Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculation]

For discussion while BlizzCon is running. Anything pertinent to WoW will be moved to the appropriate forums after BlizzCon is over.
User avatar
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2040
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:53 am
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn
Gender: Female

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Krysteena » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:37 am

While I'm a little disappointed to hear that there won't be any racial mounts for the new races, it does make sense because a lot of the mounts that would fit that race are already attainable in the game anyway.

I will keep my fingers crossed that they change their minds, though :) mainly because I'm holding out for an armoured moose, but that's not the point

User avatar
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 am

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by pop » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:50 am

Kayro wrote:While I'm a little disappointed to hear that there won't be any racial mounts for the new races, it does make sense because a lot of the mounts that would fit that race are already attainable in the game anyway.

I will keep my fingers crossed that they change their minds, though :) mainly because I'm holding out for an armoured moose, but that's not the point
It would mean for the Nightborne to have to settle with Dragonhawks instead of Manasabres as mounts and Void Elves get cat.

But of course, I would use my First Arcanist Cat if I roll a Nightborne, and I would use Nightmare if I ever roll a Void Elf. But I love how Gara matches with Void Elf so much, so we'll see.

User avatar
Qraljar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1758
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:21 pm
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU
Gender: Male

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Qraljar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:37 am

pop wrote:
Kayro wrote:While I'm a little disappointed to hear that there won't be any racial mounts for the new races, it does make sense because a lot of the mounts that would fit that race are already attainable in the game anyway.

I will keep my fingers crossed that they change their minds, though :) mainly because I'm holding out for an armoured moose, but that's not the point
It would mean for the Nightborne to have to settle with Dragonhawks instead of Manasabres as mounts and Void Elves get cat.

But of course, I would use my First Arcanist Cat if I roll a Nightborne, and I would use Nightmare if I ever roll a Void Elf. But I love how Gara matches with Void Elf so much, so we'll see.
Oh, good that you brought up the Nightmare. That can be a good fit for the Void Elves.

So if they don't give any allied racial mounts, there's a list of obtainable mounts that fit pretty great.

Nightborne - Arcanist's Manasaber/Mystic Runesaber
Lightforged Draenei - Lightforged Warframe/Blessed & Avenging Felcrushers (Holy Elekk)
Dark Iron Dwarves - Core Hound (WoW anniversary Molten Core)
Void Elves - Lucid Nightmare
Highmountain Tauren - Any of the available Highmountain moose mounts
Zandalari Trolls - Armored Skyscreamer/Direhorn mounts/one of the undoubtedly many dino mounts to come next expansion

Not all of these are easy to get, or even still available, but if you have them, they make for great combinations, I'd say.

Still wish the addition of Highmountain Tauren would have finally led to eagle mounts, though.
Image
Kunchong for hunter pets!


Thanks to Moonlost for the awesome avatar!

User avatar
GormanGhaste
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 4964
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:00 pm
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by GormanGhaste » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:56 am

Lucid Nightmare is a great ground mount for void elves! I think a lot of mounts can work for both new elf races. Ideas for void elf flying mounts:
  • Celestial Steed
  • Mystic Runesaber
  • Purple Netherwing Drake
  • Dark Phoenix
  • Astral Cloud Serpent
  • Heavenly Onyx Cloud Serpent
Image

User avatar
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 am

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by pop » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:06 am

Qraljar wrote:
pop wrote:
Kayro wrote:While I'm a little disappointed to hear that there won't be any racial mounts for the new races, it does make sense because a lot of the mounts that would fit that race are already attainable in the game anyway.

I will keep my fingers crossed that they change their minds, though :) mainly because I'm holding out for an armoured moose, but that's not the point
It would mean for the Nightborne to have to settle with Dragonhawks instead of Manasabres as mounts and Void Elves get cat.

But of course, I would use my First Arcanist Cat if I roll a Nightborne, and I would use Nightmare if I ever roll a Void Elf. But I love how Gara matches with Void Elf so much, so we'll see.
Oh, good that you brought up the Nightmare. That can be a good fit for the Void Elves.

So if they don't give any allied racial mounts, there's a list of obtainable mounts that fit pretty great.

Nightborne - Arcanist's Manasaber/Mystic Runesaber
Lightforged Draenei - Lightforged Warframe/Blessed & Avenging Felcrushers (Holy Elekk)
Dark Iron Dwarves - Core Hound (WoW anniversary Molten Core)
Void Elves - Lucid Nightmare
Highmountain Tauren - Any of the available Highmountain moose mounts
Zandalari Trolls - Armored Skyscreamer/Direhorn mounts/one of the undoubtedly many dino mounts to come next expansion

Not all of these are easy to get, or even still available, but if you have them, they make for great combinations, I'd say.

Still wish the addition of Highmountain Tauren would have finally led to eagle mounts, though.
Great list!

I would also add the fiery molten horse from recruit a friend as a very fitting mount for Dark Iron. And also I almost forgot about Void Wing and Shadow Phoenix ; Those are very fitting for Void Elves too!

and Of course don't forget Arcane Hippogriffs for Nightborns!

For Highmountain, I'm just happy I have the Grovewarden XD

User avatar
Myzou
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 pm
Realm: Proudmoore

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Myzou » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Something I haven't seen mentioned:

I think it'd be neat if like Gnomes and Goblins with Mechanical pets, Zandalari Trolls were capable of taming Direhorns without the need for the item, and their starting pet was a direhorn.

