Lv 70 is a wonderful thing.

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
gaghiel
Realm: Doomhammer

Lv 70 is a wonderful thing.

Unread post by gaghiel »

Finally made my way into Northrend and got me a Jormungar. Decided to let good ol' Tyranitar take a break while I went out and tried my hand at Tenacity again.

At first I was kinda frustrated because for all his tanking prowess, the worm lost health faster than my Devilsaur did. But that seems to be a byproduct of not having a heal based on damage dealt. However, my Mend pet now heals for almost double what it used to and I can typically out Healing DPS with my mend pet a group of 3-5 guys and even normal elites. So, I have rediscovered my love of Tenacity. Plus, the worm's thunderstomp is like 10 times bigger than my armored boars was. Does it change in scale based on the size of the pet? One thing I noticed is that worms don't use charge very well at all. So I'm thinking of re-specking that out of him. He'll be fine without it I'm sure.

I've been gathering up myself a slew of haste gear too so I can go back and tame The Beast and whatever Kings I happen to find. We tried taming the Ancient Core Hounds in Molten Core when I was 67 but that didn't end well at all. I'm hoping to go a round with The Beast pretty soon though. Is there a health minimum recommendation for him? I think I'm getting a handle on the haste gear/food/potion end of things, its more a "Will I survive getting Nommed?" question now.
Saturo

Re: Lv 70 is a wonderful thing.

Unread post by Saturo »

[...] the worm's thunderstomp is like 10 times bigger than my armored boars was. Does it change in scale based on the size of the pet?
Yup.
Good luck with Beast and the Kings!

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

gaghiel wrote: "Will I survive getting Nommed?"
At level 70 it will be tough in my opinion. The Beast hits extremely hard. So far he was my absolute hardest tame. He hits like a level 74, fears you, kicks you, knockbacks and spits fire balls at you. Stock up on anything and everything haste. Stamina is going to be a big one and a good healer. But you also may get lucky and he may be a piece of cake and you won't need much or all of the above. It's best to be prepared though. :lol:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

gaghiel

Unread post by gaghiel »

Round one of about 1.5 hours attempting to tame him was a bust. We're gonna try again tomorrow when I have another level under my belt and some more buffs. Speed Potions are a pain 5g a piece, but Ive been stocking up on them. I had him within 2 seconds, and those potions would have made the difference.

I saw in one guide that said he would lose aggro if you ran out of the room, but we discovered that he will chase you, even when the walls would not let him follow. I had considered trapping him outside a hallway while I tamed but to no avail. If there was a hole I could trap him in I would do it, but so far, I haven't found any.

Im calling round 1 on his side. Round 2 should be better. I'll have more support and more HPs. I'll get it done yet. *shudder*
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Aw I am sorry to hear you didnt get him, but persistence will pay off! He is actually one of the hardest tames out there.. I actually tried on Sasrei solo but to no avail.. I tamed King Mosh and King Dred solo many times but the beast is still kicking my butt so I was more then happy when King Krush came to me instead ^.^ But my brother wants him on Inaric soooo Ill be trying to get him. She's lvl 73 right now so I guess I may need to grab some more haste and stamina gear. Ill need them anyways since I plan on taming King Krush on her right when she dings 75. But good luck on taming the kings and the beast, they truly are the hardest tames now so I hope you can get him today.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Mobs will always find a way to path to you, they do not take into account sizing restrictions. Evasion can occur if you get onto an isolated height from them, but along the same ground they'll follow you through the tiniest doorways or the thinnest ledges.

You won't lose The Beast's aggro by just running out of his room, however if you keep the other people in your group behind that wall out of his line of sight he's less likely to aggro to them. If there is anyone else in the room The Beast will often randomly swap targets, and if he does this while you're taming it will break the tame. It's best to have your healers stay behind the wall and just pop out to throw a heal every now and then.

I've heard dropping a Snake Trap will slow his casting speed from the poison, so you can try that.

The only way to drop aggro is for you to feign death, but if your helpers have thrown out a heal or anything he'll charge them next.

Keep trying, it's definitely a frustrating tame but so worth it once it succeeds. You just have to wait for luck to kick in. :)
zedxrgal

Veph is totally right. I was level 80 when I just tamed him, geared to the nines and he still kicked my ass as if I was a level 64.

The snake trap does help a little. Tested by me. :lol:

You need to put yourself in the corner where the haystack is and stay there. When I did this it took 25 - 30 attempts before he was tamed. I had a pally with me that did a type of small heal that picked my health up quick but didn't pull aggro. Yes you're going to go through haste pots like mad but I doubt the tame can even be completed without them.

I had potion of speed, haste elixirs, baked manta ray, a trinket and haste gear on and that only got my tame time to 12 seconds. That still isn't fast enough. :lol: But persistence pays off.

Stamina is also your friend.

Self made macros are also very important.

I swear it feels like it took me the longest out of anyone on here to finally tame him. May not be true but that's what it feels like. But being VERY persistent has paid off and I finally got him.

Victorelle
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg (US)

Unread post by Victorelle »

Good luck! I was never a huge fan of Core Hounds so I hope you get him! :D
gaghiel

Unread post by gaghiel »

I've got a Resto Druid and a Pally helping me. I'm gonna try to grab a priest for round 2 as well. I've found that if they drop every buff and DoT heal on me right before I shoot off my Scorpid Sting, and then start the tame I can survive through about 3-4 attempts before I go down. Mana is my biggest enemy for repeat attempts.

We've been trying it where noone does any actual healing while I am taming, but they stand nearby enough so that I can get auras. As long as they dont do anything, the beast typically leaves them alone. If I die, we reset and start fresh again.

One other big annoyance is when it goes back in its hole, we have to shoot it to lure it out and then run back to the corner again and it throws off all my timing. I'll try the snake trap thing. Its tough to get it to actually trip a trap since its so big but its base isnt.
zedxrgal

Leave aspect of the viper on and that will help keep your mana up as long as someone is healing you.

My healer, the pally, stayed close enough to heal me but far enough that he wasn't in Beast's aggro range. He stood just inside the stake fence along the wall.

It's much easier to have them res you or you FD then to reset. Just stay behind the haystack and wait for him. You don't really want to risk losing aggro in any way. In my many attempts I've found once he's aggroed a person the he seems to not forget and will go for them the second they're near whether they've touched him or not. So you should be the only person to lay a hand, or arrow, on him. He'll come out. Just be patient and wait.

Another option is turn on aspect of the cheetah race from behind the haystack, not to far, tag him then race back and hit aspect of the viper and taming macro.

But really the best bet is to wait till he decided to walk his room and then pop him.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

That cave of his was the biggest annoyance! :lol: I swear...he'd just sit in there, pacing around. Every time I thought he was about to come out he'd turn around and go back to pacing.

Then if I went to approach the cave to check on him he'd come charging out and catch me by surprise. I could almost swear there's some sort of trip wire right in front of it that makes him run out. xD

His patrols are rather terrifying as well. Sometimes he'll just slowly walk out and go around the room there, and other times he runs out and just starts coming down upon you out of nowhere.
gaghiel

Unread post by gaghiel »

Yeah, Im gonna stack up on the healer types and brute force him next go I believe. See if I cant get 2 paladins a priest and a druid. Then we'll see how he takes it. :P I got 2 levels today so Im up to 72. Now if only I could get the gear to support my level I'd be set. Ah well. The joys of leveling.