FROM GHOSTCRAWLER HIMSELF

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Re: FROM GHOSTCRAWLER HIMSELF

Unread post by Maizou »

I can't be the only one hoping for a Porcupine family with the racial skill of Spike Shower or something, right? >_> Like, using the new volley animation we never got back. ;D

Then add a pest family for water striders, beavers, and armadillos. :3
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Pets abilities dont damage the enemy, they just add different debuffs to it so we wont be seeing any damaging attacks from anyone.. i know some abilities did do damage but its been changed for a long time now.. why they have it like that i dont know, but unfortunately it is :<

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Xakaal wrote:Pets abilities dont damage the enemy, they just add different debuffs to it so we wont be seeing any damaging attacks from anyone.. i know some abilities did do damage but its been changed for a long time now.. why they have it like that i dont know, but unfortunately it is :<
It's much easier to balance pet buffs/debuffs rather than differing methods of damaging enemies. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Holgarr
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US - Alliance

Unread post by Holgarr »

Ellaran wrote:I'd go with an ability that uses their spines. Reduced chance to hit because of being distracted by being stuck full of spines, reduced movement speed because of spines, reduced armor from the spines piercing and weakening it.

Or have the spines do damage to anything that physically hits the porcupine, a permanent Thorns Aura for the little rodent. Be an extra help for a tanking porcupine.
I approve of this. :headbang:
Image Image
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

For Kalli. :P

(the blue one is my porcupine, Koala. :lol:)
Last edited by Miacoda on Sat May 12, 2012 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Kalliope

Heeeeeee! <3 :lol:

YouTube Edition

Maizou
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Proudmoore

Unread post by Maizou »

Xakaal wrote:Pets abilities dont damage the enemy, they just add different debuffs to it so we wont be seeing any damaging attacks from anyone.. i know some abilities did do damage but its been changed for a long time now.. why they have it like that i dont know, but unfortunately it is :<
http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=93433
http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=92380

Would like a word with you.

There are indeed a few pets with AoE skills. There are no more with single target damage, but Chimaera and Worms still retain their AoE moves.

I think Porcupines would be a perfect third pet for that slot.

This is exactly why I expect to see a TON of worms and silkworms once Mists launches. Ferocity Beast Mastery Pet with a decent AoE?

It hits decently even as Tenacity currently.
Kalliope

Myzou wrote:

Would like a word with you.

There are indeed a few pets with AoE skills. There are no more with single target damage, but Chimaera and Worms still retain their AoE moves.

I think Porcupines would be a perfect third pet for that slot.

This is exactly why I expect to see a TON of worms and silkworms once Mists launches. Ferocity Beast Mastery Pet with a decent AoE?

It hits decently even as Tenacity currently.
When you put it that way, I NOMINATE QUILLSTORM.

;)

YouTube Edition

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Chimaera and Worms have their AoE skills as their Exotic ability.

So to clarify, there are no non-Exotic pets with damage-dealing special abilities. And I'm not sure I can see these guys becoming Exotics...
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Kalliope

Ziarre wrote:Chimaera and Worms have their AoE skills as their Exotic ability.

So to clarify, there are no non-Exotic pets with damage-dealing special abilities. And I'm not sure I can see these guys becoming Exotics...
Right, I forgot they'd have to be exotic.

I REVOKE QUILLSTORM AS AN EXOTIC ABILITY. *hugs boarcupine*

(But darnit...that would have been convenient placement.)

YouTube Edition

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Myzou wrote:
Sorry, i shoulda worded it better, i was implying self cast spells. These require you to press a button ^^

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Kalliope wrote:
It would, but damnit, as long as they can make them do that spinny thing in combat, even if it's not a special damage type, I think everyone will be thrilled :) I've seen wild ones do it (er wild in the game not irl... I haven't taken acid) so I was hoping the tamed ones would too.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

No I've seen RL wild ones do that......... We have odd ones here in NZ.
Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

porcupines cant throw their quills but they do thrash around i believe to try and penetrate the body of the attacker

Kalliope

Wain wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
It would, but damnit, as long as they can make them do that spinny thing in combat, even if it's not a special damage type, I think everyone will be thrilled :) I've seen wild ones do it (er wild in the game not irl... I haven't taken acid) so I was hoping the tamed ones would too.
Agreed! ^_^

YouTube Edition

Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Kikanu »

Here's my solution to the ability dilemma;

Tenacity (normal taming)
Ability: Quill Storm (as it seems to be a popular name)
Effect: The Porcupine begins spinning and flaunting its quills, causing attackers to take x% damage dealt by each attack, up to a range of 10 yards away from the Porcupine. Lasts 10 seconds. Generates extra threat to ranged opponents.

