PTR gets me thinking about the future of hunters...

For discussion of the upcoming 5.4 patch, and any finds on the PTR.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring, Arathor, Moon Guard(US)

Re: PTR gets me thinking about the future of hunters...

Unread post by Zalani »

Nevish wrote:The idea of lobbing live wasp nests at the heads of my enemies pleases me greatly.
I second this, attacking people with bees would be very entertaining.(sry for slightly big giff)
Also, The idea of a melee BM is interesting but I probably wouldn't play as Bm anymore though.
I like the fact of being able to attack from range, not really that big of a melee person either. So it's mostly that.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Looks like hunter spec differential may be a focus of the next xpac.

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status ... 1937722369

John Lujick ‏@Bunzato 13 Jul
@Ghostcrawler Now that we're approaching the end of MoP. What class/classes do you think need a big overhaul in 6.0?

Greg Street ‏@Ghostcrawler
@Bunzato None. We will likely work to make the 3 hunter and rogue specs play a little more differently from each other.

Edit: I think part of the frustration of hunter specs for me personally is the fact these strong themes are tied to rotations. I love the Beastmastery theme but despise the way it plays, the rotation. I only have BM as my second spec because you can't use some pets without it (I've always thought they should redo how that works but thats neither here nor there). Same goes with MM's rotation. I don't care for it but I love the concept of a ranger specialization.

However folks get attached to playstyles, and then equate playstyles to themes, despite there being iconic lore examples of BM and Rangers acting very different than the related Hunter specs (Rexxar, Sylvanas etc)
Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Unread post by Slickrock »

Quivering wrote:Looks like hunter spec differential may be a focus of the next xpac.

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status ... 1937722369

John Lujick ‏@Bunzato 13 Jul
@Ghostcrawler Now that we're approaching the end of MoP. What class/classes do you think need a big overhaul in 6.0?

Greg Street ‏@Ghostcrawler
@Bunzato None. We will likely work to make the 3 hunter and rogue specs play a little more differently from each other.

Edit: I think part of the frustration of hunter specs for me personally is the fact these strong themes are tied to rotations. I love the Beastmastery theme but despise the way it plays, the rotation. I only have BM as my second spec because you can't use some pets without it (I've always thought they should redo how that works but thats neither here nor there). Same goes with MM's rotation. I don't care for it but I love the concept of a ranger specialization.

However folks get attached to playstyles, and then equate playstyles to themes, despite there being iconic lore examples of BM and Rangers acting very different than the related Hunter specs (Rexxar, Sylvanas etc)
What concerns me with what GC is talking about there means they are likely to try some radical changes, which they are typically bad at. Talking like that is what they said when they gave pallies holy power.

I don't mind the concept of a "raiding spec" and a "soloing spec" as long as it doesn't regemming and reforging for every swap.

I really do like the ranger idea for raiding, but won't expand on that idea on these forums since I'll be attacked for it.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slapperfish

Unread post by Slapperfish »

Pssssh, I've been killing things with a swarm of tiny wasps for over a week now:
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

LOL wtf, thats V cool :lol: but why are your they so small? :shock:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Slapperfish

Unread post by Slapperfish »

SpiritBinder wrote:
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20206
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Quivering wrote:I only have BM as my second spec because you can't use some pets without it (I've always thought they should redo how that works but thats neither here nor there).
Agreed. I mentioned somewhere a little while ago, they should just do away with "BM only" pets, remove the double ability from them a leave them with the more unique (eg. Quilen lose Fearless Roar, but keep Eternal Guardian, Water Striders loose still water but keep Surface Trot.) but when BM hunters learn exotic beasts at 69, they now learn something like “Bestial Master” and could now control 2 beasts at once. That way BM Hunters could mix a match their buffs/debuffs as needed/preferred, and then every hunter can access any pet ability needed, regarded of spec. Clearly if you could control 2 beasts, their damage would have to be adjusted to avoid being to much (maybe they do only 60% of their damage when 2 are active) But if you saw a hunter with 2 beasts, He/she would certainly look like a beast master indeed!

­
­
­
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Slapperfish wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20206
Sweet :D TY, thats awesome, I totally missed that thread :roll:

­
­
­
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

SpiritBinder wrote:Personally, call me greedy, but I'd love to see BM hunters have the ability to have 2 active pets at once. I just think it would make BM be visually different. I know they have exotics atm, but if exotics were removed (well the label) and let all pets be tamed by any spec and give them just 1 ability, then BM Hunters would still get 2 buffs. Just lower their damage so they are not too OP and tweak, whatever.
I just think it would look and feel awesome to have to beasts running on either side of a Beast Master :)
This this this.
I have swirled this thought around in my head for a while... would it be balanced if both pets had 50% of the stats of a single, normal pet?
DannyGreen
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by DannyGreen »

Well I am hoping for more specs in the future. Maybe a melee tank one like rexxar.

We need eyes of the beast, even if its a glyph or something.

But why not make use of the aspect system.
If they can do it for druids they can do it for us.
My idea is aspects for different things, You have aspect of the hawk for ranged, and aspect of the bear/monkey/gorilla/animal for a melee spec. Turns arcane shot into arcane strike, serpent sting to serpent strikes. Of course this would mean the return of stat sticks, but it's possible.

Marksman seem to complain allot about pets so I imagine them implementing a optional talent if they keep this 1 skill every 15 levels. (Which I hope they do, but also have the old talent tree style as well) which lets you get rid of your pet for a passive increase in damage.

Oh man what else would be awesome is a redo of traps.
For starters, get rid of the timer to set them up.
And add a third option for the trap launcher. Disabled (put on ground) Launcher (Choose where you want it) Shot (Instantly hits the target but with a minor reduction, less damage, smaller cc)
Next, buff snake trap. It's pretty situational right now. Only time I use it is feign death tab tricking.
Beartrap. It's a snare, if they move a few yards out of it, they get a bleed dot on them.
Shock trap. Elemental damage.
Firework trap. Undetectable by rogues, if they step on it, it shoots out a few flares. Auto applies hunters mark to stealthed targets. (Shares flare cd)
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Equeon wrote:
SpiritBinder wrote:Personally, call me greedy, but I'd love to see BM hunters have the ability to have 2 active pets at once. I just think it would make BM be visually different. I know they have exotics atm, but if exotics were removed (well the label) and let all pets be tamed by any spec and give them just 1 ability, then BM Hunters would still get 2 buffs. Just lower their damage so they are not too OP and tweak, whatever.
I just think it would look and feel awesome to have to beasts running on either side of a Beast Master :)
This this this.
I have swirled this thought around in my head for a while... would it be balanced if both pets had 50% of the stats of a single, normal pet?

this WOULD feel like something unique for BM spec.

they would have to carefully balance so that buffs from both pets don't end up making it over-powered.

though having two pets in this way would probably require a bit more micro-managing of your pets. it would certainly be interesting to play without having your pet simply on auto-attack.

Right now Beast Mastery doesn't particularly earn its name.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.