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3845
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Valnaaros » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Either that or one of the new dinos. Our Zandalaris will be young "recruits', so it is up in the air if they would know how to tame direhorns or have a lot of experience with them.

User avatar
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 am

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by pop » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:21 am

Myzou wrote:Something I haven't seen mentioned:

I think it'd be neat if like Gnomes and Goblins with Mechanical pets, Zandalari Trolls were capable of taming Direhorns without the need for the item, and their starting pet was a direhorn.
lol it's in the op :P

User avatar
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 am

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by pop » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GifahTVQhbs

void warpstalker for void elves. and they also get void chicken as mount XD

User avatar
Wain
The Insane
The Insane
Posts: 11762
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am
Gender: Male

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Wain » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:07 pm

It's odd that the nightborne starting pet is a manasaber since they're currently exotic spirit beasts and so are restricted to BM on live. That was my only concern with the suggestion that they should give core hounds to dark iron dwarves, so maybe it won't be an issue.

I'm still hoping (and I know this is contentious) that they abolish the Exotic category entirely (and instead allow BM to just get more out of any pet family), and maybe this is a sign that this is happening in 8.0.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.

User avatar
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2040
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:53 am
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn
Gender: Female

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Krysteena » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 pm

I would like if they did get rid of the BM 'exotic' tag on pets/wouldn't be bothered if they did, but at the same time I would understand, and be fine, if they didn't. A problem I could see with Nightborne having an exotic pet right off the bat would be that, if you wanted to change spec, you'd be missing a pet until you got around to taming another one. Not a huge deal overall, but having to play BM for however long it would take to get access to a non-BM pet could be an annoyance, especially for those who really don't like the BM spec.

Also, I did notice the Voidstalker for Void Elves which looks absolutely amazing - and I love the stark white eyes it has. If Blizzard would like to throw that onto a beast so other hunters could get it, that would be dandy. Not a huge loss if they didn't, but definitely a plus if they did :)

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3845
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Valnaaros » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:18 pm

It is possible that this Mana Saber is an exception. That it isn't a Spirit Beast, but just a normal cat. Would allow low Lvl Nightborne to switch specs without having to lose it.

For VEs, part of me hopes that they keep the Voidstalker just as the starting pet for VEs. Would give them something unique that others Hunters don't have.

User avatar
Myzou
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 pm
Realm: Proudmoore

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Myzou » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Doubtful. One of the reasons they announced the mecha bond matrix so quickly was because people were complaining gnome hunters got a unique starting pet.

The idea behind starting pets isn't for them to be unique.

On top of that, it'd mean if you race changed to one of the races with a unique pet, you'd be shit out of luck, even though you were now that race.

I imagine this just means we'll get voidstalkers as tameable and possibly mana sabers being added to the cat family rather than spirit beast, if they keep exotic.

User avatar
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 1933
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 am

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by pop » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:24 am

Wain wrote:It's odd that the nightborne starting pet is a manasaber since they're currently exotic spirit beasts and so are restricted to BM on live. That was my only concern with the suggestion that they should give core hounds to dark iron dwarves, so maybe it won't be an issue.

I'm still hoping (and I know this is contentious) that they abolish the Exotic category entirely (and instead allow BM to just get more out of any pet family), and maybe this is a sign that this is happening in 8.0.
I actually had hoped that the Nightbornes get Manawyrms while Void Elves get a fox that changes into shadowform in combat, just like the minipet.

User avatar
Myzou
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 pm
Realm: Proudmoore

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Myzou » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:09 am

I'm kinda surprised nightborne don't have owlkittens (and start with the ability to tame feathermanes) considering suramar is flooded with owlkittens. WAY moreso than manasabers. Even an owl would work, as it's what the nightborne hunters in suramar city use.

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3845
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Valnaaros » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:58 am

Whilst there is more Owlcats in Suramar, you never see the Nightborne using them (as far as I can recall). They breed Manasaberd as both domestic pets and hunting companions. Dame goes for Owls.

User avatar
Wain
The Insane
The Insane
Posts: 11762
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am
Gender: Male

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Wain » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:32 am

Yeah, it seems like manasabers are really their thing. The use of (what is usually) an exotic is still a bit of a surprise but it’s quite possible these are special exemptions. But I’m still hoping the exotic restriction is being revised completely.

I’m surprised HMTs don’t get a moose. They should have a moose everything.

I’m hoping Dark Irons get the new-model (diemetradon) incendosaur.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.

Valnaaros
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Posts: 3845
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:16 pm
Realm: Shadow Council
Gender: Male

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Valnaaros » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 am

With HMTs, it makes sense that they are getting eagles. The Skymane Tribe is the most notable group of Hunters in Highmountain, and they all use eagles.

User avatar
Wain
The Insane
The Insane
Posts: 11762
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am
Gender: Male

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Wain » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:48 am

Valnaaros wrote:With HMTs, it makes sense that they are getting eagles. The Skymane Tribe is the most notable group of Hunters in Highmountain, and they all use eagles.
Yeah. Actually I think it’d be great for personalisation if every race got to choose from, say, three different starting pets for their hunter. But that would probably require a recode of the character creation interface, so probably not going to happen.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.

User avatar
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Posts: 2040
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:53 am
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn
Gender: Female

Re: Ally races and starting hunter pets and mounts [speculat

Unread post by Krysteena » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Oh, I do like that idea, Wain :) That way there's a little variety when you get a starting pet, and it's not necessarily a 'you get this pet, have at thee' sort of thing :') not saying it should be done, because that it a lot of coding, but definitely a nice quality-of-life to have :)

Locked