So, it'd be like a mix of a Druid's Thorns and a Warrior's (live) Retaliation, with an added threat bonus to help hold aggro with it. Ranged enemies would be upset that it's still making them mad at a distance, when they're normally a cuddly little fluffnugget that's brushing painfully and violently against the ankles of your foes.
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Real porcupines cannot throw or shoot their quills. However, the quills are set quite lightly in the skin, so that even a light brush can dislodge them. The spines are covered with backwards-pointing barbs that work the quill deeper into the flesh, sometimes penetrating into the vital areas of the target was struck in that area. There's also a good chance of infection, as the quills' barbs can house dirt and bacteria.

The two look-a-like mammals, hedgehogs and echidnas, have spines that are set firmly into the skin and flesh and smooth, so they don't detach.

And now, after that nightmare-inducing infodump, a hedgehog in a bathtub: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXjPQYgT25Q

Chimera

Unread post by Chimera »

Ellaran wrote:Real porcupines cannot throw or shoot their quills. However, the quills are set quite lightly in the skin, so that even a light brush can dislodge them. The spines are covered with backwards-pointing barbs that work the quill deeper into the flesh, sometimes penetrating into the vital areas of the target was struck in that area. There's also a good chance of infection, as the quills' barbs can house dirt and bacteria.
North American porcupines have the barbs but old world African ones dont. But yea the north american porcupines quills move further into the body and can definitely cause death from infection ^^ that hedgehog is so cuuute <3 ive handled wild african hedgehogs, they are really nasty frickers, im dying to meet a hedgehog that doesnt try to stab me with a quill or hiccup itself to exhaustion when you try to handle it or even just walk by its cage when its trying to eat or drink

Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Kikanu wrote: Effect: The Porcupine begins spinning and flaunting its quills, causing attackers to take x% damage dealt by each attack, up to a range of 10 yards away from the Porcupine. Lasts 10 seconds. Generates extra threat to ranged opponents.
Way, *WAAAYYYYYY* too powerful an ability here. For one, this would make porcupines the go-to for tanking, the same way that gorillas were in the old days. For another, the damage would *also* make them the go-to for DPS. Something Blizzard wants to avoid!

Having a 'quillstorm' sort of thing wouldn't be bad for an exotic ability, although this suggestion, to me, sounds too powerful for it. And besides, if it were exotic, that would mean no porcupines for other people!

How about: QUILLSTORM: The porcupine rolls into a ball, guarding itself with its quills. Decrease all damage taken to the porcupine by 50%.

Another defensive pet for those who don't want turtles or beetles, that way.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Xakaal wrote:
Ellaran wrote:Real porcupines cannot throw or shoot their quills. However, the quills are set quite lightly in the skin, so that even a light brush can dislodge them. The spines are covered with backwards-pointing barbs that work the quill deeper into the flesh, sometimes penetrating into the vital areas of the target was struck in that area. There's also a good chance of infection, as the quills' barbs can house dirt and bacteria.
North American porcupines have the barbs but old world African ones dont. But yea the north american porcupines quills move further into the body and can definitely cause death from infection ^^ that hedgehog is so cuuute <3 ive handled wild african hedgehogs, they are really nasty frickers, im dying to meet a hedgehog that doesnt try to stab me with a quill or hiccup itself to exhaustion when you try to handle it or even just walk by its cage when its trying to eat or drink

pffft WoW porcupines can if they want too. Theres no rules saying they have to be like rl ones :P

So many hedgehogs drown in our pool it's madness I don't even know how they get in we have a cover :lol: Ah well they are pests after all.