Anyone else disappointed by the new 4.2 rares?

Read-only since Patch 4.2 is now live.
Alleryn
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Anyone else disappointed by the new 4.2 rares?

Unread post by Alleryn »

I was so excited when I saw that Blizzard was finally catering to the hunter need for challenging pets. Finally, a taming challenge beyond camping a spot for a week waiting for a spawn! :D

Then I started exploring the forums here and realized the pets are three BM-only pets (including two recolors of an already existing spirit beast) and FIVE stone-fire spiders. Words can't express how disappointed I was.

I was just wondering if anyone else was disappointed as well, or if maybe I was just expecting too much?
Shirubia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Quel'thalas

Re: Anyone else disappointed by the new 4.2 rares?

Unread post by Shirubia »

I think everyone will be dissapointed, some more and some less, but everyone will be since it's IMPOSSIBLE to make all the players happy.

Personally, while I am dissapointed at the lack of species variety, Im not dissapointed in the taming challeges or in the spirit beasts, yes, they might be recolors of Gondria, but I still love them. Im a cat lover and a Spirit beast collector.
As for the spiders, ok, one rare for every spider skin color, even the ones that the commons have? I don't really care, since the only fire spider skin I wanted was made tameable and that will save me 4 stable spaces, since there are 4 spider skins I don't want ;D

In conclussion, I could say that Im well served. A bit dissapointed, but still well served.
Kyria
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord & Nesingwary

Unread post by Kyria »

I'm slightly disappointed that there aren't more species to play with, but overall glad of the attention we're being paid here. We still got what we were promised, which is eight new rares that have some sort of taming challenge involved, and I love those challenges, even if mostly they aren't much trouble. They give the pets personality before they're ever tamed. Plus, you know, Ban'thalos is shiny. I admit my weakness!

Thanks to Vephriel for the beautiful signature! <3
Dragon Cave!

Demonwolf
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: kael'thas

Unread post by Demonwolf »

ya im not too happy about TWO gondria skins, new ones at least. id LOVE if they possibly made a spirit crock or even a hydralisk ? >.>
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

They're not recolors--please remember before you say you're disappointed, and before you call these recolors:

We already had these skins in the database, unavailable for taming. Someone at Blizz is both making these skins finally available to tame AS WELL AS trying out a new sort of taming. These beasts are specifically for hunters, and are an actual challenge!!

I'm not disappointed, I'm impressed and pleased :)
Demonwolf
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: kael'thas

Unread post by Demonwolf »

yes ive seen them. they look cool, i just wish that instead of more spirit cats, maybe another type of spirit animal?
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Just you and everyone else who voiced complaints on the patch boards. ;)

Lighthearted joking aside, I'll admit I was a little surprised - not disappointed - by the spiders. They were a family in need of some love and I do appreciate the new skins, even though I rarely use spiders at all anymore, and I love the fact that they found a way to implement all of the colors so no one would feel left out, as it were. As for the spectral cats, those two skins are both very, very nice on their own and I know quite a few people who are very happy to have them in game, even if I don't play BM much anymore - and the owl is very, very nice-looking in game, too, come to think of it. I don't really play the game well enough to pull off some of the trickier tames, but I too am pleased and impressed by the challenges presented.

I think the biggest issue for me is people wanting totally new things and being upset when it seems like such an easy thing to do. Creating new skins down to the animations takes a lot of work, even if it's just a transparent skin or some shiny effects. It's less work on the artists' shoulders(which is always always a welcome thing, as I have discovered, and I don't work nearly as hard as Blizzard does) to take skins that are already made and wanted by the community than it is to create brand new mobs. I agree with a lot of the ideas proposed on the threads lately - reskinned 'corrupted Loque' and spirit crocs/rhinos/whatever else - and would love to see them in the future, but it is a lot of work and considering how much has been packed into this patch already, I can't help but be content with what we have.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Lotusii
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary/Argent Dawn

Unread post by Lotusii »

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one disappointed in Blizzard when it came to this. I know that they can't make absolutely new skins for everything rare so I understand that. However, I can't help but be disappointed in this. There are so many things they could have done with this to make it fun and interesting but they hyped and just disappointed.

