My new blue-eyed handsome man (with pics)

Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

My new blue-eyed handsome man (with pics)

Unread post by Rhyela »

I knew I wanted to adopt another cat at some point, but I wasn't planning on getting one so soon after giving my doggy up for adoption (I still miss her). This weekend, I went to some shelters with the intention to only look and see what I might want. Yesterday, my husband and I went to a local humane society, and there was a handsome male cat named Bugatti, and I would have been interested in him except that someone was filling out an adoption form for him, so I passed him by. We went to a Petsmart after that, since they often have adoptables from various shelters, and saw a couple of nice cats but none that really pulled me.

Today, my brother and I went to another shelter that's cage-free. It's nice to see how the cats interact with one another, but sadly, about half of the cats there (maybe more than that) were very sick-looking. Most had snot coming out of their noses, runny/crusty eyes...one was even scooting its butt across the floor. I have a cat at home, so I didn't want to get one from there and bring back some disease that would infect her, too. They rescue feral cats, so I can understand why they seem so sick. If I didn't already have a cat at home, I might have taken one of those, but I didn't want to risk it. I thanked the people for their time and said I was going to continue looking at some other places.

I went home after that to change clothes and wash my neck, hands and arms, because I was wanting to go to one more shelter and I didn't want to get any of those kitties sick. We still had enough time, so for some reason, I decided to go back to the humane society. I had already seen every cat, and didn't think there were any I wanted, so I'm not sure what caused me to go back.

I took a couple cats out of their cages, ones that I had just petted yesterday. One was a very sweet male named Jerry. He was very calm and was content to just lay beside me, but he seemed hesitant to sit in my lap, and he shedded like crazy. I know this is shedding season, but I was literally coated in white fur after picking him up. It was quite excessive. I kept him in mind, and continued on. I took another one named Roger Dodger into their "Get Acquainted" room, but he didn't seem as interested in me as he did in everything else going on. I was looking for a cat that's more laid-back and doesn't mind being picked up, and one that would sit in my lap. I needed it to be a male so that my female cat would (theoretically) have an easier time accepting him. I took out yet another one named Rainbow, but I could only hold him for a couple seconds before he started scrambling about.

Then, I passed by Bugatti's cage and surprisingly, he was still there and it didn't say he was on hold for anyone. I thought for sure the lady from yesterday had adopted him. She must have changed her mind (I don't know why). He meowed deeply at me (he's quite the talker, which I like), and I opened his cage and petted him. He was so loving! I took him out of his cage, and surprisingly, he was perfectly fine just sitting there in my arms. I sat down on a stool, expecting him to get restless and want to wander, but he laid there on my lap, happy as could be. I put him back to go look at some other cats, but I kept thinking about him.

After looking at other cats and not finding any I wanted, I went back to his cage again and took him out once more, and went to the "Get Acquainted" room. At first, he was interested in some dry grass stuff laying on the floor, but eventually he jumped back up onto the bench and curled up in my lap. Then he extended his forelegs and put his paws on my shoulder. I kissed him and knew I was in love. I decided finally to put him on hold until tomorrow so I could think about it. There was one more shelter I wanted to check out, after all, and I had emailed them and told them I was coming. There was even a specific cat I was interested in named Copper. The only problem was that Copper was declawed, and I wanted a cat with claws. I know that probably sounds crazy to many people in America (since declawing is so common here), but I wanted a cat that wouldn't have a chance of developing problems down the road from not having its tippy-toes. I won't declaw my other kitty, either.

But, my brother was like, "Why bother going there if you know you like Bugatti?" I just felt guilty because I had emailed the other shelter and told them I was going to stop by, and I didn't want to go back on that (I try too hard to please people). But, I finally relented and filled out an adoption form (doesn't matter where the cat's from, I'm saving a life after all!). About fifteen minutes later, Bugatti was mine. And not a moment too soon, either. When I went back to get him to put him in his carrier, there was another family interested in him and asking a volunteer about him. I was thinking, "He's MINE!" as the volunteer handed him to me and I kissed his head again. Hehe! ^_^ So it's a good thing I got him when I did because another few minutes and he might have been snatched up by someone else.

He's the prettiest cat I've ever seen (I could be biased, teehee). He looks to be mixed with some siamese. Probably not 50%, since he's not quite as lean as a siamese, but maybe a grandparent or great-grandparent was siamese. Anyway, he's this light tan color with a frosted look, and he has the most gorgeous blue eyes. He has some tabby markings, too, but without the usual spots and stripes.

I got him home and let him out of his carrier. He sniffed around for a while, then walked over to me and laid down beside me. Once he was relaxed enough, he crawled up into my lap and rubbed his face against mine. :3 I had prayed for the perfect kitty, and it seems my prayers were answered. It was like it was meant to be.

Our current kitty was hissing at him from under the door. He didn't seem phased at all. I took his carrier and put it in the hallway for her to smell. At first she kept hissing at the box, but eventually she climbed inside and was sniffing it. I think given enough time, she'll accept him. She's a little queen kitty, but she is also surprisingly patient. I know introducing cats properly takes time and patience, and I'm more than happy to give them all the time they need if it means a better relationship in the long run.

