 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
HoatzinXanadu9.png
HoatzinXanadu9.png (493.35 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Wow, that raptor looks great by your hunter. The eyes are the same color as your hair, and the bandages are the same color as your skin. It even matches your armor!

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

Well i had got the white eagle and here is how it went;

Well went into hyjal to tame one... none wanted to come in range... at all finally auto shot one who came into range and tamed him. So after that we headed to uldum to do some dailies(forgot screenies in uldum) he did ok when attacking anythign dps wasnt horrable but not the best then again he is CUNNING ( i fudged up when i first wrote this xD ). Did wsg he did pretty good with his snatch. all in all this pet is great for pvp, pve its a meh xD i guess you could say. i LOVE the color but the model is very blocky in my opinion have some screenies of him up on the terrrace of evil critters... he saved me from em xD
So

Pet: White Eagle
Eats: Fish and Meat
PvE: ehh you could not the best
PvP: Yes: Snatch is a wonderful thing against melee
Model: Seems blocky in the white color
Animations: They have nice animations but i thik its funny when they swim x3
All in All: they are a nice a great pet for pvp if you want something to slow melee down, and there is a nice choice of colors, the white just seems blocky to me, was gonna get a light brown to compare but didnt have time.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ill take another though :3

Siliverin
Exotics: Yes :3
Retictions: gorillas,mokeys,mastiffs,spiders
Attachments
fighting a giant
fighting a giant
WoWScrnShot_012811_173823.jpg (711.2 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Side View
Side View
WoWScrnShot_012811_202205.jpg (785.64 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
The Back
The Back
WoWScrnShot_012811_202528.jpg (736.91 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Front/Angle
Front/Angle
WoWScrnShot_012811_202539.jpg (753.11 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Last edited by Siliverin on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage - A, Thrall - H

Unread post by Kormai »

Just to let you all know I will do the rolls today, they'll be a bit later than usual though. I'm at a friends. :)

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Stormrage | Kormai - 100 Draenei Hunter | Kari - 6 Worgen Hunter
...and so many other alts!
Pawtrack
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Venture co., Duskwood, Hydraxis, Draka

Unread post by Pawtrack »

Cialbi wrote:Sorry for going off-topic like this, but I did some cropping (and sloppy editing to take care of that annoying -25), and have results!

Image Image Image

I did a gazillion resizings of the eagle silhouette, since I couldn't decide upon how much background to have! Each file that I've attached should fit the parameters for avatars here on Petopia. If you want to, by all means use one; that's why I went to all this work!

Also included a couple larger pics of the flying eagle, in case anyone has something in mind for a signature.
Nice resizing/cropping! I'm gonna use those as sig/avatar pics. :D

Death leads to life
Life leads to death

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:Wow, that raptor looks great by your hunter. The eyes are the same color as your hair, and the bandages are the same color as your skin. It even matches your armor!
Yes, I found this to be particularly touching:
All I could think was "OmNomNom"; looks like your raptor is playfully nipping your shoulder.

Attached two avatar-sized shots if you want to use them ;)
Om.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Nom.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Attachments
Omnom.jpg
Omnom.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Samarachan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by Samarachan »

Right so, I was assigned the white wolf.

Never really liked them to be honest, but decided to give it a go. I LOVE wolves btw, its not that, I just dont like the small ones. Nearest one I had was in Duskwood, so I just ran there.

The naming and taming:
Just tamed the first one I could spot. I named it Kormai to remind myself what and why I'm doing this :)

The looks:
Well, there it was next to me. I just wished his fur was a bit whiter on the middle, and not gray/brown. I never liked the wolf model, it just looks a bit unnatural. Wasn't a fan of those..spikey hairs on it's legs either. The model could definetley use a texture update.

There was, however, something I did like. The idle animations. Having always had Worgs and they don't do anything, it was refreshing to see the little guy scratch himself and sniff the ground. It made me smile and I found it cute.

