Ready for the new hunter.

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Dna

Ready for the new hunter.

Unread post by Dna »

It's been awhile, I can say that. I've almost "avoided" playing another hunter, because of the fact I cannot get over level 30 with one. I just seem to get bored, and just quit. This time is different, I am ready to make my favorite class and go all the way with it. Any ideas for help and character development.
I want:
Horde
Beast Mastery (For all the wonderful adventure stories in the future, and my favorite "King Krush")

I need to know:
I need a race/look
I need some tips, advice, ect. to go all the way to 85 on this one.
PVP or PVE
Armor, pets, anything infomation to help me succeed.

I know this seems kind of stupid, and a simple google search could fix it, but I need "Expert opinion" (;
Thank you, it's been quite a long time since i've been on this forum.

To my Team, May we stick together forever.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Re: Ready for the new hunter.

Unread post by Aeladrine »

My first peice of advice would be to make your character on Nesingwary, so the guild can help you!(:
Second, choose your favourite race and make one you especially like the look of. I've found that the more I like how my character looks, the more likely I am to play them. Choose pets who you like the look of as well, not just ones that'll do a lot of damage. Any pet is viable and useful, so the thing that matters most is what you like!

Personally, to help keep myself with my characters, I make stories for them and their pets. Once they have a background and personality, I seem to stick with them a bit better. It's almost never anything complex, just a medley of feelings I get from the character.

Another idea: if you get bored with questing, go do some Archeology! You can get a lot of xp from it and it can be lots of fun! It also makes you go and travel, which I find very useful since when I get bored with questing it's usually because I need a change of scenery.

Most of all, have fun! And don't hesitate to ask your hopefully future guildies for help!

Just so you know, the horde-side guild on nesingwary is petopians. That's why I suggested that realm.(:

Good luck, hope that helped!
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Sookie
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Arthas

Unread post by Sookie »

I would suggest http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com for any basic information like spec, rotation, which pets are best, etc.

As for race, it's up to you. Unless you're into endgame min-maxing, high end raiding, etc. it really is up to which race you like the best visually. Goblins can be hunters and are very cute next to many big pets, and orcs and tauren are very nice too since (in my opinion) orcs seem like a realistic rough-tough hardy race, and tauren are most in tune with nature & animals, obviously important for ahunter. Trolls would be a good choice if you like their stylistic flair; they have a lot of attitude.

As for look? Well I think everyone has their idea of what looks good, thats really up to you.

As for getting all the way to 85; you mentioned you were coming back so maybe you haven't played much since the cataclysm. With the quests re-designed it's very easy to breeze through levels. There is a command post in the middle of orgrimmar (and the other cities) with a breadcrumb quest that will lead you to the area you should be questing in, and it updates as you ding every few levels or so. Also, almost all dungeon quests have been moved inside of the dungeons, so if you use random dungeon finder, you can accept the mission just inside the door and complete during the instance and net a larger overall XP gain. Add in the fact that many of the quests are simply more fun, and it's not too bad.

Honestly what kept me going grinding levels on my hunter (and other hunters I've made) is looking forward to new pets you will be able to tame at higher levels. To view these pets, simply go to petopia and use their pet search to search for the level range above you. You'll probably see something you like, and you can set a goal for yourself to get to that level so you can tame that pet, and then go on a little adventure to find it.

If you don't have BOA armor and you're interested in both PVE & PVP keep in mind that you can buy hard-to-fill slots with honor. Most notably, you can update your bow on every x8'th level (28, 38, etc). Check this link to see rewards pre-60 (at 60 you can start getting full tier sets so I wont list those. theyre available at 60, 70, 80, & 85): http://www.wowhead.com/items?filter=max ... v=0#0+12+1 Obviously ignore some of the rewards (mounts, gems) I'm talking about the gear.

If I were you I would start my quest by searching for the first awesome pet I could tame at level 10. For me that was the Duskstalker cat and the Elwynn forest starter Blackrock Battle Worg, both in alliance areas, so I had to have a certain plan & technique to get to them, but it was fun & exciting to look forward to & accomplish. My favorite low level pet ended up being The Rake, outside of Thunder Bluff. Check out the pets and find one you want, and I'm sure that will jump start your progress :)
irenedadler
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by irenedadler »

I don't know when was the last time you tried to level, but if it was before Cataclysm, then I think you will have a much easier time this time. The quests are far more streamlined and user-friendly, and the xp is scaled such that, if you go for 100% quest completion in each zone, your quest log is likely to start turning green before you finish the zone, depending on how much rested xp you have and whether you are using heirloom gear. But in the end what will get you to the max level is keeping it fun. While it's true that some times a grueling experience ends up feeling very rewarding when you look back on it, this is a game and it sounds like you're not going to get very far just by pressing yourself. So just take your time and take time to enjoy the content, instead of staring at your xp bar, willing it to move. Some of the questlines in the revamped classic zones are really cool, and are a genuine pleasure to work through, so take the time to read quest text to follow the story. Personally, my favorite zones are: Westfall (A), Redridge (A), Duskwood (A), Hillsbrad Foothills (H), WPL (both factions have quests, but I like the Horde version better), Badlands (A/H), and Winterspring (A/H). The two best quest-chains in the game are in Westfall and Badlands. Badlands is also home to the famous "The Day Deathwing Came" mini quest-line, which is a must-see for everyone, and is open to both Alliance and Horde.

As for PvE or PvP, I think if you have any doubt, you should go with PvE. The PvP rule-set caters to a very specific type of player that does not really get along with other types of players. PvP servers are also going to be tougher on beginners, because getting interrupted in what you're doing by having to make corpse runs can be very frustrating and discouraging.

Now, pets is a very personal thing. All pets are viable for solo-leveling, but each family does have it's own perks and I really think which family is best for you is something only you can decide with experience. As far as I remember, all hunter races start with a Ferocity pet, which is the most DPS, so that will be a good starting point. You can only have 1 pet with you for the first few levels, and you can't tame pets until level 10, so that will give you some time to get acquainted with your starter pet and see how you like it. In the meanwhile, you can browse the Petopia pet gallery and see if there's a pet that looks cool or sounds like it has a neat ability (I was pretty big into Dragonhawks for a while because of the Fire Breath ability :)), and make your plan to go tame one. In more objective terms, Cats will make the most "useful" pets because they buff your Agility, which translates to more DPS for you, and they're a Ferocity family, which means they will help you kill things a bit faster. I also love the self-heal that is deep in the Ferocity tree (Lick Your Wounds), which could come in really handy if you accidentally pull too much or are trying to solo an elite. On the other hand, Turtles are also nice because they have the Shell ability, which reduces their damage taken by 50%, so they can take more of a beating, and Tenacity family pets have Thunderstomp in their tree, which helps them maintain aggro against multiple targets. But again, I must emphasize that what pets would be a good match for you is a very personal thing and likely to be completely subjective, so just keep an open mind and keep checking out pets and playing with them :)

I don't think you have to worry about gear too much. If you can get BoA gear, that's great. If not, quest rewards will keep you suitably clothed pretty much the whole way. The biggest jump you'll have to make is from Northrend to Cataclysm zones. If you're only wearing Icecrown/Storm Peaks quest rewards, prepare to take a long time to finish the first round of quests in Hyjal :P Of course, at that point, you can probably grab some green Cata BoEs from the AH for fairly cheap, but I would say this is the only point at which buying gear off the AH is worth it (until you start trying to do heroic dungeons and need better gear).

If you're set on Horde-side and Beast Mastery, Orc would probably be the "best" choice in terms of racial bonuses, because they have 5% increased pet damage, and Blood Fury is also a good DPS cooldown. But if you're not max/min-ing for endgame, just choose whatever you like. Again, this is a personal choice. I personally like Blood Elves cuz they're pretty :P
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

Dna wrote:I need a race/look
For raiding I would say orc
For PvP I'd say Blood Elf/Undead
For Every other reason: Your favorite Horde Race
Dna wrote:I need some tips, advice, ect. to go all the way to 85 on this one.
A combonation of Questing, PvPing, and Dungeoning would be the best way to go to not get bored while leveling, but if you do take a break from leveling DO NOT DELETE THE CHARACTER! and when your ready pick it up again.

As for pets just use the ones you like it doesn't matter much for leveling
Last edited by Kurenio on Thu May 26, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Dna

Unread post by Dna »

All I can say is wow....If there is any forum community that has more care for other members, this one would get the award for it. As for all the posts, this really inspired me to continue my journey as a hunter. I have decided to continue a past character in his mid 30's. He is an orc, but sadly not on the guild server (I plan on changing) The story idea was a really great. Creating back story added some new err "life" in my character. Making it much more interesting. I thank you for that idea. I guess, looking in the future; at pets, 85, and raiding seems to give me some motivation. Thanks for the posts everyone<3

To my Team, May we stick together forever.
Nevyc
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: VentCo

Unread post by Nevyc »

I would just repeat what the other posters have said, but instead I'll repeat what you said!

This forum is the friendliest place on the internet. I'm going to make a hunter just for the Nesingway guild, so I can hang with such friendly folks.