Exotic Pets in the Distance

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Sonam
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Exotic Pets in the Distance

Unread post by Sonam »

To keep the creative juices flowing, I'd like to bring up something I've been thinking of lately...I'm sure its been brought up before, but yeah. Probably the most exciting thing from this expansion thus far for me, has been the Shale Spiders. Weird right? I prefer BM, and I've always gazed longingly at the wording of the Talent "Beast Mastery" itself. You've become so great at taming beasts, that you can handle exotic pets. Having a creature very much uncommon in its make up, the Shale Spiders joined the Spirit Beasts in being actually way unique amongst their legions of furry/scaly friends. Ghosts and Elementals, as pets! Though obviously classified as beasts for mechanic reasons, they're a bit different than a worg or plainstrider. (Magical anatomies, and whatnot)

To the point, I was wondering what unnatural pets the rest of the hunters would be interested in gaining access to. With enough creativity, I'm fairly certain the dev's could swing just about anything our way, the sky's the limit. Machines? More literal elementals? Other creature types I haven't listed? The removal of happiness pushes this idea further...but what would you want, barring the restriction of beast only?

I apologize if I'm confusing, I just got home from work, and I'm confusing to begin with. :ugeek:
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Re: Exotic Pets in the Distance

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I know a lot of people here will agree with you, and I hope they chime in to brainstorm with you. But while I'm not going to be upset if they have more non-beast pets (and I do have some myself), it's not an idea this BM hunter is fond of:

I like having weird beasts like sporebats and ravagers. I'm especially fond of non-traditional combat pets like insects. I like exotic mythical beasts like chimaeras and wind serpents. But they still feel like animals to me. I am less fond of core hounds, spirit beasts and shale spiders because they Don't seem like beasts. For me that's what the hunter class is, is a bond with an animal. If it's a bond with a demon, undead, or elemental, it seems like a different class.
Jaraii
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Jaraii »

I'm a bit on both of your sides. While granted I understand being bonded with animalistic beasts symbolizes hunters, it is associated with all the specs. On the other hand I love that with beast mastery we can tame things of animal mind, no matter their physical makeup, because they are still a beast inside. As such I use my specs very differently when it comes to what pets I take along. I still take pets to cover buffs/debuffs, but in beast mastery I take more exciting and visually striking pets.

On topic: While I would enjoy being able to tame hydras, there are very few new species I think could really add to the game. On the other hand what I would like to see them integrate would be updated models on all the old pets. In example: things like the 2D ridge running down chimaera's backs. Then more pets of every flavor would be visually appealing. I know that personally I hate the disappointment of taming a cool pet, and later getting tired of a broken animation or really low res skin that makes it look more like some 80's arcade game target then a beast at your side.
I know why I'm smiling, but why is everyone else??

Shirubia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Quel'thalas

Unread post by Shirubia »

I still think we should be able to tame hippogryphs or something else... like Wolpetingers or the Tikbalangs Griftah mentions...
And sharks, ground hovering air resistant sharks.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Shirubia wrote:I think we should be able to tame something like Wolpertingers.
These would be perfect for the alliance Twilight Highlands dailies: a hunter pet you can only use when drunk! :)
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Shirubia wrote:I still think we should be able to tame hippogryphs or something else... like Wolpetingers or the Tikbalangs Griftah mentions...
WTB whale sharks. I seriously want one so badly, so I can summon it in a raid and have it flopping in the middle of the room and have people yell at me "What the heck! I can't see anything!"
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Sonam wrote: Having a creature very much uncommon in its make up, the Shale Spiders joined the Spirit Beasts
Erm, you know that shale spiders are their own family and not spirit beasts, right? If you don't mean the spirit beast exotic family then I apologize, but you capitalized it and shale spiders so it looks like you mean that shale spiders are part of the spirit beast family. :?