So I decided to inspect him a little better, so I zoomed in on it's face and OH GOD PIXEL TEETH FROM HELL!

The dps:
So being in Duskwood, decided to check on some old friends. And voila there she was, Naraxis. I had no intention of taming her because already have a spider, plus her skin isn't very attractive, so I decided to test the dps on her. I always loved the Wolf special ability, and it comes in handy in any situation, making them a great dps pet. She went down in a few seconds, and the XP made Kormai ding :)

I couldn't do a bg because the time on it was Unavailable, meaning never, so I queued up for a dungeon instead. It was Gnomeregan (woopee :roll: ). We did pretty good, got the first two bosses down. Kormai dinged a few times, he was also making me top dps :)

But then it happened. Stupid pets not being able to jump... I didn't think he won't follow, I just figured he will get stuck midair and I'll dismiss. But no, he went and made a full circle, then came back to us pulling 30+ mobs, and died. We all died. I left before I got kicked, but I said sorry first :( I didn't get a SS of this, I was panicking :P

The goodbye:
Decided not to keep, so I said bye to him and let him go. He didn't seem to care much anyway, and because he died he was unhappy aswell.

The overall:
Well because of his animations he was fun to have around. But I simply don't like his texture and model. Perhaps If he got a bit of an update, atleast have a higher resolution mane, I'd deffo tame him again. But untill that, no. He was good dps, but I'm more of a looks person and he wasn't pleasing me. Sorry wolfie :(

So I went back to my Albino parrot, Semani, who looks badass with my char :)

----------

Willing to go again :D

Samarayan, lvl 30ish, No exotics yet, Can go anywhere and camp anything :)
Tydarus
Realm: Ghostlands

Unread post by Tydarus »

My next assignment was the blue sporebat from Zangamarsh. These guys only have a few skins but they look pretty cool so I was happy for an excuse to get one.
zanga.jpg
zanga.jpg (174.05 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
I actually ended up really liking him, he does decent DPS as a Cunning pet, and you just don't see these guys that often. I like their moving animations, the way they twist through the air, and their idle animation as well. They aren't very noisy, which I like, and he actually looks pretty cool under Bestial Wrath with his big red eyes!
sporebat.jpg
sporebat.jpg (312.84 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
We ran through Ramparts together and I liked having him along for all the caster mobs in there. His spore cloud attack is an AOE that reduces casting times and turns mobs green. He's not going to get me to the top of the dps charts, but the attack is fairly useful in groups. I think I'll keep him, although he doesn't have a name yet :(
hordeflag.jpg
hordeflag.jpg (100.64 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Proud members of the Horde!

I'm ready to go again! Tydarus, lvl 63, no exotics yet, no monkeys
Finick from the Petopians Guild

Tydarus' Stables
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

I just had to comment on it because I noticed this, but....
Siliverin wrote:Well i had got the white eagle and here is how it went
<snip>

... dps wasnt horrable but not the best then again he is ferocity.
... actually, eagles are Bird Of Prey, and therefore Cunning. Unless these white eagles are a Carrion Bird eagle?
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Siliverin
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nazgrel, Nesingwary, Dalaran

Unread post by Siliverin »

Kurasu wrote:I just had to comment on it because I noticed this, but....
Siliverin wrote:Well i had got the white eagle and here is how it went
<snip>

... dps wasnt horrable but not the best then again he is ferocity.
... actually, eagles are Bird Of Prey, and therefore Cunning. Unless these white eagles are a Carrion Bird eagle?
blast i messed up thats what i get for doing this RIGHT after i wake up xD
Sig by Kurenio!
Anansi wrote:But OJC is just Old Jumper Cliff, a cranky old crazy guy who hops around making grunting noises to scare away children and small animals. Not sure if he's tamable, probably not.
Siliverin
Credit to Seilahyn and Kurenio for the avatars
Juxia

Unread post by Juxia »

Cialbi wrote:
LupisDarkmoon wrote:Wow, that raptor looks great by your hunter. The eyes are the same color as your hair, and the bandages are the same color as your skin. It even matches your armor!
Yes, I found this to be particularly touching:
All I could think was "OmNomNom"; looks like your raptor is playfully nipping your shoulder.