Anyhoo, pictures!!! Most of them didn't come out very well (they're blurry because I didn't want to use the flash and blind him). I couldn't get him to look at the camera for very long. :P I don't think I'm going to keep the name Bugatti (I don't want him named after a car brand, even if it is a fancy high-end one), but I can't think of anything else at the moment. I love him so much already! :3

Edit: I just sat down on the floor with him and he crawled into my lap again. Then, I laid down on the floor, and he laid on my chest and stomach, purring. <3 He's so perfect for me!

Attachments
Blue Eyes 2.jpg
Blue Eyes 2.jpg (543.36 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
Blue Eyes.jpg
Blue Eyes.jpg (520.13 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
Bugatti 2.jpg
Bugatti 2.jpg (590.82 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
Bugatti 1.jpg
Bugatti 1.jpg (566.81 KiB) Viewed 3427 times

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: My new blue-eyed handsome man (with pics)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

You could call him Lovebug!
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

:lol: I was looking at some "blue" names and the name Sky jumped out at me. I think I'm going to change his name to Skye. It looks like for humans, Skye is often a girls' name, though I have seen it as a boys' name, too. However, the cat name websites I've looked at say it is a male name. So, I think I'm going to go with it. :D

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

Oh he's gorgeous c:

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Hes pretty! You could always call him Skyler :) I guess it sounds more masculine.

Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

He's a gorgeous boy, not really seeing the Siamese at all, there are several different breeds that posses the pointed look that are thicker bodied. ;) He looks like a good ol' moggie.

And thank you too for saving a life :3

As a side note, it's not uncommon for shelter cats to shed a lot due to stress. So that could've been a cause.
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

He's very pretty :3
Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Dakonic wrote:He's a gorgeous boy, not really seeing the Siamese at all, there are several different breeds that posses the pointed look that are thicker bodied. ;) He looks like a good ol' moggie.

And thank you too for saving a life :3

As a side note, it's not uncommon for shelter cats to shed a lot due to stress. So that could've been a cause.
What's a moggie? And no need to thank me for saving a life, it was my pleasure to do so. ^_^ Cats in shelters are so loving and just want a good home. I hate seeing them all in there. I wish I could take them all home. :(

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

And the pound/shelter is alot cheaper than breeders/pet stores. (well here anyway)

A moggie is like the cat version of a mutt for dogs. Just baiscly your common everyday cat thats a mix of alot of things.
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

He is very pretty :3 And while I do see the siamese, I also think it looks like the tabby stripes and spots that aren't there have been washed away xD

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Dakonic »

Moggies aren't a mix of a lot of things, moggie is what you call a cat that doesn't display very obvious traits of one breed. So if you're going "it could be this, or this, maybe some of this" then you'd label them a "moggie". My boy is a moggie, my friend went out to feed her horses and found a surprise. A feral cat had kittens in her trash.

The name popped up because truthfully you cannot tell a mix just from looking (unless as mentioned it's extremely obvious), so it's a loving easy thing to say instead of saying. "Well I'm not sure he could be all these things."
Image Image Image Image
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

"Cats of unrecorded mixed ancestry are referred to as domestic longhairs and domestic shorthairs or commonly as random-bred, moggies, mongrels, or mutt-cats." So yes a cat that is a mix of random breeds that no one knows what are moggies. My statement was correct just like yours.
Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Dakonic »

That's basically what I said.

I just clarified that it doesn't have to be mixed with a lot of things.
Image Image Image Image
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

haha I got confusesd.
Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Dakonic »

xD it's fine :3 I'm just very literal I guess you could say. A blessing and a curse.
Image Image Image Image
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Last edited by Teigan on Fri May 25, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

I just noticed in the last picture, I spy you! In the mirror! :lol:

Rhyela

Unread post by Rhyela »

Yes, me and my wind rider cub plushie up on my computer tower. XD

Thank you for the moggie explanation, I had never heard that before. He definitely isn't siamese in build or temperament (I've heard siamese can be testy, but maybe that's not true), the blue eyes just made the shelter think he was part siamese. I don't really care what he is, I love him to bits. :D

And thank you for the compliments! That's neat that he looks like your childhood cat. :3 Blue eyes and everything?

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

He's gorgeous Rhylea!

I love the name Bugatti!! I do have a bias opinion in a sense in that I love exotic sports cars. Bugatti builds some of the fastest street cars in the world. Their engines PURRR with power. They're sleek and gorgeous. Think that matches your new kitty to a T. :mrgreen:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Unread post by Finduilas »

I love your new kitty. These eyes are to die for on a cat. And yay for adopting a shelter cat. We have both our cats from shelters and I sooo would have loved to adopt all - I perfectly understand you.
Here in Germany these cats where you don't know the races are called "European house cat" (not meaning they live in a house but are domesticated and not the european wild cat). Both my kitties are european house cats, and look totally different.

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables