Battle of The Imortals Stealing From Wow?

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Re: Battle of The Imortals Stealing From Wow?

Unread post by Karathyriel »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:For some of these things, there isn't much else they could be doing. The raptor? It's a RAPTOR. You can't change it much. And, as my bro pointed out, the model itself is indeed different. Again, what else could they do, make it run on all fours and have tentacles?
The cat animation - what else could they do, have it do a little spin? A roar is perfectly respectable and makes sense. What would you do if you made a kitty mount? Probably make it lift its head in a roar.
Gryphon - Errrrr. Sorry, PW. Can't defend this one.
Just the fact that there are at least 3 Mounts that are also used in WoW is a shame in itself.
Some things are quite natural, as probably all games with humans will have horse mounts.
But cats, raptors and gryphons?
To much of a coincidence.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Well, I have only seen Wings like that in two places... Tyrael, and Jak's Light Flight form in Jak 3

And the small game that you are thinking of -might- be PotC online... My little sister plays that, and their UI is almost EXACTLY the same as WoW

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

Just the fact that there are at least 3 Mounts that are also used in WoW is a shame in itself.
Some things are quite natural, as probably all games with humans will have horse mounts.
But cats, raptors and gryphons?
To much of a coincidence.
I dunno...
Cats are everywhere. The thought of riding a tiger is appealing, so you would think it would be in games everywhere. Besides, a game without a cat enemy is rare, and what stops them from being mounts? At least the PW cats look like cats.
Raptors - a bit more exotic. But again, riding a dinosaur seems to me like a classic MMO thing. It's like riding a gryphon, which brings me to my next point.
Gryphons will -always- be a MMO classic. Before I'd ever heard of WoW I knew that in a fantasy world, gryphons where mounts.

Lastly. I know this is a little ridiculous to even type, but I must type it!
Y'know, maybe Blizzard isn't the creator of everything. It's one of the first big MMOs, but it didn't think up Gryphons, cats, raptors, mushrooms, etc. They where already out there. Lots of them where probably being used already. Giant mushrooms is classic, so using it in your game isn't stealing from WoW, it's just putting a slightly over used environment into your game.

I do agree that more then one of these models are eerily similar to WoW ones, and it's a bit annoying, but at least they didn't name their game World of Warhammer and stuff it with orcs and elves. It PW wants to be lazy, their loss. People that play that game obviously aren't customers of Blizzard, or if they are, they probably don't mind that PW looks like WoW. All they're doing is scraping up some people that don't play WoW and repelling those people that do. They're being unoriginal and it's their loss.

I think I ranted. I'm sorry. I'll shut up now. >.>

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

LupisDarkmoon wrote:I dunno...
Cats are everywhere. The thought of riding a tiger is appealing, so you would think it would be in games everywhere. Besides, a game without a cat enemy is rare, and what stops them from being mounts? At least the PW cats look like cats.
Raptors - a bit more exotic. But again, riding a dinosaur seems to me like a classic MMO thing. It's like riding a gryphon, which brings me to my next point.
Gryphons will -always- be a MMO classic. Before I'd ever heard of WoW I knew that in a fantasy world, gryphons where mounts.
It's not about having the same mounts per-se, but if they RIPPED/STOLE the MODEL DATA from wow and edited it, no matter how much or little, for their own desires. Theft is theft is theft. And it's worse when you make a profit from it- I mean yes you can have griffons, cats and raptors in your game, but these all are erriely all to simaliar to [no I can not spell half the time] to the WoW models. Especially if they have the same patterns/armor OR actions even. I mean yes cats can yawn and stretch, but it would also be a fun idle animation for a cat to sit down. Or lay down, or bat at an unseen item with it's paws.

It's not that they 'stole the mount ideas' from Blizz, it's that they possibly STOLE ACTUAL GAME DATA/MODELS.

And if they did they're going to be in a serious world of hurt if they get sued by Blizz for theft.
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Nevar »

I do agree with Lupis - and to be honest..like the other game's raptor mounts better >< They look better to me but...anyways Blizzard is a great company and WoW is a great game however he is right they didnt think up the concepts for everything. There were plenty of MMO's before them..to me saying its all copied from them would be like saying "OMG! You got a puppy and my next door neighbor got a puppy! Your stealing the idea from them." Dosent make much sense but if thats what these people want to do then let them..Blizzard will know if they steal their stuff they arent that naive.

