Should Blizzard consolidate some of Hunter's abilities

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Should Blizzard consolidate some of Hunter's abilities

Unread post by pop »

What are your views on the current implementation of Hunter's abilities? Do you think there should be some sort of consolidation made to some of our abilities or glyphs?

I've read far too many times of the idea of combining Widow Venom and Serpent Sting into a single skill and I feel indifferent about it. I can see the wisdom Blizzard of having both Tranquil Shot and Widow Venom to be a separate non-damaging spell as I can it can be used to un'buff' and debuff 'cc'ed mobs or players.

However, I also see the benefit of making Widow Venom mechanic's a part of Serpent Sting's because this would reduce cd time and it can give Devilsaur a chance of having a 'fear' type skill, which I think is a more appropriate for that family.

I love the idea of some of the current Glyphs to be made available to Hunters instead of needing them to be Glyphed. For example, the 'Glyph of Mend Pet'; Gives your Mend Pet ability a 50% chance of cleansing 1 Curse, Disease, Magic or Poison effect from your pet each tick. With 5.1 nerfing of bw, I think BM hunter would more than ever need to save their glyph slot for BW Glyph, and Glyph of Mend Pet can be a prime candidate of this consolidation. Besides, there is already a Glyph for mend pet which is to adds a bonus of 60%.

I also think that hunter should need to have glyph just for the sake of removing dots if we are going to use Ice Trap and Scatter Shot as I am certain all of the other classes don't need so.

What are your thoughts on the current Hunter's abilities and glyphs?
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Should Blizzard consolidate some of Hunter's abilities

Unread post by Kalliope »

pop wrote:I also think that hunter should need to have glyph just for the sake of removing dots if we are going to use Ice Trap and Scatter Shot as I am certain all of the other classes don't need so.
Untrue.

Polymorph
Blind

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Kalliope wrote:
pop wrote:I also think that hunter should need to have glyph just for the sake of removing dots if we are going to use Ice Trap and Scatter Shot as I am certain all of the other classes don't need so.
Untrue.

Polymorph
Blind
good to know.

What do you think of Widow Venom and Tranq?
Kalliope

I'm not too keen on it. Tranq Shot is a choice; sticking anything else on it makes the dispel mechanic too much of a passive, like when it was on arcane shot (which was ridiculous).

I've macroed fervor and widow venom together for PvP purposes myself.

YouTube Edition

Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

putting in an ablity with Tranq shot to apply widows venom if it removes a healing effect prehaps could work.
Kalliope

Tankperson wrote:putting in an ablity with Tranq shot to apply widows venom if it removes a healing effect prehaps could work.
That'd be too niche, IMO, especially since we also dispel buffs and enrage effects. Either it's one or the other.

I still remember the days of multiple Sting shots; I'm a little glad that we don't have to swap serpent and widow, though that could also be a solution if widow venom did its healing debuff with partial damage. Not really worth it, though.

YouTube Edition

Derax
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Area 52 - US

Unread post by Derax »

Think with fox being removed , I think Hawk should jsut be removed and turned to passive I see no point as every hunter is going to always be in hawk. Cheetah and pack should just be combined.

As far as the others not really sure I haven't pvp'd in a while.

Deraxacus - Area 52 (US) (Horde)

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I would be against combining Serpent and Widow venom mainly because Serpent pretty much stays up all the time and the combination would just be too OP. The thing I wish they would get rid of is on use trinkets. The only one that makes sense is the PvP one to remove CC effects. Any other ones just needlessly give us yet another button to push, if we can even find room for it in our action bars.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

I second Danielf's opinion.

I HATE on-use trinks. I never have room for the icon, and yes, either you just macro it to BW or whatever (which almost qualifies as an 'auto proc'), or you have to take time out to utilize the bloody thing. And get really annoyed when the boss decides to randomly do something that nullifies it five seconds after you trigger it, like shield itself or something.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

No crowd control spell should need a glyph to remove dots, a CC spell should just do that by design anyway.

Glyphs as a whole should just be done away with. Most of them are just fluff anyway.

Now that we don't have a minimum range, we should get Aspect of the Monkey back. Cheetah and Pack should be one and the same.

I Agree with on use trinkets. Most of the time I forget to use them anyway.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Jeanne
Realm: Dragonmaw

Unread post by Jeanne »

I think unless aspects are made more interesting then they should be done away with. All of our abilities should act as if we have Aspect of the Hawk enabled and Aspect of the Cheetah/Pack made into ordinary spells and the aspect bar done away with entirely.

Aspects have the potential to be interesting, but I think the time for them has long since passed.
Schlager
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Undermine

Unread post by Schlager »

Agreed! Too many burst hunter spells! The rotation is kinda ridiculous, and the on-use trinkets add to our woes!

Burst
Beastial Wrath
Stampede
Lynx Rush

Recovery
Focus Fire
Rapid Fire
Dire Beast

I mean, do we really need three spells in each category? BW, Lynx and Stampede are burst DPS, then the other three for increasing focus, but they could easily be combined with a shorter cool-down so instead of 4 spells we have 2:

combine Beastial Wrath, Stampede & Rush for burst
combine Rapid Shots & Dire Beast for focus recovery
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Lynx Rush is a talent and choice. You don't have to take it. You can take other skills instead. Likewise with Dire Beast. Asking to have those consolidated would make more need to put in different talents, which to me is just more work than is needed.

Also, for me, while I love the idea of halving healing with my Serpent Sting, this would make the ability way too powerful. Having it be an easily-applied DOT that can be kept up 100% *and* halving healing on the enemy? Way, way too powerful an ability. Balance-wise, while I would like to have a different way to apply it, it feels like these two things placed together would be way too much. Maybe I haven't looked at other people's healing reduction abilities, though, to know how hard they are to keep up or how much damage they do while they are applied.

Aspects, for me, are definitely something that can be done away with. I would rather keep Cheetah and Pack separate, as there's times I don't want to affect the whole party when I want to rush (especially if I forget to turn it off), but I do admit that it seems redundant to have Hawk as now, it'd always be turned on. Instead, if they want people to do less damage in Cheetah/Pack, have Cheetah/Pack be a spell that increases speed, but reduces attack power.
Come see Kurasu's stables!