Items and Their Namesakes

Loronar
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Eredar US

Items and Their Namesakes

Unread post by Loronar »

With a fair amount of items now present in the Mists database, named weapons and armor with other interesting descriptions are starting to appear. Many of these are references to real world things of Asian origin, so this is a list of identifiable items with their likely namesakes.

When I said hunter gear, I really meant "hunter gear", which of course means any and all gear!

Armor
  • Dagger of the Seven Stars (The Stone Guard, Mogu'Shan Vaults): Big Dipper, also called "Seven Stars of the Northern Dipper" in oriental cultures, "Seven Great Sages" in Hindu astronomy, and "Seven Gods" in Mongolia.
  • Subetai's Pillaging Leggings (The Spirit Kings, Mogu'Shan Vaults): Subutai, Mongol general who led successful campaigns under Genghis Khan and Ogedei Khan. Mongols are well-known horseback riders who are skilled in the bow and arrow and often hunt for food because they are nomads.
  • Terracotta Fragment (Jonn-Dar, Valley of the Four Winds): Terracotta Army, a collection of terracotta sculptures depicting the armies of Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China.
Weapons
Quest Items
Other
Unidentified, of note
I will add to the list if I figure out more. If you think you've identified something, let me know, and I will update the list as well.
Last edited by Loronar on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am blogging from 35 yards out, where the view is always better.
Loronar (US-Eredar, Alliance)

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Re: Items and Their Namesakes

Unread post by Wain »

Very interesting! Thanks :) This could be a good thread :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I love bubble tea! I can totally see my character spending way too much gold at the local tea shop :)
Loronar
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Eredar US

Unread post by Loronar »

I wish they pushed beta through the other regions at the same time. It would be a lot easier to find connections through the Chinese names of these items.

I am blogging from 35 yards out, where the view is always better.
Loronar (US-Eredar, Alliance)