Oh boy! Another Olm and two more Gondrias oh look! Spiders! As far as I am concerned this is just awful. Five spiders? Really? There are a ton of unused and untameable skins that could have been used. I would have been pleased if they just had more variety.
Sig by the AMAZING Sookie.
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Lotusii wrote:Oh boy! Another Olm and two more Gondrias oh look! Spiders! As far as I am concerned this is just awful. Five spiders? Really? There are a ton of unused and untameable skins that could have been used instead. I don't think I'm expecting to much at all. I would have been pleased if they just had more variety in the pets.
The good thing about this is that there's always next time. It may be Gondrias and Olms for now, but I would assume they're doing what they can to put those skins people want in game eventually. I understand what you're saying completely, the 3 SBs 5 spiders doesn't really do anything for me either, but we're likely to get the other skins people may want more later on(like that golden saber cat, come to think of it).

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

My opinion is stated elsewhere, but I just wanted to thank everyone for keeping this thread polite and constructive. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

I'm disappointed, but at least I don't have to go out and tame all 8.

I don't like that there's 3 spirit beasts, though, 2 of which I'm not even interested in (a plus, though). I'm definitely getting the Owl. I'm going to skip on the Gondria look alikes (and just because the model was in the database, doesn't separate the fact that it is a recolor).

The spiders, though. I'm not feeling all of them. Or rather, I'm not pleased that they are all spiders. That's just a little too much. I am going to go out and tame the blue/purple on my Blood Elf, and maybe go out and tame the green one on my Orc. The others I'm going to skip.

They should've made those worms tamable. You know they're going to. Hopefully the inclusion of the hydra family will pleased a lot of people. The problem I see with these 8 beasts is that there isn't a little something for everyone. You either love SB or spiders or cunning or BM or you don't.

Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Loki »

There's always the hope that the two common spider skins will be replaced with other models later on (they did say eight unique pets).

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

Well I actually really like the SBs so them I dont mind whatsoever, five spiders not so sure about I mean its great for those who love spiders but there are alot of people who actually kinda freak out about spiders. I know alot of people in game who arent spider fans (me including, I like some of them but just having spider beside me makes me go EEEEEE) and spiders have the most love actually out of all the pet families they are the ones with the second most diversity with 5 different types now.

I kinda would have loved to see that fire scorpion implemented as a rare. I mean its not like we havent tamed druid types before and heck we get a druid flying mount essentially. I just would have really liked it as I really beating on druids just to see the skin.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

Sookie
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Arthas

Unread post by Sookie »

Honestly I think the probably was that they got everyone's hopes up.

You can't say 'Hey hunters you get 8 new sparkly things, they're hard to tame, and new different things to look at!!'

...and then more than half of them are different colors of a common-available skin (and from a not-so-popular family - spiders)
...and the others are a rework or an owl & TWO reworks of a cat that we already had

I'm not complaining,but maybe next time they can just not say anything like that if they don't want the backlash lol? If anything, just let us know they are keeping us in mind, and they can release stuff like this without us thinking it will be as good as jesus come back to earth with tamable spirit beasts of every family, hydras, worgen, and druids all tamable in every color and skin (okay exaggeration but I think you know what I mean).

Every hunter update leaves the community saying 'they should have given us <insert sparkly animal> instead' when we should really be happy we get anything at all. They are doing these updates purely for visual effect & personal enjoyment, it has nothing to do with the gameplay at all. I'm just so grateful the pet hunting & collection community is being so publicly noted and represented, that these things are happening at all. It is more than I could hope for :)
Kalliope wrote:My opinion is stated elsewhere, but I just wanted to thank everyone for keeping this thread polite and constructive. :)
You're such a sweetheart :)
Congafury
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill

Unread post by Congafury »

I might sound weird, but I think the hunter community is just spoiled now, seriously, remember a year ago, you woul all kill to tame a ghost wolf, you'd dream to have all available in the database skins to be implemented, you get almost Everything from the list and still post you're disappointed?! 8 new colors! 8!!! It's a lot! They didn't have to implement them, but they did.. This is just so ungrateful. I'd be offended if I were a developer:(

And I personally want to thank the developers team for paying so much attention to hunter pets lately! A huge THANK YOU!
Don't panic!
Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Kikanu »

I respect the developers for these, but here's my list of pros and cons;

Pros;
- Adventures just to tame them
- Rewards players who actually tame them
- most will kill any griefers near-instantly (except the swimming lava one and the owl)

