Elegon (Mechanical type) tameable ?

For discussion of the next WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Geleia
Realm: Azralon

Elegon (Mechanical type) tameable ?

Unread post by Geleia »

Is Elegon tameable ?

Has anyone with beta and the mechanical trait tested this yet ?

Thanks
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Re: Elegon (Mechanical type) tameable ?

Unread post by Quiv »

Elegon has been checked in the past and though flagged as Mechanical, he has not been tameable. It sparked some interesting discussion buried in one of these threads.
Takanuka
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

Unread post by Takanuka »

Imo, blizzard labeled the cloud serpents as beasts not dragonkin so hell why not? Besides Elegon is not in any specific lore just a guardian that could be overwritten by a master engineer maybe with a unique Hack key code engineers can learn? Would be awesome to hack Titan software and rewrite Elegon as a mechanical pet for hunters I mean we already can tame 4 legendary quilin stone guardians from mogushan vaults in the same expansion Laugh out loud... Tho obviously not til wod due to level requirements.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Cloud Serpents, in many cases, have exhibited a great amount of intelligence. Further, they are sacred to the Pandaren. I highly doubt they would be able if someone just showed up and started taking away Cloud Serpents without long proving themselves.

As for Elegon, there are lore and mechanic issues with taming him. Lorewise, he is sentient. He talks to you throughout the fight. The four Quilen didn't do that, and the four Quilen aren't Titan creations.

Mechanically, the entire fight revolves around where Elegon's health is at. If you were to tame him, it is hard to say what would happen to the encounter. For many tamable bosses, taming them will glitch the encounter and prevent you from leavinf outside of hearthing.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

Um. No offense but

And I am going to leave this right here also:
sen·tient
ˈsen(t)SH(ē)ənt/
adjective
able to perceive or feel things.
synonyms: (capable of) feeling, living, live; conscious, aware, responsive, reactive

That is the definition of being sentient. Which would mean ALL ANIMALS are sentient in one form or another.

We now have mechanicals who are tamable and also as such considered sentient since they are able to have all of the above synonyms.
I'm sorry but I do not feel something being sentient should be a determining factor or not.

I also DO NOT feel dragonkin OF ANY FORM should be tamable. No and no. Mechanical or not.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Sentience is more than the dictionary definition, but the keyword is 'aware'. Dogs and cats feel, but when they look in a mirror at their reflection, they see another animal, not themselves. They lack self-awareness, whereas dragons, by lore, have self awareness and that included cloud serpents, regardless of their classification ingame.

I do agree with the gif. This topic has been done to death.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Then Blizz isn't aware of the definition or have a different idea of it. From what has been seen in WoW, Sentienceis anything capable of human-lvl intelligence or higher. The Sentient Mechanostrider in Gnomeregan talks to you when you first open the door to its room.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

That's also an artificially created being capable of speech. Do you call a Furby self-aware just because it can talk to you?

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

It can talk, but it cannot reason. It has a set amount of responses to certain inputs. The Mechanostrider spoke about his predicament (corrupted programming) and offered a solution without us saying anything. He was able to reason.
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Clouds serpents are not dragons in WOW lore, so they are actually beasts. It isn't far fetched for them to be tamable or at least usable by hunters in the future. and with that, Elegon as Hunter's pet is a possibility.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

True, but they can only be tamed if you raise them from hatchlings. Otherwise, they are far too wild and tempestuous. That is why we don't just get exalted with the Order of the Cloud Serpent and buy one.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

In game types are sometimes assigned arbitrarily. Mimiron, for example, is sometimes flagged mechanical, sometimes flagged a giant. Celestial beings, like Elegon and Algalon, might be constructed, but they're constructed by god like beings out of astral material. That's a long way from a dog-bot that a tinker whips up.

Furthermore, cloud serpents are the game version lung dragons from Asian myths. They're sometimes flagged as beasts, and sometimes flagged as dragonkin (and once flagged as mechanical). IIRC, the reason they were sometimes flagged beast was to differentiate them from the dragonflights which are western dragons. The dungeon journal describes Elegon thus (emphasis mine):
Dedicated to the advancement of their empire, the mogu salvaged and repurposed titan technology to generate untold power in the depths of this ancient complex. Why these energies have been focused into the cold will of a celestial dragon is a mystery that lies at the very heart of the vaults.
I don't think dragons should ever be hunter pets. One of the main qualities of dragons in folklore and mythology is their monstrosity, or their untameability. Usually when they're tamed it's to demonstrate the monstrousness or god-like powers of the being(s) that control them. Whether or not they are sapient doesn't affect my view. There are several pets that are implied or explicitly said to be sapient, like barrens raptors, un'goro gorillas, and silithid brain bugs (ironically, the mantid version of those, kunchong, are not tameable yet).

If there were a "dragon tamer" player class, then Elegon (and other asian dragons) might be appropriate. The only "dragons" that would work as hunter pets would be the tinkered robot "dragonlings", like the MPD or Arcanite Dragonling. (I'd actually love to convert my arcanite dragonling to a mechanical hunter pet, I used the headband I wore all through MC to make the enchanted leather for my arcanite dragonling.)
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Bowno »

Xota wrote:-Snip-
I agree with everything you said here. You've made amazing points and I fully agree.

Siggy under construction!

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Bowno wrote:
Xota wrote:-Snip-
I agree with everything you said here. You've made amazing points and I fully agree.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Elegon as a tamable has been discussed and ended up circling (P.S Elegon is NOT alive/ a living thing, it's a glorified security system) and cloud serpents as Hunter pets have beaten to death.

And Xota :hug: ty

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­