Attached two avatar-sized shots if you want to use them ;)
Om.jpg
Nom.jpg
Those are just too cute!!! Hoatzin and the first incarnation of Xanadu are now my avatar!!! I'm disappointed I can't go back and tame Takk until I get my next stable slot, I found both Dishu and Snort this afternoon when I started looking after my Random Pet Challenge inspiration.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Apologies for being so late with mine! My roll turned out to be for the Dark Red Parrot, which by coincidence I already owned, so I did a report on him anyways. ^^

The parrot is a Cunning pet, and its ability is Snatch. Though it's not terribly amazing in PvE scenarios, there are a few situations that it's great in, such as disarming Throngus in Grim Batol. When specced for damage he isn't a crutch to bring into dungeons or anything, so he accompanies me when I feel like having him along. :)

I absolutely love the colouring on this particular parrot. The blood red and grey/black scheme is very complementary, they blend well with each other. I also love how the bright yellow eyes pop out at you from the otherwise dark bird.

There is a subtle patterning on the wings, and an attractive striped appearance to the details on the body itself.

One of the bad points of the parrot model is, of course, its age. Though I'm not really a fan of the parrots blown up to full-fledged pet sizes, I think the dark colouration on this one hides some of the model faults better than the bright colours of other types. As for animations, there has always been the jerky cardboard appearance of the wings on this skeleton frame. It bothers me if I focus on it, but I can largely ignore it at most times.

(Wings do not bend this way! >.<)

The large feather on the top of the head looks a bit odd when viewed directly from the front, but on a profile or angle it's fine.

One of my favourite aspects about this bird in particular is how well suited it is to the Bloodsail pirates. x) It looks really wonderful near any of their encampments.

Kormai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Stormrage - A, Thrall - H

Unread post by Kormai »

Thanks everyone for being patient!

LupisDarkmoon: hehe I love you guys too!

Pawtrack: Somehow it doesn't seem you will ever learn your lesson! I'm not quite sure what that lesson is supposed to be though...

Samarachan: I feel honoured you'd name your wolf after me! And I love the eyepatch you have in the picture with your parrot. It fits quite well.

As is customary, I will comment on everyones tomorrow or Monday when I get home.

Time to roll:

LupisDarkmoon (Rassaa)
Black Fox

Cialbi (Shorelfon)
Grey Crocolisk

Vasken (Piano)
Colour-Changing Crab

ZEROGOKI1983 (Darkonis)
Green Moth

Pawtrack (Velyana)
Blue Serpent

Tyger (Vitani)
Red & Yellow Spider

sabiitoothtiger (Ero)
Orange & Black Spider

Xelophant82 (Xeah)
Blue Cataclysm Crocolisk

Xelophant82 (Fuzzybeard)
Red Raptor

Evandelle
Blue Turtle

Zercon (Zero)
Red Demon Dog

Merlynshade (Gypsi)
Red Gorilla

Siliverin
Red Devilsaur

Samarachan (Samarayan)
Dark Striped Cat

Tydarus
Orange Spotted Cat

Brought to you by the colour red, apparently :o :?:

Thrall | Kormai - 100 Blood Elf Hunter | Kari - 100 Undead Hunter | Sintharia - 100 Blood Elf Warlock | Rhoxi - 100 Goblin Mage
Stormrage | Kormai - 100 Draenei Hunter | Kari - 6 Worgen Hunter
...and so many other alts!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

:) Whenever you have time Kormai:

Name: Vephriel
Level: 85
Exotics: Yes
Restrictions: No Gorillas or Monkeys please =)
Sochi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Sochi »

I'd like a roll please.

Matalina
Level 36 or she will be very soon
No exotics yet.
No monkeys or gorillas please.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Ew a spider, this should be fun. :lol:
No reroll necessary either, btw.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]