Cons;
- nothing unique other than the owl, which is still an owl with just a fancier glow.
- FIVE spiders. Granted one is unique, it's still just a spider. Purple would've fit very well as a spirit beast considering the harsh contrast.
- Challenges are not really challenges, just mechanics to work around.
- Flying really high (similar to TLPD)
- be nude x2
- freeze it to near-death
- don't get hit while taming (Green spider)
- weaken a bloody raid boss to little hp (purple spider)
- need a daily to find one (just like Jadefang, how original)
- swim in lava to avoid a deadly net

They probably put effort into these to give hunters something to work for, but only the purple spider, both gondrias, and the owl will really show as a victory. Can the common color spiders and make something more fun. Skitterflame (the freeze to death one) could be replaced by a fierce flaming nether ray, Solix could have been a shale spider made of obsidian and lava, Kirix can be replaced by the blue demon dog skeleton, and Anthriss would have been an amazing fire silithid, or even just a regular antlion like the first boss of AQ20.

I rate these eight as a whole with a 20/100. Owl looks like it took effort to make, the rest just colorful recolors (yes, recolors. It looks like Gondria, and it's a different color.) or copy-pastes.
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
Sonam
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Sonam »

I'm always excited about new pets, even when its just an unused skin. So much so that I maniacally check the boards to see if anyone has discovered anything for me to delight in. I ruv 'em all, even when its just a 'recolor'. Also, I think the majority of folks understand that the skins were in the database and just unused. Most are using recolor as in the fact that its another color of something we already have (although now that I think about it, vibrant blue apples would rock.) :).

I'd like to thank those responsible for the changes, but to also note that nobody should be getting super spiteful toward those that aren't satisfied. After all...if we'd all been satisfied with what was on our plate in the first place, they wouldn't have known about many of the new pets we've gained over time as it is. Unless I'm wrong, hasn't our voiced desires brought about quite a few of them, from the Lurker noticing? I think being insatiable with pets (or our hunters overall) is sort of what defines us, we're always going to want more, always going to look for whats on the horizon. Doesn't mean we aren't grateful. <3

Basically, just try to enjoy it, and respect the opinions of everyone...even if they aren't in line with yours. Our colorful new friends will be welcomed with open arms all the same, even if we're a bit grumpy about it.
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

I thought the Gondria ones were kind of odd to add, since I never see any hunters with Gondria anyways D:

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

Aeladrine wrote:I really love a lot of these pets, including the blue!Gondria and the purple!spider. Both of those will get tamed on my main, even if I ave to run down a herd of buffalo to get them.

I understand why people are upset, and I think that Gimlion has worded it perfectly.

I'd like to point out one thing that I'm not sure many people know about. My mom works in software development, so I know what it can be like when there's a release. She tends to work 15+ hour days around then. Sometimes she works all day, comes home to shower, and goes back in.

Now, lets compare my mom's job to that of the employees of Blizzard. My mom has about... two or three releases a year. Blizz? Hahano. Every patch is a release. Every Tuesday more work is implemented. My mom's company works with the military. That's a lot of people, but the work is spread out over numerous companies. Blizz? Works with the world and only has itself.

Now, things minght not happen exactly as we hope, and the things that are put in, be they skins or mechanics or whathaveyou, may not quite be what we expected. But Blizzard and Noah have both listened to us and given us much that we have asked for, even within these eight. Lots of people have been asking for those skins, both here and on the official forums. Maybe not recently, since we found the green!olm, but I've seen it pretty much constantly. True, people ask for zombie!bear more. Maybe he'll get put in later! And how many of you will complain then?

My point is that no one who works at Blizzard is lazy, no matter how much we might wish to be able to call them that. Anyone who was lazy would have been fired long ago. Lazy is not doing anything towards what you said would be in that patch. Blizzard runs out of time, yes. Sometimes they promise more than they can deliver. That's human. It's a company made up of people. It's normal.

So I'd appreciate it if people would sit and think for just a moment about what lazy really is. You have the right to be dissapointed. I am a little bit, too. Using the word "lazy", however, is hostile, deragatory, and rude.

And none of us are hostile, deragatory, or rude, are we? ;D
Quoted over from a different thread. Not that anyone has said anything about laziness here, but I thought it was something most people don't know/think about. Also, people calling Blizz lazy makes me sad. :C
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Not to sound mean but do we really need a second thread for this? We already have 5 different threads if not more explaining this.....><;

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine