Why are Foxes so big? [ little rant/fuss ]

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Jaronn
Realm: Moon Guard (US)

Why are Foxes so big? [ little rant/fuss ]

Unread post by Jaronn »

This is probably a weird question, but...why are the Fox pets so huge? They finally changed it so the 'wild' foxes were smaller so why are the pets still giant? I understand that they do not want them mini-pet sized, but seriously, it bugs me a bit that my fox is the size of a tiger. :shock:

I do not think they need to be as tiny as the mini-fox pet, of course, but...somewhere between that and the current giant size would be nice! I mean, realistically, foxes are small animals! They don't get any larger than maybe thirty pounds and three, four feet long (most of that tail)! They shouldn't be as large a lion in my book.
Avatar by Lupis Darkmoon. Charm by The Doomcookie.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Why are Foxes so big? [ little rant/fuss ]

Unread post by Vephriel »

The foxes do look bizarre to me at max-level tamed size. >< I'm not really a fan of the foxes in general though, so it doesn't have much effect on me personally. I do agree that they seem way too large though.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I like them being so big. It makes them look proportionate along bigger toons. Plus for pvp purposes, they have to be a decent size so you can see them.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

You know WoW foxes might just grow bigger than real life ones. I mean it is a world where you can get spiders bigger than people after all.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

cowmuflage wrote:You know WoW foxes might just grow bigger than real life ones. I mean it is a world where you can get spiders bigger than people after all.
Oh this is true. C'mon, while we may do this ingame like its no big deal, if I saw Deth'tilac in my backyard, I'd scream bloody murder.

LisaaraPokefarm

Jaronn

Unread post by Jaronn »

cowmuflage wrote:You know WoW foxes might just grow bigger than real life ones. I mean it is a world where you can get spiders bigger than people after all.
I suppose that is true, but the foxes start off small. Even the level 85 ones are not much more than say knee-high on humans, etc. So why do they suddenly balloon up to be three, four times bigger? :?:

I can understand the Devilsaurs and some bigger pets shrinking a bit to get into doors, but I don't know if making the foxes like...a third smaller would make them that much harder for PvP. I mean, crocs are really low to the ground, which makes them harder to target. :lol:
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Araela »

Jessibelle wrote:
Oh this is true. C'mon, while we may do this ingame like its no big deal, if I saw Deth'tilac in my backyard, I'd scream bloody murder.
LOL If I saw a spider even remotely bigger than.. well .. okay I'm a wimp. lol I'm afraid of most spiders. >.<
Sam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Sam »

I agree they are unnaturally large, and I'd like to see them downsized a bit.
The minor glyph helps somewhat though... have you tried that?
"There are very few problems caused by sorcerers that can't be solved with a sharp stick."
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Jaronn wrote:This is probably a weird question, but...why are the Fox pets so huge? They finally changed it so the 'wild' foxes were smaller so why are the pets still giant? I understand that they do not want them mini-pet sized, but seriously, it bugs me a bit that my fox is the size of a tiger. :shock:

I do not think they need to be as tiny as the mini-fox pet, of course, but...somewhere between that and the current giant size would be nice! I mean, realistically, foxes are small animals! They don't get any larger than maybe thirty pounds and three, four feet long (most of that tail)! They shouldn't be as large a lion in my book.
Well the technical reason is simply that foxes share the same "auto-growth" effect as any other hunter pet, causing them to grow by X % per level.

But yeah, that aside, I'm with you - foxes look weird at large size imo (them and monkeys - both of which I suspect were optimized for new goblin and worgen hunters e.g. something that actually looks *right* with a young hunter, for a change). I mean for probably any other pet, bigger = better afaic. But not with foxes - expanding them is like having a gigantic mouse or squirrel - shoe just... doesn't... fit. :P

That's why I suggested a while back that they give us a one-pet-only scroll of pet reduction, as a new inscription recipe. E.g. like the glyph except it only affects the pets you want it to (and ofc, doesn't consume a glyph in the process, but that wasn't the main goal).
Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

I like them big. I always have an issue with pets seeming so tiny and insignificant. (Esp next to a tauren)
ImageImage
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Araela wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:
LOL If I saw a spider even remotely bigger than.. well .. okay I'm a wimp. lol I'm afraid of most spiders. >.<
You'd probably die at the sight of him in your backyard...XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US (H)

Unread post by Arisia »

I look at it this way... they're larger than wild Foxes because of the fact they're not having to hunt for food, search for water, or subject to any of the natural illness, injury and disease that a wild creature has to deal with. Since their Hunter feeds them, keeps the hydrated, rested, healed and trained to their utmost, they become, almost the ultimate of what their genetics COULD be-- add in no need to fight for position in pack/pride/whatever, and whatever the bond between Hunter and pet adds to them, and you have MIGHTY FOX. ;)

Oh, and so help me, if ANY of the insect-like pets showed up near my patio... I'd have a hairy, screaming fit... and then call the police... or the military... ;D
Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

I think I'd be more terrified of wow-sized wasps. The spiders would at least probably keep to their webs, but the wasps... *shudder*
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Oh god the wasps!!! XD or a Devilsaur man!

LisaaraPokefarm

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Pretty much any wow pet seen IRL would be excellent cause to head to the cold war bunkers. Including the fluffy ones. ;)
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Worba wrote:Pretty much any wow pet seen IRL would be excellent cause to head to the cold war bunkers. Including the fluffy ones. ;)
Like them giant nightsabers....oh lawd.

LisaaraPokefarm

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Yeah - think "10,000 BC pit scene" except where the smilodon follows its hardwired instincts...
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

I was wondering this myself today. I mean, wtf. My Worgen's fox is bigger than his MASTIFF. Why the hell are the dog pets not BIGGER? D:

I wants big dogs and not-as-big foxes. :<

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Jaronn

Unread post by Jaronn »

Pretty much! I don't mind them being a little bigger than the NPCs, but the fact they're so much bigger than even animals that are supposed to be twice their size? It's just weird to me.

I'm an oddball. I like a little dose of 'the real' in my pretend. :oops: :lol:
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

i dont like small WoW pets and i love foxes.. i is happeh :| what about using glyph of lesser poportion? i know its not much but it helps..

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |