Melee, Ranged, and Wands come Mists of Pandara

Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Re: Melee, Ranged, and Wands come Mists of Pandara

Unread post by Worba »

I have mixed feelings about this.

It will be nice not to even have to worry about ninja'ing (on either side), but yeah it will feel a bit odd not having any melee weapons - and being able to stand there pew-pew'ing at point blank instead of mixing it up properly with cool melee weapons creates a rather awkward mental image. But then AGAIN, we're not supposed to be lingering in melee long enough for proper melee weapons to really matter, so it's just aesthetics.

The one hope I would have is that, if hunters can no longer use melee weapons - can they at least have our gun / bow / crossbow appear across our backs the way they do with 2H weapons?? Otherwise we are going to look unarmed outside of combat / manual unsheathing. :|
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

They are also talking about leatherworkers making quivers for cosmetic purposes.. interesting. So would it be bow/gun/crossbow slot then a quiver slot again? I am sure we wont ever need arrows/bullets again but it may be interesting.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

In my opinion, I am pretty saddened....

I know I never got to use my melee weapons, but I enjoyed having them for looks. And specially with Transmog coming out I have been running around doing old instances, collecting all sorts of Polearms, Staves, Swords, just incase there was anything I wanted to switch to....

Im going to look so naked without my weapons. =/ I dont care about the stats! IM GOING TO BE NAKED. >.<
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Mychelle wrote:Im going to look so naked without my weapons. =/ I dont care about the stats! IM GOING TO BE NAKED. >.<
That's why I'm hoping (hope, hope, hope) that our ranged weapons will appear slung across our back when not in use (the way they do it with 2H now), otherwise we are going to be looking kind of silly.......
Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Calomel »

I am LOVING this change!

Sure, I had the 5-minute jaw drop of "what the hell", but after that I decided that I'm going to love this change so much. I still have my Quiver of a Thousand Arrows as a bag, and for a very short time, it STILL showed up as a quiver on my back even when I had it equipped as a bag. Which was the coolest thing ever and I missed it terribly when it disappeared. And after this change, I will never have to compete with a rogue or warrior for a sweet looking bow *ever again*. Now if I could only knock out the competition from the other hunters in my guild....hmmm....

I will trade my stat stick for a visible quiver, gladly.

My theories on what will happen:

Quivers and Ammo pouches will remain as bags, be unique-equipped and have a graphic when using one as a bag
<OR>
Our character sheets will have a place where we can put an ammo pouch or quiver and have it show up as a graphic on our characters.

I imagine that the same thing will apply to paladins for their librams. Some small slot on their character sheet that is a place for the libram.

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Monica Gems »

I think the main contribution to his was so that no class needed 2 different types of weapons to run at 100% efficiency. Sure I'll miss the look, but it'sbetter than having the druids screaming that we don't need them, and the rogues/warriors saying "Well you do it to druids!" while taking our ranged weapons.

I think /everyone/ will be better off with the weapon changs.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

I am still hopeful there will be enough protest from those who do collect melee weapons that Blizzard will reconsider not allowing hunters to equip melee weapons at all.

For those who are happy for the change, it's great that this won't impact your character aesthetics or reasons for playing, that it could possibly make gearing up easier (assuming they increase the accessiblity of ranged weapons, cause I have never gotten a ranged upgrade before getting a melee upgrade in Cata raids).

For those that aren't, I hope we can rattle the bars enough to make them realize that allowing the option of equipping melee weapons for RP or aesthetics would be a good compromise. It would make the collectors reasonably happy (oh, the stories I have to tell about each weapon I have!) and would not negatively affect other classes in group situations (as we can't ninja since melee weapons since would no longer be usable by our class.)

I know this has all been said already. I just want to keep rattling the bars in my own way. :)
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

I have to say for all that I love the look of (many of) my hunters' melee weapons, I would feel pretty odd just having it there for appearance only - among other things, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of avoiding gear tug of wars e.g. how would you be able to display a flashy epic polearm without actually looting it in the first place (along similar lines as transmogrification transfer rules)?
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Worba wrote:how would you be able to display a flashy epic polearm without actually looting it in the first place (along similar lines as transmogrification transfer rules)?
In my imaginary perfect world of compromise, in order to equip it (as a vanity item) you'd still have to loot it, just as you would currently obtain any other item you couldn't normally equip, like shields and wands. So in a 5 man dungeon you'd have to be lucky and win by a greed roll (or ask people to greed and then trade it to you), in a guild raid you could roll for it as an offspec item if no one needs it, etc.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

I was going to immediately vendor all my melee weapons when I heard the news, then I decided to hold off. This could change during testing. I think back to path of the titans. I just wanna give it a little longer before I vendor all my melee.
Tulune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Ravenholt

Unread post by Tulune »

I say it's about f'n time.
Wut?
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Quivering wrote:I was going to immediately vendor all my melee weapons when I heard the news, then I decided to hold off. This could change during testing. I think back to path of the titans. I just wanna give it a little longer before I vendor all my melee.
I was going to do the same. I have at least 20+ weapons Ive collected (Some of them hard to get, or cant even get anymore.)...but meh. Im really hoping they change this by the time the expansion comes out. I even got that silly Hunter's staff from Vanilla I was hoping to use....-sulks-
lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

I dont care if they get ride of them. I'll still keep mine for just because and who knows, they might bring them back and if you sell/delete them then you'd have nothing if they did.

I allways hated haveing to use my melee when something would get in my face...glad that will be gone.
Araela
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Araela »

While I'm bummed at the fact that I won't be able to show my weapons, or even have an appearance of a dual wield hunter RP type things going (daggers, for example- like a hunting knife), I am okay with this. I truly hope that they bring back the quiver appearances, but also that they will allow us to show our main range weapons on our backs as well - while running or something.
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I dunno...some of the bows, even though they looks -really- awesome to fight with, I think some of them slung across your back would look really silly. =/ Like the bow off of Illidian in BT. Awesome looking, Awesome to fight with....but the thought of that HUGE bow slung across my characters back....meh. (It was the bow I was going to Transmog to.)
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

Since our melee weapons are gone does this mean the ranged weapons will show up on our backs instead?

EDIT: read the above post so I'm guessing yes. One of the bows that dropped from the tempest keep stayed on my back once and I thought it looked weird.

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Hmmm not sure if this was mantioned before...But Blizzard kinda started hinting at Hunters melee weapons not being so important when they changed what weapon was viewed on the hunter in the login screen...

We use to see out hunters with thier melee weapons, and then it got changed so that instead of the melee weapon, out hunters are holding thier ranged weapons.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Mychelle wrote:I dunno...some of the bows, even though they looks -really- awesome to fight with, I think some of them slung across your back would look really silly. =/ Like the bow off of Illidian in BT. Awesome looking, Awesome to fight with....but the thought of that HUGE bow slung across my characters back....meh. (It was the bow I was going to Transmog to.)
Well, some of the 2H out now look pretty silly when slung across the back, too... but I take your meaning - maybe have it display / hide the way they do with helms and cloaks? I just think it will be weird if they have us running around with no weapons visible outside combat...
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I think its impractical from a survival standpoint. Think about it outside of just the wow story
In lord of the rings the elves (who are the master archers) still carry around swords for close combat.
If your going hunting with any ranged weapon don’t you at least have some kind of woodcutting axe or skinning/army knife with you?
in real life wouldn’t you want a sword/axe/staff w/e on hand incase someone came and snapped your bow and was aiming to snap your neck next?
Also I have played around a bit in Belegarth (its kinda a sport/hobby. People make their own weapons out of wood/foam/fiberglass ect ect and then duel each other or create massive armies and play objective games and whatnot. Lots of fun) people there have real bows and arrows (they put a penny on the tips and wrap them in foam for safety ;P) and I remember on my first day this guy shooting off arrows and picking everyone off from across the field. My dad decided to rush him thinking he was an easy kill once he got in melee range. NOPE! As soon as he got within a few paces the guy dropped the bow and pulled a sword off of his back and “killed” my dad so fast no one even had time to blink.
Do you think your character (or you) would be willing to give something like that up in a life or death situation where you would want every advantage possible? O.o
Oh yeah and as I have said before I have a big collection of melee weps that I’ll be quite mad about not being able to pick up anymore.

pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Unread post by pengupuff »

Honestly I think I'm more excited about having no minimum range than I am about the new race/class/continent. Automatically switching to melee in the middle of a heated pvp match (or a raid fight that requires stacking near the boss) is probably the worst thing ever. Even though the staves are pretty, I won't miss having the useless melee capability and I think the trade off is warranted.

Echoing others here, I'm very pleased that bows/guns will be exclusive to hunters now. I've gotten more than a little upset in the past over losing an awesome ranged upgrade to a warrior or rogue.

I do hope our ranged weapons show up on our backs though, or quivers at least. While I won't miss staves too much, I don't want my back to look naked.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!