Theorycrafting: Pet Taming In Cataclysm

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
User avatar
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Posts: 3260
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:45 pm
Realm: Aman'Thul
Location: Australia

Theorycrafting: Pet Taming In Cataclysm

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

So last night I was doing laps around Shol Basin, still in search of my pretty blue parrot, whom I have yet to even see... ever, and was thinking to myself.....

...... Hmmm maybe I should consider taming Krush if I see him instead?... Narr I don't have any haste gear on me, I'll tick that box later on down the track.... Lol probably wont be until cataclysm hits -_- .... Dam I need more stable slots.... Hang on!

In the upcoming Cataclysm expansion, hunters will no longer use mana. Hunters will instead draw upon focus as a primary resource, similar to energy used by rogues. This is likely to shift haste to a primary stat for focus regeneration.
wowwiki

So will this mean that haste will no longer effect how fast we shoot...? or for that matter reduce our cast time on spell....? Like tame beast....?
I have read enough "I finally tamed Krush after popping haste-pot, haste-potion, haste-buff, haste-aura, haste-trinket all at once with leet macros and had 1/2 a second to spare but got him!" threads to now think....

.... If this haste now to become a focus regenerating stat, will be able to tame Krush? Are the days of speed taming going to be a thing of the past?

◄ ─ T A N N O N ─ T H E ─ S P I R I T B I N D E R ─ ►

­
­
­
User avatar
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2873
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:19 am
Gender: Male
Location: ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Contact:

Re: Theorycrafting: Pet Taming In Cataclysm

Unread post by Nick »

God I hope so. I've always had eyes for taming that giant mutant Yoshi, but never had the time or gold to actually get all haste gear and pots, etc...

Image
Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

User avatar
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 16439
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:07 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US
Gender: Female
Location: Canada

Re: Theorycrafting: Pet Taming In Cataclysm

Unread post by Vephriel »

Wow, you bring up a very good (and scary!) point...

It's a little terrifying to think of what it will mean if we can no longer shorten the taming duration. >.> I can only pray Blizzard foresees this and gives us...something.
User avatar
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1912
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:57 am
Realm: Nordrassil
Gender: Male

Re: Theorycrafting: Pet Taming In Cataclysm

Unread post by Gimlion »

Well, I hope not... I like HARD tames (NOT rare, never seen, 19bajillion spawn point tames...) So, if it were to make taming things easier, no thanks...

Image

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
User avatar
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 6857
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm
Realm: US - Ysera
Gender: Female playing males and females
Location: My chair

Re: Theorycrafting: Pet Taming In Cataclysm

Unread post by Rhyela »

Gimlion, the thing about Krush is that you have to have haste to even think about taming him (especially after the nerf on TBW). He fears every few seconds, there's no two ways around it, and TBW only lasts so long. Having haste doesn't make taming him easier, it makes it possible. And even then, it depends greatly on luck. He seems to cast his fear a little randomly. Within a window, yes, but not on the dot. I mean, I agree that hard tames are fun, but having haste for Krush is just about a necessity. So if haste no longer has the same functionality and Krush still fears, well...that wouldn't be a hard tame, it would be an impossible tame. :(

Image

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
User avatar
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 642
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:03 am
Realm: Uldum
Gender: Im a Lumberjack and Im OK

Re: Theorycrafting: Pet Taming In Cataclysm

Unread post by Epicfail »

I honestly think taming will be shortened by haste. Its a channelled spell and I think all of the channelled spells have become faster with haste.

With tames like Krush, you need a faster tame because he'll interupt you after too long, but he's not the only tame that uses stuns, fears, etc to mess up our taming process. Maybe the alternative is just to make hunters more resiliant to interuptions somehow rather than just making tames faster. It may be that pet taming just becomes a skill that empties your focus bar so its uniform no matter what.

I'd love to theory craft more about it, but part of me really just wants them to confirm how things are done so I can get busy re-learning my favorite class :P
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
Post Reply