Good Pet for a Newer hunter?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Artyrius
Realm: Terenas, Anvilmar

Good Pet for a Newer hunter?

Unread post by Artyrius »

In your opinion, what would be a good pet for a low level hunter? Low level being under 60... Looking for something for tanking. Something easy to tame too.
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Re: Good Pet for a Newer hunter?

Unread post by Tankperson »

When i'm leveling my lowbies I look for pets that give a nice buff. All pets are good for tanking just gotta put them in the right spec. I look at the Dog family for the stats Hyena's are great for haste.
Artyrius

Right now, I'm sitting on a Hydra, a Raptor and the Blood Elf starter pet.. I also have a Basilisk and a Stag. This is my first hunter over level 20... So I am really new to this.
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Not a problem at all Arty I remember when I started my first everything was not this easy. Over all you can use any pet you want too and you'll be fine though out leveling. Use what ever you like and you'll be fine.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

If you're looking for something specifically for tanking tougher mobs, you might want to look into turtles, beetles and crabs. They all have a special ability that reduces damage taken by 50% for 12 seconds. Coupled with the tenacity spec, they can be pretty beefy.

As mentioned above, however, any pet can be switched to tenacity where it will gain enhanced survivability. For instance, I use a stag, and he tanks mobs very well! (Granted, I have to keep using Misdirection and Heal Pet, but still.) But it does seem to me that those three above are especially well-suited for tanking. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Artyrius

Kinda wish I had more friends to help me level. Both guilds that I am currently in, have nobody ever on. Bleh.
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

What realm are you on if your on steam wheedle horde side I can point ya in the direction of a very active guild.
Artyrius

I'm on Anvilmar, and Terenas. My hunter is Horde, but my other main is Alliance.
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Yeah I don't have any characters on those realms but I'm sure if you look around you can find a pretty active guild.
Artyrius

I have such a hard time trying to figure out what Pet I want next.. So many to choose from! OhMyGosh
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Haha, well, with 50 slots, you should more or less be able to tame whatever tickles your fancy. Of course, deciding which one to actually use is another story. I tend to have about, oh.....15 or so that I consider my main pets. Others I take out just so they can get some fresh air every once in a while. :) Welcome to the addiction. :P

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Artyrius

This is honestly my First hunter... and I already want to make 100 more...
Kalhoun
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Ghostlands (H) & Kirin Tor (A)

Unread post by Kalhoun »

You might enjoy participating in the "Random Pet Challenge" thread over here: http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 34&t=16802 That way you have an excuse to try out lots of new pets while you level.

Whenever I make a new hunter, I like to track down whatever rares are in my level range, just for fun. It gives me something to work towards, and a reason to try out different models/families. Though I typically always end up with one pet my Hunter "bonds" with and is used the most.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

I've always simply picked the pet that I liked the look of most. Which means at least 5 of my many hunters have Gondria, 3 have the beautiful mirror crab from Draenor, and not one of my hunters has a pig pet because I loathe pigs!

I often try to match my hunter pet with the racial mount... so my lowby Alliance N.Elf hunters have cat pets that match their cat mounts.

On other toons I like to match hunter pets with battlepets... so two of my hunters have the "Son of Sethe" battlepet, and tamed Azzere the Skyblade to go with that.

Unless you're really fine-tuning stats for raids and dungeons and stuff, I'm not really sure that pet buffs are all that important to simple levelling.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Artyrius

I've trying to tame most of the Rares around my level that I like the look of. Half the time they aren't around. I didnt manage to tame The Lone Hunter, after someone let me tame him, then I helped him kill the next one that spawned.. I Like the ghost type pets, hydras and still cant wait for a Chimaera (Still cant tame one, 3 more levels to go)
Artyrius

I've bonded really well with The Lone Hunter. Ghost Worg with Crit Strike Boost? Yes please. Starting to bond with Tsul'Kalu. It's kinda fun running around outside of Dungeons with a Gorilla.
Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I would level as Beast Master and after level 80 use a pet that gives the Mastery buff. Cats, Hydras, and Spirit Beasts all give you that increased pet damage that by itself, increases threat and therefore tanking ability. Even in Ferocity spec, those pets hold aggro very well. If you spec them as Tenacity, they will be very good.

Before you get Mastery, a Ferocity pet can still tank pretty well but since the mastery buff doesn't kick in until 80, a pet that gives extra Crit would be a good choice. Wolves and Raptors do well and you can spec them Tenacity if you want. Myself, I use a cat because I like them even though they don't give a useable buff until 80. I really never saw the need to use straight up Tenacity pets like Turtles, Crabs, or Bears.
biscitandchina
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: winterhoof

Unread post by biscitandchina »

Try a Bird Of Prey On tenacity. I found mine quite useful.

Whatever you choose is a Great choice though!
Stephen
Realm: Stormrage-US-Alliance

Unread post by Stephen »

Sukurachi wrote:I've always simply picked the pet that I liked the look of most. Which means at least 5 of my many hunters have Gondria, 3 have the beautiful mirror crab from Draenor, and not one of my hunters has a pig pet because I loathe pigs!

I often try to match my hunter pet with the racial mount... so my lowby Alliance N.Elf hunters have cat pets that match their cat mounts.

On other toons I like to match hunter pets with battlepets... so two of my hunters have the "Son of Sethe" battlepet, and tamed Azzere the Skyblade to go with that.

Unless you're really fine-tuning stats for raids and dungeons and stuff, I'm not really sure that pet buffs are all that important to simple levelling.
Interesting that you mention the reflective-looking crab from Draenor. I was killing those earlier for a fishing quest on an alt and was thinking of going back to tame one on my hunter. Now I just feel like going to darkshore and grabbing a blue crab for the nostalgia. .:sigh:. old Darkshore, why did they have to destroy you? :(
SibealAD
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by SibealAD »

Myself, for a low level hunter I like keeping a bear for tanking. They have pretty good defenses and passives.

For doing dungeons it's kind of up to you. Low level there are not a lot of party buffs, each class gets things at different levels. A moth is really useful with the Battle Rez if you are running into a problem with a lot of healers still learning how to heal. Or if you can find a nether ray (46 rare in Felwood and a 51 rare in burningsteeps) for the Lust/Hero from Nether Winds.