5%

Total votes: 20

Takanuka
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Just curious on what attracted you guys to wow

Unread post by Takanuka »

1.) I know advertisements and friends or family brought in players throughout the years but I am curious on what attracted you all here to play wow?
2.) And to find out the pros and cons wow is doing lately or has done in the past.
3.) Oh and thoughts on how you feel on what the level cap should have been or how high it will go.
4.) A lot of people hated the garrison for different reasons but who else wish they used faralon or the giant continent sw of Draenor for housing so you can see each others housing and be optional rather than forced on you and bigger customization like how they did in archeage.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Re: Just curious on what attracted you guys to wow

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Well i was kind of oblivious to MMORPGS being a thing that existed so just the fact that wow existed was a strange and seemingly impossible idea to me. (parents only ever let me play old single player rts games.) Back when i used to watch the big bang theory there were a few episodes were they would play or talk about the game and it sounded like fun. I recall one of them having a hunter with a moonstalker pet and saying they had had him since level ten and i was just like "Woooowww- i want that. That sounds so fun."
elves and pet dinosaurs are basically 100% of what made me buy the game after my free trial. I could be and elf, have a pet dinosaur AND ride a DRAGON? Hell yeah! that was like 80% of my childhood dreams right there.
funny enough i tamed a moonstalker runt by accident at level ten and still have him. :lol:

Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

I chose "Lore" although the correct answer had to be "Roleplay".

I played my way through all Warcraft titles. Way back in time, I heard about the plans to make WoW, which was a complete new concept for me. A world where you just play one charakter in it and a lot of other people do the same? And all that in the Warcraft universe? They had me at "hello".

Although I played WoW from late 2006 until early 2015, I've been really disappointed in the way people play WoW.
Roleplayers are very uncommon and even then have so different views on roleplaying, you can't bring them together.
But still, I miss WoW somehow and the return of the LEGION will be a hard teast for my strength to not return to Azeroth.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

No offense, but these categories aren't the greatest. They create some distinctions that aren't really necessary, while leaving out some options like "Friends played the game."

Quests should really be combined with Lore, unless you mean by quests you solely meant "the questing system". Pretty much every quest, even the most insignificant, has some relevance to the lore.
Classes and Races should probably be combined into "Character Creation".
Zones and Art Style should also probably be combined. I think zone design is the most major way the game displays its art style besides the character and creature models themselves.
Doc Privas
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Doc Privas »

Actually it was the South Park episode for me :P

Then later I searched for informations about WoW and I fell in love with tauren.

Cloudstrider - Highmountain Tauren Hunter
Argent Dawn EU

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

1) Well, I chose "Lore" from the listed options, since I watched my boyfriend play through the WC3 campaign when we were younger and I got hooked on the Arthas storyline. But it was mostly friends for us, since it was his friend that started playing WoW in Vanilla and got us to check it out. I only vaguely knew some things about the Warcraft lore but I was intrigued enough, and the idea of this huge explorable world really excited me. My boyfriend and I started night elf hunters together as our first characters and I've been playing ever since.

2) I'm not really the type of person to dwell on the negative? I mean sure there's been aspects or mistakes here and there but overall I still play the game, I still enjoy the game, and I'm looking forward to Legion very much. I think Blizzard learns something new each expansion and I just hope they improve on some factors that were a letdown in WoD.

3) The level cap will go as high as they need it to for as long as they go for? I mean I guess personally I think 100 is a nice even number, but it's just a number in the end and won't make a difference.

4) Man I'm really disappointed we couldn't choose where our Garrisons could be built like they originally talked about. I would have loved to have mine in Spires of Arak. I'm so sick of the snowy area. I also wish we had more customization but ehh, it's kind of a done deal now. If they revisit the concept again in some way I'm sure it will be better.
Jelani
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Jelani »

I chose zones. Because I remember vividly my first time sitting and watching WoW.

My sister's boyfriend (now husband) was playing Vanilla WoW and, out of curosity, I sat down to watch. He was on a flightpath from Felwood down to Tanaris. And I was facinated watching a game that didnt use loading screens to go between zones. I loved watching so I started asking questions. Then he mentioned the hunter class...and allowed me to make a toon on his account long ago to try it out.

I bought the game not long after..lol So it's all his fault

YAY! Flight Rising! Rawr!

Arthur
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Arthur »

I started playing because one of my favorite artists at the time drew a lot of pictures of their NELF druid and I wanted to try the game myself

Imagemounts - pets - armoryImage

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Takanuka
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Vephriel wrote:1) Well, I chose "Lore" from the listed options, since I watched my boyfriend play through the WC3 campaign when we were younger and I got hooked on the Arthas storyline. But it was mostly friends for us, since it was his friend that started playing WoW in Vanilla and got us to check it out. I only vaguely knew some things about the Warcraft lore but I was intrigued enough, and the idea of this huge explorable world really excited me. My boyfriend and I started night elf hunters together as our first characters and I've been playing ever since.