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Sonam wrote: Having a creature very much uncommon in its make up, the Shale Spiders joined the Spirit Beasts in being actually way unique. Ghosts and Elementals, as pets!
Erm, you know that shale spiders are their own family and not spirit beasts, right? If you don't mean the spirit beast exotic family then I apologize, but you capitalized it and shale spiders so it looks like you mean that shale spiders are part of the spirit beast family. :?
(Added back in more of his quote.) He meant they were joined in being uniquely non-animal hunter pets, not in being the same family.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I was tired when I said that and it didn't read right to me, especially because of the way he was the words capitalized. /shrug
Carry on.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Calomel »

Shirubia wrote:I still think we should be able to tame hippogryphs or something else... like Wolpetingers or the Tikbalangs Griftah mentions...
Starving Amphibious Sharks :headbang:

I'd name mine Larry.

:mrgreen:

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

gigandetsgirl
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Onyxia, Kalecgos, and Blood Furnace

Unread post by gigandetsgirl »

I know it probably wouldn't make for a very good fighter, but I have always longed to tame a horse!

Thank you so much Litlemouse for my amazing signature! :hug:

<The Dawntreaders>
Constantyne Whitnee
Bastienne, Costin, and Willoe

Cialbi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Cenarion Circle (US-Alliance)

Unread post by Cialbi »

Calomel wrote:

I'd name mine Larry.

This! I imagined that Larry would look like those two-legged, fire-breathing lizard things from Legend of Zelda; two legs for propulsion, and a very heavy tail dragging on the ground to offset the weight of the beast's head.

I wonder if I can find a pic online...

EDIT: Close enough
AKA Nazthandol, in <Petopians> (US)

Cute doesn't need an explanation.
_____

Avatar by LupisDarkmoon, and image caption by Kurasu. Thanks!

Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

Calomel wrote:

I'd name mine Larry.

Oh, that reminds me. I need to get a vanilla skinned lion and run around with Scratchfever. C;

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Heleos
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by Heleos »

2 words: DRAGON WHELPS!!!!
Heleos
Night Elf Hunter
Medivh- US
Lycanthrope
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Sisters of Elune, Cenarion Circle, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Lycanthrope »

Don't you mean a http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&secti ... k#/d2ve730 ?
Tashi
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Tashi »

The Unearthed Fossil in southern Tanaris.
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=9397#comments
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Harpier wrote:
Calomel wrote:

I'd name mine Larry.

Oh, that reminds me. I need to get a vanilla skinned lion and run around with Scratchfever. C;
Been there, done that. Got him on at least three hunters, and he chills with my friend's hunter as well. He gets around.

I know it'd never happen by I'd love to see mechanical pets - wolves, devilsaurs, birds, whatever. I mean, steampunk anything is going to be badass. Plus the idea of tanking things with a turtle made of titansteel = awesome.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Nubhorns wrote:I know it'd never happen but I'd love to see mechanical pets - wolves, devilsaurs, birds, whatever. I mean, steampunk anything is going to be badass. Plus the idea of tanking things with a turtle made of titansteel = awesome.
*whistles innocently whilst backpedaling furiously* That Does sound awesome...hunters can be engineers, so it's perfectly justifiable, right?
Shirubia
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Quel'thalas

Unread post by Shirubia »

Heleos wrote:2 words: DRAGON WHELPS!!!!
Not possible, dragons are intelligent beings, more than the playable classes in the game
Lycanthrope wrote:
Don't you mean a http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&secti ... k#/d2ve730 ?
Aritria
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H/A)

Unread post by Aritria »

gigandetsgirl wrote:I know it probably wouldn't make for a very good fighter, but I have always longed to tame a horse!
Me too! I love horses so much, and to have one as a pet would be awesome. I see those Chestnuts in Hillsbrad, and I'm all like, "HGGGNNNGG, why can't I tame you?! Why does only the Alliance have you?"
Aritria's Adventures in Azeroth or Otherwise

"A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song." - Lou Holtz

Sigs by the beautiful, talented Serenith, Kurenio, and Nili. Rock on, guys!
Avatars by Serenith, Sarah of Soaked, and other avatar artists.

The Pride of Nesingwary
Aritria, the Mother
Killasandra, the Daughter | Alessira, the Sister Adopted | Filomena, the Lover