WoW Classic pets

For discussion while BlizzCon is running. Anything pertinent to WoW will be moved to the appropriate forums after BlizzCon is over.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: WoW Classic pets

Unread post by Vephriel »

Quiv wrote:
Valnaaros wrote:Same. There are a lot of things that I do not like about Classic (having played since launch). I feel that as Classic servers get closer to launching and people start playing them, the rose-tinted glasses will fade away and they'll begin to see just how bad it was in a lot of ways.
I am in 10,000% agreement with this. I know the private servers had their own following, so I don't deny there is some demand for this. However I want Classic to come back and preserve that experience exactly (minus stuff like lag etc). Bring back all the grinds and lose all the quality of life stuff we have come so accustomed to. I just don't think its going to be near as popular (long term) as its being made to be. I'll lose a lot of respect if they compromise and keep stuff like BOA or collections etc. Get those bandages ready boys, we gotta heal during Razorgore again!

What worries me is it is clearly a large endeavor, and I hope resources don't get taken from the main game in order to develop this.
They've stated they're hiring a completely new team for this project, so nothing in the current game will be affected!

(also I'm in agreement, I can't wait for people to realize how terrible it was and take off their rose-coloured glasses :lol: I'm not saying I won't play it but I know what to expect, I feel a lot of people don't remember how many QoL improvements we rely on now. I dabbled in one of the private servers once, just to see the old world again. It's a long, slow, dull drag to level and everything hurts and you feel powerless. It'll be a fun challenge that's for sure, but not something I'll want to spend a lot of time in.)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Vephriel wrote:They've stated they're hiring a completely new team for this project, so nothing in the current game will be affected!
Oh thank goodness. In that case, I say full steam ahead, hope those that are into it have fun!
viaradda

Unread post by viaradda »

Vephriel wrote: They've stated they're hiring a completely new team for this project, so nothing in the current game will be affected!
That's a bit disingenuous.

Hiring a new team costs money. If they weren't doing classic they'd have that money to hire a new team to do something else.

(also I'm in agreement, I can't wait for people to realize how terrible it was and take off their rose-coloured glasses :lol: I'm not saying I won't play it but I know what to expect, I feel a lot of people don't remember how many QoL improvements we rely on now. I dabbled in one of the private servers once, just to see the old world again. It's a long, slow, dull drag to level and everything hurts and you feel powerless. It'll be a fun challenge that's for sure, but not something I'll want to spend a lot of time in.)
Depends how they do it. They were clear that they hadn't decided on a lot of the details. It would take much more effort, but they could end up with something more of a hybrid between vanilla and current. Keep the old world/content/talents/etc while adding QoL/features from the modern game.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Blizz made over one billion in just the last quarter; I doubt money is an issue for them.

Those who were wanting classic servers want the genuine vanilla experience. If Blizz changes it, then it is no longer the vanilla experience. Blizz has even said that they want it as close as possible.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I think I can understand why people are attracted to Vanilla, much as I'm not interested in it myself. People often crave simpler experiences, things they feel they can have more control over because it has less layers of complication and they already know it so well. I think this is the same reason that people romanticize the past in the real world, even though for people living at the time things could be just as complicated or worse.

Current WoW has many functions that have been streamlined and simplified, but it's also a big game with many layers and honestly at times it feels like a lot of work, like a second job. Going back to Vanilla would feel like going back to your childhood, forgetting that both were also full of horrible complications, and lack of control, you've all but forgotten about. But in many ways it'll also feel like a more limited, simpler experience. The game isn't going to grow and change, there's no endless treadmill where you never really beat it. If you stick with Vanilla, at some point you can achieve almost everything you want and feel like you're done, like you've beat the game. I can see the attraction in that.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Bluefire
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Duskwood

Unread post by Bluefire »

Wain wrote:
Xota wrote:I don't think I'd enjoy the graphics level and gameplay now. About the only thing that would get me to go back is if getting mounts there unlocked them for your account, but since mounts were items you carried in your bag, that's unlikely. I'd be in ZG as much as possible, it was my favorite raid, and I never got the mounts for myself.
It would be awesome if we could go to Classic to collect retired mounts that we could then use on our current accounts, even if that's highly unlikely. Mounts in your bags... geez, it's been so long I almost forgot about that. The loss of a lot of conveniences like mount and pet spell books would make Classic hard to return to for me. It's funny how quickly you get used to those things.

Oh my! yes! I started late in vanilla so missed the original mounts and I would die of happyness if I could get them! It's always beena dream of mine to find a way to get them in game again!
Dino
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Dino »

Haha. I do not miss vanilla wow. And I prefer the current game over vanilla. I don't miss the micromanaging of hunters. Hunter was one of the first classes I played, druid being the second. I still have my old hunter with mana gear on her. I don't miss the grinds. Leveling was a pain along with buying everything under the sun for your pet and your character.

I don't know if I will play Classic. Part of me doesn't want to touch it again. I may if I decide to play another class.

Vanilla wasn't a pleasant experience for me.

But to each their own.

Tracking down good pets and praying that someone wasn't there already.

I'm actually waiting to see what the reaction will be on the wow forum for people that had not played vanilla.

My rose tinted glasses broke long ago. xD

I'm looking forward to seeing the different pet quirks again. If they add it. I'm not sure what Blizz will do.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

I highly, highly doubt they would allow us to go to a classic server, get retired mounts, and have them carry over to Live. Aside from the fact that it would make people feel like they would have to play Classic in order to get mounts, pets, or xmogs, it would also take away from those who did get those things when it was current. Not everything should be always obtainable.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Yeah, I don't think anyone here expects they will be. It's just dreaming :)

The original (removed) fast mounts are a bit of a sucky situation, though. At the time it was hard to have more than a few mounts without choking up bag space, and when Blizzard added the new fast mounts they had (from memory) a trade-in scheme and actively encouraged you to give up the old ones and get new. Nobody expected the current system so many years later, where they'd be spellbook collectibles.

If Vanilla is based on a later patch (as is likely) they won't be available anyway.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Oh, I know folks here aren't, but I have read plenty of forum threads on other sites regarding the Classic Servers. Some are hoping for the xmog system to be implemented, balancing for all classes/specs, xmogs and mounts earned on Classic Servers to be exported to the current servers, etc.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Hahaha. It’s like demanding a house in the forest and then crying for a Starbucks next door :)

Also just discovered that inserting emojis in posts causes an error :p. Really must work on getting the board upgraded.
Qraljar
Pet Finder
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Unread post by Qraljar »

Yeah, I started in TBC and while TBC is not Vanilla, it's close enough I feel, in most ways (aside from bugs)

And I personally wouldn't want to ever play TBC again. Aside from the fact that a stagnating/timecapsule game isn't appealing to me to begin with, I'm far too used to the quality of live improvements, new player models, new mounts, new pets and the many stable slots, to ever want to go back to that time period.

That said, I would probably make a character if it happened to be that you could get Naxxramas 60 gear on there and it would be shared to your entire account and therefore usable on your Legion/BfA characters. But that would ruin the "authentic" experiene, so I doubt it.
Kunchong for hunter pets!

Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

I stumbled upon this video tonight and wanted to share it with the community: https://youtu.be/42Wacqcs3J4.

While this does not represent the entirety of pets made available back in vanilla WoW, it certainly does a good job of highlighting what basic pet skills were available and where to obtain them.

And just in case anyone forgot how pet loyalty and pet skills worked back in the day, there's this video to help refresh your memory: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LnNnNkiV9KE. :lol: No thank you!
Last edited by Niabi on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sweet, thanks :)
Niabi
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Greymane-H, Rexxar-A, Staghelm-A/H, Nesingwary-A/H

Unread post by Niabi »

Your welcome Wain. I had a feeling the information provided in the first video would be very useful for the site :D

Come visit my lovely garden of dragons over at
Flight Rising

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I have been in conversation with Mania about finding old copies of the database. Anything pre-Cata is probably close (at least for the 0-60 pets), since most Vanilla pets were removed around then. We'll see what we can do. I'm also tempted to restore the old site look for the Classic version of the site :)
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Reading forum posts about which version of Vanilla is the right version, and folks wanting a "remastered" Vanilla, has been very interesting. I hope Mr. Brack knows the can of worms he opened :lol:

On topic: I would love to see all the old pet stuff again. More for curiosity reasons, like walking through a museum.
viaradda

Unread post by viaradda »

Quiv wrote:Reading forum posts about which version of Vanilla is the right version, and folks wanting a "remastered" Vanilla, has been very interesting. I hope Mr. Brack knows the can of worms he opened :lol:
They are going to have to remaster it to some extent. They need to make it work with modern OSs/hardware, and they already said they are going to fix exploits/major bugs.

And they are at least open to things beyond that, which is why they said they are going to be listening to the community to see what we want.

Balance is a big issue, especially for raids. As a general rule if your class could heal you were a healer. And if you wanted to tank, you played a Warrior. And many DPS spec were simply not viable. Anything depending on DoTs, for example, was a nonstarter due to the debuff limit and/or the DoTs just sucking *cough*Lacerate*cough*.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Quiv »

Which begs the question, which version of vanilla is correct? I didn't think people wanted classic with "improvements", I thought they wanted classic vanilla as it was, questionable designs and all. However this is the back and forth, and since I'm not in that camp I can't speak for it. The problem is, I don't think a single "camp" that speaks for what players want. If the threads I've checked out are any indication, there is little agreement on what classic should look like.

I want to see it as it was, not improved. Fix the bugs, and stuff like if the old API opens up exploits, fix that stuff sure. But keep the design and gameplay decisions intact. IIRC Paladins didn't have taunt and Druids didn't have a resurrect. The DoT thing you mentioned. Do we all remember things like pet food managements, arrows, soul stones, ankhs, candles, feathers, and all the other things you had to carry in your 16 slot bags leaving you with 4 slots of stuff to loot with? For better or worse, that was vanilla, and in my opinion should be kept intact.

I'm not the target audience, so I'm not worried either way. Just interesting to consider. Regardless which direction they go, I imagine its going to be polarizing.
Valfreya
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind, Blackrock

Unread post by Valfreya »

Oh I just thought of something, so back in vanilla the ZG bat was the fastest attack speed pet we could get. I wonder if they are going to return ZG to its former glory, which might bring back the ZG tiger.... Oh man, how cool would that be. I would level a toon on there to raid ZG again.