2) I'm not really the type of person to dwell on the negative? I mean sure there's been aspects or mistakes here and there but overall I still play the game, I still enjoy the game, and I'm looking forward to Legion very much. I think Blizzard learns something new each expansion and I just hope they improve on some factors that were a letdown in WoD.

3) The level cap will go as high as they need it to for as long as they go for? I mean I guess personally I think 100 is a nice even number, but it's just a number in the end and won't make a difference.

4) Man I'm really disappointed we couldn't choose where our Garrisons could be built like they originally talked about. I would have loved to have mine in Spires of Arak. I'm so sick of the snowy area. I also wish we had more customization but ehh, it's kind of a done deal now. If they revisit the concept again in some way I'm sure it will be better.
When I asked about cons about wow I was just wanting to know what they messed up on and what they should've done instead of trying to sugar coat it. Wasn't trying to bash or hate on it just wanted input nothing more.
Takanuka
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Equeon wrote:No offense, but these categories aren't the greatest. They create some distinctions that aren't really necessary, while leaving out some options like "Friends played the game."

Quests should really be combined with Lore, unless you mean by quests you solely meant "the questing system". Pretty much every quest, even the most insignificant, has some relevance to the lore.
Classes and Races should probably be combined into "Character Creation".
Zones and Art Style should also probably be combined. I think zone design is the most major way the game displays its art style besides the character and creature models themselves.
I choose the categories as I saw fit. Over half of the quests don't have lore especially the newer ones that are trying to be filler or push you into next zone or irrelevant to the storyline all together.

And character creation wasn't made because race and class attract many different ideas, desires, and we all know customization isn't that elaborate in this game. But still reasonable here. Like in aion wasn't much race choosing just two things but many many classes. In aion people overlooked the lack of races to play as individual customization because of the choices in classes but do you think a lot of people would play a game that had only like 1 - 2 classes but like 8 different races or more? No.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I honestly started playing WoW for NONE of the reason you listed. :lol:
I played because I started out playing Warcraft: Orc & Humans. Then played Warcraft II sets and the Warcraft III games. I started playing WoW on launch in 2004.
I guess maybe you could say it was lore /story. MAYBE. But truly it was because I was so hooked on the old Warcraft games I wanted more. lol

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Well, I can't choose one, cause my option, which would be "Friends played it" isn't there lol. But, anyway, I didn't know the game existed until a friend got me to play. And I stayed because I made a hunter. Having this awesome pet to go on adventures in this huge new world was just amazing. That another thing that kept me interested: the vastness of the world. I also thought the graphics were amazing. I was not what you'd call a gamer when I started. I'd played RPGs as a kid, stuff like Quest for Glory. So, that was a my benchmark for "good graphics" LOL. Of course, once I got into the game, lore became very interesting. I'm no expert, but I enjoy the lore alot, even if its not always consistent.
So, I guess out of your categories, classes, races, lore, and art are what got me to stay, even if they aren't what brought me there.
As for what I think the level cap should be...er...whatever they make it? The number isn't that important to me honestly.
Garrisons could have been better, I suppose. However, I've just returned to the game after a long absence, so I still think they're awesome XD I guess people who played for the duration of this expansion are pretty bored with them. I can see that. And if I was playing Horde, I would utterly hate it. The Horde garrisons look horrible, no offense. Barren, snowy wasteland with Orc heavy architecture ...no thanks. I know the Alliance one is very Stormwind looking, but I guess that's more of an open book than "this is orc" style. Of the three races I have high enough to have garrisons, all of them fit in there. I can't see any character but an orc fitting in at the Horde one. It also helps that Shadowmoon Valley is freakin AMAZING looking.
As for player housing...well, Everquest II type housing would rock. Buy a house, decorate it however you can imagine...that would be awesome. It would also be even more thing to collect *sigh* But I'd be all for it. It doesn't need a continent and something like you suggest where everyone would have a publicly visible plot of land with a house is probably not feasible. It could probably be done just the way EQII does it, by basically having a house be a private instance. Like in the city in EQII you can walk up to your front door on the street, but it just so happens to be the same front door alot of people use. You can add people to your visitor list, so that they can enter your house even while you are offline. There are a few levels of permission on what they can do with the stuff in the house, too. Now I miss my houses in EQII lol.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I found the game attractive because of the quests and exploration, but I had initially avoided it because I knew I'd find it addictive.

So the only real reason I began playing was because I started going out with someone who played and he worked a lot of shift / weekend hours. So I'd go to visit him and end up playing WoW on his computer until he got home. Within a week I had my own account ;)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Teigan wrote:Well, I can't choose one, cause my option, which would be "Friends played it" isn't there lol. But, anyway, I didn't know the game existed until a friend got me to play.
Yeah I think realistically there's a number of people who started playing not out of interest in the game, but because of other people. It's a social game after all. So I would've never considered trying it until I was given an account as a gift lol.

1) If I had to pick one of the above options I'd say "class" since I was attracted to the pet aspect of the hunter.

2) Way too much stuff to go through. With every xpac there's been pluses and minuses. This one has been a bit of a drag though. Oddly, I've leveled more alts than ever before, because in order to maximize garrison payout for your main you actually need a lot of them...

From the perspective of my main interest (raiding), the raids weren't spaced out well yet again (so we're going to be stuck with HFC for a year or more, and it seemed HM was given too short a timeframe of relevance). Some of the fights had way too many mechanics and often, mechanics that weren't even important, where people just ignored them. The legendary ring was a bad idea; there's constant bickering over who should trigger it and when.

3) I don't have much opinion on level caps. 60 was fine back in the day, 100 is fine now. It really doesn't affect gameplay other than making it possible to solo old content.

4) I didn't like garrisons because I feel like we're all just treating it like a daily grind now, and you're forced to do it unless you plan on not questing at all and don't care about losing out on professions, etc. I had originally hoped for something like player housing with a lot of customization, that was more of an optional side game for those who wanted to do it.

I also hate that there's trade channel in the garrison. I don't want to leave since I want it turned on in the cities, but I wish it was more quiet in the garrison.
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I was introduced to WoW through friends/co-workers of mine but I fell in love with WoW and continued to play because of the atmosphere (graphics and music), sense of camaraderie, and immersing myself into the hunter class.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

I'm a long time mmo rpg gamer. I started back in 96 on The realm online (http://www.giantbomb.com/the-realm-online/3030-8999/)
I've beta tested and played almost all of the online games today, and some that didn't make it like CoH and E&B. I'll admit fully to coming from Lineage 2 that wow's graphics were less than desired heh. But game play was amazing! I can't tell you how much of a breath of fresh air it was to actually receive drops. The lore was huge compared to any other out there. Raiding sounded amazing too.

I guess the TL:DR version is all of the above? WoW was the first game that had amazing balance in all aspects of game play (I didn't pvp so I don't include that)
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Castile »

I'd actually never played a game on the computer before WoW - just played consoles. I started playing because my then boyfriend (husband now) played since alpha and every party I went to with him his mates were always talking about this game. I was like whats so great that you need to talk about it at parties? So he sat me down on his account to try and I was hooked :)

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Does "Classes" count for "Pets?" :) Honestly, the pet taming system is what drew me in initially and eventually what drew me back.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Kalliope wrote:Does "Classes" count for "Pets?" :) Honestly, the pet taming system is what drew me in initially and eventually what drew me back.
THIS!!! ^ :lol:

I saw a mate playing it back in Vanilla and I saw a Nightelf Hunter, riding past on a Winterspring Frostsaber with the matching Lavender Saber Cat running at his side.

I was like "OMFG, What the hell is that?!?!" and he told me about the hunter class and how they can tame nearly any beast. :shock:

That was me... Hook, Line and Sinker.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Jami
Realm: Ravencrest

Unread post by Jami »

Well I cast my vote for "Classes"...but really, I was at the store one day and I saw the double pack for WoW and Burning Crusade and I figured I'd see what it was all about. The minute I saw all the different options for what you could be...I was hooked. First toon I actually played for more than five minutes was a Blood Elf Hunter...I leveled her to about 40 and then got bored...and wanted a Druid...sooo off to the Alliance I went because I won't make a Tauren. Not trying to offend anyone who likes them just my preference. Even now I'm well known for just swapping toons at the speed of light, though Hunter is first and foremost in my heart and always will be.

As far as pros and cons go I do have a con that turned into a pro, and again this is my personal preference; I was always a bit miffed that as a more casual player I was not able to get any of the "Cool" gear I saw others running around with. Of course when I first started, I was flying solo and I was completely clueless; I literally ran around in white vendor gear because I had no idea I wasn't supposed to lol. :oops: For me, the introduction of LFR and then the systems in WoD offered a whole new world to me. FINALLY there I was, able to experience a taste of end game content without the stress/time commitment of a normal/heroic raid. Sure, maybe my gear isn't as "epic" as someone who ran heroics, but then again, I think that's actually fair because their gear was much harder to obtain. I was so happy with Blizzard for implementing this into gameplay, and I hope it continues in Legion. I know a lot of the "hardcore" raiders complain that the game is "too easy" now, but honestly, they got mythic difficulties and they still have their raids and dungeons...I for one am happy Blizzard gave something to the little folk that actually make up a sizable chunk of the WoW community.

I was honestly hoping Blizzard might keep the cap at 100 as it is a nice round number, but if I am being realistic here I wasn't surprised to see it being raised again. The bottom line is, the game is there to make Blizzard money and just implementing new raids/dungeons is not going to keep everyone happy. It is what it is.

I don't mind the garrisons, but I do wish they hadn't set a cap on the number of followers you can have active at once. One of my favorite parts of the garrison was running around collecting followers; then only to see that I had to slash my numbers and figure out who I wanted to keep and who I had to deactivate. The shipyard...it is my bane...I've lost patience with it lol.