Cloud Serpents, possible new pet family?

Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Cloud Serpents, possible new pet family?

Unread post by Qraljar »

Something I have been thinking about ever since screenshots of the cloud serpents were made available, and which I would like to get some opinions on:

Will Cloud Serpents (chinese dragons) be a tamable pet family come MoP?

I myself think they should become a pet family, and that they are surely a viable and plausible choice, especially because they aren't Azerothian Dragons, which have a higher intelligence than the hunters themselves.

One thing that led me to that is that while they're smart, they're still being bred by pandaren and raised to full size Cloud Serpents, which seems to imply that they're less intelligent than normal dragons, that have their own groups and communicate and even take on humanoid guises.

Could this be a reason for hunters to rejoice over the chance of dragon pets?

I sure hope so, it would be -Grrrreat-.

Please share your opinions; "Yes/No, because <...>" or of course in any way you wish!

( I am not completely sure if speculation is allowed in this forum, so I hope in the case that it isn't, that it will get moved to the appropriate forum. :) )
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Cloud Serpents, possible new pet family?

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm not trying to disagree to burst your bubble or anything, but I feel 99.9% sure they will not be tameable. I just feel they're too much of a, well, dragon. No matter how much I wish they would be I honestly cannot even consider the possibility. They don't feel quite right as a hunter pet, or being able to be tameable. I'm not sure. I know none of those are much of an argument, so I suppose you can say it's my gut feeling.

They're gorgeous creatures, but I just can't see them being a hunter pet.
Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Based on the movement of their tails... for technical reasons i'd say even if they are labelled 'beast' they wont be tameable.. that tail has some serious whipping action that goes really far to each side.. plus, even if they arent as sentient as the children of the aspects, the classification of 'dragonkin' is out there and they'll most probably be labelled that. It'd be pretty to have them as pets, but im more then happy to just have them as mounts. Though its sad that it doesnt seem like we'll get the lavender and white one as a mount ._.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

I don't see it happening. Ever. Based in what I've heard, it seems the cloud serpents are intelligent. I don't really see the pandaren as keeping and breeding them, but more as having a relationship and agreed partnership. I mean of course I could be wrong, I'm impatiently waiting for them to update them in the official site bestiary. I find these so fascinating and I can't wait to learn more about them! <3
But yeah, they would also have to label them as beasts and I don't really see that happening. ^^; We're beast tamers, not dragon tamers. Even though dragon tamers would be super super epic. XD

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

TheDoomcookie wrote:I don't see it happening. Ever. Based in what I've heard, it seems the cloud serpents are intelligent. I don't really see the pandaren as keeping and breeding them, but more as having a relationship and agreed partnership. I mean of course I could be wrong, I'm impatiently waiting for them to update them in the official site bestiary. I find these so fascinating and I can't wait to learn more about them! <3
But yeah, they would also have to label them as beasts and I don't really see that happening. ^^; We're beast tamers, not dragon tamers. Even though dragon tamers would be super super epic. XD
*totally imagined a quest line that follows How to Train Your Dragon* Its do-able! Well, making a quest line that follows the movie is.. but again they'd just become mounts over pets..

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Sorry but no. Cloud Serpents are a mount and that was already confirmed.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kyria
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord & Nesingwary

Unread post by Kyria »

There's no reason a confirmed mount can't also be a pet. :) That said, I don't think they will be. I'm in agreement with everyone else that they're just too much like dragons.

Thanks to Vephriel for the beautiful signature! <3
Dragon Cave!

Meggers
Realm: Sargeras US

Unread post by Meggers »

Eh, we haven't had dragon pets so far, I doubt they'll start now.
ImageImage
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Well the mount bit isnt the only reason I say nay to it. Dragons are sentient. We haven't been able to really tame sentient creatures (phoenixes, dragons, Harkoa or any gods, etc). One could argue Spirit Beasts are sentient but if they were, we probably wouldn't have been able to tame them and all of the spirit beasts are that of non-sentient beasts(bears, tigers, owls, etc). For all we know, the spirit beasts are just ghosts of animals passed on or something.

LisaaraPokefarm

Bangeall
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by Bangeall »

I agree that they are most likely going to be dragonkin, but it does not stop me wanting one with all my little hunter heart. :cry: They have such amazing models, but I would be letting myself in for a major disappointment if I let myself believe that these will be tameable beasts, and it is probably a good idea to dismiss the notion from one's mind.
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

It would be nice to have a dragon-ish pet that actually looks like a full dragon. The closest we have are the Dragonhawks and Chromaggus.

Maybe some dragons that have been completely degenerated into beasts, no longer intelligent or magical or whatever it is makes them special, they're just like the other animals running around. Make them a "Fallen Dragon" beast class that has Faerie dragons, Mana Wyrms, Whelps of the Dragons and Proto-drakes, and small Cloud Serpents as tamable.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Ellaran wrote:It would be nice to have a dragon-ish pet that actually looks like a full dragon. The closest we have are the Dragonhawks and Chromaggus.
Warp Stalkers feel pretty dragonish to me. :)
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Vephriel wrote:
Ellaran wrote:It would be nice to have a dragon-ish pet that actually looks like a full dragon. The closest we have are the Dragonhawks and Chromaggus.
Exactly this. And then we'll most likely get dragon turtles so that's another dragon-ish pet (not a full dragon but they sure do resemble them in the face!)

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Indeed. We still got some that, while not full on dragons, are still draconic in appearance. Chromaggus, Dragonhawk, Wind Serpents, Warp Stalkers, Dragon Turtles...heck even Terrorpene gives me a draconic vibe personally.

LisaaraPokefarm

SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I would like for this to happen but i will not get my hopes up. I can see this as somthing they could do but probably not somthing they will do. I would like a chinese dragon though they look amazing. :3

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Vephriel wrote:
My warpstalker, Dragon, agrees ;)
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

As amazing as these would be as pets, I seriously doubt it'll happen. I'm sure they'll be labelled as dragonkin and dragons are considered too intelligent by lore to be made a hunter's pet. A lot of them are willing to serve you as a mount, however. See the Netherwing questline. However, yes, just because they're mounts doesn't mean they can't be pets too. We can always hope and see what happens.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Rower
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Rower »

Caelan wrote:There's no reason a confirmed mount can't also be a pet. :) That said, I don't think they will be. I'm in agreement with everyone else that they're just too much like dragons.
Yeah, beside of drakes I think all other animal-mount types are also pet families. Maybe not the exact same model, but recolour/very similar. But they feel too awesome for being tamable.
Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

Eziwolf wrote:But they feel too awesome for being tamable.
Lol that's kind of how I feel about that shiny cat God model that people want to be a spirit beast. I would like it as a spirit beast too but it does look too 'awesome'.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Loque looks 'too awesome' too tho.... i nearly died when i saw the model and then we suddenly got confirmation it was to be the model for our very first spirit beast