Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Everything Hunter-related, except pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
User avatar
Bheleu
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:03 pm
Realm: Arathor

Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Bheleu » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Class fantasy vs. class reality - my perspective

I’ve been playing wow since just before BC went live. I tried most classes at some point or another, but pretty quickly settled on Hunter because it had a pet and was a ranged spec. Also really loved the idea of having a gun.

For most of WoD there was almost never a day that I would not login for a bit at least to check in on my toons. My current roster is 5 level 100 hunters, 1 level 90 something hunter, level 100 warlock, level 100 rogue.

Since the patch I’ve been on here and there, but don’t really care any more. Might try logging on a few more times and see if I can get into it. Figure I need to see if I can integrate the new ‘class fantasy’. So here is my attempt on the fantasy from the perspective of my main Hunter:

———————————————
So I wake up a few weeks ago after a bender at the local pub. I must have really had too much, because when I woke up I found a polearm with my stuff. Hah hah - someone was playing a joke on me. Roused my pet and went off to fight the good fight in Tanaan Jungle. Got there, got my assignments for the day, went out to face my enemies. Found a pack of demons, went to shoot them and found I didn’t know what to do! It was like I forgot how to shoot a gun! Wow - maybe it wasn’t just the booze at the pub, perhaps a rogue sapped me really really hard!

Left Tannan and was off to find a healer - perhaps that would take care of my problems. Nope - healer said there was nothing wrong with me. Healer suggested I go back to the hunter training academy and speak to a trainer. Found my way to the trainer in Ogrimmar and and told him my problems, “don’t know what happened, been using my gun for almost 10 years, now I can’t figure out what to do!”. “No problem” said the instructor, “let me enroll you in the marksman academy. shouldn’t take too long”. Went through - selected my courses and after training things seemed a bit better - I at least knew how to fire my gun again.

Decided this time I better test my skills against the training dummies before I faced real enemies. Shot a few times, seemed good. Some of my old shots were gone, but had some new ones too - looking good. now lets throw a trap at the dummy! WTF? Where are my traps? Sigh - head back to the trainer. “Trainer - you helped me to use my gun again, but now I’ve forgotten how to use my traps! What’s going on”. “No problem” he says. “Just turn in your gun, and I’ll teach you how to use a spear & traps!”. “Huh?!?” I say. Trainer, “You can’t expect to remember how to use that many different things all at once, do you?”. I tell him, “I’ve been using traps & my gun as long as I can remember!”. “OK”, he says, “I’ve seen a lot of this lately, I suggest you head over to the Valley of Wisdom. There is a special kind of Tauren healer that might be able to help you.”

Fine - so I head to see this healer. He has me lay on a couch and asks what is wrong with me - so I spill my guts to him. Here is my life story:

“10 years ago I started my training as a hunter. Worked my way up through the ranks, finally made it to an advanced level just after the Lich King was defeated. I fought hard and was part of the group that defeated Deathwing. I went on to Pandaria, gained in strength and abilities, and defeated Garrosh. All throughout my career I have gained in strength and knowledge. My strength and accomplishments have led me to be the commander of an entire garrison!

But something happened recently. I have found I can no longer remember how to use some of my skills. when I think back, at one point I had a really cool shot I would use to kill enemies (kill shot), but at some point I forgot how to do that. It bothered me a little, but I was still able to function. But now I find I have forgotten how to use traps, how to hide when out in the wild. I used to run endlessly with my pet by my side as if I was a cheetah, but now I can only run for a short bit before I feel winded and tired and must rest before I can run again.

My soldiers in my garrison used to bring me treasures, gold, weapons, armor from across the continent. But now when I send them on a mission they just screw around for a few hours and then stop by the garrison resource pile and and bring me some resources and say, “see what we brought you!”. Seems like they no longer have any regard for me.

Not just my soldiers in the garrison. Even my trusty pet seems to have lost regard for me. My pet used to snap to attention and fight quickly, defending me against all enemies. Now he’ll sometimes begrudgingly fight one enemy and then come back to me and just sit there while more enemies attack.

I can’t figure out what has happened. Do you have any thoughts?”

The Tauren thinks for a minute, pauses and says, “I know exactly what is wrong with you. You are old. Your strength has left you. your mind is feeble and cannot remember how to do so many things. Your lack of strength has led those in your garrison to ridicule you, they no longer have any respect for you. Same with your pet - why follow a weak leader?”

