Sheldon, the color-changing turtle!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rhyela
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: US - Ysera

Sheldon, the color-changing turtle!

Unread post by Rhyela »

Well...not really. What happened is that I keep taming different turtle skins and after a while, something about them just starts to bug me. My first Sheldon was Gamooh-ra (probably misspelled that) from BFD. He's the reddish-brown turtle with the "black" shell. That is, til I got him out in normal daylight. The "black" shell seemed instead this dingy dusty color, like year-old soot left in the bottom of a fireplace. So, I released him and picked up a turtle from Dustwallow Marsh. These are the gray ones with the green shell and purple highlights. I really liked this new Sheldon for a while, til just recently when I picked up some gear upgrades. I liked the gray skin, I liked the purple eyes and highlights, but again...it was that dang shell that bothered me. It wasn't green like it looked in pictures, it's this grayish, washed-out green, reminiscient of a sock worn too many times. Sooo, released Sheldon Jr. out into the wild and last night I picked up a green turtle from the rivers of Hillsbrad Foothills. I think finally I may have found my final incarnation (is that the right word? :? ) of Sheldon. His green flesh matches my loverly green hair, and his golden shell doesn't seem to look as washed-out and dingy as the other turtles so far.

So, I was wondering, has anyone else done this?; tamed a certain pet skin, then decide you don't like it and tame another? I've done this three times now with Sheldon, and by that third time last night felt a bit silly or nitpicky. I guess I just like a pet whose color doesn't clash with my own. ;)

Edit: that reminds me, I gotta update my avatar AGAIN.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Telsek
Realm: Khaz Modan

Re: Sheldon, the color-changing turtle!

Unread post by Telsek »

I can absolutely relate to this. Like you, I've tamed several turtle skins as well as wolves, cats, spiders and hyenas. The majority of these tames happened before they changed new pets to automatically "age" to five levels below your current level. So, I spent a lot of time levelling pets only to try something else a few months/weeks later.
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

Unread post by kairii »

yeah i was like that with the worgs i tamed teh black (as in it stays BLACK) and then like 2 month later i hated it so i went for a white one then brown then omg it got out of hand o.O even with my nether ray it went from purple to red purple to red for weeks

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

The closest I've come is not liking one pet family one one hunter, but enjoying the same type of pet on a completely different hunter. I think that has more to do with the hunter's personality than the skin, though.

~VelkynKarma

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

VelkynKarma wrote:The closest I've come is not liking one pet family one one hunter, but enjoying the same type of pet on a completely different hunter. I think that has more to do with the hunter's personality than the skin, though.
Ooh, so much this. ^

I'm shocked at how much of a character's personality reveals itself when I find myself taming pets that I never would have looked at before. On my Orc and Troll hunters I've done this a few times - gone for a pet because it was just screaming to be tamed by that character in particular. And I love them. xD
Luci
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Luci »

I've done the same thing with bears, cats, and wolves. I tend to get bored with looking at the same skins and like to change things up. I do have pets that I would never change for sentimental reasons, but all the others could be switched up at any moment.
Jeauno
Realm: Moon Guard (US)

Unread post by Jeauno »

I constantly do this with the lynx in Eversong. =/ Red or brown? Brown or red? I can never decide?!

Meichelle (85) Moon Guard (US)

Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

Totally understand this. Over the years, I've tamed every color of turtle wanting so desperately to find a combo that fits me. Way... WAY back in "nilla", I was one of the first alliance on my server to tame the turtles at Stagnant Oasis (Barrens). I named him Ninja. I saw Gahmoora from BFD and "upgraded" to him (at the time, it was also the only way to learn a higher rank of "Bite"). I learned about the albino turtles of the sand flats and snagged me yet another Ninja. After a while of him, I learned about King Bang's speed increase (able to chase down people on mounts) and stayed with him for a bit. Then they killed King Bang's speed and I quit playing hunters for a while. When I came back, I learned about the boars "charge" skill and grabbed one of the RFK boars.

I have, over the years, tried to go back and retame turtles (and crabs) to try to get me another Ninja, but there's just something about them asthetically that seemed lack luster. At the beginning, it was so new and different, but now it sorta fades back behind the shinier pets that have come out since. I hope one day we'll get upgraded skins for turtles (I'm thinking spiked shells and razor beaks like the ones in WC3) and the ninja will rise again!!!!

If we ever get the ability to tame one of every pet in game, I'll collect them all. The limited pet rule needs to be abolished!!!!
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Now that my Tauren hunter is starting to get some miles on her, I'm noticing that it does depend on the character. I hated bats, until I tamed one with her, as a temp pet. Now, I love that stupid bat. It's back feet are still ugly, but it's grown on me. But still wouldn't have it on my dwarf. Also, the ghostsaber never seemed right with my Tauren and I only kept it a few days. But on my dwarf, I love that cat! Funny how that works.
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

It's only natural.

Most of the time, your toons (and of course their companion) are what you are looking at while playing, right?
So, even if you like fish filet and you like chocolate sauce, you'd never put them together, would you?

It's the same with hunters and their pets. The have to match. I still have that Eversong-lynx on my blood elf hunter I tamed on level 10, I couldn't even think about playing a dwarf hunter wothout a bear on his side, I never liked crocolisks but couldn't even imagine my troll hunter without it anymore. On another realm, I have another troll and he is accompanied by a hyena. Wouldn't even think about switching to a croc there.

You have some ideas about your character, unless you don't care and just go for easy leveling and DPS. But if you did, you weren't here, right?

They have to fit and create the right "taste" for your eyes and your brain, that's all.

Although I gotta admit that turtles never were an option with me. I thought the same about those undead skinned pets or bats until I saw undead hunters appear on the horizon and it somehow isn't so impossible anymore.
Azzrazzah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary is the Shizznit,

Unread post by Azzrazzah »

The heart's got to have what the heart wants

I Came...I Saw...I Tamed

Skyshot
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank US

Unread post by Skyshot »

I did the same thing when I decided to tame a wolf a long while back. I went from white to grey then to the gold. I finally fell in love with the black wolf skin and named my buddy Chogan (which is apparently a native american name meaning "back bird"). I also did the same today when I decided to level a bat to 80. I went from the dark red to the albino skin. I settled on the black-ish-purple skin and named him Belfry. =)

<My whelps - My Dragons>
"It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept."
-Calvin and Hobbes

Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

Lol yes, ive tammed every wolf skin, every cat skin, and tried all the hyena skins, warpstalkers too but they only come in 2 available ones.
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
sargeaw
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Norgannon

Unread post by sargeaw »

I just did this Last night. I was all excited because I hit lvl 62 and finally had 51 points in BM so I could get exotics. I imediately returned to Ungoro to get me a devilsaur. At first I got the plain white one, but I didnt like the eyes that much. Then I saw the Ironhide Elite roming around about an hour later. So Now Ive got Louie (like the Budwiser lizard lol) (also I had a pet Chamelon of the same name) the Black Devilsaur to run through the rest of outland with me. I love the blue eyed black skin much better personally. Anywho I can totally understand releasing a pet as you lvl up and find new skins that catch your eye. It wouldnt be an issue if they gave us more stable slots lol. 8-)