WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

User avatar
Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:18 pm
Realm: Moon Guard
Gender: Female

WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Tsuki »

http://mashable.com/2013/01/13/java-exploit/

Seriously. I don't want anyone to fall victim to anything like this D:

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

User avatar
Rawr
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 4488
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:21 pm
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: Female

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Rawr »

Lovely, just lovely, oh well may as well uninstall it and run a boot time scan. :mrgreen:

Image

User avatar
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:00 pm
Realm: Argent Dawn

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Boven »

It should be noted that, unless you're running Windows 8, you do not, in all likelihood, have the version of Java which is affected.

To quote the journal posting of a friend:

The big terrible dangerous flaw in Java that they are reporting was introduced in version 7, release 10 to be exact. It involves a totally new function call, and poses a risk only for Java run from the web using the Java plug-in (or possibly Java programs downloaded that require version 7.)

Version 7 of the Java plug-in is not present on most PCs yet. Most of us, and especially those who are not running Windows 8, probably have version 6. Scripts designed to take advantage of the flawed function do not work with version 6.



The official CERT alert regarding it is here: http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA12-240A.html and notes that downgrading from 7 to 6 removes the vulnerability.

It's been a while, but I believe that typing java -version at the command prompt will tell you the version of Java you have. It will, however, return the version with a 1 in front of it, so version 6 would show as 1.6.x

If one does have version 7, then something does need to be done, however, it's not really worth getting into a panic over, especially since the majority of people still have version 6.
User avatar
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 14063
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:40 am
Realm: Dethecus
Location: Thedas
Contact:

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Kalliope »

NPR's coverage: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... sabling-it

Nice checklists for how to disable/see if you're running it.

Image
Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

User avatar
Boven
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:00 pm
Realm: Argent Dawn

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Boven »

Oh, and I should also mention that Firefox (at least on my machine here at work and the ones at home) seems to have automatically disabled the java plugin thanks to the folks at Mozilla.
User avatar
Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:18 pm
Realm: Moon Guard
Gender: Female

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Tsuki »

Yup, I noticed for a while Java was not working in my browser (but I didn't care cause I don't use anything java related in browser), but then Avast! antivirus was all
GURL, YOU SHOULD CHECK DIS SHIT OUT! And I was all
O:
D:
D:<

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:35 pm
Realm: Draka
Gender: Male for both
Location: If I'm somewhere else, I can't be here

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Danielfboone »

Boven wrote:It should be noted that, unless you're running Windows 8, you do not, in all likelihood, have the version of Java which is affected.

To quote the journal posting of a friend:

The big terrible dangerous flaw in Java that they are reporting was introduced in version 7, release 10 to be exact. It involves a totally new function call, and poses a risk only for Java run from the web using the Java plug-in (or possibly Java programs downloaded that require version 7.)

Version 7 of the Java plug-in is not present on most PCs yet. Most of us, and especially those who are not running Windows 8, probably have version 6. Scripts designed to take advantage of the flawed function do not work with version 6.



The official CERT alert regarding it is here: http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA12-240A.html and notes that downgrading from 7 to 6 removes the vulnerability.

It's been a while, but I believe that typing java -version at the command prompt will tell you the version of Java you have. It will, however, return the version with a 1 in front of it, so version 6 would show as 1.6.x

If one does have version 7, then something does need to be done, however, it's not really worth getting into a panic over, especially since the majority of people still have version 6.
This is not completely true. Version 6 is being automatically replaced with 7 by the updating procedure with regularity on all versions of Windows. It has happened on all 3 of my systems,one with XP, one with Vista, and one with Win 7.

Another thing is that some security firms are saying that the 7.11 update is not enough and that it might take as long as 2 years to fully remove the threat. All the update does is ramp up the default security setting and prompt you to allow Java to run every time a site requests it.
Image
User avatar
Qinni
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2982
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 6:46 pm
Realm: Zul'jin(US)
Gender: Female

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Qinni »

Is there a safe java to download at all? I'm not really good with these computer type stuff but I Uninstalled my current java.
User avatar
Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:18 pm
Realm: Moon Guard
Gender: Female

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Tsuki »

Java 7u11 is supposed to be safest, however, AFAIK, the only thing it does is ask permission.
Personally, I'd just disable it/uninstall it, since not much uses Java anyway.

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

User avatar
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 17426
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Realm: Moon Guard
Gender: Genderfluid
Location: US
Contact:

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Lisaara »

Tsuki wrote:http://mashable.com/2013/01/13/java-exploit/

Seriously. I don't want anyone to fall victim to anything like this D:
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/techn ... -1B7938755

This might be more relevant.

Image
Lisaara ღ Pokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

User avatar
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 15644
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 pm
Gender: absolutely not

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Azunara »

Turns out my Firefox was on the ball, I went to go disable and found it was already disabled. Granted, I've been running the old version because I'm also incredibly lazy about updating my computer. It's a bad habit, I'll admit. >>;
User avatar
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Posts: 11998
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:00 pm
Realm: dath remar
Gender: female
Location: New zealand, auckland

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by cowmuflage »

Yeah Firefox told me it would be best to disable it so I did.
User avatar
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 6857
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm
Realm: US - Ysera
Gender: Female playing males and females
Location: My chair

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Rhyela »

I had Java 6, but I went ahead and uninstalled it anyway just to be safe. Thanks for the heads-up!

Image

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:35 pm
Realm: Draka
Gender: Male for both
Location: If I'm somewhere else, I can't be here

Re: WARNING TO ALL JAVA USERS, DISABLE OR UPDATE TO 7u11 NOW

Unread post by Danielfboone »

A lot of online games still run on Java and my friend here would never be able to live without them so Java stays in this house. I haven't disabled it on my machine either. We just switched to the new version of Comodo Internet Security and they claim it will stop any exploits. It works wonderfully by the way. It is now very silent and the HIPS module is actually disabled by default with a new Behavior Blocker taking it's place and doing much of the same things but silently.
Image
Post Reply