Sentient pets... an idea

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Slickrock »

So, there was some discussion in the polls regarding Gryphons and Wyrns being "too" sentient to be able to tame them. And we've heard the arguments here before about dragonkin in their various forms.

But having some members of these phylum be "tameable" would open up a lot of new options for hunters.

So..

How about an questline training that would allow you to "bond" with a an appropriate dragonkin or other semi-sentient creature, that's a higher level of relationship than our current taming of pets? While this wouldn't work for Malygos, it should work for proto-drakes, fey-dragons, and others. Perhaps these "pets" would require a higher level of maintenance.

Or another idea..

Perhaps you build the relationship with this creature so you can call on them once every hour or so to assist you (or whatever the appropriate cooldown would be).
Account has been closed at user's request.
User avatar
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 17426
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Realm: Moon Guard
Gender: Genderfluid
Location: US
Contact:

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'd rather not tame any sentient beings. It's slavery.

Image
Lisaara ღ Pokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Slickrock »

Jessibelle wrote:I'd rather not tame any sentient beings. It's slavery.
The question is, where do we draw the line on sentience? I don't think you can, unless you use some specific criteria (spoken language, use of tools, etc.)

But what I am proposing I think would be above the basic taming that you see as slavery. It would much more be bonding.
Account has been closed at user's request.
User avatar
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Posts: 2123
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:21 pm
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU
Gender: Male

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Qraljar »

Jessibelle wrote:I'd rather not tame any sentient beings. It's slavery.

I ehh.. what? He/she stated that it would be like bonding in that case. Slavery is something without own consent or will.

While it'd be nice, I wouldn't fuss over it. I also think there's not much chance of it ever happening, but that doesn't change that the idea is nice. :)
Image
Kunchong for hunter pets!


Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
User avatar
Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2208
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 pm
Realm: Staghelm
Gender: Nonbinary
Location: Salem
Contact:

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Arthur »

It's a very nice thought, I love the idea of befriending a dragon. It's been one of my dreams since I started playing. I don't view Hunter pets as slaves or animals - they are my friends, and also my equals.

I understand it probably won't happen, but I'd be really happy if it did someday.

Image☆ mounts - pets - armory ☆Image

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

User avatar
Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:12 pm
Realm: Azuremyst/Staghelm
Gender: Female
Location: OH, USA
Contact:

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Suicune »

Tygard wrote:It's a very nice thought, I love the idea of befriending a dragon. It's been one of my dreams since I started playing. I don't view Hunter pets as slaves or animals - they are my friends, and also my equals.

I understand it probably won't happen, but I'd be really happy if it did someday.
Exactly this :)
https://worldofwarcraft.blizzard.com/e ... st/suicune <-Main.

The Dark Swarm is always looking for new faces! (Alliance/ Azuremyst based, cross- faction & cross- server friendly!)

https://www.soultempestcreations.com/
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Posts: 401
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: Male
Location: Lost Isles

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Albain »

We already tame raptors.

Raptors, who are smart enough to build huts and make and wear their own jewelry..

Granted this is mostly Kalimdor raptors, Eastern Kingdom raptors don't seem to do the same and Outland raptors seem dumb as bricks, but Kalimdor's, even before Cata added Subject Nine's (nine? 5?) quests in, had quests questioning and demonstrating raptor intelligence as being at least on the murloc level.

And murlocs have their own language and /can/ cooperate with other beings just fine. Winterfin, the ones in Blasted Lands..

I ride around on a lot of drakes, which are just adolescent dragons. I'd put them into battle if I could. My hunter doesn't have slaves for pets - slaves can't be trusted. He needs to rely on all his pets as if they were flesh and blood brothers and sisters, because his life depends on theirs. And their lives DON'T depend on him, they lived in the wild without him just fine. He can't, without their aid.

Warlocks and death knights more likely have slaves than hunters. Warlocks even have talents - or used to - that sacrifice their pet for their own survival or just power. Death knights still do. Hunters are far more symbiotic with their pets.. calling it slavery does the class injustice.

I'd love to, on that note, tame wyverns or griffins. Or dragons. Dwarves would be great with griffins. Nelf hunters with their steadfast friend hippogryff, etc..
User avatar
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 6722
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:00 pm
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Slickrock wrote:How about an quest line that would allow you to "bond" with a an appropriate dragon kin.