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Don't get me wrong here...

Blizzard did steal ideas from so many places, no doubt.

But it's one thing to steal an idea and make it come to life in your style and something completely different to just copy stuff without any effort of your own creativity.
Look at all the "big" MMOs like WoW, AoC, WAR and whatnot. WoW has dwarves, WAR has dwarves. Do they look the same? No. LotRO has dwarves too. Do they look like WoW or WAR dwarves? Nope.
Or look at the Orcs! Mr. Tolkien was pretty sure the inventor of orcs. Now compare the orcs from LotRO and WAR. Pretty different, huh? And as it is pretty sure that WoW-Orcs were inspired by the Warhammer-Orcs (pretty much as the trolls were inspired by Warhammer-Trolls as well), they weren't just copied.

Inspiration is something very different from stealing.

But when you look at the trailer, you litterally think of "Oh, look, Zanga Marshes! Oh, and there, Crystalsong!"
It's ridiculous!

"Stealing good is better than make it bad on your own." some people say. But to create a game just by copy & paste?
A bit lame, even for a "free2play" MMO! (Which do cost more when you start visiting item shops).

I somewhere found this "Harry Potter"-like MMO, where you were a young magician at school. It was kind of fun to see where you could find J. K. Rowlings ideas and where they did something on their own. That this game was for kids and that it was easy to play made it even more fun.
But then, the "free2play" told me to buy tokens, so I could enter a zone where a quest told me to go, I instantly deleted it from my hard drive.
That's not "free2play", guys!
Last edited by Karathyriel on Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I KNOW blizz took ideas, creatures, and other such concepts from other games especially Dungeons and Dragons... My dad is a HUGE D&D fan, I've looked through his books, I know a lot of the ideas came from those. That isn't stealing though... I couldn't care less if this game simply took the idea, and created THEIR OWN models... but from What I've seen, they didn't create their own models, they 'used' WoW's.... Which IS stealing. WoW, the last time I've checked, doesn't use MODELS from other games, they just borrow idea's, and that's the difference.

Edit: And Kara, I don't mind there being F2P games with a P2P option, for example: Runescape. But there shouldn't be F2P content/quests that end/require access to P2P content, unless these quests are only available to 'members'. Again, the best example I can think of is either Runescape, or Adventure Quest, which each have P2P areas/content, but don't require you to get into said content for F2P content quests.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Bulletdance
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Vek'nilash

Unread post by Bulletdance »

Well I agree some of them may be a stretch and most fantasy games would have giant panthers to ride and dinosaurs, but this is a little different. The animators of Wow made the models and animations and its terrible they took them and used them. And whats worse they are selling them for over 15 dollars each some in the hundreds of dollars I kid you not. I have a cat mount in one of their games and it is the exact same WoW animation of yawning and stretching. They have smaller ones that roll on their backs which are completely different,but there are many many things I see that just don't seem right. Inspiration is one thing,but out right theft is another. Its like someone taking a companies logo and changing the color of it, then using it. You bet they are going to get sued. The only question here is if Wow knows or not. The game the gryphon is in had open beta this month. Its possible Blizz is unaware or may have allowed it who knows.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

yeah its true blizz took things from others like the orcs are totally based of warhammers ones and the zerg are based of nids. but they did not out right copy like thse dudes did.
Firefrost
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Firefrost »

If you look at the feet of the raptors, you'll see they're amost identical. Just my 2 pence.

And the arms and hands are suspiciously similar.
U jelly?
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

let me sum this up

nobody truly created the animals and creatures that exist in these games thats a fact BUT, Blizzard worked hard and created skeletons/models/animations that where pretty accesable but protected by lots of legal crap

so here comes PW 2 years after wrath and 5 years after WoW in general, they see WoW is making money and that with simple programs they can take models/animations from WoW and edit them moderatly,however their origins become obvious when looked at very closely.

Does Blizzard have a lawsuite on their hands? YES
Will they do it? probably if they become aware of it
Do they have the rights? YES,it was their hours of work used to create the models being stolen and as long as traces of that work shows(meaning if they ask PW for the files and break em down to compare) then PW is in trouble.

thats all iv got but i hope this put this topic into perspective for everyone

also i beleive this skin was used on the PW griffon to try and make it look more original
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=5300#screenshots