Favorite holiday food

User avatar
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 6722
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:00 pm
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Spiritbinder wrote:And yes Gorman, you can use soy ice cream if preferred ;)
Indeed! I would probably be content with the sherry-soaked fruit, however :)
Seilahyn wrote:Ooh! I do love the Christmas hard candies, especially the raspberry hard candies filled with raspberry. I only really see them out during Christmas time.
!! I don't think I've had any of those since my childhood (and that was many, many years ago). Now have a mission to acquire some!

And I forgot to mention cranberry relish. I love it so, and make it multiple times every year without fail.
Image
User avatar
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1195
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 am
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H
Gender: Female

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by Niabi »

Mozag wrote:3. And finally, my mother's lamb with those lemon soaked potatoes of delicious heavenliness. Basically, it's a leg of lamb that has been rubbed with all sorts of herbs and spices including cinnamon, stuffed to the brim with garlic and soaked in fantastic cold pressed olive oil and millions of lemons. Then she boils potatoes, fries them a little, throws them in the baking dish and they suck up the juices until they literally are saturated with the flavour of olive oil, lemon, herbs, spices and garlic. Just thinking about it makes me want to scream.
This sounds absolutely devine! I'll have to try my own version of this some day!

Image
Avatar & Signature by Jeydis
Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Schwert
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:44 am
Realm: [[US - Proudmore]]
Gender: i dunno
Location: Icecrown

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by Schwert »

Count Chocula.
Which I couldn't find this year...


Oh we're talking about Christmas?

User avatar
Wain
The Insane
The Insane
Posts: 14059
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by Wain »

Niabi wrote:
Mozag wrote:3. And finally, my mother's lamb with those lemon soaked potatoes of delicious heavenliness. Basically, it's a leg of lamb that has been rubbed with all sorts of herbs and spices including cinnamon, stuffed to the brim with garlic and soaked in fantastic cold pressed olive oil and millions of lemons. Then she boils potatoes, fries them a little, throws them in the baking dish and they suck up the juices until they literally are saturated with the flavour of olive oil, lemon, herbs, spices and garlic. Just thinking about it makes me want to scream.
This sounds absolutely devine! I'll have to try my own version of this some day!
So many things in this thread have made me feel hungry, but this really wins for me, too. My stomach is groaning just thinking about how delicious it'd be. Followed by Spiritbinder's Christmas pudding ice cream.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
User avatar
Silivren
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 4461
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:44 pm
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.
Gender: Female

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by Silivren »

Wain wrote:
Niabi wrote:
Mozag wrote:3. And finally, my mother's lamb with those lemon soaked potatoes of delicious heavenliness. Basically, it's a leg of lamb that has been rubbed with all sorts of herbs and spices including cinnamon, stuffed to the brim with garlic and soaked in fantastic cold pressed olive oil and millions of lemons. Then she boils potatoes, fries them a little, throws them in the baking dish and they suck up the juices until they literally are saturated with the flavour of olive oil, lemon, herbs, spices and garlic. Just thinking about it makes me want to scream.
This sounds absolutely devine! I'll have to try my own version of this some day!
So many things in this thread have made me feel hungry, but this really wins for me, too. My stomach is groaning just thinking about how delicious it'd be. Followed by Spiritbinder's Christmas pudding ice cream.
How did I miss this.. I.. Mozag learn and cook for me please? /puppy eyes. I'll give you all the Norn men you want.

Image

User avatar
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2982
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 6:46 pm
Realm: Zul'jin(US)
Gender: Female

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by Qinni »

I always look forward to the peppermint ice cream every December. My aunt makes the best fruitcake ever, nothing like those stale slabs you find at the store. >.<

Also...*insert any holiday food here and I will most likely eat it*
User avatar
Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3610
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:19 am
Realm: Several on EU.
Gender: Female
Location: Finland

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by Mozag »

Vulpixen wrote: How did I miss this.. I.. Mozag learn and cook for me please? /puppy eyes. I'll give you all the Norn men you want.
I know how to make it, but it's never as special as my mother's. But for Norn men, ok...DEAL. :lol:
nightblooming
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:54 pm

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by nightblooming »

The MMOWood site posted the latest wallpapers of mmorpg ArcheBlade, and they are so cool and beautiful.
Last edited by nightblooming on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 19603
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:19 am
Realm: Rivervale US EQL/Azol-Nerub EU WOW
Gender: Female
Location: Copenhagen- Denmark

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by Ana »

My favorit holiday food is defo

Ris a la mande (Rice a la mande/rice pudding)

Image Image


and porkroast- the danish version :D - with normal white potatoes and white potatoes cooked on a pan in sugar and butter (no idea what the name for them is in English), brown gravy and warm red cabbage - preferable with something sour on the side like pickled gherkins or these Image which according to my dictionary is also called pickled gherkins but they defo taste different then the green one

Image Image

Image

HUGE thanks to Syleye for my lovely sig

* Flight Rising *
User avatar
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2755
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 am
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)
Gender: male
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Favorite holiday food

Unread post by Sukurachi »

well, we're French Canadian, with a VERY long ancestry here... we have a traditional family recipe that's been passed down for generations since our ancestors arrived in New France in 1625.

It's something called "tourtière".

There's a bastardized version of it that nothing more than a ground-meat pie - thoroughly disgusting.

The REAL recipe is:

cubes of moose, deer, beef, lamb, duck, (normally pork, but we don't eat pork, so one minor adjustment) and cubes of potato.
in a turkey roaster (we use a gigantic restaurant-grade roaster), lined with like a pie dough, dump all ingredients, put dough across top, fill with water, then it bakes all day - around 9 hours.

We only eat this at Christmas because it IS rather expensive to make, and the wild meats are harder to come by at other times of the year (my mother-in-law goes hunting in the fall, which means we get enough meat for Christmas, and that doesn't last the rest of the year).

One year, my mom decided that making a tourtière was "too much trouble"... well, civil war was declared in the household, the proletariat rebelled, the natives revolted... and we ended up having tourtière for Christmas that year after all :-)

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Post Reply