Just lost all my incentive on camping rarespawns

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: TW-Shadowmoon

Just lost all my incentive on camping rarespawns

Unread post by Taaveti »

I know there has already been a lot of grieving posts on here, but it's the first time to happen on myself and I just have to spit it out :(

I've been camping since 6am in the morning for Banny standing on top of the tree, sacrificing my sleep time, and had been the only one there. 8 hours later Banny spawned, and I flew up ready for her to get in range to tag her. Even as I was waiting I saw an Alliance hunter(I'm Horde) struggling to land on the tip of the tree. Then I tagged her, put down my trap, and proceeded to start taming. However, I didn't see the channeling bar. Being in such a situation for the first time I panicked, and started spamming my tame beast spell to no avail. Needless to say the tame finished and I saw Banny shrunk down, and not under my name.

I'm just so disappointed at this, and, yes, I know he might have camped longer than me, but regardless he wasn't there for the good 8 hours that I camped, and I'm so angry at myself of not responding better than 'spamming my tame button'

What would you guys have done under such a circumstance? I play on a PVE server so ganking him is not an option. Would you have tried to break the trap and disrupt his tame? Or would you just silently stand there and let your effort went to waste?

Anyway, I never really play with my BM spec, and I'm so disappointed that I think I'm gonna give up camping for the rarespawns for the moment (haven't slept in over 30 hours by now) (Though I did manage to grab Skarr, Karkin and Kirix on the first day fireland was available without the bug, and Skitterflame, Solix and Anthriss within the last 3 days, Banny was probably the last one that I want as I won't be camping Deth'Tilac with all the people there)
I'm just extremely disappointed at fellow hunters on my server.

I think I just need some love from fellow petopians =P
Last edited by Taaveti on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nimae
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Boulderfist

Re: Just lost all my incentive on camping rarespawns

Unread post by Nimae »

Sorry to read about the lost tame. I've been on the receiving end of stupid hunters, too, so I can commiserate. If it's any consolation, you now have one less hunter in the competition pool. I've also been there and spazzed out with tames, where I seem to go into tunnel vision--it's especially bad when you've invested a lot of long camp times into that short-lived spawn. Just take a break and, if you get that bug back to look, resort to fly-bys. Just cruise through and, if he's not there, go on with dailies or even log off and take a break; it's how I kept refreshed when camping for TLPD. I consoled myself with the idea that, if I'd missed a spawn, he wasn't my TLPD or [insert rare here]. :lol:

What I've learned over time is this: if people try to steal the tame, I do whatever I can to regain aggro. Distracting Shot has become my best friend when dealing with rude jerks like that--which, I suppose on a PvE server, might help when you can't retaliate against the actual player. (Edit: see Jessibelle's post below). If I see the rare would die with my continued effort, I judge the costs--do I want to keep that other cheating hunter in the competition? Or cut my losses and just report them to wowjackass.com? I have no patience for moochers. :lol:

Ban'thalos will spawn again, and that player won't always be there. I hope this helps console you in some way. :hug:
Last edited by Nimae on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks to Xakaal, Kurenio, Vephriel, Serenith, Sookie, Rongar, & Mossed for the amazing sigs (rotating), and to Serenith & Sookie for the (rotating) avatars!
Dragon Cave: My Scroll! ••• Ghosts of Christmas Past Lineage Project

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Go take a break. Ban'thalos just wasn't meant to be. Though I'm curious how the heck they managed to do that when you say they were struggling.

Concussion: Distracting Shot no longer works on these guys. Just so you know.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Nimae
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Boulderfist

Unread post by Nimae »

Ah, thanks Jessibelle! It's been a while since I've had to go neck-and-neck with someone after PvPing with them. Good to know! :)

Thanks to Xakaal, Kurenio, Vephriel, Serenith, Sookie, Rongar, & Mossed for the amazing sigs (rotating), and to Serenith & Sookie for the (rotating) avatars!
Dragon Cave: My Scroll! ••• Ghosts of Christmas Past Lineage Project

Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Taaveti »

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind the next time I run into the same situation.

