Fire Boar?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Nubster
Realm: Shadowmoon

Fire Boar?

Unread post by Nubster »

Hello all I'm a new hunter to these forum. With all that aside I seen a new boar skin today that's not listed here. I asked the hunter where he found the boar he told me a starting quest in mulgore. The pet has no control buttons or something like that according to him. Said it took 2 of them an hour to tame it, and had to time it just right. Very cool skin.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Re: Fire Boar?

Unread post by Darknez »

There is a quest in Mulgore that results in setting fire to food troughs that also ignites any nearby boars.
The fire is a 'buff' to the poor pig, and shortly afterwards the pig dies.

It is (or at least was) possible to tame the pig along with the fire effect - but the process is a bit of a grey area for some and completely illegal for others!

Search for "Tame Pets With Appearance Buffs" for more information on this...
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7084

The use of the PetAbandon() script has potentially been removed, but the 'old way' of taming the boars, that is to use tame beast just before the boar topples over dead and rapidly spam 'revive pet', is still reported as working.

It took me a few tries to get it working on Luau (I did it the 'old fashioned' way rather than PetAbandon) so you may need a very patient guildie. Or an understanding stranger. :)
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin US/Farstriders US

Unread post by Vetiver »

unless they "fixed" it again on tuesday, the abandon pet macro still works if you tame one of them like normal and dismiss it before trying. there was a thread on this somewhere.

last week alone i tamed 2 ghostpaw runners for lowbie hunters, 2 flaming boars plus helped two friends get one, diseased elwynn wolf, princess with a ribbon (hardest one for some reason, taking like 20 attempts when i got all the others on the first or within three tries) oops wolf plus helped two friends get one, and a consumed thistle bear even though i let that one go (just not my thing). it may appear to not be working if you do not tame one and dismiss before trying the macro, which i don't think you had to do beforehand but i don't know for sure since last week was the first time i had tamed any pets this way. ^_^

as for the boars, you will need a friend to help for things to go as smoothly as possible. tame one, then dismiss it. then tame *another one* while standing right next to or on top of the troughs. get you friend to have you targeted so he can see your cast time, and then have him throw the torch when you are a little over halfway finished with the tame. then hit your macro as fast as you can when you have 1 second or less left on the tame. after you have done this, if you can initiate another tame on a nearby pig, it didn't work so do it again. if you get a message that says "you already have an active summon" then grats! log out and back in and greet your new piggy friend.

(i say have your friend throw the torch halfway through your tame because they die pretty quickly while on fire, so if you don't start taming until after it's on fire it will most definitely die mid tame)

Thrawna Partyfavor Poliwrath Mint

...plus many, many more. <3

malikith
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by malikith »

Just had an interesting idea..not sure if anyone has tried this but...since the fire is a buff...has anyone tried dragging another beast over to be burned? If that works...seems you could have anything in mulgore as a flaming pet.

Lion...lioness...Tallstrider...wolf...coyote..vulture

Ive not tried taming anything using these methods but for all those that have..this may prove an intruiging challenge
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Vetiver »

if that works then you are a genius and my own personal hero. BRB SPENDING AN HOUR TRYING TO DO THIS.

Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

recently i've seen a few posts about these pets and a non working pet bar. probably blizzard's incompetent programmers' trying to fix it so we cant tame pets with the auras, but they failed (just like all the other patches, etc) and it just caused the pet bar to not work correctly.

"It is no longer possible for hunters to tame pets in a way that allows them to keep any buffs the creatures had on them prior to being tamed."
dec 13 hotfix
Cozzene
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Cozzene »

Taming one regularly, dismissing, and trying to tame with the macro didn't work on the oil wolves as of ~2 weeks ago (for me). Cleared the things out completely 3x with no luck =( I hope it works for the boars though so you can get your pet.
Carnifex
Realm: Nathrezim-US

Unread post by Carnifex »

malikith wrote:Just had an interesting idea..not sure if anyone has tried this but...since the fire is a buff...has anyone tried dragging another beast over to be burned? If that works...seems you could have anything in mulgore as a flaming pet.

Lion...lioness...Tallstrider...wolf...coyote..vulture

Ive not tried taming anything using these methods but for all those that have..this may prove an intruiging challenge
I checked this, out of curiosity, but the fire only seems to affect those battleboars. I dragged a strider over to stand directly on top of a trough, then threw the torch; a boar next to the trough ignited but the strider was totally unaffected.
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Vetiver »

sadface :(

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Nightsights wrote:recently i've seen a few posts about these pets and a non working pet bar. probably blizzard's incompetent programmers' trying to fix it so we cant tame pets with the auras, but they failed (just like all the other patches, etc) and it just caused the pet bar to not work correctly.

"It is no longer possible for hunters to tame pets in a way that allows them to keep any buffs the creatures had on them prior to being tamed."
dec 13 hotfix
Yep, they did in fact try to fix it. To be clear, the fix didn't work, and we haven't seen it mentioned in any patch notes or hotfixes since then, to my knowledge.
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

malikith
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by malikith »

Ah too bad. was a nice idea. But you realize that means its not REALLY a buff but an inherant quality within the code for that pet, otherwise it Would work on any animal dragged through the fire..as such it would recquire removing the code in order to remove the ability to tame it while flaming and that has the potential to mess up the quest (assuming of course the quest has something to do with charbroiled bacon bits... as Ive never actually done the quest myself).

This concept could be extended to any pet with a similarly granted buff. Maybe the idea could be tested on various other beasts in the area or even more importantly on other such buffs in other zones on other beasts which recquire a personal action to retain said buff upon taming.

P.S. i wouldnt go so far as to call people Incompetant I would merely suggest that they didnt think it was a big enough issue to dig deep enough to find the answer. Which works in the favour of the Hunter community.
seclipse
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garithos

Unread post by seclipse »

tamed a oil stained wolf using the macro. no pre tame or anything, got him on my first try. you just have to wait till there is like 1s left on tame. also went and tried it on lone hunter again (already had him but wanted to try the macro again) and got him on my third try. you just cant spam the macro anymore. just wait till ur tame is almost done then log out and back in and bam pets got the appearance.

but for TOS sake, i did release both promptly lol. cept my original lone hunter! he like my fav pet lol.

this was yesterday also 2/12/11
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Vetiver »

i was able to get all of the tames by spamming the macro, but i didn't start spamming until 1s was left. if i accidentally started before then it didn't work.

penicillin

Unread post by penicillin »

Tamed him yesterday on 2 chars (not using that script).

A question about this boar, does it make any difference if you tame a lvl 3 or a lvl 4 boar for the size the tamed version will have?

I don't remember which lvl I tamed but on my Dranai the boar was smaller than a Dwarf standing next to me with the same pet, same for a Worgen hunter who allso had a larger pet. I know they both tamed a lvl 4 version (both these tames where not using the script either, just for info).

Or is the size difference just a matter of different races having different pet sizes?
Griffley
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Outland - EU

Unread post by Griffley »

No it does not matter penicillin, only the level of the beast - after tame, makes it bigger
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

That hotfix was to try and fix those who kept a debuff like the bird, or anything that would add favor to you in some way. Otherwise if its just for show and its ruining someones gaming experience and they dont complain about it, blizzard doesnt care and is fine with it from what all those other posts are saying. So as long as you dont tame any of those who had some sort of debuff you should be perfectly fine to tame.

I know for one I enjoy my fire piggie and oil wolf :)

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Gemmuh
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Gemmuh »

I tamed him using the petabandon script. still works ^^ still awesome.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

malikith wrote: But you realize that means its not REALLY a buff but an inherant quality within the code for that pet, otherwise it Would work on any animal dragged through the fire..
Not sure what you mean by this, but it's definitely a buff--it will be cleared by entering arena or rated BGs, which remove "hidden" buffs/debuffs :) I'm sure the quest/burning torch effect is only coded to actually hit the quest mobs themselves, i.e. the armored boars of the area.

To everyone else, I've tested both on live and ptr, and my results:

* Taming/dismissing a pet beforehand made 0 difference.
* Some of the tames required quite a few attempts, some only a couple, and I could find no correlation.
* The petabandon method works both on Live and on PTR.
* The pets' action bar being unworkable is an issue both on Live and on the PTR. I too suspected that it was the devs' answer to the pets--simply making them worthless in combat, but showy pets--but regardless, I've seen a workaround posted and that is to spec the pet, which will auto-place the specced abilities (Last Stand, Intervene, Call of the Wild etc etc) and make the ability slots useable again.
Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Vetiver »

Acherontia wrote:
malikith wrote: But you realize that means its not REALLY a buff but an inherant quality within the code for that pet, otherwise it Would work on any animal dragged through the fire..
Not sure what you mean by this, but it's definitely a buff--it will be cleared by entering arena or rated BGs, which remove "hidden" buffs/debuffs :) I'm sure the quest/burning torch effect is only coded to actually hit the quest mobs themselves, i.e. the armored boars of the area.

To everyone else, I've tested both on live and ptr, and my results:

* Taming/dismissing a pet beforehand made 0 difference.
* Some of the tames required quite a few attempts, some only a couple, and I could find no correlation.
* The petabandon method works both on Live and on PTR.
* The pets' action bar being unworkable is an issue both on Live and on the PTR. I too suspected that it was the devs' answer to the pets--simply making them worthless in combat, but showy pets--but regardless, I've seen a workaround posted and that is to spec the pet, which will auto-place the specced abilities (Last Stand, Intervene, Call of the Wild etc etc) and make the ability slots useable again.
i have also noticed that some are way way harder than others. i had a terrible time getting a princess with a ribbon, but i've gotten flaming boars and lone hunters on the first attempt on multiple toons. the ashenvale wolf is also a little finicky from my experience.