Steelseries WoW mouse

Tudyk
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thunderlord (A) Uther (H)

Re: Steelseries WoW mouse

Unread post by Tudyk »

Short version: Have been using a Naga for just about a year now, and LOVE it. I have pretty small hands and chubby fingers (played the piano for ~15 years, but I can't text message to save my LIFE), and this mouse feels very comfortable in my hands and I have no trouble finding/hitting the thumb buttons.

Long version: Keybindings For some reason, the row closest to me is the easiest for me to hit (I have them set to pet attack, pet defensive, pet passive ;p) and I do have to shift my hand slightly to hit the 3 furthest away. The ones closest to bottom felt more intuitive, so I set 'em up as my MD macro and trap launcher. Next to trap launcher I've got freezing trap and 'splodey trap (soooo nice to have my right hand worrying about that jive while my left continues my DPS rotation) and the MD row's filled out with mend pet and Focus Fire.

I generally use the furthest button for some crafting thing (disenchanting, or prospecting ... or on my healers, a rez ;p) that I can afford to have my hand shifted for but still may want to hit a bunch of times in a row and the other two in that row for cooldown macros (BW/rapid fire/CotW, Barkskin/SotF or my healing shaman's "oh poop" buttons)

Learning Curve: At first I tried to use it to replace my number row for my hunter's attack sequence, but that failed miserably. I couldn't figure out jumpshots or strafing, I kept hitting the old buttons in times of panic. The I figured out just how many OTHER buttons I hit at least a half dozen times EVERY fight .... and bound those. However, I use clique to heal and had NO problem at all binding the Naga buttons to mouseover macros. It took less than a WotLK instance run for me to get comfortable dropping/recalling totems, cleansing, interrupting and healing with my right hand instead of my left.

The cord is a little odd (for somebody like me that's OCD about cable-wrapping, anyways) but I still give this mouse two enthusiastic hunter/resto shaman/rawrbear thumbs up. =D

Thanks to Pengupuff for the sig!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

seclipse wrote:i would 100% go with the naga. my neighbor has had one for over a year, and while when i first used it, it was kinda confusing, but after a lil while it was SOOOO much easier. its not nearly as big as the pics make it out to be, its actually about the same size as a normal gaming mouse. and if you text on ur phone you'll be a step ahead on learning to use ur thumb for ur action bars. which is so much more easier and you can multi bind it the naga ex: 2, and then also shit+2 or ctrl +2. almost eliminating ur keyboard except for modifiers.

and as a matter a fact i literally just ordered a naga lol

also in the fact of button, you dont NEED a multi button mouse. its more of a preference. if you like more control with your mouse then you want more buttons, but if you cant handle the "intricate" you could say push's to get somethin you may want a regular well build mouse and stick with a keyboard. i for one right now only use 1,2,3,4 of my num keys as i would have to life my hand to hit the rest and i HATE that. so i like having a multi button mouse as i can just use it + modifiers, and it also eliminates haveing to manually move the mouse to click on ur action bars which im sure alot of peeps can agree can get you killed in the heat of a fight.

its all personal preference. and like best buy. if you buy it and dont like it, just return it no harm done. there quite cheap on best buy atm.

sorry for the novel, i build gaming rigs (computers) for a living so ive used most anything ment for gaming and im OCD and a perfectionist when it comes to building and gaming lol.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

Also, another incredibly nice thing about the Naga is that it is a laser mouse and not an LED which means it's insanely responsive and can be set to a really high DPI (sensitivity) so it moves at lightning speeds (even the default setting is very responsive).

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

I got the one before the newest one came out. It's a good mouse for a while....then the buttons get sticky, most notably the ones for your thumb and the, guess you could call it plating, peals off and makes your hand glittery and smell like a foundry. :mrgreen:

seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garithos

Unread post by seclipse »

picked mine uptoday at best buy, already in love with it lol. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier in fights with your important commands at ur thumbtips. they even include "trainer" for your thumb (lil rubber stickys to help guide your thumb)

did i mention is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better now?
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Ugh. Ok my confession is that I'm a mouse clicker. :( I used to use my # keys like it was no big deal on my old laptop but once I got my new Sony laptop it changed and became 100% uncomfortable for me to use my mouse and my left hand to hit the keys. I still use both in a heavy fight but mainly I'm use my mouse to click when something isn't on cool down. A part of this could be that I'm not exactly in the best seating position also.

I'm not the best at setting up macros and the ones I have created for some reason no longer work.

My thought in buying this gaming mouse is that it would come as close as possible to just using the mouse in the fastest most effective manner since I cannot seem to function using mouse /hand combination anymore. It's really depressing to me and causes me to feel sub par because I know my dps is lacking a wee bit since I click instead of using the mouse /hand key combo.

I really hope this all makes sense. I do wear a size 5.5 - 6 ring so that can give you a idea of how small my hands are. I do have long fingers :lol: and was told I have perfect "piano hands" but for some reason just cannot properly use a hand /mouse combo anymore. Really bugs me.

I'm really hoping this mouse will solve it. I want to "PEW PEW .......... PWNED" again!

P.S. Oh and I'm heavily leaning towards the Razer Naga and the Logitech G500.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm a mouse clicker too....

*sigh*

Seems I'm the only one here that really likes the wow mouse and its pretty functions. I wasnt impressed with the naga. Felt uncomfortable to me and wasnt as nice looking and customizable as the wow mouse.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Taluwen wrote:I'm a mouse clicker too....

*sigh*

Seems I'm the only one here that really likes the wow mouse and its pretty functions. I wasnt impressed with the naga. Felt uncomfortable to me and wasnt as nice looking and customizable as the wow mouse.
the naga is well... a perfect mouse... for mmos, proly the top one for MMO's BUT it has a steep learning curve and alot of peeps dont like that. it does take time to get used to it. if you play alot of other games it may not be for you as it is kinda hard to use in like FPS. also it has zillions of ways to customize it but can be difficult in doing so.

my wife got jealous and bought a G700. and im quite impressed with it also. no were near the amount of buttons, but its got everything you need to almost stop clicking on action bars, it had little to no learning curve, the profiles are easy to set up (you DO have to bind 2 of the side keys to keyboard functions as wow does not recognize more than mouse 5 key) and had ZERO lag in wireless mode, even at over 20ft away. and i hate to say it, but it felt ALOT nicer in my hand.

all in all. im actually thinking of getting myself a G700 now lol (damn wife!)

Naga pros- many many buttons, smooth use, easy for small hands. multi profiles, endless key combos, prudy colors, did i mention tons of buttons?, ready to use outta the box (all side keys are pre mapped as 1 through = for your action bars)
NAga Cons- actually quite small, steep learning curve. setting up profiles can be tedious

G700 pros- Excellent feel, wired/wireless with zero lag even when changing modes, multi profiles with easy set up, easy learning curve, charges while in wired mode, no purdy colors (hey i DO like the sleekness of it)
G700 cons- battery life while gaming can be low on max gaming, have to use modifiers (ex alt-2 ctrl-3) to get the most out of the mouse, havent found a game yet that accepts higher than mouse 5 key so you have to bind atleast 2 keys to the keyboard.

together there about the same. some will like the naga more, some will like the G700 more. me? well my wife spoils me so imma get both lol.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

I got this one a couple days ago on Clearance at Best Buy for $40.00, I think its regularly 80 but its last year's model or something. I also saw the older Warcraft mouse there for 50 i think.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CHEQ8wIwAA#

Works pretty well, I only really need 2 buttons on the side for a mouse, but now i has 3!

I also set scroll up and scroll down to be 2 different shots too.

left thumb button - concussion shot
right thumb button - explosive shot
bottom thumb button - black arrow
scroll up - kill shot
scroll down - serpent sting

~ Hrm I should maybe switch serpent sting to cobra shot since I cast cobra a lot more. (just typing out loud sorry :) )
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

In my opinion the gaming mouses are too expensive.

I've got a Steelseries Xai mouse, its pretty simple, but working awesome.

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Nothing in gaming is cheap. ;)

WoW is easily playable for the average player with a standard mouse and keyboard. However, having a gaming mouse, and even keyboard, can make your gaming experience easier/more enjoyable.
Note I said can, and not will, meaning that what I said is subjective.

I personally love my Naga and look forward to customizing and training myself for the button usage further to try and get myself away from clicking my action bars and tunnel visioning on them. :)

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
zedxrgal

I'm heading to Best Buy to look at the three suggestions tomorrow. But right now due to certain circumstances my gift to myself is being put on hold. :( But I still want to see them and see which really is going to be "the one".

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

zedxrgal wrote:I'm heading to Best Buy to look at the three suggestions tomorrow. But right now due to certain circumstances my gift to myself is being put on hold. :( But I still want to see them and see which really is going to be "the one".
Check to see if they have any on clearance :)
seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

zedxrgal wrote:I'm heading to Best Buy to look at the three suggestions tomorrow. But right now due to certain circumstances my gift to myself is being put on hold. :( But I still want to see them and see which really is going to be "the one".

well a good thing ive always found about best buy is that they dont care if you bring the mouse back fro any reason, so dont be afraid to try one. if you dont like it they will take it back no problem!
when i build rigs alot of times people ask me would i get this, or get that when it comes to peripherals. its all down to the person and how they play. you could try the naga or the G700 and think they are the worst things to ever be created, and thats completely fine. they could even hinder ur gameplay (ive seen it), and you could try a 15$ bargain bin mouse and it could be the best thing you ever used, just because something works awesome for me or anyone else does not mean you will like it at all.

take a look at there selection, hell you CAN ask for a employee to take it outta the box to let you see how it feels in ur hand (i do it alot).

there is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with playing with a *cheaper* mouse, its all about comfort and feel. just because a mouse is expensive does not automatically make it the best choice for YOU
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

I am looking to buy a new mouse too, and I really don't know what to get..
I have looked up reviews in the new from Steelseries, but they didn't say too much good about it. Also, it may seem to be way to big for me. I have extremely small hands.

