Still Confused On Crit Vs. Mastery

leaponover
Realm: Hyjal

Still Confused On Crit Vs. Mastery

Unread post by leaponover »

Wasn't sure if I needed a new topic on this. I saw a sticky one but it was for glyphs and talent choices.

I just started as a real raider, been about a month and a half now. I had to have a sit down with my raid leader as he said I was doing a good job but my numbers were too low for my ilevel. I had been following askmrrobot and I never put too much effort into figuring out reforging on my own. So, the numbers guy told me that my main problem was that I didn't reforge everything to Mastery. I had too much haste, and critical strike. He told me that mastery should be my biggest concentration in reforging (agility is obviously the main one). He said that because I am BM I should be concerned with mastery as I do 60% of the damage with my pet.

So, here is my problem. I can't find a definitive answer on stats. Noxxic says crit, icy-veins says mast, I can't check mmo-champion or elitist jerks because they are blocked at work but rumor has it that elitist says crit. What's the deal? Which one do I go with. Of course I will listen to my numbers guy but now I feel like I can defend myself a bit because I see that its really up in the air. When I went to wowbargraphs they showed that most people are reforging to crit.

What say you folks?

My last question.... If I wanted to test this out myself. (forged to mast vs forged to crit) what would be the best way to test it on a dummy. Do I just do the same thing for a 1 minute period and check the numbers? Should it be longer? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

As stated above i'm a BM Hunter with a 492 ilevel

I'm talented for Post Haste, Spirit Bond, Dire Beast, Glaive Toss, MoC, ( i forget the other ones. I had lynx rush only because I liked it for questing but most people say MoC is still the best)

Thanks again!!
Jeanne
Realm: Dragonmaw

Re: Still Confused On Crit Vs. Mastery

Unread post by Jeanne »

Elitist Jerks says the following:
Despite what simulation tools say, haste is not a very attractive stat over what we cannot avoid from gear. "Faux reforging" over several valus of secondary stats between haste, crit and mastery show that;

mastery and crit have a very high synergy
haste and crit have an okay synergy, though not as good as the one between mastery and crit
haste and mastery diminish each other - in all cases it would be better to go either full haste or full mastery, with full mastery being significantly better within the observed min/max

In addition I also found that
mastery and crit are very close together in value
mastery will be better then crit at more intervals than vice versa
a balance of mastery and crit shows better results than going purely for one or the other
while haste may show slightly better results at specific increases, it also does so at specific decreases, and shows loss just before and just after these points - this can only be due to dead time or shot shifting.
haste will, apart from the specific shot shifting points, be a loss over mastery or crit at all other tested points

This leads to a valuation of:
Agi>hit==exp (to cap)>>mastery>~crit>>haste
From this analysis it seems that if you have haste on your gear you should reforge it to either mastery or crit and should avoid gemming for it as well.
leaponover
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by leaponover »

Yes but which one? I know to ignore haste after the cap but what is more important...crit or mastery?
Jeanne
Realm: Dragonmaw

Unread post by Jeanne »

leaponover wrote:Yes but which one? I know to ignore haste after the cap but what is more important...crit or mastery?
Since you can only reforge to a stat if it's not already there then if an item has haste/mastery then reforge haste to crit. If an item has haste/crit then reforge haste to mastery.

If an item has mastery/crit then you'll probably get dozens of different opinions with discussions of crit caps, mastery caps, crit/mastery caps, etc.

Based on everything I've been reading it seems that mastery is slightly more powerful than crit so if an item has mastery/crit I'd reforge crit to mastery.

I hope this helps! :hug:
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

However....

If you keep reading at EJ, there's a massive pissing contest going on as to who's right.

The best summary for BM likely is, mastery is best until you start getting closer to current tier BiS, which you don't have to worry about for quite a while, and haste takes over at that point.

Keep all of them relatively balanced, and don't worry about it. :-)
Account has been closed at user's request.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

It sounds like the two stats are too close to worry about unless you're desperate to min/max for heroic raiding. Even then it might vary a little depending on the fight, so even still may not be so important.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Wain wrote:It sounds like the two stats are too close to worry about unless you're desperate to min/max for heroic raiding. Even then it might vary a little depending on the fight, so even still may not be so important.
^^^^^ This very much so.

and I prefer IcyVeins. they're like ElitistJerks but much more simpler and gear more towards the average player...so they leave out all the math bits the average joes don't care about.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine