Melee, Ranged, and Wands come Mists of Pandara

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Melee, Ranged, and Wands come Mists of Pandara

Unread post by Lisaara »

pengupuff wrote:Honestly I think I'm more excited about having no minimum range than I am about the new race/class/continent. Automatically switching to melee in the middle of a heated pvp match (or a raid fight that requires stacking near the boss) is probably the worst thing ever. Even though the staves are pretty, I won't miss having the useless melee capability and I think the trade off is warranted.

Echoing others here, I'm very pleased that bows/guns will be exclusive to hunters now. I've gotten more than a little upset in the past over losing an awesome ranged upgrade to a warrior or rogue.

I do hope our ranged weapons show up on our backs though, or quivers at least. While I won't miss staves too much, I don't want my back to look naked.
I lost the legendary TWICE to ninja warriors. :/

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Jeauno
Realm: Moon Guard (US)

Unread post by Jeauno »

I admit, I'm super excited about this actually. I've never really been one much for hand to hand weapons, let alone melee. That's part of why I rolled a hunter. I loved that being all ranged was a requirement of the class. To hear that they're going all out and taking away our stat sticks AND minimum range, I really couldn't be happier.

Meh, so we lose a couple of RP weapons and their looks. Honestly, I couldn't care less. Want to by more quivers. <3 :P

Meichelle (85) Moon Guard (US)

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

More looking on the bright side - that's one less enchant I have to buy when I get a new weapon, plus I no longer have to worry about the giant green glow that potentially clashes with the rest of my gear. (Some tiers worked out fine, like T11, but T12 looks horrible having a big glowy green thing on your back amidst the reds/oranges).
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Bleeding Hollow

Unread post by Agravaine »

Pardon my candor -- I do appreciate that there's a bright side, but I have to get this out:

I'm one of those old fogeys who's collected trophy stat sticks from the beginning and I'm LIVID that I can't use them to transmog anything.

Basically, I did multiple epic quests and endgame raids...
Killed literally tens of thousands of pvp foes for awesome looking stuff...
And now I can shove them where the sun don't shine.

Yeah... not liking this.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

On the plus side, you get a year's worth of transmog prior to that.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

True, there's that... I'm hoping they'll give us the option to display our hard-won old stuff, or a choice between that and quivers.

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

Vephriel wrote:More looking on the bright side - that's one less enchant I have to buy when I get a new weapon, plus I no longer have to worry about the giant green glow that potentially clashes with the rest of my gear. (Some tiers worked out fine, like T11, but T12 looks horrible having a big glowy green thing on your back amidst the reds/oranges).
This! So much this! I hate the glowy obnoxiousness of enchants. I have to take my weapon off for so many screenshots and it gets annoying!

Hunters are all about their ranged weapons so I don't understand the resistance to this change. We use bows and guns in combat not swords, axes, staves, or polearms. I don't mind losing mine one bit!
Agravaine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

'Course in MOP we'll be shooting things in the face and everyone who doesn't stack will get yelled at and called rude things, and the only things we'll have to worry about are our dps and staying out of the fire.

Once upon a time when AV was fun (yes, it actually was) I had an interesting conversation with a warrior guildie while taking out some warriors trying to ride up the hill to take the tower. It went something like this:

Warrior Guildie: What do you even need a polearm for? Hunters are all about ranged dps!

Me: (fires at a couple of warriors, they decide to come over and take me out) It's for warriors who get too close in AV!

(1st warrior gets into my dead zone, thinks he's got me... *whack* -- raptor strike crits, 1st warrior dies)

Me: Just took out a warrior who got too close with my polearm...

Warrior Guildie: That was a terrible, terrible warrior who didn't know what he was doing...

(2nd warrior closes in, thinks I'm a goner for sure... *whack* -- raptor strike crits again, 2nd warrior dies)

Me: Another one got too close :)

So yeah, I like big ugly obnoxious weapons dripping or glowing or pulsating with some obscene, lurid colour, and I'll wear them with pride for as long as I can.

It reminds 'em not to get too close. :twisted:

Slapperfish

Unread post by Slapperfish »

Hate to post in an old thread, but something just occurred to me.

...Come MoP, what will become of ranged throwing weapons?

Melee DPS won't use ranged weapons anymore. And considering Hunters can't use throwing weapons since Cata went live (and couldn't use their ranged abilities with them before that, anyway), we're going to lose a LOT of great models if they aren't re-implemented for Hunter use.

Besides, hunters with throwing weapons make PERFECT sense. Troll Headhunters, eh Blizz? *elbow nedge*
Last edited by Slapperfish on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalliope

Probably going the way of the dodo, since the melee classes won't need them anymore. I'd assume that they could be equipped for cosmetic purposes, anyway.

How often do you actually see a throwing weapon in someone's hand as it is? :)

YouTube Edition

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kalliope wrote:Probably going the way of the dodo, since the melee classes won't need them anymore. I'd assume that they could be equipped for cosmetic purposes, anyway.

How often do you actually see a throwing weapon in someone's hand as it is? :)
Never, now that you mention it.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Hesantia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: The Maelstrom

Unread post by Hesantia »

So, I guess that rogues will no longer need a throwing weapon for their abilities that required them before? Like... fan of knives used those, right? (I am NOT at all updated on rogues :P)

Sig by me ^^

Kalliope

Deadly Throw and the like will just use their regular weapons, as far as I know.

YouTube Edition

Striv
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring//Twisting Nether

Unread post by Striv »

I'm not sure if this has been said, but Blizz said somewhere that we'll be able to equip melee for vanity but nothing else. Which I know some roleplayers are happy about. But this might just be a maybe. Maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. I personally don't care. I thank the Hunter gods that they are finally dropping the melee range. Eat my arrows, warriors.
Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

It has. ;)