Now that my mind is clear, this has actually happened not so long ago. After taming Skarr on the first day the Molten Front became available, I also found Skitterflame around the corner. I then started trapping her and getting her energy down to tamable level. After the first trap an Alliance hunter arrived and, very nice of him, allowed me to continue my attempt. Unfortunately I clicked taming too early (at 20 energy) and Skitter charged through my third trap and I had to feign her off. He then had his turn and started taming while I sat and ate, and during her try a Horde hunter came by, and distracted Skitter off of him. The two started fighting over the spawn while I sat and watch, worrying over Skitter's fate, and at the end the Horde hunter proceeded to kill Skitter and it ended tragically.

Shortly after that I ran over Solix's cave, and found another Alliance hunter already kiting Solix while another Horde hunter stood and watch. His taming did not end well and died half way during taming, which then went after the Horde hunter. Since Solix was already at 10 energy and the Horde hunter chose to continue kiting her around, Solix died too, the second spider died right in front of me within 5 minutes.

It really isn't the faction that matters, it's the player; there goes my plan of stealing every rarespawn Alliances are taming from now on out of revenge =(
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I never camp any rares, I just keep checking for them and eventually I get them.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Taaveti »

*Update*
I know, I'm a terrible, terrible person, but I happened to come across Benny when I was flying my hunter there to do the dailies tonight(I do dailies on 6 chars and it happened to be my hunter). Then I saw there was already someone flying over the tree getting ready to tag her. But when I put my mouse over the hunter, he was from the same guild with the hunter that stole my tame.

I just couldn't resist it. Normally I would just let him do the tame and maybe hug and congratulate him on the tame, but seeing him from the same guild as 'that' hunter I just couldn't resist. I flew up the tree (and landed at the tip on my first try, I guess practicing does make perfect) and proceeded to tame away. I think he was in the same kind of shock I was in and I managed to finish the tame without much complications.

I know what I did was extremely bad and I might have caused the same kind of distress I was in to someone innocent (they could just be in the same guild and not knowing each other well). But I just couldn't stop feeling satisfied from the act of revenge.

*Update*
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Well technically you didnt do anything wrong. They didn't tag him so it was whoever got the shot first.

LisaaraPokefarm

Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Taaveti »

Oh, nah, I sank deep, very deep indeed.
As soon as I managed to land on top of the tree, he already tagged Banny and was laying down freezing trap. I was too slow on hitting the tame button so I meleed and broke the freezing trap, laid my own freezing trap, and started taming.
Honestly I totally expected my tame to be interrupted, and we'll end up fighting over the spawn for a bit. I was as surprised when my taming was finished as the time I lost my tame.

And that was, as I said, very bad manner =(
(But my bottom line will be, I'll in no way let Banny die as a result of our fight)
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Taaveti wrote: It really isn't the faction that matters, it's the player; there goes my plan of stealing every rarespawn Alliances are taming from now on out of revenge =(
I highly advise against this, it'll get yourself posted on WoWJackass. Really, what would the behavior serve, aside from greifing people who had NOTHING to do with you loosing one pet. The world does not revolve around a single hunter and I don't think anyone has the right to purposefully go out there and harass others just because they are having a bad time of it themselves. You're not solving the problem by escalating it.

Taaveti wrote:Oh, nah, I sank deep, very deep indeed.
As soon as I managed to land on top of the tree, he already tagged Banny and was laying down freezing trap. I was too slow on hitting the tame button so I meleed and broke the freezing trap, laid my own freezing trap, and started taming.
Honestly I totally expected my tame to be interrupted, and we'll end up fighting over the spawn for a bit. I was as surprised when my taming was finished as the time I lost my tame.

(But my bottom line will be, I'll in no way let Banny die as a result of our fight)
Well I'm glad that you got the owl, but I don't personally agree with the way you went about it, two wrongs never make a right. But you won't be after Banny again, maybe that hunter will get their chance without continuing this cycle.

And I don't mean to sound overly harsh, but stealing tames back and forth really doesn't solve anything.

Oh well, good luck with the rest of your hunting, maybe now that you've gotten what you are after you can help others you see who are trying to tame something themselves.
Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Taaveti »

Shade wrote:
Taaveti wrote: It really isn't the faction that matters, it's the player; there goes my plan of stealing every rarespawn Alliances are taming from now on out of revenge =(
I highly advise against this, it'll get yourself posted on WoWJackass. Really, what would the behavior serve, aside from greifing people who had NOTHING to do with you loosing one pet. The world does not revolve around a single hunter and I don't think anyone has the right to purposefully go out there and harass others just because they are having a bad time of it themselves. You're not solving the problem by escalating it.

Well I'm glad that you got the owl, but I don't personally agree with the way you went about it, two wrongs never make a right. But you won't be after Banny again, maybe that hunter will get their chance without continuing this cycle.

And I don't mean to sound overly harsh, but stealing tames back and forth really doesn't solve anything.

Oh well, good luck with the rest of your hunting, maybe now that you've gotten what you are after you can help others you see who are trying to tame something themselves.
Indeed, I totally agree with you, what I did was inexcusable.
In fact, I just ran into Karkin few minutes ago, after seeing an alliance hunter dying over and over trying to tame him. I went ahead and strangulate his barrage cast(I was on my DK) while he was taming, and there it goes. All it took was 1 spell to make him a happy hunter, and I was really glad I could help.
Harp

Unread post by Harp »

Just had to re-make an account for this, as honestly? Seriously? You think one random act of kindness takes away from what you did? I'm sorry but, you don't know if that hunter was even the same hunter who "stole" Banny from you. Hell it was probably an innocent hunter as I doubt there are many people with multiple lv 85 hunters out there.

You stole a tame- and you admit surprise as to why Ban wasn't killed? Or why the guy didn't try and take it back? Because he was probably like me when I had King Krush killed out from under me basically because a Deathknight ignored my begs, pleads and whispers to spare the green devilsaur for one last tame attempt. I just about broke down and cried because my own faction, fucked me over, for a stupid achievement.

So if you really think one random act of kindness on your DK, excuses what you did on your hunter, you're sorely mistaken. If you were really sorry you'd have made an ally toon and apologized to the dude. Or something. Anything. What you did is basically no better than the hunter who had Terrorpene killed out from under him basically. The only thing is you weren't a troll and sent the tear along with a mocking message.

Your admittance by the way, also helps fuel MY paranoia and despair over even trying to force myself to do firelands dailies to unlock the damn things and unphase crap so I can tame the rares I want. Because I don't want to run into dicks who'll ruin my day over a bunch of pixels just because I got lucky and got there first or, lo I happen to be the same faction who screwed them over. Or you know happen to be an innocent guild member or friend of someone/guild they detest.

Because honestly, this is no better than killing, the rare out from under the hunter, because you denied him HIS tame.

It's a sad state Petopia is becoming when griefers get coddled and not told the blunt truth. And honestly, I can't say I'm sad I left.
Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Monica Gems »

Yeah, stories like these are why I shake and cry when I tame a rare; you never know who has a grudge, or is just flat out rude.

I actually almost felt guilty when I tamed Kirix; People were dying, people were making him evade, and it was my tame of the 4 or 5 people trying that worked. I still felt a tinge of guilt.
Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Taaveti »

Harp wrote:Just had to re-make an account for this, as honestly? Seriously? You think one random act of kindness takes away from what you did? I'm sorry but, you don't know if that hunter was even the same hunter who "stole" Banny from you. Hell it was probably an innocent hunter as I doubt there are many people with multiple lv 85 hunters out there.

You stole a tame- and you admit surprise as to why Ban wasn't killed? Or why the guy didn't try and take it back? Because he was probably like me when I had King Krush killed out from under me basically because a Deathknight ignored my begs, pleads and whispers to spare the green devilsaur for one last tame attempt. I just about broke down and cried because my own faction, fucked me over, for a stupid achievement.

So if you really think one random act of kindness on your DK, excuses what you did on your hunter, you're sorely mistaken. If you were really sorry you'd have made an ally toon and apologized to the dude. Or something. Anything. What you did is basically no better than the hunter who had Terrorpene killed out from under him basically. The only thing is you weren't a troll and sent the tear along with a mocking message.

Your admittance by the way, also helps fuel MY paranoia and despair over even trying to force myself to do firelands dailies to unlock the damn things and unphase crap so I can tame the rares I want. Because I don't want to run into dicks who'll ruin my day over a bunch of pixels just because I got lucky and got there first or, lo I happen to be the same faction who screwed them over. Or you know happen to be an innocent guild member or friend of someone/guild they detest.

Because honestly, this is no better than killing, the rare out from under the hunter, because you denied him HIS tame.

It's a sad state Petopia is becoming when griefers get coddled and not told the blunt truth. And honestly, I can't say I'm sad I left.
If anything I said made you think that I thought I made it right, I apologize for my poor communication skill.
I am aware that what I did was unethical, and the small random act of kindness would not have made everything go away. But then why did I put it in my post? I honestly don't know. I think it is a stance that I intend to stay from now on and not the crime again. Never.

As for making an alliance alt to apologize to him. I typed well over a hundred words trying to explain why I didn't (max char slots, didn't catch his name with all the impulse etc) before I realized they were all just excuses. So you are right in this that I have not spent my best effort on making this right.

As for petopians becoming a place that cuddle griefers, none of the posts approved of my action, and I think basically every replies meant 'what you did was wrong', just in different ways.

Surely everyone knows an eye for an eye will never solve the problem, but when your King Krush was being killed, other than begging and crying, have you never even think of wanting to make him pay, for even the slightest moment? If so then I'll have to admit, you're a much better person than I will ever be. I made the mistake for acting on it on impulse, and I'm regretting it.
Last edited by Taaveti on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

You can't do that to people. You know how much it hurt to watch your tame get ripped away, and you thought it was "ok" because it was revenge? The odds of those 2 hunters being related outside of being in the same guild are probably very slim; you punished someone who had done nothing.

Serious question; when you look at the pet now, do you feel good? Or do you wonder if the hunter you stole from is making the same ranty post you did previous?
Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Taaveti »

Monica Gems wrote:You can't do that to people. You know how much it hurt to watch your tame get ripped away, and you thought it was "ok" because it was revenge? The odds of those 2 hunters being related outside of being in the same guild are probably very slim; you punished someone who had done nothing.

Serious question; when you look at the pet now, do you feel good? Or do you wonder if the hunter you stole from is making the same ranty post you did previous?
No, I do not feel good looking at her. And yes, I suppose he was ranting in his guild chat or to his friends the way I did.
I have actually given some serious thought on this matter during these few days (over something totally unrelated), before tonight's incident. If someone ever harm someone I care, could I let him just walk away? No, I'll do whatever I can, whatever it takes to make him regret what he did, and that will make me a potential threat to society.(Sorry for getting out of topic though)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

This is why it is best not to retaliate against innocent hunters, even if they're guilded with someone who wronged you in the past. Two wrongs do NOT make a right. Coming here and confessing isn't going to earn you any sympathy, regardless of how you were treated before.

We've seen it time and time again: hunters come here and post rants, only for the hunter they're ranting about to pop out of lurkdom and respond (and that's not taking the side of the ranter or the rantee). We're all part of the same community. The only people who deserve to have bad things happen to them are the ones who do bad things to others first.

This mentality of "well, it happened to me, so I can do it to someone else" makes you no better than the person who stole from you. You won't find sympathy here.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Kalliope wrote:This is why it is best not to retaliate against innocent hunters, even if they're guilded with someone who wronged you in the past. Two wrongs do NOT make a right. Coming here and confessing isn't going to earn you any sympathy, regardless of how you were treated before.

We've seen it time and time again: hunters come here and post rants, only for the hunter they're ranting about to pop out of lurkdom and respond (and that's not taking the side of the ranter or the rantee). We're all part of the same community. The only people who deserve to have bad things happen to them are the ones who do bad things to others first.

This mentality of "well, it happened to me, so I can do it to someone else" makes you no better than the person who stole from you. You won't find sympathy here.
To expand real quick, that's where Karma comes in. Believe in it or not, what goes around comes right back around. It's not really YOUR place to dish it out, especially when it's the wrong person =\
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kalliope wrote:This is why it is best not to retaliate against innocent hunters, even if they're guilded with someone who wronged you in the past. Two wrongs do NOT make a right. Coming here and confessing isn't going to earn you any sympathy, regardless of how you were treated before.

Agreed. There was a dude who griefed me....like bad. He griefed me on Ayaanka and Taluwen with my Terrorpene camps. He's the same douchebag that killed TLPD from under me even though he had the mount already. But....I made friends with two hordies from his guild while camping Skarr and Karkin. They're the same people who cheered for me when Skarr spawned and helped me get him. So I agree....same guild doesnt mean everyone from the guild is a douchebag.

LisaaraPokefarm

AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

You realize what you did is Griefing right ? Also, by openly admitting to what you did ads to it. You should read my sticky about Griefing.

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... 15&t=13713
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!