How do you name a beast that was named before taming?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

How do you name pets that were named before taming?

Choose the EXACT same name as before
2%
Choose a similar name (Dethtilac for Deth'tilac)
2%
Choose a name you think up
59%
Depends on the pet
36%

Total votes: 44

Harvoc
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank

How do you name a beast that was named before taming?

Unread post by Harvoc »

All of my pets are ones that before I tamed them, had unique names. After I tame them, I keep the same names as before because it feels awkward to me to change their name. Plus it makes it easier for me to remember the taming experience when I can associate it with an NPC. I was wondering if there were any other people who named their pets like me.
Last edited by Harvoc on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: How do you name a beast that was named before taming?

Unread post by Kalliope »

Need a fourth option: "Depends on the pet." ;)

*hugs Chitter and Chatter*

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Typically, I give them unique names, and justify them as not being the actual rare. Take my King Krush, for example. He isn't actually the real mob, but rather Krush's son, Prince Bayne.

Loque ended up becoming a daughter of Loque and Har'koa, named Artemis.
Bonita
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind (A), Nesingwary (H),

Unread post by Bonita »

For me it depends on what that pet is. My Sian I named after my rl kitty. My Jadefang has kept her name because I liked the name and felt it suited her.

Sig made by Iggypuff
Credit to Sookie, Kurenio, Thorka and Karin for the amazing sigs they made me and Kurenio, Thorka and Seilahyn for the awesome avatars.
Flight Rising!

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

My pets get names after I bond with them. Normally they are japanese based names(yes I know...). So if I don't bond with them they stay cat or raptor until I set them free. I took an entire week for old dart to get his name.

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

I never name my pets after the actual rare - I've always seen it as sort of inconsiderate for those hunting the same critter. I don't do a lot of pet naming myself...I usually ask my friends for suggestions, which is how I wound up with so many food-related names. :P I don't have a theme, I just pick what suits the pet, generally, even if it means waiting a few days.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Azunara wrote:Typically, I give them unique names, and justify them as not being the actual rare. Take my King Krush, for example. He isn't actually the real mob, but rather Krush's son, Prince Bayne.

Loque ended up becoming a daughter of Loque and Har'koa, named Artemis.
Yes. I love "reinventing" rares to suite my own RP backdrop... virtually always ending up nothing like the actual creature.

(In my case Loque became Raiju, former pet of Raiden the Japanese thunder god... but said kitty was spending too much time snoozing around the celestial palace and so was sent down to the mortal realms to get exercise by assisting my hunter Khitsune, who couldn't seem to get out of her own way (also as a small nose tweak to Amaterasu Omikami, who locked Khitsune into her humanoid form in the first place, but that's another story...))
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I don't treat them any differently than tames from non-named npcs. While I can see where you are coming from, I find it much more fun to find a great unique name for all my pets.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Since my main stable has a FF7 theme for naming, I can't really keep the names of the original mobs. So for me its not really an issue.
However I do have a hunter in the petopia guild who does tame rares and keeps the rare names tha same...excluding Humar, whom I named Angel after my cat who had died a few days before I tamed him. He was a black fluffy kitty.
Another hunter of mine only tames pets that look like pokemon and then names them after the pokemon. Rare or random mobs alike.
And yet another hunter of mine, Darknation, names all his pets 'Dark___' like Darkstalker, Darkheart, etc. (also, all the pets are black or dark in color)

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If it's an RP reason you feel you should keep the name, consider (i) the pet isn't sentient and doesn't call itself anything, so whatever name it's given must just be what some local who saw it called it and your name for it is just as perfectly valid, and (ii) your toon, stumbling upon this beast in the wild, probably wouldn't even know the name someone else gave it, as it's not like they'd actually have their name floating above their head :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

As all my hunters have naming themes for their pets, with the exception of one gorgeous little spider who doesn't fit the bill (not given the rare's name though), I never name my pet after the rare. What people do with theirs is not my problem however, except I do snigger whenever I see a Loque being roleplayed as the actual spirit beast mate of Har'koa.
Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

Unread post by Nightsights »

if the pet has a cool ability in the wild, like my ghostcrawler = NerfBat, and my terrorpene = BurninHatred.

or a neat look, like sambas = BlueEyes, oil covered wolf = pigpen.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

For me its mostly whatever I think clicks. A few rares I named before I tamed actually, like Sambas I had picked the name Mathias out long before I tamed him.

And I do enjoy bringing back old names I loved but the pet didnt work out

ie brown madexx Alucard is turning into Skarr

Though I think when I tamed Solix he's keeping the name cause.. I <3 that name ^.^

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Unread post by pengupuff »

I give my pets unique names, although I don't imagine them to be different entities after they're tamed. When they were wild they may have been called one thing, but now that I've tamed them it's an entirely different chapter, so I rename them accordingly.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

For me, part of the fun is thinking of a name that fits. Like hey, I named him that! Groovy man.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Redith
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: several

Unread post by Redith »

I love giving my pets new names even if they are named mobs
Skoll is now Raiden
Loque is Wraith
My Krush is Rhage
Kyria
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord & Nesingwary

Unread post by Kyria »

Depends on the pet, but usually I'll rename previously named pets, since I'm on a roleplay server and I don't want to be all "yeah, I tamed the one and only ____ *preen*". I can only think of two exceptions, Taizak's Mongress and Lyrea's Chatter, and Ly's on Nesingwary, a normal server, so that's not really any big deal.

Thanks to Vephriel for the beautiful signature! <3
Dragon Cave!

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Monica Gems »

The pet gets a new name. Period. I laugh to myself when I see Jadefang the Jadefang, Sambas the Sambas, etc. Nice creative name you gave your pet there.

Also, not naming it makes me feel like the mob is begrudgingly following me, it's not my pet, like my cat is.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Monica Gems wrote:The pet gets a new name. Period. I laugh to myself when I see Jadefang the Jadefang, Sambas the Sambas, etc. Nice creative name you gave your pet there.
Well, I don't quite think that's fair, saying people who keep rare names are 'uncreative'. My Humar kept the name b/c people kept asking if it was Pitch, plus, I LOVE that name. Takk, same reasons. Some pets, for me at least, just aren't the same w/o the rare name. I don't name all my rares what they are in the wild (like Ictus my Krush, or Espeon my Gondria), but if I like the name, and the name seems to fit for me, I generally keep it unless I have another in mind.

I think Blizzard does an amazing job at naming most of their rares, and if I like the combo, it'll stay for me. Another factor is that sometimes, I get to know a rare on a 'personal' level, and to me, even after taming, I can't think of them as anything but that rare. So naming 'x' rare 'y' name just doesn't seem right to me.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Normally I give them "fresh" names. The one exception to this is Loque, for whom there just didn't seem to be a better fitting name.