“Well”, I say, “Is there nothing I can do? I wish to be strong again, to regain what I had”.

Tauren says, “I have three options for you. First, you can pray to the gods to restore your youth, vigor and power. However, I find they are not likely to grant your request. If you wish to pursue this path pray to the god of the winter storms - Blizzard. If you go this route I wish you luck - the gods rarely turn back time….”

“Second - there are rumors of powerful weapons out in the world. Powerful artifacts. You will not have the power back in you, but these artifact weapons may replicate some of the skills you had in your youth. There are also legends about pieces of armor that may help you as well. These legendary items may also help you restore lost skills.”

“Lastly - embrace your age and take a well earned rest. Retire. Hang up your gun, display your armor in your home and have your pet curl up by your fireplace. Go out in the world no longer, and just reminisce about the good old days.”

I leave the Tauren sad and depressed, not sure what I should do, and uncertain about the future. Never been one to have faith in the gods. Shall I accept my situation and rely on magical artifacts to replace some of what I have lost? Or retire gracefully and fight for Azeroth no more?
———————————————

So there is the story of my toon. Seems to fit in with the ‘fantasy’ that Blizzard has written for me. When I come home from a long day of work and want to escape into a fantasy world and kick ass - I can now escape in to a world where I have grown old and weak and nothing seems to work right. Yay?

Bheleu

#wowbrokenarrow

User avatar
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm
Realm: Not playing anymore.
Location: Germany

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Karathyriel » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:05 pm

As much as I agree with you concerning the sudden changes, I think you're making a big mistake in mixing up the lore and the engine.

Yes, hunter underwent some rather strange changes but these are only on the engine side.
All three speccs can still have a pet by their side and all three speccs can use ranged weapons as well as close combat weapons.
Sure, they are less effective if you don't do what Blizz told you but that is why there are three playstyles to choose from.

Do you remember playing a hunter way back in time? You had both, a ranged and a close combat weapon. You did use the ranged weapon while the close combat weapon did nothing but increase your stats. And yes, you did use it when your enemy came close than minimum ranged combat range. This was the first they changed. No minimum range and close combat weapons gone.
We used to have only 3 pet slots and one of them had to be free so you could tame beasts and learn their skills so your pet could learn them too. Remember that?
Remeber when we had one bag less than all the others because we needed a quiver? Remember when you had to feed your pet or else it would do less damage or even run away for ever?
A lot of changes, not all of them lied by everyone but still, all changes in the engine and the engine alone. It doesn't affect the lore of hunters at all, at least if you ask me.

Look at the paladin.
At first, Horde had no paladins. Then came the Blood Elves and along came the horde paladin. And after a while the Tauren joined the Blood Elves in training paladins. But there is one problem: There are only two true paladins in the game: Humans and Dwarves! They have the lore that fits the paladin, believeing in the holy light and what not. The skills the paladins use are just nechanics the engine needs to work properly. Tauren don't have paladins, they have sunwalkers! Tauren who thought it wrong to only use the power of the earthmother through Mu'sha, the moon, the nighttime eye of the earthmother, like the druids did. The get the same power from the same source, only they follow An'she, the sun, the daylight eye of the earthmother.
Blood Elves don't have paladins either. They're called Blood Knights. I'm not familiar with their background but I'm pretty sure they don't believe in the holy light.

Look at the hunters. The Tauren have almost no members of their society that is more honred then the hunters. They provide food and leather and bone and a lot if other materials needed by the Tauren. I'm pretty sure Blood Elves do have hunters for that purpose too but the military side would call them rangers, in my opinion a perfect way to play a reasonable marksman now: No pet but great at tracking and shooting. If you look close enough, you will find any specc of any class somewhere in the lore of one or more of the playable races.

But, and here is the problem, you can't make the Tauren paladin work any different than the Human paladin. And therefore, you can't make hunters or any other class work differently according to the race you have chosen. Try to keep the engine and the fantasy separated and you'll have a much better experience, at least I do. My main now is a Troll hunter. But when I roleplay, in the fanatsy so to speak, he is more like the sinister, stealthy killer roaming the jungles of Stranglethorn Vale. You know that he doesn't like you when one of his arrows comes out of the shadows to end your life.

Apart from that, I made a new Tauren hunter, tamed a Kodo and tried Survival just for the kicks of it... And I LOVE it! It's awesome!
I'm thinking about speccing my main SV too but it would be so cool to have a spear and have the throwing skills actually throw the weapon you use instead of axes and what not.