Perhaps you build the relationship with this creature so you can call on them once every hour or so to assist you (or whatever the appropriate cool-down would be).
Rhea's Last Egg
Image
User avatar
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:07 am
Realm: Altar of storms
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Akyo »

Personaly im not buying that for the gryphons and wyerns.
For me they dont seem anny more sentient than our dear sabre cats, wolfs/worgs and raptors. And they have been mounts, pets and minipets for a long long time now.
I belive there is more quests where we talk to inteligent wolves(or hear stories about named wolves) than there is quests involving inteligent gryphons and wyerns.

I personlay feel its a more of a "we just doesnt feel hunters should tame it" than "oh its a special kind of animal, thus makes no sence" deal.

For the idea. Im not all sure. It does sound like something EVERYONE would/should be able to do as it seem similar to the frost sabre/raptor mount system.
Hunters are the masters of bonding with beasts, so i just dont see why they suddenly would have to do it differently with some other Beast, maybe lesser dragonkins( i want my mana serpent blizzard) but not other beasts. Though once tamed it should stay with your side constantly(like anny other hunter pet) and not once an hour or so.
If that was the case it would rather be a skill with long cd than a actual pet taking up a stable slot. But then again taht wouldnt feel like a pet.

Image

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Slickrock »

Albain wrote:We already tame raptors.

Raptors, who are smart enough to build huts and make and wear their own jewelry..


Granted this is mostly Kalimdor raptors, Eastern Kingdom raptors don't seem to do the same and Outland raptors seem dumb as bricks, but Kalimdor's, even before Cata added Subject Nine's (nine? 5?) quests in, had quests questioning and demonstrating raptor intelligence as being at least on the murloc level.

And murlocs have their own language and /can/ cooperate with other beings just fine. Winterfin, the ones in Blasted Lands..

I ride around on a lot of drakes, which are just adolescent dragons. I'd put them into battle if I could. My hunter doesn't have slaves for pets - slaves can't be trusted. He needs to rely on all his pets as if they were flesh and blood brothers and sisters, because his life depends on theirs. And their lives DON'T depend on him, they lived in the wild without him just fine. He can't, without their aid.

Warlocks and death knights more likely have slaves than hunters. Warlocks even have talents - or used to - that sacrifice their pet for their own survival or just power. Death knights still do. Hunters are far more symbiotic with their pets.. calling it slavery does the class injustice.

I'd love to, on that note, tame wyverns or griffins. Or dragons. Dwarves would be great with griffins. Nelf hunters with their steadfast friend hippogryff, etc..
This.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3200
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Slickrock »

And not to mention I don't buy the "slavery" argument when it's used on beasts that we can't tame for being sentient, but can slaughter by the thousands for skinning AND cooking. If we can't tame for that reason, we shouldn't be able to skin and cook them either.
Account has been closed at user's request.
User avatar
Firesighn
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Firesighn »

I don't view any of my pets as slaves, and when I think of "taming" I feel more like Ash Ketchum, I guess, because these pets are only coming with me if they want to. I don't go around throwing pokeballs or using some kind of magic to coerce these animals into following me around. Each of my pets has their own personality and preferences. Kal talks to his pets, and doesn't ever actually refer to them as pets. And, sue me, I go with having the actual Kri and Huhuran following me around. I don't RP with anyone but my own brain so it doesn't really matter. But Kal has actual conversations with them, even if everyone else is left wondering WTH all of the clicking and screeching is. His pets work more like a pack, and they can communicate well enough to function like any pack of wolves or pride of lions or what-have-you. I have a team.
User avatar
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 14063
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:40 am
Realm: Dethecus
Location: Thedas
Contact:

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Kalliope »

GormanGhaste wrote:
Slickrock wrote:How about an quest line that would allow you to "bond" with a an appropriate dragon kin.

Perhaps you build the relationship with this creature so you can call on them once every hour or so to assist you (or whatever the appropriate cool-down would be).
Rhea's Last Egg
I loved that zone's culmination.

Image
Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:03 pm
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance
Gender: Female foxen
Location: I am "here" or so the directory tells me.
Contact:

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Makoes »

I always try to refer to our companions as "partner".

As much as I would love some sort of quest or something to allow me to befriend some of these "sentient" species...I know it wont happen since Blizz has already pretty much scrapped any quest that made classes unique.

