Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

For discussion of the current WoW expansion, including pets, Alpha and Beta information, anything!
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Re: Shadowlands Alpha/Beta Beast Thread

Unread post by Xota »

I get that a lot of people want to be dragon tamers, and there are npcs with dragons, and mounts, and some dragons aren't that unconquerable in the game. And there's now Lung that can be pets :roll: in addition to chimeara and hydra. There are old threads about this, so I won't go into it much here, and I'm not going to argue now. What I say won't change any pro-dragon tamer's mind, and what anyone here has to say won't change mine, on whether or not they should be tameable. And I'm not trying to change any developer's mind, so there's no need to get heated about this. My purpose here is to explain -why- I think they're untameable, because I don't think the "sentience" factor has much to do with it at all.
Dragons, as a concept, are not tameable. It's one of the defining characteristics. When they are in folklore, they're wild, and most fiction, taming dragons is the exception proving the rule. Even in warcraft lore, red dragons were _unwilling_slaves_ of the dragonmaw. Dragons are not in the same class as piggies, which making them hunter pets would be. Tameable dragons would be spectacle creep / "badass decay".
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Gurubashi

Unread post by worgpower »

Well, everyone wants to tame a dragon, what’s holding people from wanting one is the lore about them, most dragons are sentient, many main characters are drakes, I understand that, I’m happy that we got cloud serpents, which are dragons, but beasts in wow, we’ve got chromaggus too, which is a core hound drake mix, we’ve got lots of dragon-like tameable beasts, hopefully we’ll get our soul eaters soon, they’re the beasts closest to a dragon we can ever get, and btw, where’s my beefy gorm, I want one
Bambu
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Shu'halo/Eitrigg

Unread post by Bambu »

worgpower wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:16 amWell, elegon and the mechanostrider are made to serve a purpose, they are constructs, not real creatures so that’s why blizzard made them tameable
That makes sense I guess. What's the source on the sentience thing anyway? Is this a harkness test sorta thing or did Blizz make a statement at some point?

Also, we're talking proto-drakes, not dragons, xota. Dragons should never be tameable, they're basically people or above them in Warcraft. Proto-drakes are primitive animals the titans used to make the aspects and flights. None have ever shown intelligence in-game. We hunt them in Sholazar with Nesingwary after-all. .-.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

I'm not arguing this, if you want to pretend I didn't say exactly what I said, do so, just don't try to engage me about it please.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Bambu wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:28 pm
worgpower wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:16 amWell, elegon and the mechanostrider are made to serve a purpose, they are constructs, not real creatures so that’s why blizzard made them tameable
That makes sense I guess. What's the source on the sentience thing anyway? Is this a harkness test sorta thing or did Blizz make a statement at some point?

Also, we're talking proto-drakes, not dragons, xota. Dragons should never be tameable, they're basically people or above them in Warcraft. Proto-drakes are primitive animals the titans used to make the aspects and flights. None have ever shown intelligence in-game. We hunt them in Sholazar with Nesingwary after-all. .-.
Whether or not we hunt something doesn't reflect on their intelligence. We hunt Yetis and they have been shown to be very intelligence and have developed a religion.

Here is a quote from Wowpedia regarding Cloud Serpents: "The origin of the cloud serpents is unknown. They are, however, not part of the "whole Aspects scene"[5] and are not really related to the classic Azerothian dragonflights."
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

We’ve had this discussion of dragons and sentience many times now. Maybe we could get back to the main topic of beasts in Shadowlands. :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Wain wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:09 am We’ve had this discussion of dragons and sentience many times now. Maybe we could get back to the main topic of beasts in Shadowlands. :)
Yeah, same feeling, but I wanted to say most of the owlsteeds got renamed to more fitting names, they are on wowhead, and has anyone checked if there are more beasts tameable or new beasts with special effects
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

worgpower wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:48 am
Wain wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:09 am We’ve had this discussion of dragons and sentience many times now. Maybe we could get back to the main topic of beasts in Shadowlands. :)
Yeah, same feeling, but I wanted to say most of the owlsteeds got renamed to more fitting names, they are on wowhead, and has anyone checked if there are more beasts tameable or new beasts with special effects
I've updated the name of them. They should soon be updated on the main Petopia site.

Aside from the name changes, nothing was made tamable or added in the most recent build.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Sorry I haven’t updated the database for about a week now, because fixing Warcraft Mounts to work after Blizzard API changes became an urgent priority. But our hard-working team haven’t stopped while I’ve been absent, so here are lots of changes and additions to be uploaded. I’m back on Petopia stuff now and will update the database tomorrow, after I finish adding the appearances for the phantasmal mammoth and ephemeral runner. The latter is harder to simulate than I expected. I actually fell asleep in the middle of it and decided to drag myself to bed. Just posting this before I fall asleep again.
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

All good
Talihawk
Petopia Artist
Realm: Dalaran

Unread post by Talihawk »

Thanks for all your hard work on both sites!!
worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Keep up the good work wain! I am still trying to think of names for a bear and gargon duo, I thought I’m going to get a bear and a gargon with the same color schemes and make them buddies, Gargon are literally bears with bigger hands and a face like an orc, but I refer to them as darkbears, thicc dogs, or joe Swanson bears because I remember earlier someone stated they look like they’re voiced by Patrick warburton
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Unread post by WerebearGuy »

Wowhead has another two nightmare spiders known. https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=165 ... -nightmare https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=169 ... -nightmare
Can someone with beta access check them? They're in Ardenweald.

My Flight Rising lair

Times banned from World of Warcraft: 1
Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

worgpower
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

WerebearGuy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:42 pm Wowhead has another two nightmare spiders known. https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=165 ... -nightmare https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=169 ... -nightmare
I want a nightmare spider so badly, even though I’m not a huge fan of spiders, I hope we will be able to tame a nightmare roc aswell, been wanting one since forever
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

WerebearGuy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:42 pm Wowhead has another two nightmare spiders known. https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=165 ... -nightmare https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=169 ... -nightmare
They are known and will be added to the website soon. :)
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

Are they known? I've not seen anyone post screenshots showing nightmare spider pets.

My Flight Rising lair

Reason for ban: Reporting an item duplication exploit with Pet Battles I accidentally found during Mists of Pandaria. 3 week duration.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

WerebearGuy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:22 pm Are they known? I've not seen anyone post screenshots showing nightmare spider pets.
Aroim posted a picture of them quite a few weeks ago.
WerebearGuy
Pet Finder

I must've missed it then. Still, at least those aren't bugged like the Emerald Nightmare ones.

EDIT: Yeah, I can't find any post with that spider shown.

My Flight Rising lair

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

WerebearGuy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:11 pm I must've missed it then. Still, at least those aren't bugged like the Emerald Nightmare ones.

EDIT: Yeah, I can't find any post with that spider shown.
Aroim definitely posted them somewhere. But Aroim is such a prolific finder of cool things it might have been easy to miss them :)

The nightmare spiders are both transparent and I thought I had them up for a while, but maybe I just added them in today's update:
https://www.wow-petopia.com/look.php?id ... ransparent
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

The database has been updated finally, by the way! Everything should be current with the latest finds.

In sadder news, the only known purple mawrat is now untameable because her level is too high (and she's elite).