50%

Total votes: 52

Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Re: Religion

Unread post by Epicfail »

Moore wrote:I like how you equate Paganism with believing in ghosts or aliens while claiming you saw the face of god. Real cool and christ-like of you ;).
I'm not sure. Ghosts and Aliens may be real... If you read it again, you might see how I'm not trying disrespect anyones belief, so much as I'm saying I can't speak for them. My personal stance procludes my believing in the power of other deities regardless of their existence in one way or another. I'm entitled to an opinion right? :) As for seeing the face of God: I didn't want to see Him, but when I did, I couldn't deny Him. That's all I'm saying. I could probably get offended by your misrepresenting Christ by associating Him with the nice guy who accepts and respects everyone in the way they feel they are due but... meh.. whatever dude... :D I'm not the crazy "I'll kill you if you have dirty thoughts about the virgin mary" type... I personally believe people who do get strung up that tight understand even less about Christ than you do :)
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

You do know Paganism and beleaveing in ghosts etc are not the same thing right lol.
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

Epicfail wrote:
Moore wrote:I like how you equate Paganism with believing in ghosts or aliens while claiming you saw the face of god. Real cool and christ-like of you ;).
I'm not sure. Ghosts and Aliens may be real... If you read it again, you might see how I'm not trying disrespect anyones belief, so much as I'm saying I can't speak for them. My personal stance procludes my believing in the power of other deities regardless of their existence in one way or another. I'm entitled to an opinion right? :) As for seeing the face of God: I didn't want to see Him, but when I did, I couldn't deny Him. That's all I'm saying. I could probably get offended by your misrepresenting Christ by associating Him with the nice guy who accepts and respects everyone in the way they feel they are due but... meh.. whatever dude... :D I'm not the crazy "I'll kill you if you have dirty thoughts about the virgin mary" type... I personally believe people who do get strung up that tight understand even less about Christ than you do :)
But your original statement says "They probably aren't real" which at the very least isn't respectful.

Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

cowmuflage wrote:You do know Paganism and beleaveing in ghosts etc are not the same thing right lol.
Well. I think Paganism can be taken many ways, but the two major definitions I can find online at the moment state it to be more or less from one or two contexts: 1) Polytheists or 2) people who don't believe in God. Feel free to correct me as I am in no way shape or form a scholar or theologan who really cares to study such things and am otherwise prone to being very human and falible. :D

Either way, Polytheism seems to me to be about believing in the spirits of nature, earth, elements, whathaveyou. There are some people that believe just as strongly that ghosts and aliens, portals to other realms and other cool ideas inspired by the occult, science fiction or fantasy actually exist. I believe the only way for you to seriously believe is to have an encounter with said spirit/alien/ghost that causes you to abandon all other understandings to pursue what you have actually experienced. I don't care what the flavor of koolaid is: an encounter where you cannot deny the truth trumps anything you have heard about. Its like having no previous experience and then talking to a person who just skydived only to say, meh, I completely understand how they felt plummetting from the sky like that... it just doesn't work.

Now, I absolutely believe those who say they are Christians really should have to go through an encounter situation where they see God, rely on Him or another faith experience that really solidifies their faith into something alive in their lives. Otherwise its just... book knowledge right? Not just a faithhealing BOOM! BE HEALED UPSIDE YO HEAD SON! experience as I really don't know what to think about that. OK, this is kinda how I feel about that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SS95q2kpg

I know what I saw when I was 19, what I see of Him in my life today as I walk as a believer and what I hear from others who have actually had an encounter who said the exact same thing I did. I just cannot deny Him. He's real and MAN is He awesome. If you have had a personal encounter with Bob The panther spirit and he's everything you ever hoped for, yeah, I'm not going to dog ya. Like I said, I don't know much outside of my own personal testimonys, experiences and faith. I won't speak in absolutes except that something very real happened to me and continues to happen with me... and God is really awesome. I mean, if I could share what I felt in that moment with anyone, I'd bottle it and make a killing... though I'd probably get struck by lightning or something for profiting from His Epicwin Essence... yeah... the name is catchy though... ::thunder rolls on cue:: uh... nevermind. lets not.

Much of what I wrote above is personal opinion based on my own experiences. I am in no way shape or form wanting to argue about religious issues, nor do I particularly want to disrespect the awesome peeps of petopia :hug: regardless of what you believe. I opened myself up a bit and shared a bit of what I believe as I expect most of you have in the other posts. Granted, I'm different from most of you. I get that. Its ok. I still love you guys even though you are no where near as epically awesome... or... fail as I am. You may try your whole lives to win or fail as hard as I do and... really, its quite flattering... I feel.. ya know.. appreciated and stuff... :D Please, no autographs, statues or blatent idolitry... Its really too much for lil old me :D

As always: hold your applause... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpYEJx7P ... re=related
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Um you may want to do some research as Polytheism is:

Polytheism is the belief of multiple deities also usually assembled into a pantheon of gods and goddesses, along with their own mythologies and rituals.

Polytheism was the typical form of religion during the Bronze Age and Iron Age, up to the Axis age and the gradual development of monotheism or pantheism, and atheism. It is well documented in historical religions of Classical Antiquity, especially Greek polytheism and Roman polytheism, and after the decline of classical polytheism in tribal religions such as Germanic polytheism or Slavic polytheism. It persists into the modern period in traditions such as Hinduism, Shintoism, Chinese folk religion, etc., and it has been revived in currents of Neopaganism in the post-Christian West.

So do your research before saying something like "paganism is beleaveing in ghosts"
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Moore wrote:
Epicfail wrote:
But your original statement says "They probably aren't real" which at the very least isn't respectful.

1. Are you allowed to believe what you want to? yes.
2. Are you allowed to say you do not believe in God? Yep.
3. Are you allowed to call me a liar? Sure.
4. As an atheist or Paganist, do you say God doesn't exist? probably...
5. Even though I saw Him and know he's real? Yeah...
6. If you are able to blatently say my God doesn't exist and I have to accept that, can you possibly find it in your heart to forgive me for believing your gods don't probably exist? :D please?
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

cowmuflage wrote:Um you may want to do some research as Polytheism is:

Polytheism is the belief of multiple deities also usually assembled into a pantheon of gods and goddesses, along with their own mythologies and rituals.

Polytheism was the typical form of religion during the Bronze Age and Iron Age, up to the Axis age and the gradual development of monotheism or pantheism, and atheism. It is well documented in historical religions of Classical Antiquity, especially Greek polytheism and Roman polytheism, and after the decline of classical polytheism in tribal religions such as Germanic polytheism or Slavic polytheism. It persists into the modern period in traditions such as Hinduism, Shintoism, Chinese folk religion, etc., and it has been revived in currents of Neopaganism in the post-Christian West.

So do your research before saying something like "paganism is beleaveing in ghosts"
Yep. Thats what I read about polytheism and contexted down to what I did. That being said, I don't context down well without skipping alot of content... thats my bad. There's a heck of a lot more to it, but what matters to me is what is real. If you met a real ghost and had no doubt about it, I'd accept that you did. It wouldn't change my view... unless I possibly had a similar experience. Do you believe in a god or even a pantheon of gods that you've had no interaction with? I mean, you're welcome to. Everyone's different. Everyone sees different things. If you said you one day met Zeus and he showed you Olympus and you recognized a bunch of other gods and goddesses and it was this awesome experience... firstly I'd probably ask what you were on when it happened... I noticed you didn't ask me that... :P For the record, I was clean when it happened to me. LOL. If you had a genuine experience with a god, share it! Be happy for it! If you consider it a blessing totally share it with the same zeal that I have shown you with my experience. Otherwise, its my opinion that any criticizm you throw at me for what I believe is just you dogging me personally for believing in God, not debating relevant facts or whatever...

Oh, and aliens/ghosts aren't gods... I never said it. I"m trying to say that I feel that believing in those subjects (that have more myth and legend to them than actual fact) without living proof and personal experiences is an empty faith just like believing in God without ANY presence of Him in your life. If you find that insultive.. ok... its my opinion. I'm sure you have opinions that I might take offense to. I accept that. I ask that you do as well :D
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Moore »

Nobody in this thread told you that your god didn't exist. People merely stated that they were Atheist, Pagan, or Religious.

However; if you're referring to my:

"I like how you equate Paganism with believing in ghosts or aliens while claiming you saw the face of god. Real cool and christ-like of you ;)"

as me saying your god doesn't exist I wasn't. It's more like I was pointing out how ironic your statement was.

Oh, and aliens/ghosts aren't gods... I never said it. I"m trying to say that I feel that believing in those subjects (that have more myth and legend to them than actual fact) without living proof and personal experiences is an empty faith just like believing in God without ANY presence of Him in your life. If you find that insultive.. ok... its my opinion. I'm sure you have opinions that I might take offense to. I accept that. I ask that you do as well

Religion is just as much myth and legend as aliens and ghosts are. Containing as you said more myth and legend to them, than actual fact. ;)

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Let's stay on topic, everyone. This thread is about sharing our own personal experiences, not critiquing others.
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Moore »

gormanghaste wrote:Let's stay on topic, everyone. This thread is about sharing our own personal experiences, not critiquing others.
No the thread really is just because I was curious about petopias userbase and nothing more, it wasn't really intended to be a "share your experience" thread :lol:

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Epicfail wrote:I know what I saw when I was 19, what I see of Him God in my life today as I walk as a believer and what I hear from others who have actually had an encounter who said the exact same thing I did. I just cannot deny Him God. He'sGod's real and MANGod is He God awesome. If you have had a personal encounter with Bob Kyle, The Panther-Spirit and he's everything you ever hoped for, yeah, I'm not going to dog ya. Like I said, I don't know much outside of my own personal testimonys, experiences and faith. I won't speak in absolutes except that something very real happened to me and continues to happen with me... and God is really awesome. I mean, if I could share what I felt in that moment with anyone, I'd bottle it and make a killing... though I'd probably get struck by lightning or something for profiting from His God Epicwin Essence... yeah... the name is catchy though... ::thunder rolls on cue:: uh... nevermind. lets not.
[/quote]

Fixed that paragraph to be more PC in the philosophical discussion.

Pagans believe in many Gods which can have ghosts or spirits included in some forms or some religions. There are many types of Pagan religions just like there are many types of Monotheistic religions.

I personally believe that overall that the existence of humans is beyond comprehension for humans to understand. It's kind of like attempting to teach my Pug (my puppy) how to calculate taxes for 2011. Sure she will take a guess and form an opinion on what I'm doing (something along the lines of... "thats not food...") but overall I'm not going to be able to get through to her on what exactly I'm doing since its beyond what she's able to comprehend as a Pug.
Last edited by Royi on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Moore wrote:
gormanghaste wrote:Let's stay on topic, everyone. This thread is about sharing our own personal experiences, not critiquing others.
No the thread really is just because I was curious about petopias userbase and nothing more, it wasn't really intended to be a "share your experience" thread :lol:

There was a book by Douglas Adams (hitchiker's guide author) called "A long dark tea time for the soul". It was a modern day story, and one of the plotlines was that Thor and Odin were still living amongst us, they simply just didn't have the power they used to because no one believed in them anymore (God's are powerful when they have believers). So they were still God's amongst the earth, they just didn't have any power or influence anymore. It was interesting (and very witty and funny)
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

Personally I don't believe in calling them 'Pagan Religions'. There really isn't much evidence that makes them less valid than the Triumvirate of Monotheistic Religions.

Reminds me of a quip from Billy Connolly "It seems to me that Islam and Christianity and Judaism all have the same god, and he's telling them all different things. "

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Moore »

Setanta wrote:Personally I don't believe in calling them 'Pagan Religions'. There really isn't much evidence that makes them less valid than the Triumvirate of Monotheistic Religions.

Reminds me of a quip from Billy Connolly "It seems to me that Islam and Christianity and Judaism all have the same god, and he's telling them all different things. "
I use Pagan Religion as a broader description encompassing religious systems that don't have a central figure of worship. Why? because that's what as far as I've know they've always been called. It's not an offensive term it's just a rough way to encompass a lot of different polytheistic systems of belief. I don't want to have to list out every Gallic god, Germanic gods, etc. :P

Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

Moore wrote:
Setanta wrote:Personally I don't believe in calling them 'Pagan Religions'. There really isn't much evidence that makes them less valid than the Triumvirate of Monotheistic Religions.

I use Pagan Religion as a broader description encompassing religious systems that don't have a central figure of worship. Why? because that's what as far as I've know they've always been called. It's not an offensive term it's just a rough way to encompass a lot of different polytheistic systems of belief. I don't want to have to list out every Gallic god, Germanic gods, etc. :P
I get where people are coming from with it...it's because they've been defined as Pagan for so long it's how they're thought of. The funny thing is at least to me that it's a derogatory term in an encompassing way. :)

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Unread post by Moore »

Setanta wrote:
Moore wrote:

I get where people are coming from with it...it's because they've been defined as Pagan for so long it's how they're thought of. The funny thing is at least to me that it's a derogatory term in an encompassing way. :)
I don't see how it's derogatory, but then again words don't really offend me. D:

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Moore wrote:No the thread really is just because I was curious about petopias userbase and nothing more, it wasn't really intended to be a "share your experience" thread :lol:
Heh, I did phrase that awkwardly. I wasn't trying to encourage people to 'witness' or anything, just play nice.

The interesting thing about the word pagan is that it originally just meant 'rural'. It became slang in the Roman military for someone from the country, which was then adopted by the Christian church.

While many Pagans wouldn't use the word to describe their specific beliefs, it's become a convenient umbrella term. I was involved for a while in a local CUUPS group--great people with a wide range of beliefs and very accepting of everyone.
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

gormanghaste wrote:While many Pagans wouldn't use the word to describe their specific beliefs, it's become a convenient umbrella term.
Just like how the convenient umbrella term for Christian, Judaism, and Muslim can be called "Mono" or "Monos"
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Royi wrote:There was a book by Douglas Adams (hitchiker's guide author) called "A long dark tea time for the soul". It was a modern day story, and one of the plotlines was that Thor and Odin were still living amongst us, they simply just didn't have the power they used to because no one believed in them anymore (God's are powerful when they have believers). So they were still God's amongst the earth, they just didn't have any power or influence anymore. It was interesting (and very witty and funny)
I've enjoyed a couple of other books with a similar theme: Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. I've read other Adams books, but not that one specifically--will have to look it up.
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

gormanghaste wrote:
Royi wrote:There was a book by Douglas Adams (hitchiker's guide author) called "A long dark tea time for the soul". It was a modern day story, and one of the plotlines was that Thor and Odin were still living amongst us, they simply just didn't have the power they used to because no one believed in them anymore (God's are powerful when they have believers). So they were still God's amongst the earth, they just didn't have any power or influence anymore. It was interesting (and very witty and funny)
I've enjoyed a couple of other books with a similar theme: Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. I've read other Adams books, but not that one specifically--will have to look it up.
here ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_D ... f_the_Soul

Oh its Dirk Gently at his finest (if you're familiar with that character)