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Valnaaros » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:15 pm

What Karathyriel said. Just because Blizz has their own few of a classes fantasy, doesn't mean that you have to follow it. If there is a different story you want for your character, or want to RP it a different way, then go for it. Otherwise, you're just limiting yourself.

User avatar
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm
Realm: US - Ysera
Gender: Female playing males and females
Location: My chair

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Rhyela » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:17 am

Echoing what the others have said. I didn't think I'd main my hunter at all come Legion, and was looking at other classes to see what I'd rather play. But I gave SV a chance and am finding it so enjoyable that I think I'll dust Rhyela off and main her once more! Maybe rather than the ending of a book, look at it as the start of a sequel? Or the beginning of another chapter? :lol: I'm not sure what analogy would work. Or maybe you can "retire" that particular hunter and start a new one as a new spec? Try a different faction and/or race? I would at least try to give it a chance before giving up for good. :hug:

Image

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Year of the Unicorn RPG Dice on Kickstarter!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.

User avatar
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:41 am
Gender: Male

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:28 am

Karathyriel wrote:Blood Elves don't have paladins either. They're called Blood Knights. I'm not familiar with their background but I'm pretty sure they don't believe in the holy light.
At the start they where stealing the light from M'uru, a captured naaru, and twisted it and forced it to do work for them. But after the events of the Sunwell they are pretty much real paladins now. If you stay and watch the very long RP cutscene after you finish the Sunwell raid, you'll see how it happened.

As for your problem Bheleu, like others have said, maybe try a new spec or give the new SV a chance, or make a new hunter on the other faction to change it up. Or maybe try a new class just to take a break from playing a hunter and come back when you start to miss the class. Sometimes taking a break helps clear out the mind. What ever you chose, don't throw in the towel too fast.
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2755
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 am
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)
Gender: male
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Sukurachi » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:35 am

Part of the problem here is, no one should have to "try a new spec" when they were perfectly happy with the spec they had before.

A new spec means no more special pets, and that was part of the BM mystique.

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.


User avatar
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:05 am
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere in a cornfield

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Teigan » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:37 am

Bheleu, I read your story and I think it sums it up perfectly. It's Blizzard's much vaunted "class fantasy" as it would really translate. Kind of like those machinimas of "life as an NPC"

I'm still playing my hunters; I'm still having fun. I'm even giving BM another shot. But, unlike removing the need to feed my pet, or having my melee weapon become useless and then vanish, the changes this time were much deeper and impacted, I feel, the core essence of what it is to be a hunter. In some ways, it was good. I think making a melee spec for hunters was a good choice. Sure, it doesn't fit with the idea of what a hunter has always been. But, it's still hunter-y. It's hunter and pet, together against the forces of evil. Or murlocs. There are some things I'd tweak about it, but overall it's good. It's a perfect fit for people (or worgen hehe) who want to go tooth and claw into battle, like my wee lil worgen does. It may help that I spent some time playing a beastlord on EQII, which is a melee pet class. But SV is good.

However, in many ways, (pretty much everything except for SV, really) the changes were not good. By good changes I mean changes make the class more fun or interesting, and fit with what has always been a hunter, which the changes did not. So, not good. Overall, my hunters do feel old, slow and tired. Especially when I am fresh from playing a shiny, fast, insanely mobile demon hunter! (Psst...Blizz....mobility wasn't a limited resource...you didn't have to take it away from everyone else so DH's could have alot...just sayin). I'm confounded by a lack of abilities that I expect to still be there, because some form of them always has been, such as traps.

The changes to BM make it feel like I'm a crazy pet hoarder/doing a pet battle. You've seen stampede now, I assume? So, there's the cartoonish, cringe inducing stampede of pets, plus a dire beast or so, plus Hati when he gets here, and as an afterthought, my pet. *sigh* I did not sign up for that. But I can't have my iconic, beloved spirit beasts and other exotics without all that mess, so, how long can I tolerate the mess? We'll see. I refuse to use stampede and dire beast, despite it not being optimal. There are sort of ok alternatives. But I can't escape Hati...

