85 hunter with no pet!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Hello

85 hunter with no pet!

Unread post by Hello »

Alright, so after leveling my first hunter to 70 in BC, I was crazy and decided to see if I could get to 70 on another hunter, without a pet. Then it continued to 80 in WotLK, and finally 85 in Cataclysm, and after a while I finally gathered myself up and finished it, and today I dinged 85. It was very interesting, and when I finally did get a pet today, which was actually Olm the Wise (I found him and couldn't resist), by that time I had learned so much more about kiting and fighting melee as a hunter than you'd imagine. I was Survival of course, and I used my traps much more frequently than other hunters I'd seen.
I really don't want to brag, but I think I can say that I'm really good at PvP as a hunter now after this. Maybe you could try this sometime when you're bored.
Tsiya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Re: 85 hunter with no pet!

Unread post by Tsiya »

Sounds interesting! I can imagine you'd be a pro kiter by now.

My pets - My companions

Sig by Sookie!

Kuraine
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood EU

Unread post by Kuraine »

Sounds like an interesting thing to do, especially seeing as it taught you something. Not something I'd want to try myself though, the urge to tame a pet after so long would kill me. :P

Ex-WoW player since 24-09-11. It's time to move on now. GW2, here I come.
The Stables - 110 Mounts

Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

yar.... if i saw a spirit beast ooooooo i would totally loose it
and you arent the only one how uses traps i keep them on cooldown in duneons i like the extra damage helps my 24-26k hehe....
beast mastery traps arent as good but they still make an impact if you place them before the pull
(example on a boss shoot your fire/snake traps inches in front of them.... if they a moving boss i just keep trap launcher up till tank pulls and then fire trap as is does more damage than snake trap)

signature thanks to Kurieno
Miyon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Currently on hiatus

Unread post by Miyon »

Now that actually sounds like a fun and Interesting challenge :)
Definitely something I could try with my still unplayed lvl 1 Phobia :d
Since main theme will be pets I can't stand, it should go ok delaying taming something until 85. So what do you do about the starter pet? Stable it as soon as possible? :p

Pokemon X/Y FC: 1779-1244-0605

Dolias
Realm: Thrall

Unread post by Dolias »

i had a friend who did the same back in BC
at 70 she still didn't even use a pet

she was pretty amazing at multi tasking
The Lone Hunter
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

sound very intresting but the urge to tame a pet would get to me pretty fast i would imagen

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

you could always still tame pets, and maybe pull them out to show when you're in the city, but then when you go off into a dungeon or quest or whatever, put them away

If you still come across Arcturis, flip to your BM taming spec, tame him, then dismiss. Easy as that.

Achievement for leveling without pets still granted :)
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Ashaine
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Silver Hand (H) Scarlet Crusade (A)

Unread post by Ashaine »

Tsiya wrote:Sounds interesting! I can imagine you'd be a pro kiter by now.
A very curious experiment indeed! I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience. As in what you learned, what you liked most and least, etc. :D

Ashaine Silverfel - <Dreadblade Assassins> - Silver Hand US - Faileas#1676
Deviantart | Facebook | Signature Shop | Flight Rising
"Not all who wander are lost."

Guildmaster • Hunter-Friendly RP Guild • Always Recruiting! • PM me!

Shirubia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Quel'thalas

Unread post by Shirubia »

This somehow reminded me to the ''nekkid troll project'', a troll hunter who leveled to 70... naked (save for bow and jewlery).
Still, grats on doing it. Im a sucker for pets so I would have lost it to the first cat I saw xD
Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Unread post by Litlemouse »

Ooh this looks fun :D I don't know if I could withstand taming pets though, so I think imma have a pet, but instead maybe fight melee :P that'd be interesting as well what say? ^_^

Avari
Realm: Silver Hand

Unread post by Avari »

Litlemouse wrote:Ooh this looks fun :D I don't know if I could withstand taming pets though, so I think imma have a pet, but instead maybe fight melee :P that'd be interesting as well what say? ^_^
I conquer! I find this project intriguing!

Dark Ranger Avari Stormrunner

Hello

Unread post by Hello »

Ashaine wrote:A very curious experiment indeed! I'd be interested in hearing more about your experience. As in what you learned, what you liked most and least, etc. :D
Well, most of the time I kited with concussion shot etc of course, but there were those times when I back into a corner or there are other creatures all around and I don't want to aggro them, and at that point I melee. I normally use a raptor strike/wingclip macro I have and then run through them, repeat, drop traps, stuff like that. I also don't do many dungeons, at all. You'd actually probably be surprised how well I can melee at this point, I've got gear for it as well, but in dungeons it's always "What the fel hunter fighting melee (sometimes) with no pet?!" I've gotten more dungeon kicks than you'd expect, so I lay back on dungeons most of the time.
PvP is also very interesting, but in that respect it works out much better for me than dungeons do. I can do what I please, and only rarely will somebody comment, as they're usually getting smacked around by the rogue over there. Also it's hilarious when I go over to a mage and start fighting melee, sometimes they are confused, and often Frost Nova and run away a bit, but then I just say "Ok no melee, *shoot shoot shoot* *traps traps*" And now I finally got myself a pet, plus I have a bunch of honor points stacked up, I got some PvP gear and I'm doing ever better. I still suck in dungeons though, they usually resent the way I sometimes melee now and then when it arises. If they looked at their DPS chart they'd see I was actually doing pretty good. Not beating that rogue or warrior in melee DPS of course, but hey I'm not that terrible, not when I'm prepared for it.
So it was sort of like no pet/melee fighting combo, although yes I kited a lot in PvP, mostly if it was a melee class like paladin/warrior etc.
Serendipity82
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Staghelm

Unread post by Serendipity82 »

Heh..I have a level 6 hunter on Nesingwary that I had rolled before all hunters started with a pet. She hasn't been given a pet either, so she'll have to wait til level 10. I'm seriously considering keeping her petless after reading this however >_>
Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

I made a belf hunter for the melee thing just now on Nesingwary... can invite to guild? ^_^
her name is Hordemouse >.> haha
EDIT: In :)

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I have my pets picked out before my hunter is even created. There's no way I could go 10 levels without a pet, let alone 85. :lol:

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe the challenge is to level without one out. I am sure you could tame pets along the ways, rares or w/e, but the challenge would remain the same if you simply did not use them. Seems win/win for those wanting to do the challenge yet be able to tame to :D
Holgarr
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US - Alliance

Unread post by Holgarr »

What you're describing, reminds me of one thing - the D&D Ranger. You've come as close as possible, I think, to that playstyle.

Nice work.
Image Image
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

I'd be getting killed by critters if I tried this... I can't brag that my pet and my kiting has saved me (and sometimes, the entire group) from wiping in a dungeon because a lot of people have done so but this... this would shoot me in the kneecaps.
e-e

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter