Tanking Frozen Orbs

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Tanking Frozen Orbs

Unread post by Acherontia »

I discovered something pretty cool today, apologies if anyone else isn't aware of it.

On Toravon in VoA, especially 25-man, you may find Frozen Orbs running amok and generally destroying faces.

If you send pet (I raid with a wolf) and hit growl, intimidation if you have it etc, the pet will hold aggro and -not- take damage due to the -90% on AoE strength. Granted, I'm BM so the pet does more damage (= more threat), but I still think pets have hidden threat mechanics especially when set to Defensive.

Try it out, but make sure you don't stop them right next to tanks/healers :D
Saturo

Re: Tanking Frozen Orbs

Unread post by Saturo »

I've actually tried this, and it won't work, sadly. Unless the DPS is really, really bad, your pet won't keep aggro for more than a fraction of a second. Also, the orbs are immune to stuns, so Intimidate won't work at all against them.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

The Intimidation causes large amounts of threat. It isn't for stun :P

And I just did it on 25 and didn't have a problem, perhaps because I'm BM?
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Yup, on the occasions where I run VoA I always turn growl on for the Frozen Orbs. While my pet tanks them I can take them down in no time.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

So it's not news :lol: Ahh well, maybe it'll help someone in a pinch.

Regarding the threat mechanics, maybe someone'll remember me mentioning awhile back that defensive pets seem to keep threat, even without growl? Or mine does, anyway :X

Someone ninjapulled the adds coming up on Toravon. Couple people keeled over, MT picked up the second add but the first one was killing folks. I sent pet and he pulled/kept aggro until it died. The healers thankfully were on the ball. Here's the recount showing Damage Taken for that fight; my pet is Thrakk, and the MT was Adz.

It just makes me go, wtf :shock:

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

My pets all ways in defensive and i pull of him all the time. hes a tank pet(crab) so he can hold aggro well but i do have some good DPS so that might be it XD.

I allways am put on orb duty and yeah sent pet and run and gun is what i do and works out just fine!.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Acherontia wrote:It just makes me go, wtf :shock:
I'm guessing that's because the tank's tankyness took off a lot of the damage incoming to him (def rating, dodge, parry, etc.) compared to your pet, just with his stats.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Oh, I don't mean the damage taken, I just mean it shows proof that the pet tanked the 2nd mob. Tank had one, pet had other. The one the pet was tanking was killed first, which I imagine accounts for the % taken when compared to the tank's damage taken. So it wasn't "WTF, MY PET R UBARTANK," was more like, wtf, how do pets hold aggro vs a raid :D

Still, thank goodness for it. Emergency tankpets ftw!
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Acherontia wrote:was more like, wtf, how do pets hold aggro vs a raid :D
Ah ok, gotcha.