Oh, by the by, Hati (which obviously, Norse mythology) apparently means "One who hates" or "despiser" I'm not an expert on Norse mythology and this could be wrong. The websites look decent, but there's no telling if they're accurate. However. If it's true, it's darkly amusing. (Skoll apparently means "One who mocks" or "mockery" which anyone who has ever camped him probably thinks fits) http://norse-mythology.org/skoll-hati/ and http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Hati

Anyway. Marksmanship. Well. Rangers are all well and good and I'd like to see a ranger class. Hm, yeah. A ranger class. That's the problem. Rangers, while great, are not hunters. I am aware that you can use a pet in MM, but you really, really shouldn't. Lone Wolf is hands down the best and MM is intended to be a petless class. They are intended to be rangers. I know there are classes with alot of variability, like, say druids. But no matter if you're a bear or tree, you're still a druid.

So, I'm sure this can be torn to shreds and isn't all that well thought out, but here it is. It's only my opinion and I don't insist anyone else needs to share it :)

User avatar
Bheleu
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:03 pm
Realm: Arathor

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Bheleu » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:24 pm

My personal updates and responses:
I'm pretty casual these days, and not big into RP - I have my own 'history' for each of my toons, but don't RP much while playing. My post was mostly out of frustration over the fact that my hunters all lost their spec (SV). Blizzard is the one who brought up class fantasy - this was me trying to explain the stupid engine changes through the lens of the fantasy.

As for the history of hunters, I remember all of those things - but as time went on and they changed I always felt a sense of progression and generally something good. More than 3 pets in the stable - great! don't have to carry ammo - great! Can shoot without range restrictions great! We've lost things too and I rolled with the changes (mana/volley/etc..) Might not always have been happy, but this is the first time I've ever considered unsubbing or quitting the game.

Blizz could have added a 4th spec for melee hunter, but too much work I guess. I'd like to see the forums if someone at Blizz liked the fantasy of Gandalf from the movies fighting close combat with sword and staff, and decided to make one of the Mage specs melee!

At any rate - I've been doing the invasions to see how that goes. I'm playing MM w/ pet (I know - I 'should' be Lone Wolf, gimping my own DPS.) It's merely passable - still feel like my DPS sucks, pet is squishy & stupid, missing all the stuff that has been removed.

Tried BM - just not working for me. Right now I'll pick MM over BM.

SV - might try down the road, but like I said, tried about every class in the game, never liked any melee. The only reason I have a max level rogue is that back in the day I leveled him for "Insane in the Membrane". Getting him to max level each expansion is a chore, he is always last to max level, and mainly for professions.

My next step will be to try my Warlock and see if that is a fun option.

I changed my sub options from 6 months to monthly, and will stayed subbed through the end of September. I have not purchased Legion, and will be busy at launch, so will wait for reviews to come in before I even consider it. Even if it sounds good, I might wait until the first time they offer a sale on the expansion.

Bottom line - Blizzard took a loyal customer who alway pre-purchased, always paid for 6 months or a year at a time, always looked forward to the next expansion, always found something to love in the game, and in one fell swoop turned me into an unhappy customer that may or may not be willing to spend money with them.

Thanks for listening to my rants - I hope things improve for hunters and that I will eventually join you in the fight against the legion!

Bheleu

User avatar
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm
Realm: Not playing anymore.
Location: Germany

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Karathyriel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:34 pm

Bheleu wrote:I'd like to see the forums if someone at Blizz liked the fantasy of Gandalf from the movies fighting close combat with sword and staff, and decided to make one of the Mage specs melee!
Actually, I think that would be a rather fantastic idea!
I see it this way:
A hunter always had a pet fighting melee while he was fighting ranged. The only specc ever to be different was BM who could tame exotic pets... Big deal!
Now all three speccs actually feel different, a great step of progress in my opinion.
Just to remind you: I'm not talking about the actual build being the perfect one. I'm talking about the idea behind it!
Now back to the mages.
No matter what you specc your mage, you're standing in the background, hauling deadly magic over to mobs and bosses.
Does it really matter if you're fighting with blue spells for ice, red spells for fire or pink spells for whatever the other thing is?
But now, finally, a new kid is in town and steps up onto the stage: The Warcaster!
Not only using fierce magic but also weapons and maybe even skills equally effective than the martial arts of the monks.
Stabbing an opponent through with his fiery sword in his right hand while throwing icy spells to freeze reinforcements on the spot before they can enter the fight.
Would that really be wrong? Would that really be bad?
You don't like it? Fine! Don't specc it then!

Thinking about it now, every class should have speccs that make them feel different.

I'm not saying you're wrong with what you feel. I just try to see it from a different angle too.

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Valnaaros » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:55 pm

Most likely, if they did a melee mage it would be called a Battlemage. Also, I believe at some point a while back, Blizz stated they wouldn't ever do Battlemages because of how similar they would feel/look to enhancement. Just like how a ranged Demon Hunger feels/looks like a Warlock.

User avatar
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2755
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:10 am
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)
Gender: male
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Sukurachi » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:52 pm

there's a ranged Demon Hunter?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.


Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Valnaaros » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:00 am

They said that they tossed the idea around during concept design, but it was just too similar to Warlocks.

User avatar
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:05 am
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere in a cornfield

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Teigan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:06 am

Valnaaros wrote:They said that they tossed the idea around during concept design, but it was just too similar to Warlocks.
Not for the first time, does one wonder if Valnaaros is an employee of Activision....

*cough*

Anyway.

@Karathyriel

I agree that in theory that making the three specs feel different was not a horrible idea. In this old of a game, change must happen or it gets stale. However, in practice it didn't work out that well. And "in practice" is what we have to try to play. The problem for me is/has been that there isn't a touchstone of what my class used to be. Nothing is familiar and nothing feels right. I think the reason I feel at least somewhat OK doing SV is due to playing a beastlord in EQII. It shouldn't take having played a certain class in an entirely different game (that is owned by a different company) for a class that I've played since 2008 (2009?...hm, a long time anyway) to feel "right" again.

But I do like your "warcaster" / battlemage. That would be rather fun.

But when the developers decide a class should be radically altered to the degree hunters have to fit their new ideas (or a new dev wants to prove themselves with "groundbreaking" *coughclassbreakingcough* changes)....maybe a 4th spec to either house the radical changes or to preserve the heritage of the class would be in order? Druids say we can have 4 specs, after all, so why not?

Sigrah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:35 am
Realm: Area 52
Gender: Male
Location: Lost in the Twilight Zone
Contact:

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Sigrah » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:48 am

Teigan wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:They said that they tossed the idea around during concept design, but it was just too similar to Warlocks.
Not for the first time, does one wonder if Valnaaros is an employee of Activision....

*cough*

Anyway.

@Karathyriel

I agree that in theory that making the three specs feel different was not a horrible idea. In this old of a game, change must happen or it gets stale. However, in practice it didn't work out that well. And "in practice" is what we have to try to play. The problem for me is/has been that there isn't a touchstone of what my class used to be. Nothing is familiar and nothing feels right. I think the reason I feel at least somewhat OK doing SV is due to playing a beastlord in EQII. It shouldn't take having played a certain class in an entirely different game (that is owned by a different company) for a class that I've played since 2008 (2009?...hm, a long time anyway) to feel "right" again.

But I do like your "warcaster" / battlemage. That would be rather fun.

But when the developers decide a class should be radically altered to the degree hunters have to fit their new ideas (or a new dev wants to prove themselves with "groundbreaking" *coughclassbreakingcough* changes)....maybe a 4th spec to either house the radical changes or to preserve the heritage of the class would be in order? Druids say we can have 4 specs, after all, so why not?
Hehe, I played a Beastlord in EQ2, and in EQ1 way before that. EQ1 is where "Sigrah the Beast" was born one day when he tanked Mithaniel Marr for over half the fight because all the tanks went down, and then they couldn't get aggro again when they were resurrected because their taunt skills weren't maxed out. The guild leader had a *very* long talk with the tanks about the need to max out the "Taunt" skill :)

Anyways, my heart goes out to those of you who find your class(es)/spec(s) aren't appealing to you anymore. Unfortunately, that's what happens with each expansion, though I feel Survival Hunters and Demonology Warlocks got the two biggest changes out of all the spec/class combos out there IMO. But, for those that are disappointed or discouraged about the changes, there are others who love them and are taking to them like duck to a water. I'm in the same boat with various specs/classes myself with that. For now, I'm just trying to be patient and remember things will change with artifact weapons and Level 110, so hopefully things will improve within the next month or two as Legion launches and things start to fall into place :)

User avatar
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 6856
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:13 pm
Realm: US - Ysera
Gender: Female playing males and females
Location: My chair

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Rhyela » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:47 am

I've never been a fan of MM, so for me the MM changes are just like "whatever". I used it to take down Fel Rangari Anaara (or whatever her name is), and haven't touched it since. The spec was okay, but then it's always been just okay to me. Perhaps I'm lucky in that regard. I haven't even tried BM yet but I really think I need to so I can form an opinion of my own. I'm just having so much dang fun with SV that I don't even feel the desire to try anything else at the moment. I do agree that it does seem like none of the three specs are very similar to the hunter class that we've all been so accustomed to for the past 10-ish years. Hunters got changed - a LOT - and I completely understand that it's difficult or frustrating to deal with. I'm just fortunate that I'm loving SV so much. It could have just as easily gone the other way for me, though.

Image

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Year of the Unicorn RPG Dice on Kickstarter!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Valnaaros » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:20 pm

Teigan wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:They said that they tossed the idea around during concept design, but it was just too similar to Warlocks.
Not for the first time, does one wonder if Valnaaros is an employee of Activision....

*cough*

Anyway.

@Karathyriel

I agree that in theory that making the three specs feel different was not a horrible idea. In this old of a game, change must happen or it gets stale. However, in practice it didn't work out that well. And "in practice" is what we have to try to play. The problem for me is/has been that there isn't a touchstone of what my class used to be. Nothing is familiar and nothing feels right. I think the reason I feel at least somewhat OK doing SV is due to playing a beastlord in EQII. It shouldn't take having played a certain class in an entirely different game (that is owned by a different company) for a class that I've played since 2008 (2009?...hm, a long time anyway) to feel "right" again.

But I do like your "warcaster" / battlemage. That would be rather fun.

But when the developers decide a class should be radically altered to the degree hunters have to fit their new ideas (or a new dev wants to prove themselves with "groundbreaking" *coughclassbreakingcough* changes)....maybe a 4th spec to either house the radical changes or to preserve the heritage of the class would be in order? Druids say we can have 4 specs, after all, so why not?
So... Because I read the DH q and a a couple weeks ago, that makes me an Activision employee? Or is it because you don't like my opinion?

At this point, implementing a four spec for the other classes would be too difficult to do/impossible. Why? Because of the Artifacts. They would have to make new Artifact skins and skill trees for 12 new specs. Druids have a fourth spec because bear and cat used to be apart of the same tree. When they refined the trees, they chose to split them into two seperate specs instead of tossing one out.

User avatar
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:05 am
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere in a cornfield

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Teigan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Valnaaros wrote: So... Because I read the DH q and a a couple weeks ago, that makes me an Activision employee? Or is it because you don't like my opinion?

At this point, implementing a four spec for the other classes would be too difficult to do/impossible. Why? Because of the Artifacts. They would have to make new Artifact skins and skill trees for 12 new specs. Druids have a fourth spec because bear and cat used to be apart of the same tree. When they refined the trees, they chose to split them into two seperate specs instead of tossing one out.
It was cause you have ready answers for things. It wasn't an insult :)

And a fourth spec was just a speculation, a "what if"

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3910
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Valnaaros » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Ah, my apologies then :)

A fourth spec would be cool, but I can see all the obstacles Blizz would have to overcome to make it possible.

User avatar
Xella
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 pm
Realm: Skywall-US
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Xella » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:47 am

Ornyx started a thread on the live hunter forums asking for hunter feedback to pass along to the dev team; it may have as little impact as all our beta feedback did (aka: basically none), but I guess hope springs eternal or something? :| It may be worth throwing your two cents in there as well, if you haven't already.

First thread (for the details; it's reached post cap): http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topi ... 917?page=1
Second thread (as of right now, still below post cap so you can post here): http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topi ... 201?page=1
Current main: Basanti-Skywall
Primary hunter: Xella-Proudmoore

User avatar
Bheleu
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:03 pm
Realm: Arathor

Re: Class fantasy vs. class reality (long rant)

Unread post by Bheleu » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:50 pm

Xella wrote:Ornyx started a thread on the live hunter forums asking for hunter feedback to pass along to the dev team; it may have as little impact as all our beta feedback did (aka: basically none), but I guess hope springs eternal or something? :| It may be worth throwing your two cents in there as well, if you haven't already.

First thread (for the details; it's reached post cap): http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topi ... 917?page=1
Second thread (as of right now, still below post cap so you can post here): http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topi ... 201?page=1
Thanks for letting me know. Been pretty busy, and was bummed I missed the first thread. If I get a chance this weekend I might add my input - but it takes me a while to write my "walls of text". Also hard to keep it short and constructive (especially since there are so many things to give feedback on....)

Thanks again!

Bheleu

Post Reply