However, I wouldnt mind the "exotic" ability becoming a core BM ability and the ability to tame certain unique species added as the 31 point talent (or in MoP case, lv 90 tier choice)


(besides, how is using these creatures already as beasts of burden and mounts any better then slavery? I've yet to strike up a conversation with my Gryphon as we fly over the land, and my drake certainly hasnt said a peep since I aquired it...heck I'd never even come across a talking fey-dragon till Cata Hyjal...Lore-wise they might be intellegent, but game wise they really dont much to bring it to light...Flight paths are a great example)

Image

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

User avatar
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 3011
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:56 am
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)
Gender: Dood

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Quiv »

I wouldn't be surprised if Spirit Beasts are sentient.
Albain
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Posts: 401
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 pm
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: Male
Location: Lost Isles

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Albain »

Makoes wrote: (besides, how is using these creatures already as beasts of burden and mounts any better then slavery? I've yet to strike up a conversation with my Gryphon as we fly over the land, and my drake certainly hasnt said a peep since I aquired it...heck I'd never even come across a talking fey-dragon till Cata Hyjal...Lore-wise they might be intellegent, but game wise they really dont much to bring it to light...Flight paths are a great example)

I don't know that I could call it slavery. Look at the teeth and claws on all the stuff we ride around on. Look how far from safety we usually are when on them. If they really didn't want us there... we wouldn't be. Either eaten ... or thrown off while a mile off the ground. Nothing's keeping the flightpath critters where they are. No chains, no ropes. Nothing. For an ingame explanation for OOC mechanics.. we go places because those animals, intelligent or otherwise, /allow/ us to.

Kinda scary when you think about it. 8D What happens if they decide they don't want to deal with you.
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:03 pm
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance
Gender: Female foxen
Location: I am "here" or so the directory tells me.
Contact:

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Makoes »

Ahh, but I didnt call it slavery, I asked how it was any better THEN slavery ;)

But what I am refering to the most is the Applied events...our mounts reguardless of spieces only come when we call them.
If Wyverns can speak orc, why dont we see the Flight master and the Wyvern conversing? Anyone can make the argument that some creatures are "to" sentient, however until Blizz actually starts applying this in-game, its a hyopthetical argument. (well, as hypothetical as a virtual game can be). besides out of game sources and in-game sources are so damn conflicting...its pretty much a free for all now.

Personally myself, I can see how some things like flappy gryphons, wyverns, or drakes would be more of a problem, but its more a visual issue then anything.

But I do like the idea of something happening to allow us [hunters] to tame certain otherwise untamable beasts.

Image

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 14480
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)
Gender: Female playing both genders
Location: WoW

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Jessibelle wrote:I'd rather not tame any sentient beings. It's slavery.
I'm not necessarily for or against the idea, but this argument right here against it is just silly. This is World of Warcraft where on a daily basis we see in game slavery (trolls and goblins come to mind), genocide, homicide, etc etc. We're not playing a dainty little game where slavery doesn't already happen, and our characters don't commit more atrocious acts.

Not to mention, the idea proposed said nothing about enslaving the creatures and specifically said that the hunter would be forming a type of bond with the creature, more akin to earning its trust then forcing its hand. Which, in reality, is no different then the very way most of us hunters on these boards view our pixel pets currently.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Turgus
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:08 am
Realm: Ravencrest

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Turgus »

Sentience is a product of intelligence and runs on a spectrum.
This is obvious in the real world, and is evident in the WoW universe as well.

I view hunter pets as pets in real life.
Some people treat their pets like an equal, some treat them like a piece of furniture or worse.
Like this there will be hunters that view their pet as a tool, like a bow or a gun, that they carry around with them until they need it for something and others will view it as a friend and companion that shares in their adventures.

Because of this viewpoint I have no problem with hunters creating a bond of friendship with any beast, dragonkin, or race for that matter.
However my hunter running around with a tauren companion might be a bit .... off...
(Snickers at the thought of my goblin riding around on the shoulders of a tauren warrior)

I guess for this reason Blizzard has made some decisions about what "we" can and cannot tame.
What method they are using to determine what can and cannot tame is a mystery, as has been pointed out previously, raptors are intelligent, create structures, tools and jewelry, so "sentience" apparently is not the deciding factor, or raptors are the exception.

My musings on the matter....
User avatar
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:06 pm
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US
Gender: Female
Location: Right behind you...

Re: Sentient pets... an idea

Unread post by Ziarre »

While an interesting idea, I doubt we'll see a class quest of this type. Blizzard removed those, and the closest thing you get to a class quest anymore is something that gives you a piece of armor (or weapon) at...20 and 50, wasn't it? I'm neutral on the removal of them, for the record - mostly because I already have Rhok'delar (yes, I'm awful).
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Locked