I have Image this one now, if that might give you an impression of the size if my hands. They still have about 1,5 - 2 cm to go down the mouse, and the buttons are not as sensitive anymore so I have to stretch to make them react when clicking on something.

I have looked up the razer naga mouse too, and it seems to look big, but people say it's good. Also, I would love to have multiple buttons to handle since many classes have way too many spells to fit into three action bars with hot-keys.

So what do you guys think? What would you suggest?

I also have a problem with the mouse lagging and getting stuck on the screen, and having to drag it halfways across the table to move it 5 cm.. And I like them wireless, since the cords just get in my way, but I can sacrifice that part for a good mouse.

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

zedxrgal

Miyon -
I must have really small hands to because I went to Best Buy and tried the WoW Steelseries, Logitech G500 & G700 and the Razer Naga. I gave all of them their time in my hands and the Razer Naga is the only one that fit the best. The SS WoW mouse was HUGE in my hands and no joke felt like a brick in both size and weight. The two Logitechs weren't far behind. I came home with the Naga and totally love it.

If you can go someplace that has all the mice you want to look at and physically get your hands on them. Looking at them online, at least for me, would have led to my buying the wrong one.

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Miyon wrote:I am looking to buy a new mouse too, and I really don't know what to get..
I have looked up reviews in the new from Steelseries, but they didn't say too much good about it. Also, it may seem to be way to big for me. I have extremely small hands.

I have this one now, if that might give you an impression of the size if my hands. They still have about 1,5 - 2 cm to go down the mouse, and the buttons are not as sensitive anymore so I have to stretch to make them react when clicking on something.

I have looked up the razer naga mouse too, and it seems to look big, but people say it's good. Also, I would love to have multiple buttons to handle since many classes have way too many spells to fit into three action bars with hot-keys.

So what do you guys think? What would you suggest?

I also have a problem with the mouse lagging and getting stuck on the screen, and having to drag it halfways across the table to move it 5 cm.. And I like them wireless, since the cords just get in my way, but I can sacrifice that part for a good mouse.

Heh thats the exact mouse I currently have. For 40 bucks (on clearance), I love it personally :)

Thos Naga are dead smexy though, I would go with one of those if you're looking to spend a little bit more.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Miyon, the Naga is actually a very small, slim mouse. It's far from being big. :)

[/center]
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

A good mousepad can make a huge difference on how well the mouse works. The mouse pad that you get for buying the collectors edition of cata for example looks nice but it has alot of drag on the mouse I find. I'm using the Razer Destructor and I find it makes a pretty big difference compared to other mouse pads. Another reason I got it is because I found some pads can wear down the feet on the mouse easily and this made the mouse drag.
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Miyon »

AdamSavage wrote:A good mousepad can make a huge difference on how well the mouse works. The mouse pad that you get for buying the collectors edition of cata for example looks nice but it has alot of drag on the mouse I find. I'm using the Razer Destructor and I find it makes a pretty big difference compared to other mouse pads. Another reason I got it is because I found some pads can wear down the feet on the mouse easily and this made the mouse drag.
My current mousepad is a new one from Steelseries, a soft one, but it sits well on the table. It was something limited edition or whatever with worgen on it. It's the best one I have had so far though :p

Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Miyon »

zedxrgal wrote:Miyon -
I must have really small hands to because I went to Best Buy and tried the WoW Steelseries, Logitech G500 & G700 and the Razer Naga. I gave all of them their time in my hands and the Razer Naga is the only one that fit the best. The SS WoW mouse was HUGE in my hands and no joke felt like a brick in both size and weight. The two Logitechs weren't far behind. I came home with the Naga and totally love it.

If you can go someplace that has all the mice you want to look at and physically get your hands on them. Looking at them online, at least for me, would have led to my buying the wrong one.
I think I shall go and find a store that has it so I can just get a feel of it. The one I have now I just bought over the internet without trying, but I am quite happy with it, or was. It's 4 years now I think.
I also have a bad habit of lifting the mouse when idling, so I wouldn't like it to be too heavy either.